Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #121  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Carryonlosing- thanks! I'm glad youre feeling better!

Jalsa- I agree that having a Plan makes a huge difference when going out to eat.

Ingles- glad to hear you're still doing well!

Mer du Japon- glad you've found us! Today is as good a day as any to get back on track!

I'm feeling good! But SORE ran my half yesterday and had some pizza that night, normally pizza= binge, but I stopped when I was satisfied and am feeling great!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 239/173/155

Height: 6'

Danzing - that's great! That is always a struggle for me. I think if I eat slowly it helps too. I had a friend from Germany visit, and he suggested we make pasta for dinner - a huge trigger food for me if I were alone, or a reason to binge later on because I think oh pasta=carbs=weight gain=might as well go overboard. I had a small portion of pasta, and lots of the homemade veggie sauce we made. It was great to stop at that amount.

I agree that eating out requires a game plan, or eating in general for me, otherwise there always seems to be the opportunity for screwing up. I'm feeling good. It's been 27 days now since a binge (where I purposely go out and buy or prepare the food I'm going to gorge myself on). Even if I have overindulged a little bit, I find myself talking myself out of binge mode, and getting back on my eating plan right away or the next day. In the past, if I binged one day, I almost ALWAYS binged the next day, and the next day because I just do miserable and felt that I couldn't survive without the sugar/carb rush. Learning and changing is coming in baby steps. I feel the destructive behaviour hopefully going further and further away. I can hope anyways. We've got this! Not too much time left in July, and then we will all be ready to conquer August!

Last edited by raspberry13; 07-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.
raspberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #123  

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglesita64 View Post
How did you do over the weekend? I went out for a veggie sandwich and ate ice cream, but did not go over my calories. How about the rest?
I exceeded my caloric intake Sunday by a bit and I grazed A LOT yesterday (which I realized was because I was trying to do a low carb dinner and that just activated my cravings - lesson learned; low carb may result in a binge) but o/ wise doing good. Didn't binge.
CarryOnLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #124  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Great job, chicks! One more week to go and July is ours!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #125  
Jessica

We're getting there! I was going to wish everyone a happy holiday but it's only a holiday here in Utah today, which means we're the only state who had to face holiday food, but I didn't really run in to any major problems anyways ;-)

I was wondering- how much does your family or significant other know about your binges? My DH knows I sometimes have "freak-outs" as he calls them, but he has no idea how bad they really are. I don't think he's ever had a very good understanding of eating disorders, but I wonder if admitting to him the full extent of the problem would help him be able to help me?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 268/260/194

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi everyone! Joining in for the rest of July. I did these threads for a while about 1.5 years ago and I ended up with roughly a year of much less binging even after I left, but the binging has been bad again lately and I'm sick of it. Off to sleep now and day 1 starts in the morning
zizania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 239/173/155

Height: 6'

zizania - Welcome back. This thread has been super helpful for me, and I wish you the same.

Danzing - It's taken me a while to be able to talk to people about my bingeing problem/problems with food in general. I find myself embarrassed and ashamed about my behaviour so I end up saying nothing and keeping it inside.

Next week I have an eating disorder assessment at my University's eating disorder clinic. I'm tired of letting food rule my life and constantly thinking about it. I'm really worried/nervous about the appointment and am not really sure what to expect. I fluctuate a lot in my thoughts about whether or not I really need to go, but there are days when I know I really need to.

Thanks again for all the support everyone.
raspberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #128  

Height: 5ft3

Raspberry I had my ED diagnosed and am very glad that I did, because it has helped me to understand that I need to approach my eating and weight loss strategies a little differently to others who do not have an ED - it has taken time , it's over a year since I was diagnosed and it is only now that I am getting to grips with a weight loss strategy that works for me and more importantly, what doesn't .

