Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default January Chat

Good morning and welcome to 2011. I've never been much for NY Resolutions but certainly intend to be in better shape this time next year. I'll be 72 and have been darned lucky so far.

Managed to lose the 6 pounds I gained in December and am working on a few more for January. It's nice to know my house is purged of scary foods although there still is a lot of wine hanging around. I may throw away the corkscrew!

The last foodie event of the season happens today - the Mayor's NY Levee. I will stick to one drink - wine, not his sugary punch - and can definitely avoid the canapes. I'm "canaped out" and it's the same caterer as at the last two events! I'll eat lunch before I go, of course.

Monday, Donna and I are going back to the gym. I know the first few times will be really hard but also know how good I feel after. I don't know if it's endorphins or relief that it's over!

So what are you doing for yourself today? "If you don't have your body, where will you live?"
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #2  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning Ladies and Happy New Year to everyone.

New year - new me, as I say every year at this time. Hasn't worked yet, but maybe this year.

Signed up for WW online yesterday, and will try that for a while. Not sure how its going to work, I guess I'll just keep it more to the low carb side. It sure has helped with my low BG since the doctor took me off that one pill.
Maybe thats what you need Ruth for your lows.

Stayed in New Years Eve. We were supposed to go out but DH was having problems again with his kidneys so we stayed home. Hope the doctor calls him with his appt. time next week.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning & Happy 2011 to all.

Lingyloo I joined WW online too. There is a thread for us here on 3fc if you want to join us. Also one for WW at home. I'm on both. I too decided that I can do low carb using WW. I think the Points + will make it so much easier to do low carb and stay within good calories.

Ruthie Sounds like you have good plan for today. No NY Resolutions for me. They never work for me. However, I do have a plan. I did make my goal of keeping the weight off for last year. I lost 27 lbs last year. And my FBG was 117 this morning. So I ended 2010 and am starting 2011 very well. I too plan to start exercise Monday. DH bought me 2 execise dvds for seniors so will have new material to work with.

My company is leaving in a little bit and things will get back to normal. I will be back on low carb as much as possible today. I had a low calorie slice of toast with peanut butter on it this morning and I'm working on a cup of coffee. The rest of today will be more low carb type, but not Atkins. I'm not planning on going that low this year since WW Points Plus is working so well for me.

Y'all have a great NY Day.

TTFN
Old 01-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth: I am not one for New Years resolutions, but rather start things once I resolve to do them. However, I didn't stick very well to plan the last week or so, so will need to buckle down. The big deal is to get more active again. I was so pleased with how well I did skiing a couple of weeks ago, but have not done much since. Very little yoga, a little skiing. The holidays let me get off track.
SO, time to get back on track. If nothing else, New Years day usually signals the end of the holidays and allows us all to get back into routine.
so routine, bring it on!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #5  
Madeleine

Default obsessive?

so I made myself up a chart/checklist, for blood sugars, meds and vitamins, and water etc. I want to be strict with induction for a bit, and really get exercising. Today I went for a 30 minute walk, and have eaten on plan quite well, but didn't wake up until 11 am!. I guess I was making up for some of the insomnia I have been having. The hot flashes have been pretty bad lately too, but I haven't been having my soy milk because of the carbs. That affects the insomnia. I might have the soy milk be my bedtime carb snack.

Am hoping we can all be on track for a while. Now the parties are over, and it will be easier, since half of humanity has made resolutions to eat better and lose weight, so we can socialize without so much difficulty.
Ruth: how was the New Year's levee? Did eating before hand help you stay on plan?
Trish, just one more day of company then you will be yourself again!
hope to see some old friends and some newbies soon too!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Actually, I had no trouble staying on plan. I think my resistance muscle is getting stronger. I just smiled and said "No thanks" to the chickies passing the canapes. Of course it helped that there was absolutely nothing there that I'd not seen before.

Mad, strange but I made a chart yesterday too. Although weight is melting a bit and BGL has been good, there are some things I need to improve; dairy and fruit and water! Planned exercise starts at the gym tomorrow and I need to find my WATP tapes for off days. I'll be 72 this month and do not intend to be an old lady!

On we go!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #7  
Madeleine

Ruth, as far as I was concerned, my Dad wasn't old until about 75, and that happened with his illness. Up until then, he came to square dances with me, (my husband doesn't dance) chopped down tress, and walked 5 miles every morning on a paper route. (he said he was doing it to pay for a new car, but he kept on after the car was bought and paid for). So to me he aged overnight with his illness. Now that he is healthy, he looks younger than he did 2 years ago! No reason for you to be old at all. stay healthy and active and old age will stay outside of the door for a long time. You have the right attitude!
FBS was 5.9 today, and you are right, the water is the biggest thing, I felt much better yesterday being so well hydrated. I am also taking lots of fibre supplements with the water since atkins has had me a bit slowed down, and that worked well this morning, so I will continue with that. The fiber tabs before meals also contributes to a feeling of fullness, and that can't be bad for me either. I plan to head to town for yoga today, and will pick up groceries while there, then can walk the dog in the afternoon to really get the exercise going today. Its colder, so the trail wont be so mushy.
I am glad someone else is charting, makes me feel like less of a freak about it!LOL
Have a lovely day everyone!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

