Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #16  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning. Well, I already ruined the day. I had 2 pieces of sprouted grain toast with SF marmalade AND a bowl of cheerios.

No more carbs for me today, and I'll have to deal with a spike now

Have a great day.

Last edited by Lindyloo; 01-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Hello Friends!

Trish, I won't try to give you advice because you and dh have enough people pushing at you. I hope that you find your way through it. Your dh is in for a lot of trouble with the IBS if he doesn't get his stress level down and I wonder about the effect on you, as well. Remember, no one can take advantage of you without your permission

Well, I still have a very sore mouth but I am back at work today. I should be worried about food choices but I just don't have any appetite. I certainly can't eat my usual salads.... Later
Rie
We never got to talk to anyone because we aren't all together at one time. I agree that DH can't get control of his health until the stress level lets up so I made a decision to take control of this situation myself. I was upset when we were at the ER and the doctor came in to ask Tony why he was there. DD's DH stood behind the curtain doing a "sad story motions" like Tony was acting. We were at the hospital because DH blood work showed he was in trouble and the doctor sent him to the ER. This was serious. I lost all respect for him from that moment on. He is the one who should be taking care of his family, not Tony and me. So I made up my mind that I'm not allowing this stuff to go on in my house any longer. My DH doesn't have the strength to walk a room without losing his breath or having to sit down and rest before he can go any further so he can't deal with all this. So I did it. I took it upon myself to put my foot down with the children. I know they tell their Mother everything and I'm sure they did. I made it clear that obviously what they call clean and what is clean is very different. Made it clear that they may like living in filth, but I refuse to live like pigs. I already told the oldest GD that there will be no more late night baking since they refuse to clean up afterwards and leave crumbs all over the place because I am not going to have to clean up the mess they leave in my kitchen before I can go to bed. There are times I can't even get to bed until after midnight because no one wants to or will do it. I was very harsh, but as my own grandson says about me "I'm fair". I told them I didn't know if they were lazy, stupid or just didn't give a s*?t or just had no common sense but they needed to realize where they would be if their Grandad and I had not let them move in here. They would be living on the street. Told the oldest grandson that I know that his mother told him that her Daddy has money but he doesn't and our money is going fast and if we run out of money because they waste utilities etc, that we will have to sell our house and DH and I will have to move into an apartment or condo and they will find themselves on the street and it doesn't matter if they believe it or not because they will believe it and live it when it happens.

Thank you... I like what you said about no one can take advantage of me without my permission. I think that is what I realized this morning when I decided that I don't have to allow this to go on one moment longer and I wasn't going to. Last night DH told his DD that they need to take care of their cars because if they don't and they lose their car(s) or something happens to one of them that they will not be allowed to drive ours because that is all we have. We have noticed that while they say they have no money to help around here... they always have it to take the kids out to eat and I don't mean McDonalds either. I'm talking expensive places.

I told DH this morning that him and getting him well is my first priority.

Thanks Rie I appreciate the advice you have given me.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #18  

Ruthie - I have asked myself that question many a time. How in the world can I sit down and pig out on food(s) that I don't even like. Not sure what that is all about. If you ever find the answer, please let me know.

Rie - DH has a SIL who lost weight when she had all her teeth pulled and got dentures. I wondered if I would do that if I had mine all pulled, but when I had my teeth pulled and my bridges put in, it didn't work for me. In fact, it worked the opposite for me because I could now chew foods I couldn't chew before. Hope things get better for you soon.

Lindyloo - Your breakfast actually sounded good. I have also eat a whole grain waffle with sugar free jelly.

Fatmad - Actually like tai chi and would love to do it. One of my sons used to do it and spoke very highly of it. I never have trouble with my knees, but I did when I tried it before. However, I have wondered if maybe it would have made them stronger if I had kept doing it. Maybe I will try it again. I honestly believe meditation is very good for us because it give you a sense of peace. Hope things get better for you with your DD. It is so strange to me how they seem to believe we owe them something. I never felt that way with my parents and still don't. In fact, at this point, I feel it is my responsibility to be as helpful with my dad as I can be. In fact, I consider it a privilege and honor. Deceased hubby and I took care of his Mother and Tony and I took care of his Mother. I have to say that it was a privilege and honor to take care of them right up until they drew their last breath. Times sure are different than they were when we grew up.

chipper and Bonnie Are y'all enjoying our cold spell? It's already 27 degrees here and supposed to get down to 18 tonight. Sure will enjoy and aprreciate my warm bed tonight.

