Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #301  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

purple--- i wish you the best of luck. it is not easy to go through school if you feel like you have no friends. unfortunately that is the way i went through school and was very quiet it was not until i was in high school that i really felt like i had any friends and surprisingly some of these friends i had gone to school with since first grade. remember that people will change. so with that said i would not worry to much just keep an eye on it and keep encouraging her to do her best. that will go along way. Good luck.

marimari--- i know the falling off the wagon feeling all to much. just tell yourself that it happens and do not let it stop you from acheiving your goals. look at it as practice for when you reach your goal. Good Luck.

alright thanks tera for the tag that really helped me keep up with the exercising it has been 3 days in a row and that is the first time in a long time. everything other wise is going fine my water intake is starting to drop it think that i am hitting a point where i have had enough water. so i am not forcing myself to drinking it. i am drinking some which is better then nothing at all. so........ i am going to tag:
nixmom
bjeweled

Last edited by mrsaugie; 02-24-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #302  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I just worked off a tag, and now I tag...mrsaugie and sprklmajik
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #303  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Stopping by to say I've worked off a tag, so I'm going to tag:

Dixiemae
jo7475

And I see that I've picked up a tag.

I was horribly shy and uncertain in elementary school, but my experience may not apply because a great deal of it was because I had a mean father. It does seem odd to hold a child back who is capable of the work. My certainty has increased so much that people even tell me they admire how confident I seem and that they bet I've always been like that. I just laugh inside and think, "If they only knew..." But better for your daughter if she can get help to deal with it when she's growing up instead of having to tackle it as an adult.

Honestly, about the artificial sweeteners, if you can get off of them I think it's probably healthier for you. I know people stand up for them, which is fine, but it really isn't all that terrible to drink just water once you get used to it. I've found that it helps the taste to drink filtered water.

I'm going to have to redo day one of week four of the C5K over, as I just couldn't complete the last five minutes of jogging. My legs felt like lead. Bummer. Doesn't help that I'm all emotional from TOM this week.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #304  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

I went to a body sculpting class and a step class tonight. It feels great to get back to my usual exercise schedule. I don't have any tags to give out but it is great to be reading about everybody moving. It is so good for us!

Melissa-I added eggplant with the peppers and mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce. It was great. Even the kids enjoyed it. Thanks for the challenge to eat something new.

Still eating too many calories these days. My husband is giving up alcohol and sweets for Lent. Maybe I can ride his coattails and get rid of those empty but costly calories.

Purple-I agree with you. I can't see how holding her back is going to change things. I am a nervous person and two of my kids get pretty nervous about school. So what! We just deal with it as best as we can.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #305  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

What Terapet.... no tags???? Here's one for you!!! Tag!

And... um... the second lucky winner is.... um... heather1979.

I see another has been graciously thrown my way by MrsAugie.. thank you!

Heading to update my signature (tag) count and then pick up the house before BL starts here on the West Coast. I usually let it record about 30 minutes into it so I can zoom through the commercials and end right on time!

Have a great night all!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #306  

S/C/G: H-238/S-213/C-198/G-150

wow.. i have been gone for a day or two and i miss everything!!!

Purple- I am sorry about what is going on at school. i taught middle school kids so i know that is way different than 1st grade. but, we only held kids back because of grades, if i am not mistaken. i had some desperately shy kids and unsure kids in class. some people are that way for life. i always got nervous and would sweat really bad in front of people and talk REALLY fast. yet, i still became a teacher. LOL. and i did fine (i got better in college). i used to be afraid to give wrong answers too. i always double checked my answers and doubted myself. i was known for always having right answers, that is unneeded pressure. i was older when i felt that way, middle school-ish. these days tho, it seems like kids have this pressure on them way to early. they have way more stress on them then i remember having... all the standardized testing etc. plus the NCLB stuff doesn't work so well. Anyway, i am still to this day unsure of myself. Mostly with my artwork. everyone tells me how great it is, but i doubt what they say and my ability. my mom always told me that i am my own worst critic. i think she is right and it isn't fun. Should i have been held back for that? NO. i would have been miserable and yes bored, i caught on to things quickly. you don't want her to end up doing "busy work" just to keep her occupied while the other kids are learning things she already knows. i would say from my POV, that simple things to help her feel better about making mistakes might help. like, if you make a mistake, point it out and say... mommy makes mistakes and that ok. and let her know it is ok for her too. even saying the wrong word, spilling something, etc. i always say.. accidents happen, even mommy drops food on the floor (when i do).

