Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie - Glad you are having the leg checked out and pray everything will be okay... no clots. I forgot about Vitamin C being a healer. DH has good and bad days and he just might need some Vit-C to help speed up his healing. I'll have to tell him about that.

Rie - You could be cutting your cals too far back at 1000 and throwing your body into what they call starvation mode and it is holding on to what it has. It is something to think about.

Bonnie - So sorry about the family problems going on, but glad you are there for your aunt. Sounds like she really needs you. Hope things get better soon.

I woke up this morning with another charliehorse in my left leg. I wake up to one in one or both legs everyday. I take the B vitamins but it isn't keeping me from having them. I decided that I'm not going to put up with them. I'm going off the Metformin since cutting it back doesn't seem to help either. Decided there is only one thing to do, take care of the FBG with low carb diet. Definitely on strict low carb kind of a combo of Atkins/Dukan. More of an Atkins with lower fat. I'm not much of a fat eater any way, but I really think the fat is important. When I've gone too low on fat, my hair starts falling out and my nails go frail. So I will not do a no fat diet at all. I will be eating more of an Atkins with some fat. I know this will control the blood sugar, I'll lose weight and I love how people who lose weight eating low carb looks. I should have stuck with this a year and a half ago when I first found out about the diabetes. It took me only 3 months to get all my blood work #s back to normal with Atkins. I was so stupid as I treated it like we do most "diets"... I hit my goal of getting things under control and then I quit and started playing around looking for a diet that would let me eat whatever I wanted and IT'S NOT OUT THERE. Plus my body obviously likes and functions better with low carb. So I'm going with it. I finished 6 days of the Dukan Attack phase, so now I'm switching to Atkin's Induction with a little tweaking on the fats.

Everybody have a great Saturday. Catch y'all later.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #92  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for the BDay wishes, chickies. I've had a day doing exactly what i felt like doing which included a trip to the city to poke around the shops. My special dinner tonight will be moules mariniere with toast and a spinach salad. there will be a bit of chamagne sipped as well - leftovers from Christmas Eve.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #93  
Come on Spring!

FBGL this morning 4.3 and Mr Scale finally dropped into the 170s!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

fbs at 79 this morning. My weight is no longer "steady". I am now calling it "stuck". Of course, saying I am having slow digestion problems (sorry tmi) is an understatement. I will keep on and keep the faith.

Ruth, Into the 170's.... Yay. what a great birthday present! I am happy for you.

Trish, What about potassium? I get charlie horses really bad if I don't get enough potassium and calcium. I have always eaten bananas to provide potassium and then started supplementing when I got the diabetes dx and I don't eat them anymore. If I miss a few days..... OUCH. Just saying.... It could be the metformin.. but how much potassium are you getting?

Bonnie, Mad and others.... Happy Sunday.

Rie
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #95  

Ruthie - Yahooo!!! So happy for you to make it into the 170s.

Rie - I was also having some pain in my back and it seems to have lifted a lot since I stopped the Met. I usually take potassium with magnesium, but haven't in the last few days. Maybe I should start taking it again. I take 1200 mg of calcium a day as well beside the foods I eat with the calcium because I know that calcium is so important when eating low carb. Thanks for the reminder. I thought my exhaustion feeling was the extreme low carb I had been doing, but maybe it is the combo of not taking the potassium and the low carb. I had worked myself up to 2000 mg Met a day and backed off to 1500 mg. Maybe now that I'm eating healthier with moderately low carb, perhaps I can take just 1000 mg. I really hate giving Met up completely. Doc had told me that I could up it to 2000 as long as my body could handle it. Perhaps my body is telling me that it can't handle the 2000, but will handle the 1000. I know it is important at least until I get the blood sugar completely under control and I'm not really there yet. I decided to divide the 1000 mg in half and take a total of 1000 a day starting today.

Today, I was my WI day and I really am down to 219 lbs. I am now working toward 209. I found my little book where I wrote down my weight and measurements on Dec 26th and I have actually lost 9 lbs since Christmas. Didn't check the measurements as I plan to do that on Jan 26th. I have made my 1st goal which I wanted to make before I go back to the doc. I go back on Feb 1st. So I have time to go down some more before then.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #96  
Come on Spring!

Up way too early again although I didn't go to bed until 11. BGL just fine despite my birthday dinner last night. Yes, I did have a small piece of my BD dessert and it was worth the calories! I may have laughed them off though.

A normal day lies ahead with gym at 7:30, being gentle and careful with my legs. It's cold today and the osteo-arthritis is acting up. "Uncle Arthur is visiting" as they say around here.

I hope your mid-January Monday goes well and you do something nice for yourself.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #97  

Good Morning all!

fbs at 84 this morning and I did 50 minutes of "old school" low impact aerobics. It was fun and a really good workout.

I have been wishing for snow and we are getting it. However, I was hoping for one of those pretty, large flake gently falling kind of storms. Instead it is currently -16 below and the wind is blowing something fierce.

Ruth, I smiled at the image of you laughing away the calories at your birthday supper. How lovely. And certainly deserved.

Hello out there! BBL

Rie
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #98  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey Yall Good afternoon here boy this day is almost gone . I hope to be able to come by on a daily bases now everything is calmed down. I am getting my TV hooked up tonight and I will alos have them hook the wii back up too. Then I can get to working on loosing weight again Yes I have not really gained much but I need to get back into it. Guess I will be on meds longer then I wanted to. Well I better be going I have lots to do. I hope all is having a great day....
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #99  

Good afternoon. Guess I needed the potassium as I didn't wake up with leg cramps even though I took 1000 mg Met yesterday. So hopefully that will help. FBS was back up, but it's because I ate too many carbs yesterday so not doing well on a very low carb woe. I am still counting WW P+ for portion control and doing moderate low carb. I figure that is better than doing nothing. Drinking loads of water and green tea today.