In the midst of all this, my eating has been right on. No problem staying OP.

I appreciate each and every one of y'all.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #19  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Hello all. I hope 2012 will be a better year for me but it isn't looking like it so far. I'm praying that I can garner the smarts to change some things without creating more distress in my life. I honestly need to run away or kick out a bunch of people in my life. Unfortunately, I'm related to those people.

I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I'm taking the Met 2 times a day and my morning reading is coming down. It is now in the 140s. I'm doing well with keeping my carbs within the 120 - 140 gms/day. However, it seems that the ones I let through are sending my numbers up. 2 hours after I eat my reading can be in the 200s.

I CANNOT get over the cost of those stupid strips! After insurance, I paid $75 for 100 strips. I can't afford to check my numbers more than 2 times a day and if I get an error, I won't check again. What a racket!

I'm supposed to have a class tomorrow but haven't received a call confirming. Hopefully it will come in after 7. We'll be taking the class together since he does most of the cooking.

Ruth, how do you get a BGL?

Lindy, do you have a meter that gives you the A1C?

I have a One Touch meter and VERY sore fingers. I had to increase the pressure to 6 because 5 doesn't do it for me.

Where do you dispose of your lancets? I'm collecting mine and think I'll take them to the grocery store around here that has one of those disposal things in the bathroom.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #20  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Nothing to report - still 182 and BGL up a tiny bit to 5.0, probably from pasta last night. Did OK at the food fiesta yesterday - one glass of wine and three shrimp plus some celery.

Mare, I agree the strips are an atrocious price! That's a good idea for needle disposal although I use mine more than once for testing. My BGL is blood glucose level. Oh I just realized you wonder about my readings. In Canada we follow the international standard for measuring - a 4.3 reading is 77.4. Just multiply by 18. I don't know of any meter that gives you HA1C as it is a measurement from three weeks of 24 hour blood levels.

Off to the Big City (Ottawa) at noon today to spend 24 hours with my dear friend Shirleyanne. We've been friends since 1958 and still have lots to gab about despite weekly phone calls. I'll keep an eye on what I eat - she's a healthy cook but a food pusher!

Happy Hump Day, Chickies.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Happy Hump Day!

fbs at 78 today. I slept well. Still not feeling strong enough to work out.

Ruth, a little shrimp, wine and celery are a victory and good for the soul. Enjoy your visit with your friend.

Trish, good for you. I know that you will find your way through this. You are doing a good job of staying op with your eating. Do you think that dh would do some meditation with you? You might be able to download something from the internet as a guide. I used to do guided imagery with kids and often would use prerecorded tapes.

Mare, this whole process takes time. I know it is hard, but patience is your friend. Just continue to try to "spend" all your carbs on high nutrient/high fiber foods. Are you able to test on your arm? Or on the little pad between your index finger and thumb? Sometimes those hurt less.

Hi Lindy, I eat exactly the same thing every day for breakfast because then I don't have to think or make choices on the spot. It might be a good idea to add some protein to your breakfast.

Chipper, Bonnie, Fatmad, Good morning! Happy Hump Day

Rie
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #22  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone: have been sticking to plan in spite of temptations, I succeeded in tossing out the tempting things in the fridge. A first, we took DD out for an after class meal, to a place called Zoup, and she had her soup and bun and I had, A DIET COKE. Did not eat, since I had had lunch 2 hours before. I can always find an excuse to eat, but I was honestly not hungry so didn't eat. Went to yoga afterward, and home for a decent supper. Its silly how proud of myself I am.
Rie: hope your mouth is healing up. DH has had several oral surgeries, and doesn't much like the soft stuff, so ends up losing some weight too.
Ruth, get that cake out of the house and eat well at ShirleyAnnes, a good friend I am sure understands healthy eating for you. The company will make it all taste excellent.
Lindy, I am not as good at meal planning as I would like to be, but maybe planning out some meals will help you bring that carb level to where you want it to be.
Mare: those spikes are telling you that those are carbs you may want to avoid, or only eat in small amounts. No matter what, grains really spike me. I can have the occasional half slice of sprouted grain bread with peanut butterm but otherwise, really cannot handle them. (the fat and protein in the pebu slows down the carb intake) You are paying too much, I pay $80 for 100 one touch strips with no insurance. I wonder if you order on line if its better, or switching meters. Lots of people use the relion from walmart. Its a lot cheaper. You might consider only testing a couple of times a day now. Make a chart, (or download an app) for tracking blood sugars, and test all over.
(like fasting and after supper one day, after lunch and before bed another day etc) so you are not so sore. Within a week, you can touch base on all your numbers a couple of times over.