My husband and i went to our school for a meeting a few weeks ago about putting our daughter in pre-school. after talking with one of the teachers, she recommended that i enroll her in Pre-K because she already knew what they learn in preschool and that is more social. she said that we could start her in Pre-K and see how she does, if it doesn't work, put her in preschool. she said that she was concerned that she may feel insecure with older kids (i highly doubt it, since she looks, talks and acts like she is 4 or older)....i know this is different and my daughter is only 3, but i don't want her to be bored learning the uppercase alphabet since she has known it for at least 6 months and she knows most lowercase. she is learning to spell and read because she wants to. i do not force anything on her. i just want her to be in the best place for her. i am sure you want that for your daughter too.

O.. BTW... my mom IS shy, has been and still is now. Also, she NEVER stuck up for herself for anything. I am NOT shy now (i was only shy because of my weight). i have had to help her be more assertive. so, altho i do believe that you can learn from your parents. you could be opposites like me and my mom.

AND, i have 3 tags!!!!!! i have got my work cut out for me. i need it because i have been slacking. i just got the part for my elliptical today and my DH fixed it for me. even tho he only got to sleep for one hour today and he has been up since 4:30 yesterday. poor guy had court at 9am (it was canceled, but they forgot to tell the PD, so he was there with another officer for nothing), (home for 3 hrs, but couldn't sleep due to the coffee drinking to stay up for a jury trial) court at 3pm, (home for about 45 min) a special duty at 7, (tried to take a quick nap in the locker room i am sure) regular shift at 11 pm. i sure hope he can get off early tonight. it is so dangerous for him to be out there with no sleep. i am so tired of the way they treat the officers. they do not care at all if they get sleep or have any time with their family. he actually doesn't even have guaranteed days off because he ends up having court then too. GRRR!

anyway, i probably won't be on again for 2 more days because DH is off tomorrow night and the next (he will sure need it). Hope you all have a good few days ahead! i will be working off my tags!

Last edited by alexs hot momma; 02-24-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #307  
Isla's mommy

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if I'm coming down with something but I am beyond tired right now, even though I had a nap after work. No work out for me. My knees have been hurting so I'm going to rest tonight & just get in bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Night!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #308  

thank you so much to everyone who has reached out and shared their personal stories. I have done a ton of research and found that diet has a lot to do with anxiety and the recommendations for relieving it (as well as my depression) are pretty much the diabetic diet my hubby follows! So, I threw out a ton of stuff from the kitchen and will be stocking the house tomorrow with whole grains, fresh produce, and healthier meat options. If I did not have motivation to eat cleaner before I do now. I just realize that this food is doing none of us any good.

I have also talked with my daughter about her anxiety and she was able to express to me what she feels and where her mind goes when it wanders during class. She balled her fists up by her chest and kind of shook and said "it's like that." Then she told me that when her mind goes "somewhere else" she is thinking about her chapter books and about what the characters might do next. I told her she needs to push those thoughts out and keep working until it's done, then we brainstormed ideas of when it is appropriate to have those thoughts about her books. She decided she will think about books in the car line at the end of school, when she goes potty, and while on recess.

I feel better now. I also talked with her about so many other things. I sensed an excitement from her to be talking about the anxiety stuff, like it was a release...or maybe just not feeling like she's dealing with it alone or something? I don't know, I'm tired, but I really felt we connected and she told me about a lot of things and we talked about ways she can handle it.

I am sending a sealed note to her teacher letting her know I have made some changes at home and want a conference scheduled for 2-3 weeks out to discuss improvements and let her know that i want to be kept informed the rest of the year on this since so much is at stake.

So now I have NO EXCUSE to put sugar, caffeine, or any of that crap that can hurt my little girl into this house. I am going to be making sure she gets exercise every single day, that homework time is more relaxed, and will be packing her lunch every day so I can control what she is eating...I think her blood sugar may be crashing because they eat lunch at 10:30AM then go all day without eating, so she needs a lot of nutrients and no sugar at lunch. I'm also starting to send a water bottle with her because she said they aren't allowed to get a drink very often (shocked me!).