Have the kids home today and no one told me that SIL had to work today so I stayed up late and got up late to find that both DD and her hubby were gone and 18 yr old was taking care of the baby. He had stayed up late and planned to sleep in himself. I don't think he knew his step-dad was working today either. He usually has Monday off and we all just assumed he was since no one told us different.

Bonnie Glad to see you were able to check in and that things have calmed down.

Rie We haven't had a snow yet. We were told you don't get one every year hear by the guy who built our house, but we've had at least 1 and sometime 2 every year since we moved here 5 years ago. However, we have had the cold.

Ruthie I think you deserved to enjoy your BD dessert. Glad you did.

Not much going on here today. I think sleeping late only makes me sleepier. I could take a nap everyday about this time.

Y'all have a good Monday.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #100  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi Friends: first of all, A belated for Ruth! Sorry I missed it.
Was away for a few days, visiting with friends, managed not to gain or go off track from plan, so was happy to be able to be social and not go off plan, other than a small glass of wine one evening. Got out a a little ski while there. The weather was cold and crisp, and I need to remember to take my puffer BEFORE exercising in those conditions.
Today (tmi) having very loose bowel conditions, so tummy is sore and gassy, hope to be able to go to yoga later, but not if I have to worry about leaving the room too quickly.
This is on call and post-partum visit week for me, but not expecting to be terribly busy. Start a little holiday on Monday for 2 weeks, looking forward to it. GOing skiing for a week. FBS are in the 5s, but I did a random last week, my bs monitor said 5.7 but the lab value was 3.1 (a low!) I used blood from my arm, not a capillary to test, so don't know why that was. So have to wonder about the tests that keep showing in the 5s, maybe I am doing better than I think.

WOW, such a lot happening. Ruthie, you are chasing me down the scale, I must get on track and match you. I think lower carb WW would be a solution, and I may even join for a while to get on track.
BOnnie, hope all is well for Auntie and her family, and that you are all a blessing and can help reduce stress for her.
Trish, congrats too on your weight loss, thats a nice milestone to pass. Keep up the good work, and hope DH gets better too.
Rie, Lindyloo and everyone, hello.

talk to you all tmw I hope.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #101  
Madeleine

good morning ladies: fbs was 5.8 this am, inspite of not eating much yesterday. Weight is true to ticker, as I had an upset tummy and the runs and didn't eat much as a result. Feel ok this am, so back to normal eating. Meeting a friend for lunch, going to a place where I can eat on plan.
Researched local ww meetings, there is one on Wed nights in my area, so I am thinking of it. What do you think of the costs? Is the support and info worth it?
Have a good Tuesday friends.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #102  

Everybody

Busy day today. Therapist comes at noon to work with the baby and I have loads of work to do today. Weight is up a little bit because of going from strict low carb to eating. I think the best food plan that probably combine Atkins and Dukan is South Beach. Going to continue using WW P+ to control portions, but use the South Beach Phase 2 as a guideline because it uses good fats and as you know I don't like going totally FF. I just don't think it is healthy. Even my doc says you need some fat.

Mad I do WW at home so not sure about the cost. I would probably do meetings if I had the time, but don't have the time right now. The wonderful thing about WW these days is that it will fit any way we decide to eat. Check and see, but I think you sometimes can have a free visit to see if you will like it or it would be helpful to you.

Everybody have a great Tuesday!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #103  

Hello all,

Well, for the first time in months, I forgot to test this morning. What is up with that??? Oh well, I tested a little more than an hour after breakfast and my bs is a steady 103. Pretty good. My weight is still stuck, hoping that I will see a loss later this week.

Mad, I have never done ww. I have watched lots of people do it, some with success, some without much success - like any other plan. I have looked at it but I had a hard time with converting to points and then counting points. I would rather just count carbs and calories. The reason that there are so many diet plans is that we are all blessedly different.

Trish, I think that we need some fat, also. It is important for so many body functions. I hope you have a good day. Sorry about the baby sitting mix up yesterday.

Bonnie, it will be lovely to have you back in the group.

Ruth, I also forget about the value of vitamin C. It is interesting to me that many of my canadian friends speak of their docs recommending supplements at various times. Rarely happens her in the US, except for calcium and aspirin therapy. Hmmmmmm.

Hello to everyone I missed. I am just running late today. Later.

Rie
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #104  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Freeeeezing here -31 and with the wind chill I think it's about -40. Glad I don't have to go out anywhere.

BS was 7.1 this morning, not bad for me.

Ruth, a belated Happy Birthday to you. Sorry I missed it.

I have done WW a few times, but just can't seem to stick with it. I also can't see paying whatever it is now ($15?) a week. Just can't justify the amount every week.

Slow cooker beef soup for dinner tonight and I might treat myself to a WW bun.

Have a great day.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #105  
Madeleine

for those who can handle oatmeal in the mornings, (personally love it) I made steel cut oats in my slow cooker. I put in the oats, with a litre of soy milk, (I always cook mine in milk or soy milk to up the protein) in the crock after I had sprayed with non-stick spray. It cooked overnight while I slept. Was enjoyed by all.

Got to yoga this am, and ate on plan today except for a bit of chocolate. I am a chocoholic and may have to enter rehab to get off this habit. But calorie-wise, did fine today.

THink I will check out ww tomorrow night, can't hurt and probably better than the doctor bernsteins I was thinking of.
Closed Thread