You will probably be given quite a few questionnaires to complete and they will talk to you - it really is nothing to be nervous of- good luck and let us know how you get along

It's great to see that everyone here is doing so well -great stuff!
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #129  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzingurl77 View Post
Natasha and krampus- I TOTALLY agree! And am forever thankful that every binge I've ever had is not directly turned into extra fat, but I DO seem to use it as an excuse sometimes. So I guess I just can't win ;-)

Oh seriously! To Natasha; I think there are a lot of theories and even more variables, but I definitely agree.

I am really hoping/counting on that now that I am back from my vacation!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #130  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzingurl77 View Post
I was wondering- how much does your family or significant other know about your binges? My DH knows I sometimes have "freak-outs" as he calls them, but he has no idea how bad they really are. I don't think he's ever had a very good understanding of eating disorders, but I wonder if admitting to him the full extent of the problem would help him be able to help me?

I tried to explain it to my husband one time, but he didn't really understand. I think he thought I was saying I had bulimia or something and when I said "no, I just eat a lot sometimes..." he sort of dismissed it. He has seen me eat a ton and has told other people that I "Lose my ******* mind" but he thinks it's impressive the amount I can eat. So, yeah... he doesn't really understand what I mean.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #131  

Height: 5'1

Looking back and thinking about it, I would eat a lot of junk food and in a short amount of time. Sometimes I wouldn't even want it but because it was there, I just ate it because it was yummy! Now, I'm thinking the amount of times and days I would have days like that don't add up to what weight I could have been. The heaviest I have ever been would be around 152 - 154lbs and that was up until Feb this year when I was weighed at 142lbs. Just makes me think, I was kind of lucky that the amount of bingeing I would have done didn't create a big weight gain like it could have.

As for how much people know about my binges, they never knew. I guess it was embarrassing for me to admit how much junk food I would have eaten on some days. Days like when I'm on TOM or TOM is due, I wouldn't hide it though and just blame that on why I'd be comfort eating.

Almost over now Not long left! Well done to everyone so far.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #132  
Jessica

Raspberry- good luck! Please let us know how it goes! You are much braver than I am...

Jalsa- it's nice to hear about your successes! Keep moving in that healthy direction!

Jossfit- that's how I feel when I try to talk to him, he doesn't see why overeating every so often is a big deal, but he doesn't see HOW much I really do eat, or the emotions that go along with it... So I don't think if I really sat him down he could ever truly understand. He eats when he's hungry and stops when he's full... Why can't I do that too? :P

Dreamer- I get embarrassed too. And I feel the same way- in glad I grew up in an EXTREMELY active household... Or I couldve been in major trouble.

Today I was HUNGRY... But stopped at my maininance calories so I'm happy. Honestly I should just eat at maintenance every day, but Ive got to make up for those binges somewhere... Sigh... I hope everyone can finish July on a high note!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #133  
15poundsGOAWAY

S/C/G: 152/131/125-130

Height: 5' 7"

In need of some serious help! I have my husband's family camping trip this Friday and Saturday and I don't know what to do... This family eats, and they eat BIG! I wanted to bring my own low calorie food, but his family is the type of family (russians) who will be extremely offended if I brought my own food and don't eat theirs when they offer it. (russian women!) Do I focus on portion control? Do I fake sick and say NO THANK YOU and run to my tent and eat food I brought? I know this will turn into a binge and I honestly just got off of a 3 day straight binge that I gained several actual pounds of fat from. :/ I don't know what to do.
natashawashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #134  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Natasha, I would seize the chance to practice portion control. Take it as a mini-course! You couls say something like "I love this food and you are a great cook, so I do want to try everything! But I cannot overdo it because I am trying to lose some pounds." They won't be offended then if you turn down some dishes, as long as you try some others. I would not take my own food, unless you make something to share with the family, as your own contribution to the party. Good luck!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #135  
Jessica

Natasha- oh I can SO relate!! My in laws take us to lake Powell every year and they EAT. Usually I offer to make as many meals as they'll let me, and after that it's a big test of portion control for me... We go for 10 days and I've never made it the whole time without overeating at least once... But I usually come back without a loss or gain, so I'll take it. But portion control is probably your best bet!! Good good luck!