Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #136  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue; get a book about type 2 diabetes from the library, or check out the Blood sugar 101 website: and read about sugar dumping. Our liver stores glycogen, (we made glucose from it) and we dump it into our blood overnight. The metformin is supposed to help that, and it your fasting stays high, your doctor may recommend a higher dose over time. Keep taking it, and keep testing and recording it, so you and your doctor can make an informed decision about it. FOr lots of us, it gets better over time, especially if you can start lowering your overall carbs.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Been a busy week and week end. I am staying on plan, but forgot to take my Metformin last night. I took the Valerian Root last night when I went to bed. I set my clock for 8am to go to a church meeting and was surprised that I not only slept really well, but I actually woke up 30 minutes early ready to go.

Not a lot going on around here. I saw where DD was talking to a friend of hers on FB about them moving up here and all of them moving in together. He told her they were looking at property up here. There may be hope for peace in my home again in the future although I'm not getting my hopes up until it happens. DH says they'll expect me to babysit, but I told him that I'm not going to do it. I do have a life and plan to get back to it when they move. I had to give up my Wednesday morning Bible Study this year and I plan to go back next year.

I signed up this morning and payed my deposit to go to Charlotte in October to attend a women's church function. I wanted to go this past year and couldn't, but I decided that I am going this year. I am going to work toward getting a lot of this weight off to be healthy so I will be able to get around. This gives me a goal and something to work towards.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #138  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

quick wave as i pass by on my way to the gym this morning. DH likes to go on sundays. so saturday is now my day off. i liked sundays. today is the last day of a perfert week for me. it's been a looooonnnnggg time since i have had a perfect week. as in eating exercise will come back again. eating is the most important part. excited to see what the scale holds in the morning. i have taken peeks here and there and looks good. need to get breakfast so i can get going.
later
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #139  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

4.4 but weight is up a bit - probably from the swelling of my knee which is somewhat better this morning. I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday and eating was not good. Today will be better although I am still going to take it easy with the knee. I'll have a high fibre shake for breakfast, some bean soup for lunch and plan to make a yummy tomato mushroom sauce to have on $hitaki noodles for dinner with a spinach salad.

Hang in there, chickies. We can control this thing.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #140  
Madeleine

Still learning about ww systems and trying to marry the low carb and ww. I have been indulging in a few more carby things, and I think thats a bit of a problem, although I am in points range. With the higher fat diet of atkins, which I am used to, I have to lower my fat intake with the extra carbs I am eating. ww doesn't count unsweetened fruit, but the extra cals with the fats seems to be a problem.
Today is my sweet Lilia's first birthday, and I will be going to a lovely birthday party, complete with east Indian buffet feast. I am making "cauliflower rice" to use there.
Realized suddenly that my holidays start tomorrow! DH and I have taken a cottage near a ski area, and I will be skiing and playing on the trails with the dog all week long. We will have internet, so will still be checking in.

CHipper, glad you had such a good week. Ruth, watch that knee. ANd Trish, here's hoping a new year will bring some good changes at home.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Friends. Happy Sunday!

fbs at 81 this morning. I am very frustrated with the scale but I am going to keep the faith and hope for a loss soon. I went sledding with the kids (pulling sleds behind our big 4 wheeler). It was so much fun. I am a little sore this morning but it was worth it. I don't feel too bad because my ds is also sore. I was teasing him that he is 20 years younger than me so he shouldn't complain. I did injure my tailbone in a fall and I can't sit unless I shift from side to side.

Ruth? What is wrong with your knee? Is that the injury from last summer? Take care of yourself?

Mad, isn't it interesting how different plans emphasize different foods? How is your hunger with the change from fat to more healthy carbs? I love that cauliflower rice recipe. Enjoy Lilia's birthday. And I can't wait to hear about the cottage and your adventures.

Trish, I am so glad that you registered for the women's event. It is so important that you do things for yourself. I hope that things get better for you in this new year. Hold fast to your determination to be a grandma in the future and not a babysitter/mom. It is the right thing to do for everyone.

Chipper, here's hoping for a good result for you on the scale!

Rie

Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #142  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Rie, the knee is the other one. I had a total replacement in 2008 and the thing is giving me grief. No idea why as it just happened overnight. Tylenol3 and Aleve are my friends. It's almost back to sore normal this morning though.

BGL was 5.2 this morning - up a bit from usual although I had $hitaki noodles as my pasta last night. (Gotta love that censor that can't handle those noodles or pu$$ywillows!) I'm off to the gym this morning for gentle treadmill and upper body work. I don't want to get out of that good habit again.

Happy last full week of January.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #143  

Good Morning Everyone.

Just a quick hello this morning. Today is a day of house cleaning and laundry. My usual Monday with some other stuff thrown in that I need to do. I've let a lot of things I need to do for Tony and me go to take care everyone else. Changing that today. I'm in the process of taking charge of my life in a lot of ways other than just food. I can't stand my house the way it is so going to try to get some things organized.

