Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #316  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

dollypie - Yes....right now is the WORST time to go to the gym...LOL! But it will get better....I try to work out at home and outside as much as possible because I hate crowds and I LOVE LOVE LOVE walking outside and seeing a change in scenery!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #317  
Goodbye Fat!

Melissa - I would love to exercise outside but I am just chicken to be outside when it is dark even with my dogs. On the weekends I always go for long walks but on the weekdays I just need more daylight...summer needs to get here fast!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 195/188/145

Height: 5'3''

Goodmorning!

Dolly- I hear ya. Im a big chicken too. Im also scared to walk in the dark. Too much craziness in th world today. Plus, I always thing of the animals that are gonna get me, haha.

Melissa- Yeah Yeah, lol. Try was a bad word. But atleast I did a little something. Oh! and I ate a PB sandwich and drank some water afterwards. Probably too heavy of a snack before bed but its alot better compared what I normally eat at night. I wanted some chips too but I ignored it!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #319  

dollypie - I know what you mean.....do you have time to go in the morning....or after dinner? We have a walking track (Actually a couple of them) here where I live and they are very well lit.....but I hear ya on the days being too short. I'm ready for spring and summer...but they will be here before you know it. I'm trying to do all that I can to make sure I'm ready for spring and summer. I want to wear smaller clothes. I want to feel like getting out and doing things because I'm not self conscience.

Well....I just finished day 2 of week 1 of my push ups....and I finished day 1 week one of the crunches. My abs are cramping up some, and my arms feel like jello! WOW! I looked ahead and these challenges are gonna get alot tougher as the weeks go on....but remember it is only a few minutes a day....3 days a week....and it is ONLY 6 weeks!

Sooooo there are only 3 days left in week 1! If you haven't gotten started on your push up and/or crunches challenges it isn't too late to do it and not get behind. Don't put it off....it really only takes minutes....I did both today in less than 20 minutes.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #320  

Heather - The peanut butter is supposed to be really good for you after you work out....it has lots of protein to help your muscles repair quicker! The jelly isn't too bad....especially if it is like an all natural kind or low in sugar....I wonder what is a good kind of jelly to get.....

I'm ready to start the next mini-challenge......it is gonna be a food challenge....Oh well...just a few more days! TOM is here finally....I missed TOM last month for some reason....got a little scare there...whew! YAY....I'm burning extra calories this week....ha ha ha!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #321  
Goodbye Fat!

I am out the door by 640am for work and don't get down time in the evening until 7pm. I have thought about walking during my lunch hour b/c we do have showers at my job, but the thought of rushing to get dressed and back to work within an hour does not sound good to me.

A mini food challenge sounds great to me! I am trying wean Diet Coke addition this month to a once a week treat. I am down to one can a day so far. I tried cold turkey but the headaches were killing me and my DH didn't like my crankiness.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #322  

S/C/G: 195/188/145

Height: 5'3''

Melissa- Do you think using a exercise ball for your crunches is doable? I did them on the floor last night and my back is killing. I always seem to have that problem.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #323  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Hello chicks! I think I last post I wrote on was on page 17! Hooray for being a chatty bunch.

I need some support. May I just vent? I went way off plan yesterday because I was having some stress issues with getting my gymnasts in the shape they need to be in for their first meet. The girls don't seem to think oh I have a meet so it's like pulling teeth to get them to remember their routines. It's such a different generation with kids these days. (I know I'm still a kid. :P ) I would have never talked back to my coaches or my teachers and it blows my mind that these girls, while I love working with them, can be so disrespectful sometimes. Really girls lets delete the word NO from your vocabulary! So back to why I believe I let myself down and my willpower was dropped and I take this all onto myself truly I do. YEAH. I went to a meet with the older girls to watch and support them and I realized how far my girls are behind. Most of the girls on Team 1 & 2 are MOSTLY hard workers and the girls I have just don't seem to be into gymnastics like at all. BLAH So I saw just how much work I have ahead of me. I am just all sorts of emotions rolled up into one because they wouldn't be behind if the coach before me wasn't a softy and was like oh it's ok if you don't do the skill you have and then they lose it. So this week it's going to be a little bit of boot camp.. I thought about it last night after putting down the last piece of pizza without eating it and made a plan. For the next two weeks we are doing a little "Back To Basics Boot Camp" Makes me feel better that I am not stress eating. BLAH...
/VENT

So I am going to do my 30DS and my push up challenge and then do some lesson plans for my girls. Now I know it sounded super negative, but I do have high hopes just need to get them to understand what they need to do. I do love my job as well. It's the best job I have had and I don't consider it work, just y'know a little stressful at times. Thanks for listening er um reading.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather1979 View Post
Melissa- Do you think using a exercise ball for your crunches is doable? I did them on the floor last night and my back is killing. I always seem to have that problem.
Are you sure your form is right? A good tip from Jillian's DVDs is to pick a spot straight up on the ceiling and stare at it the entire time. Keeping your eyes on that spot all through every crunch will stop you from pulling up with your neck or the top of your back, so you pull only with the belly as you should. Your arms should not be pointing forward either, elbows out so you are not pulling up with them either. Staring at the ceiling releases the tension for me, though.