Hugs to Trish: be a little starchy, its ok, and the kids will get over it and in the long run respect you more.
Hello to chipper and heres hoping that Bonnie is settling in ok.

Has been arctically cold here, but warming up today to just below freezing. Off to work. This week has been easy, no births, no all-nighters, but the planning is in place. Next week will be the office week, with regular hours. So far the new thing is working fine! always easier with so little work to do.
to everyone.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #23  

Just wondering.....

What is going on with the ads on this site??? Pizza hut? Candy? Really?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #24  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Mare: those spikes are telling you that those are carbs you may want to avoid, or only eat in small amounts. No matter what, grains really spike me. I can have the occasional half slice of sprouted grain bread with peanut butterm but otherwise, really cannot handle them. (the fat and protein in the pebu slows down the carb intake) You are paying too much, I pay $80 for 100 one touch strips with no insurance. I wonder if you order on line if its better, or switching meters. Lots of people use the relion from walmart. Its a lot cheaper. You might consider only testing a couple of times a day now. Make a chart, (or download an app) for tracking blood sugars, and test all over.
(like fasting and after supper one day, after lunch and before bed another day etc) so you are not so sore. Within a week, you can touch base on all your numbers a couple of times over.
Thanks for the advice. I'm new at this. I've been testing for less than 2 weeks now. I'm still trying to find the right time of day. Since I am going to a nutrition class today, they asked that we bring our meters and test before and after we eat what they fix in class. That's fine with me.

I only test 2 times per day. Once before a meal and then again 2 hrs after. I'm writing down my numbers and what I ate. I'm putting all my food in fit day.

We'll see what is happening as I progress and take 1 or 2 more classes.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #25  
I wanna be a loser, too

GM, all.

We'll see what today brings. I have a class today. They will be cooking for us. I'll be taking my meter with me. I'm hoping they will not want me to test more than once before and once after the food. I hate using more than 2 strips per day. At least I can use the lancet for a couple of days. I have discovered that I can't really go 3 days with it. It hurts too much after 4 uses.

We had lobster the other evening. There was such a lovely sale on live lobsters at the Asian market. I think I'll make a lobster omelet with the leftover. Good ole egg substitute works for me since I'll be spiking the cholesterol with the lobster. That is a lower carb option for me for brunch today.

How much are nuts, seeds and corn in your diets? I have diverticulosis and can't have those. I'm hoping that they won't use much if any of that today.

Ruth, I hope you enjoy your time with your friend.

Rie, I avoid looking at the ads. I find most of them annoying anyway. But you are right. You'd think they would screen them better. I found it odd that we are prohibited from discussing politics on here but there will be ads for certain propositions flashing by at time. If they are going to allow ads for pro or con on an issue, then let us discuss it. But, that's just me.

Trish, my heart goes out to you. You are in a hard spot. You said he has trouble walking from one room to another. Does he have a heart problem? After using Icy Hot Patches, I developed the same problem. I now have Atrial Fib, a permanent heart condition. I hope he doesn't have that.

Well, off to see what today brings.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #26  
I wanna be a loser, too

Well, so much for the omelet. By the time lunch got here, I was craving lobster all right but decided to make a lobster louie. I made my Thousand Island dressing, lettuce, green onion, hard boiled egg and 4 oz lobster.

I'll be going to my class at 3PM with under 25 carbs. If I deduct the fiber, I have 20 carbs. I hope that will be low enough for them. That leaves room for over 100 more. I've been averaging less than 100/day, so I hope I'm doing all right.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #27  

Took DH to see our Primary Doc today. I had looked up side effects of 2 of his meds and we showed him the print outs. One was his glimepride and the other was his sertraline hydrochloride. He has almost all the side effect symptoms on the setraline. The doc had left it up to DH in the beginning as to whether he stays on it. So he told Tony he could come off of it and also that the medicine we take to lower our cholesterol could cause those symptoms as well. So he told him to stop taking that as well. He also said that the pain medicine that he takes could be causing the stomach problems so he will begin taking him off that as well once we get through this part. He put him back on the coumadin and assured us that we had no other choice but to do the filter since the coumadin had not helped keep the clots down on its own.