Rie - I am taking my life back. I intend to find a calm time when I can have a talk with DD and let her know what I expect. Tony told me a few nights ago that my only responsiblity is supposed to be him. He has made it quite clear over the years that we couldn't take care of different ones in my family and I intend to make it clear that I feel the same way about things. I am 68 years old and I've babyset (had my on business for year) all I really want to. I retired because I am ready to enjoy what years I have left of my life. She had her tubes untied so she could have this baby so she and her DH need to take responsibility for him. Tony made it clear when they moved here that he is their responsibility when they are home and I have been enforcing that lately. I had to because I learned that if I would get him up and take care of him then she wouldn't do any of it. Very sad but if I give her an inch she will take a mile. I will say that on her DH days off, he takes care of him. I don't see him or the baby much when he is home. I really get a day off when he is home unless he has a migrane which has only happened once and he kept him until he just couldn't.

Ruthie - I hope your knee is better soon.

Bonnie, Chipper, Fatmad and everyone else

Guess I better get to that wash.

Y'all have a great Monday!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Good morning. My fbs was 140 this morning. Not great, but not as high as it usually is. As usual, after I see my morning reading, I fret over what my doctor is going to say when I go back in March. And then I get over it and hope that it'll be better tomorrow. I'm frustrated with myself as usual because I 'fell off the wagon' again on Saturday. I just get sooo bored on the weekend and have no motivation to do anything so I end up sitting around doing nothing. Watching tv mostly. And that leads to eating. So my nearly 10 pound weight loss is now back to nearly 8 pound weight loss. :-( I was soooo close to breaking 220. And now I've got a few more weeks again before that will happen. Anyway, I'm trying not to wallow in it, pick myself up, and get motivated for this week. But I definitely need to figure out something to do over the weekends or I'll always set back any weight that I lose during the week.

So that's my story for the day. Hope everyone has a good Monday.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #145  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

good morning....
i see everyone is going right along with life. trish..today is my cleaning and laundry day. i just finished it. went to the gym to start putting together a strength training workout for me. today i wrote down the amount of weigh i need to start at. now to put it all together. the scale was great this morning. down a few pounds i will take what i can get. washer is going, house clean, me clean, doggies sleeping. i think i might go watch some tv, have some lunch soon, and take a nap.
have a great day.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #146  

Happy Monday!

fbs at 90 this morning and I am not sure why it is up a little. Nothing in my diet yesterday or last night to bring it up. Oh well. I am happy that the scale finally moved a smidge and I am down another pound. Yay! I did an hour of walkitout this morning and included about 10 minutes of stretching.

Ruth, I am sorry that the knee is giving you fits. The ortho guys here are really pushing me to get mine done. I would really like to come closer to goal weight and get even stronger before that happens. Hopefully!

Trish, I am proud of you for finding a way to stand your ground. It is tough but it is better for everyone. My ds moved in here when his little one was almost 2. The little guy had issues and needed treatment and stability. Ds does ALL the housekeeping, marketing, etc to "earn" his rent. Now he is going to school and still does the majority of the work. Tony is right - at this stage in your lives you should only be taking care of each other. The most difficult thing for me, has been to LET him parent. Sometimes I would jump in ahead of him. I have really tried to train myself to let him be a parent his way. That is hard.

Aliasihaya, this is a journey, one step at a time. It sounds like you have identified a problem with weekends. Can you get the junk out of the house? I know, for me, it all starts with that morning workout. If I get that done, I am much less likely to eat badly or make other bad decisions. I watch tv much less than I used to.... it is important to break the habits. Another trick: I used to tell myself that I could only snack or eat after I had eaten something like 2 large cups of plain romaine lettuce. Filled me up and stopped the urge to snack or binge. Believe me, once you change your relationship with food, it is a very different life. Hang in there.

Chipper, good for you for mixing weight lifting in your routine. I am trying to get back to that because I would really like to just enjoy aerobics everyday. However, I believe in strength training.

Well, Bonnie, Lindy, Mad and others..... I will check back later.

Rie

Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #147  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey ladies been busy here. Had to take my daughter to the dr this morning she had a bad allergy attack this morning from some face cream. I also went to the Dr this morning and my FBS was 99 this morning and my A1C was 5.6 so was up three point from last time but thats all good. But she has kept me on all my meds . But I will be good. Got to run so will get back soon....
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #148  
Madeleine