I wish someone had done this for me when I was little. It might have changed things for me, but I am glad to be doing it for her!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #309  

Terapet--I just did another half hour on the bike so...TAG! You are it TWICE...so now you will have more tags to give out get moving, girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNessa79 View Post
I don't know if I'm coming down with something but I am beyond tired right now, even though I had a nap after work.
Hope you feel better tomorrow...sounds like you do need a good night of rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs hot momma View Post
My husband and i went to our school for a meeting a few weeks ago about putting our daughter in pre-school. after talking with one of the teachers, she recommended that i enroll her in Pre-K because
I always thought pr-K and preschool were the same thing shows what I know! I think you should start her off wherever you feel she will be most comfortable and learn the most...you can always change it if it doesn't work for her. My son is in a preschool and is bored absolutely to death! He can't wait to start kindergarten next year! He has a late birthday so is already 5, and I like that because while he is extremely smart he is not as mature this year as my daughter was when she started K. He is ready now though for next year, and is so excited. Your daughter will love learning and meeting new friends.

Okay everyone...I am so tired!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #310  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

girls!

Purple ~ I know it's all said and done but I just wanted to let you know that I'm like your daughter. I've always been a very anxious person, always afraid of crowds and screwing up. But no teacher ever suggested that I be held back for that! I always got excellent grades in school. I was picked on alot, I was miserable at home, and I liked to daydream about my books but it didn't affect my schooling....at least till I got into high school (but that's a WHOLE different subject!). You're daughter is very lucky to have you! I'm sure she'll be okay. BTW, I have no idea where I got my anxiety from. My mama is a very self assured person.

Totally out of left field but I'm loving the new Olay Body Ribbons bodywash! I've been using it for the past three days and today I was getting dressed when I noticed that my boobs were all glittery when the sun hit them! Glitter boobs! That made my day.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #311  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Just had to stop in and say PURPLE I am so proud of you. And what a fantastic feeling for your daughter, to know its okay, to know there are ways to work on it, and to know that you gave her a voice in it. Seriously I have tears in my eyes. You are a pretty incredible mom. Sounds like you and DD will both gain that "powerful me" feeling together and I would venture to guess that at your teacher meeting in 2 to 3 weeks, there will be some victories.

My DSD has downs. She's 9, independent, funny, manipulative, picky, loving... and she is just really learning to speak. She has been a testament to what your kids can tell you, teach you, if you take a minute to listen to them without preconceived "speeches" about what HAS to happen. Lots of times you will see what needs to happen, or in a twinkle reflected in their eyes realize that things are working just like they were intended (regardless of what we expected to happen). I hope that makes sense... anyway, I gotta get to bed. I hope you sleep well tonight..... You should!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #312  

S/C/G: 195/188/145

Height: 5'3''

Vanessa- I hope your not getting sick! It sucks! Hopefully you just need sleep.

Purple- You sound like such a good mother. I hope your talk with your dd helps things and maybe you have learned things that will also help her.

Alexhotmomma- Dang! Your poor husband. They are working the heck out of him.

Shari- Glitter boobs! hahaha
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #313  

[QUOTE=JasonsLea;2628101]I want to work off 6 tags today or I am not going to finish by the end of the week! So get ready to shake your booties ladies...I want to get in my 10 by Friday [/B]
Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #314  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Hey everyone!

I was trying to figure out how to find a new fruit or vegetable (without really having time to go grocery shopping again), and I did try one thing that's sort of new to me... I had bought some of those Del Monte Fruit Naturals cups (on sale) and one of them has pineapple, oranges, and guava. I've had guava in juices before, but never chunks of it... it was good, I'd like to try it by itself some time.

Today I've got a farewell lunch for a postdoc in my lab who's moving to Austria... it's at a fancy restaurant in a hotel on campus, which always has great food. I'm definitely going to need to go to the gym tonight after eating there! I'll be sure to look for any new vegetables to try, too.

Yesterday I was at school for 13 hours which makes it hard to find time to exercise... but at the end of the day, I realized it was a half hour until the soonest bus would arrive, so I went for a walk (in the 12 degree F weather, brrr). I'm proud that I managed to fit some sort of activity in, but I'm not going to count walking for a tag.

Speaking of tags, throw them this way. I'll be working off 2 tonight so I could use some more!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #315  

S/C/G: 174/see ticker/140

Mayness and Terapet--you're it!!!!
Closed Thread