Mare - This is scary, but you are in a good place to ask questions. Everyone was so patient with me and all my questions and Fatmad is our nurse with loads of info. So be sure to ask as you find your way around this disease. Get all the info you can and then as I read somewhere... take control of it yourself and be sure to work with your doctor/dietician. My doctor told me that any diet would work; it is just a matter of finding "the one" that works for you. I trust my doctor immensely and he is so good to explain to me what we are doing and why. It has been good to have Fatmad to help me know why we do somethings too. Like when I wanted to come off of Met and she helped me to understand that it is suppose to help keep the diabetes from getting worse. My DH has experienced atrial fib but it never shows up on a monitor. I read that this is probably caused by the sertraline. Actually he did have heart trouble for years, but it hasn't shown up on the tests lately. It wasn't supposed to ever get better, but obviously it has. When we found out about his heart problems, his daughter found an article by a cardiologist telling how he treated his patients who had heart attacks. We even went to see him in Miami. He said the vitamin regimen he used wouldn't help Tony but they wouldn't hurt him either and he refused to treat him. I put him on the regimen of vitamins etc instead of having the surgery myself. Crazy thing is a cardiologist told us when we moved here that he knew DH had the problem because he could see it in his records, but they haven't seen it in any of the tests that they ran. They know he has these other problems but find no answer for them so hopefully, the meds are the culprit and by removing the meds he will get over this as well.

Mare - I use relion strips from Wal-mart because I wanted to test more often without having to turn all my readings in to Medicare. For the first year, I got one box of strips with my Medicare insurance D, but I also bought extra on my own. I have a step-sister whose DH tested everything he ate when he first learned he was diabetic to see how his body reacted to certain foods. I wanted to do the same. That is when I learned that oatmeal caused my FBS to go way over 200 mg/dl, but I could eat steal cut oats. One day I decided to try half a serving of regular oats and I seem to handle it pretty good. My DH still uses his One Touch they gave him at the docs office and I have one as well, but the strips are just too high for me to be able to test whenever I feel I need to.

Ruthie, Rie, Bonnie and everyone else

And thanks everyone for putting up with my ranting lately. I really appreciate you gals... y'all are the BEST!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
HI everyone: have been sticking to plan in spite of temptations, I succeeded in tossing out the tempting things in the fridge. A first, we took DD out for an after class meal, to a place called Zoup, and she had her soup and bun and I had, A DIET COKE. Did not eat, since I had had lunch 2 hours before. I can always find an excuse to eat, but I was honestly not hungry so didn't eat. Went to yoga afterward, and home for a decent supper. Its silly how proud of myself I am.

Has been arctically cold here, but warming up today to just below freezing. Off to work. This week has been easy, no births, no all-nighters, but the planning is in place. Next week will be the office week, with regular hours. So far the new thing is working fine! always easier with so little work to do.
to everyone.
I don't think you are being silly being proud of yourself. You had a great accomplishment to build on. I feel the same way for doing so well during the holidays. I think we need those moments. Example, we got home from doctor's office and I was changing close. I got on the scales and saw a new low # and I shouted with excitement and shocked DH... and he asked "what was that are you okay?" Might seem silly to him or someone else, but they don't realize how hard we work to build those exciting moments.

So glad your new work schedule is working so well for you. I think that is going to help you get control of this part of your life as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #29  

Just a quick note:

I have a freestyle lite meter. When I got it I went online and "registered" it so I could get a cord to download test results on my computer. I had to register with Abbot.com. I agreed to be in their care club, at no cost or obligation. They sent me a card that I present with my insurance when I buy strips. I like to test ALOT and my prescription allows 150 strips per month. My insurance cost was $45/100 strips. With the abbot membership, it costs me $15 for 150 strips. I get them at Sams club.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #30  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Rie: thats a great way to save money. Trish, glad DH is getting attention from his doc and maybe you will find some help for his problems. Thanks for the support. I had a good night last evening resisting when my DH got out the corn chips and salsa. Stuck to plan instead. Kept my goals in mind, reminding myself that I won't have successful weight loss if I just keep eating the junk.
Also, went for the first cross-country ski of the year. FOr the longest time, this was the only exercise I really enjoyed. Now I do yoga regularly too.
Its supposed to get warm this weekend, so may be my only ski for a little while, will get the nordictrack out to start dry land training.
have a good Thursday ladies
Closed Thread