Hi everyone: I am on holiday but the owners of the cottage we are borrowing have left internet and their laptop for us. Which is good, since DH forgot to pack my laptop cord.
Ruth, Hope the knee straightens out, don't know why it would act up now, unless the coumadin is causing problems? if its not better or gets work, get thee to your doctor ok?
Trish, I think there is something to backing off and letting her parent in her way, even if you don't like how that is. You can still be a loving grandma to this little one, and still have some sanity.
Hello to everyone.
Didn't get skiing today, between packing, and appt this am, and the drive here, and the rain, it wasn't the day for skiing. We took the dog on a nice trail walk. We are not so close to skiing here as renting slopeside, but we can bring the dog and that is nice not to have to pay for kennelling, and she is happy here. Tomorrow should be colder, and snow coming, so here's hoping for some activity point.
Decided to embrace the whole ww thing. I am "smart carbing" and bs ok with that. Lots of veggies, my celeriac soup is just 1or 2 points a bowl, all from the olive oil I used to saute the veggies before they go in the broth. I am making pot roast tmw, and most of the veggies will be freebies too. It is hard to get away from the higher fat of atkins, but if it works, I will be happy.
Trish, I am not sure how you are marrying the atkins or low carb and ww. I found I was too hungry and was using up all my flex points and still hungry. I didn't worry about portion control too much on atkins. No I am measuring and weighing. I bought a new kitchen scale, my old one wasn't working well and wasn't digital, so this one is more accurate. Even if I go back to atkins later, learning portion control will be good.
I did well at the party yesterday, better than I was worried I would be, anyhow.
tata friends, and hope Tuesday is a good day for everyone.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #149  

Good Morning!

fbs at 87 after a short and restless night. Whhooooosh goes the scale as I am down another pound this morning. This is my lowest weight in about 20 years. I am in the middle of a busy week so the goal will be for measured eating and activity.

Bonnie, I hope your daughter recovers quickly. It is so nice to hear from you.

Chipper, how did it go at the gym?

Ruth, hoping the knee is continuing to improve.

Mad, I will enjoy hearing about your holiday. It sounds really lovely

Trish, is your dh starting to feel better? I hope so.

Alias, remember, progress, not perfection.

Must run. So much to do today. Take care.

Rie
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #150  

Rie - CONGRATULATIONS on the 1 lb loss. I know it has been slow coming. That is where we have to be patient knowing that given time it will come off. Maybe just not as fast as we want, darn it.

Bonnie - Hope DD is feeling better today. Allergies are really difficult to deal with sometimes. Your BS really was good as you have been so busy.

Fatmad - I agree. I don't think DD is as attentive as she should be with her baby. I realize she is very busy studying etc, but she seems to not want to deal with him. This is why he was behind with his growth before they moved here, because no one played with him or worked with him. He was sort of put on the back burner. It was easier just to change him and poke a bottle in his mouth. Tony made it clear to them in the beginning that they were expected to take care of all their children when they were home. I have had to go along with him although I do spend quality time with the baby and he is such a smart little boy. Just needed someone to work with him. He feeds himself finger foods and we are working on using a spoon now. I do love watching a little one learn and grow.
As for the Atkins and WW, I didn't do it very well because of the fat content. I'm sort of embracing Intuitive Eating with WW. I'm trying to learn to recognize when I'm hungry and eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm satisfied and not eat on a schedule or by the clock. I think WW used to have a plan similar to this which I think they called Core. Some of us combined Flex and Core and I think they called it Flore. I guess you would say that is kind of what I'm doing now. I love being able to have most veggies and fruits as freebies. There are so many to choose from and I too love to make soups with them. and I also love salads made with the freebies so that I only have to count the dressing or oil in it. The nice thing about soups and salads is they are more like volumetrics woe and they make you feel full because of the fiber in them. I'm finding that I am averaging about 35 pts a day give or take a few which actually uses up the weekly pts as well as any activity pts I may have although I don't really count activity pts. I just enjoy being able to eat what I want and I'm finding that I really want what is good for me and since I'm satisfied I don't get hungry as often.

Ruthie - Hope your knee is feeling better today.

Chipper - CONGRATS on being down a few lbs.

Aliasihaya - Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time to get things together with this disease and find the way that we can make a lifestyle we can live with. I think I have to learn how to eat for me to be healthy and get this disease under control. I know from past experience that I can get down to a weight to where diabetes is no longer a part of my life, but I also realize that I have to see it from a different perspective. If I had done that before I would not be struggling with it again. I have to learn how to eat and make it a normal way of life for me eat to live healthy and not to ever think it as a "diet". I got my diabetes under control twice in my life, but when the numbers either became normal or improved, I went back to eating the way I did that brought it on. For me a "diet" is something you do to reach a goal and then you go back to eating the way you did before. Reach goal and "dieting" is over. So I can't think of my way of controling diabetes as a "diet". I think the only way I will ever succeed at getting it back under control is to just eat healthy and think of it as a "lifestyle". At least that is what I hope will work for me. I can follow a plan like WW, but I just can't think of it as being on a diet any more. Just me.

Guess I better go feed this little boy. I'm not hungry, but I'm sure he is. Didn't intend to make this so long.

Have a good day.
Closed Thread