The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #76  

Oh, and the bananna...

BabySteps
Old 12-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #77  

Hi! I'm new to the site and just joined today. However, I have been reading some of the threads for awhile. I heard about Jillian's thread from the biggest loser message boards on nbc.com.

This seems like a very positive thread, which is just what I need. Here is my story...

I gained 60 pounds when I got pregnant with my daughter in 1997. Never lost any of the weight. Once I had my son in 2002 I instantly lost the weight I gained with him, but am still packing around the pounds from my first.

I've tried tae-bo, slim-fast, weight watchers, atkins, discovery challenge, ediets, south beach, you name it, I've tried it. I am terrible at staying motivated. If I don't lose a ton of weight right from the beginning I want to give up.

My husband and I started eating healthier about a year ago. He began walking on the treadmill and has lost 40 pounds. I've stayed the same and feel like crap. He doesn't need motivation but I do!! Hopefully I'll find some here. I hope you all don't mind if I join your thread.

How do we get the little counters to appear at the bottom of our message?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #78  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

How about the barfing one? Just messing with ya I have a strange sense of humor...if you think I use a lot of dancing smilies- wait 'till Oz posts...

Welcome Dawn - I pm'ed you a link to the tracker instructions

I hope Jillian can whip you into shape - she has been quite helpful to me. It's great that you are eating healthier, what do you think is the biggest obstacle to your exercise routine? Is it just the getting started? If so, maybe just start with something simple like walking a 1/2 an hour a day. For me the hardest part is getting going, once I'm moving I'm happy. Now it's habit and I feel funny when I take a day off. I was never into exercise before - I surprised myself! Sorry BabySteps I can't stand it - I need to use a dancing banana..

Last edited by chick_in_the_hat; 12-04-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #79  
Empress/Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlady
How do we get the little counters to appear at the bottom of our message?
Click "User CP" and open "Edit Signature" ... it'll walk you right through the process of creating the "ticker."
Old 12-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #80  

Thanks for the help on the weight tracker. It was really easy once I found out how to do it.

The hardest part for me in this weight loss thing is the exercise. I find it hard to find time, but I also am not motivated to stay going. I don't know why, but I can't get myself to going. I like it once I am doing it, but I am always so tired that I don't want to start.

I thought if I had someone to answer to then I would be more likely to actually start exercising. I don't want to get embarassed by not losing any weigtht.

I also can't seem to make the two work right together. I eat healthy and work out some, but don't lose a single pound!! I just don't know what to do. I can't keep it going long enough to see some results. I need help!!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #81  

By the way, Amarantha, 109 pounds?? That is so awesome, how did you do it? I am completely in awe. Way to go
Old 12-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #82  

Default The Visitor

Okay, ladies. I have a question about the monthly visitor. I tend to get really bloated, but how does that affect my weight? My "official" weigh in is on Tuesday, but I am scared I am going to see a HUGE gain. What can you all tell me?

Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 PM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlady
I also can't seem to make the two work right together. I eat healthy and work out some, but don't lose a single pound!! I just don't know what to do. I can't keep it going long enough to see some results. I need help!!
I hear you there - I have the same problem. All I can say is keep your eye on the prize...you know you deserve to be healthy and happy. You just need to find a way to make permanent habits to get yourself there. Maybe your DH could also help to keep you accountable? (In addition to us, of course ) Maybe a nightly account of calories consumed and exercise accomplished? He might appreciate the same support from you. A team effort! Even if he doesn't have more weight to lose, he has to work to maintain his loss.

Melrod...sorry, I've got nothing for ya. Haven't had a visit in a while.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #84  

I see that you can dissable your own smilie, can I somehow stop the bananna and carrot from showing up when I am reading a post?

babySteps
Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #85  

Default learn to love the dancing veggies!

Come on, who can't love a dancing carrot or banana? I love the psychotic smiles on their faces, too. But like Chick, I'm just weird like that. Must be something in the Saramento water.

And to teacherlady,

We aren't all that far apart in goals. I always have a tough time getting myself to exercise. I think sometimes, if I was as good at talking myself INTO exercising as I am talking myself OUT of it, I would be in great shape by now!

The main thing for me was to also shake that "i want to drop a ton of pounds in the first week" mentality. After reading Jillian's book, I was more inspired to go for just the 1 lb a week thing, even though currently I am averaging a little less. Not her fault, but my lack of consistent exercise.

My main motivation right now is to see my !@#$!@# counter go down one more notch! I have a mini-goal weight of 5 lbs before Christmas and so far I've done the 3. Losing weight during the holidays is pretty challenging, but I'm determined.

As for my post about the aroused workout guy, I can't remember if it was the Front workout or the Back workout from Jillian. It's not completely distracting but it does give me a chuckle. (I guess for HIM it was a front workout - hardy har har!)
Old 12-05-2005, 04:32 AM   #86  

Smile New board rule.

Hey Mel,

don't be scared. If you've done everything right this week and for some reason you gain then do everything right again next week and you should be back on track. You know there was this show I use to watch that had a guy on it named ummm I think it was Matt, on this show they use to get weighed every week, one week he got on the scale and lost nothing only to get on the next week and lose double figures.

Teacherlady,

Do you post on the BL board? If so who are you?
Anyway here's a little story I have for you.
The first time I went to the States (I was 15 and going to highschool for exchange) I met a girl named Dawn. I'd say hi Doorn and she'd say no it's Darn and I'd say oh sorry Doorn and she'd say no it's Darn, this was repeated about half a dozen times and I honestly couldn't hear the difference in what I was saying to what she was saying. About 6 months later I eventually was able to hear the difference. So now I know if I meet an American Dawn I have to pronounce her name as Darn.
Interesting story, I hope it helps you with your weight loss.

BabySteps,

You poor bugger. You sound like you need to try and see a nutritionist with all those issues you have to deal with. I am seperating you from the other posts so that you are far away from psycho cartoon charaters.

Alright girls it is fabulous to see a number of new people on our little thread. I think as a team we should welcome baby steps by abstaining from dancing vegatables for one page. I think we can do it.

I here by proclaim Page 7 to be the dancing vege free page.
All for one and one for all!!!!!

There you go Babysteps you have one page to learn to accept dancing vegies because then they'll be back.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #87  

I forgot about the dancing ghost....but I did warn you about Oz...
Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #88  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

hehe....now you're just messing with her!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #89  

Question ? for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
I forgot about the dancing ghost....but I did warn you about Oz...
Hey chick noticed your fitday link below your signature---I have a fitday journal as well and would like to add mine to my signature----how do I do that?

Anyone who knows the answer feel free to share thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #90  

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to post every few days for motivation. I'm going to do an exercise video tonight. I'm a little excited. I know if I just do it and stop complaining then it will get a little easier each week. Everyone has already lost so much I feel like I'll never get there.

Bukigirl, I love the pic that posts with your messages.

OzLoserToBe, the only other threads I post on are teachers trying to lose weight on this web site, and How has biggest loser inspired you on the nbc web site. My name on their is Dee06.