It's been a few years since I was a faithful member of 3fatchicks. I used to do South Beach and had lost 45 lbs about 5 years ago, only to gain it all back plus 30 lbs more. Now at my heaviest ever I need to get back on track. Diagnosed with type 2 1 1/2 years ago my weight has just gotten worse, although with medication my numbers have been good. Tomorrow starts my plan of eating healthy and hopefully getting in to some exercise. It is so nice to meet people and have a good support system. Looking forward to keeping up the chats daily. Here's to a brand new year and hopefully a brand new me!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #9  
Madeleine

Welcome Lindy, we are glad to hear from you. If you liked south beach, that may be a good plan for you, although any weight loss, any way is helpful. Tell us more about you. We are happy to be here for you.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. I stayed up too late last night and then didn't get enough sleep. Took my FBG and was 130 and realized that I forgot to take my Metformin last night. I've switched to taking it between 8 and 9 at night and find it is working better for me with the WW.

I am using the charts on WW etools as well. I like being able to track my food with pts, activitie pts, weight loss etc online and then I can print it out and keep it in a notebook for references. Plan to start exercise tomorrow. Hope to be able to do at least 5 days a week.

Docs appt tomorrow. Not sure how that will go. I was sick with this cold coming on when my blood work was drawn last week so we will see what happens. Still have a lingering cough. My eating has been OP and within pts. Hope his scales show it.

Till tomorrow. Y'all have a good one.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #11  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY NEW YEAR & NEW MONTH TOO, LADIES ~ hope you all had a nice time ushering in the new year too ...

LINDY ~ gee, we have a lot of Lindy's on this site (or is it that I just know so many); must be a popular name these days. The paper was saying that Olivia was the top girl's name in Canada in 2010 and Ethan was the top boy's name; I like them both and I know some Olivias and Ethans too ...

Anywho, I am trudging along this month; I hope to lose some more inches and lbs this year too. I still do my morning toning exercises, my hand-weights, the walking, and anything else I can add in to burn some more Cals. I have simplified my plan now and am getting into a groove ...

Hope the the WW plan helps all you ladies that are trying it this year -- worth a try at least, I'd say. Mine is a balanced plan as you already know: Lean Protein, Complex Carbs, High Fiber, with some Good Fats; and in measured portions.

I am focusing on my Miracle Breakfast (my own oatmeal/Kashi mix) for up to 5 days a week; on the weekends, I am treating myself to an egg one day and my favorite cinnamon raisin bagel one day only. I know that everyone can't do that, but it's working for me.

For lunch, I am having more soup with tuna, salmon, poultry, or very lean meat for a whole grain sandwich most days. The dinners you know already too -- lean meats like roasted chicken, turkey, roast beef, and fish with loads of roasted or steamed veggies and some salads too. Simple and easy to follow for me ...

Here's to another successful year ...
Old 01-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

BGL up a bit this morning to 7.7. I may have overdone it on the dried apricots at bedtime. Sure beats a low though!

I'm up and at it early because Donna and I are going back to the gym for 7:30. I'm trying to find my workout sheet to refresh my memory of my routine. My PT is off just for today but I'm sure she'll have advice when she gets back Wednesday. Today will be a reorientation day, I guess.

Food is planned including some absolutely fabulous turkey soup at noon. I plan to see another ticker drop this week.

Happy first week of 2011!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #13  
Madeleine

Didn't sleep the best last night. Somehow, having an alarm set prevents me from sleeping well. Going in this am for an A1C and fasting bs before my doc appointment on Wednesday. Have a med check, and talk about my heel, whether its tendonitis or a bone spur. Gotta have that checked, don't want anything slowing me down!
Did my yoga yesterday, and hope to go again today. The 60 minutes are good instead of 90, not so strenuous. Can't do the balancing poses with the heel in this shape, but still worked up a sweat. Gee, mornings are long when you are not eating! Gonna drive DD into school this am on the way to the lab in town.
gave her an extra 1/2 hour to sleep as she gets back to routine.
Was nice to hear from you Rosebud, hope the ticker moves for you, and Ruth, I am sure it will. Trish, keep on plan with ww, your tracker sounds like my little chart, so you make me feel less obsessive.
Hey haven't heard from butterbutt in ages, I realized. maybe shes lurking.
Lindy, how are you this fine day?
Well, off to town. ttfn
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #14  

Height: 5'2"

Almost good afternoon everyone. Starting today on a positive note. Promised myself to be good. I am thrilled to say that my willpower is strong as I am avoiding homemade rice pudding and raisin/date bread at work today. Not enjoying being back to work but enjoying having a job as I am being layed off due to outsourcing this summer. So it is back to work I must go. I will check in later. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #15  
Madeleine

Ack, the labs were closed today, its a lieu day for New Years, dang. I went for breakfast and did a blood sugar then, 6.7! Is this just from being up for a while beforehand? I stayed on low carb plan very well yesterday, (weight almost down to pre-holidays wahoo) so I don't think it was from what I ate. And I did take my metformin. I think it was Trish who also says that poor sleep leads to high bs for her. But I want a decent fasting tomorrow am, but of course, if I am needing different meds then I guess we need to know.
BUt really really surprised. Well, went to yoga too while in town, and eating on plan except a few homefried potatoes with my breakfast. I forgot to say no to them and then couldn't resist. So must stick to plan rest of today.
SO tonight, back ribs with sauerkraut.
Closed Thread