I think it is just as effective to do them leaning on a ball though, more support for ya.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #325  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackie View Post
I went way off plan yesterday because I was having some stress issues with getting my gymnasts in the shape they need to be in for their first meet. The girls don't seem to think oh I have a meet so it's like pulling teeth to get them to remember their routines. It's such a different generation with kids these days. (I know I'm still a kid. :P ) I.
My daughter does gymnastics so I know what you mean! A lot of the girls I see are just there because their parents want them to be, not that they really want to do it themselves. I think that is so sad Anyway, I also stress eat so understand completely. BUT you have a plan now so back on track. Don't let one night's slip up ruin you for months...right back to healthy habits...right? Show yourself the discipline you need your girls to have. Think of it as leading by example...you want them to do what they need to do, now you go do what YOU need to do!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
My daughter does gymnastics so I know what you mean! A lot of the girls I see are just there because their parents want them to be, not that they really want to do it themselves. I think that is so sad Anyway, I also stress eat so understand completely. BUT you have a plan now so back on track. Don't let one night's slip up ruin you for months...right back to healthy habits...right? Show yourself the discipline you need your girls to have. Think of it as leading by example...you want them to do what they need to do, now you go do what YOU need to do!
Yes and it's higher enrollment this year for the rec classes because of the olympics and everything. I teach rec and Comp girls so the rec have more discipline It's so sad when the girls are like I don't want to do it mom and the mom is like no go to practice and DO IT.

Thank you so much for what you wrote in red. That is such a help!! Like I read that and was like YEAH LACKIE YOU NEED TO DO THAT! Thanks Purple that is a big help.

EDIT: Totally put it in my signature because it really is motivation and hit home.

Last edited by Lackie; 01-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #327  

S/C/G: 174/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollypie View Post
I did 30min in the ellipitcal. Everyone have a great monday!
I hit the elliptical here at home myself. I used to go to the gym, but it was so much time out of the day. I found an elliptical on Craig's list for $150--Nordic Track mind you. It had right around 4 hrs use on it when I got it home. I set up my portable dvd player on the book rack and off I go. Although I'd never make it without the dvd.

Good job on braving the crowds at the gym!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixmom View Post
Okay ladies, I did D2L1 of pushups last night after treadmill and I just did my second day of 30DS. I cant believe how much that makes me sweat. My legs are killing me, didn't sleep too well again last night, even after a 1/2 glass of wine to relax me. But I ain't givin' up or givin in.

Gotta go get ready for work. I'll check back in later. New Year, DEFINITELY New Me!
Do you think you're doing the workout too late at night, and that the exercise might be keeping you up? How about some ibuprofen or the like to help with the muscle soreness until your body is used to it?

I ordered 30DS myself and am expecting it by Wednesday. I did W1D2 of both the push-ups and crunches today along with the 45 min on the elliptical. I'm off to get a protein snack before my 30 min is up. Thanks for whoever mentioned that in the last 4 pages. I didn't know how to multi-quote then

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #328  

S/C/G: 198/155/150

Height: 5ft6"

Lackie~Purple~~I love the writting in red!! Good advice for me too!! "YOU CAN TELL ME YOU CHOOSE TO QUIT. THAT YOU CHOOSE TO BE LESS THAN WHAT GOD INTENDED, BUT DON'T EVER TELL ME YOU CAN'T DO IT." jm amen
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackie View Post
Yes and it's higher enrollment this year for the rec classes because of the olympics and everything. I teach rec and Comp girls so the rec have more discipline It's so sad when the girls are like I don't want to do it mom and the mom is like no go to practice and DO IT.
I wondered if enrollement went up after the olympics! My daughter switched from the big gym where she did all the apparatus to a small gym where she is just tumbling and experimenting some with cheerleading, but while watching the Olympics she started saying she wanted to go back to the big gym again. She was on a cheer squad and couldn't at that time, and now I am waiting to see if she says it again or not. I do not bring it up, it's on her to say she wants to do it, but when we were at the "big gym" as she calls it, there were two little girls literally being forced into the class each time, it was heartbreaking to watch.

We're talking 5 year olds crying and screaming they don't want to go and parents just putting them down and LEAVING! The teacher knew them and would calm them down, but it took away from time in the class and I wanted to smack those mothers and say "what are you doing? this isn't a babysitting class!"

Okay, enough venting! Off topic anyway Sorry everyone!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #330  

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather1979 View Post
I think that would be perfect...actually you may get more range of motion movement using a ball and therefore work more muscles than just the rectus abdominals....you may work some external and internal and transverse trying to keep your balance on the ball...good idea! See this is my point exactly......THIS is why we are doing a SCALE FREE challenge! We are focusing on form, good habits, breaking bad habits, and finding ways around our problems! DON'T give up and don't QUIT! Instead find a way around your problem...find a better way and if you can't then come here for help! That is what we are here for! To support each other....Thanks Heather!

LOL...there is ya some more red...ha ha ha!

Lackie - If I were you I would have a big meeting with the parents and the girls all present. I would tell them that THEY came to you.....and while your BEST interests are with the SAFETY of the girls that the word "NO" and "CAN'T" are to be checked at the door along with DISRESPECT!

Maybe pick out your team that does the BEST and have them do a routine for the parents and the other kids and say something like...."Now...that is hard work and if your not willing to work HARD then your in the WRONG place!"

Tell them you don't have time to be a babysitter.....I would send a strict discipline policy home....if a girl is disrespectful she gets a verbal warning...if she continues then she sits out for the rest of the time....and speak with her parents when they come to pick her up.....tell them what is going on and that you are having to sit her away from the other girls to keep the bad attitude from spreading.....if that doesn't work tell the parents that their child will be terminated from your program if she can't behave well....

Alot of times REJECTION will catch someones attention....if they think that their child is going to lose their spot or get behind in the routine cause they are having to sit out they will step in and tell their child to shape up....or you will ship them out!

Hope this helps......
Closed Thread