The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-20-2005, 09:03 PM   #1  

Wink Another Thread

Well have a look at this, I've found "another thread"

Hey EZMONEY I'm not mad, not at all. I agree with Looking that it would be easier for Jillian to answer the legitimate questions without all the other mumbo jumbo in it. I knew it already but just kept posting anyway. How selfish of me.

So now this empty thread can be where I can write whatever junk I'd like. If anyone would like to write some junk back to me that'd be great cause otherwise I may get lonely.

Don't you just love those little pictures. There always seem to be new ones. Going through them is sometimes the most fun I have all day.

Have a look at that, it's a dance party.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 PM   #2  

Default Bah!

I was sorta hoping Jillian would enjoy a bit of general chatter about her & the book as well as just being forced to answer questions. I thought that last post that made you 'leave' that thread was rather mean. But what do I know?

Anyway, have you ever posted how much weight you want to lose? You don't have to share if you don't want to, I'm just curious & wondering what they were looking for, for the australian B.L. thing.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 PM   #3  

Heh Oz, I just popped in to say "hi". The posting police doesn't come by this thread too, does it? LOL.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #4  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartButt
I was sorta hoping Jillian would enjoy a bit of general chatter about her & the book as well as just being forced to answer questions. I thought that last post that made you 'leave' that thread was rather mean.
I agree that the thread should be a little more casual, especially since Jillian doesn't have to answer any of the questions, and other members may have good suggestions or experiences to share. It's really nice of Jillian to visit our forum and we don't want to put her on the spot. The last thing we want is for her to feel obligated to participate in a thread that she didn't sign up for. If she happens to be online, and happens to have some spare time to check up on any threads regarding her book, then that would be great! But I don't think we should put her on the spot, especially since she is such a busy person. Maybe the next thread can be called "Questions about Winning by Losing" and make it more of a community effort
Old 11-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #5  

Thumbs up Ooo people to talk to. Yay!

How annoying are those dancing fruits and vegies getting?!? I may be forced to edit the first post and delete them. I'll give them one more day and see.

SmartButt I think we are very much on the same wavelength. Doesn't matter anyway, the questions thread was started for the purpose of questions and ahhh whatever. Moving on.

I weigh 100kg which is 220lbs. At my audition I was the second lightest in my group and the girl that was 95kg was shorter so looked a little bigger I think. The majority of the girls seemed to be 110kg, 242lbs. The mens average weight was more like 140kg, 308lbs. The noticeable difference between the US season 1 and 2 cast and the people at the auditions was that it looks like the Aussie one will go for women that aren't just in their 20s. Will be interesting to see who they pick. Of course I'm still waiting for them to realise the error in their ways and ask me to come back. I had such big plans for what I would do with the opportunity... bugger it!

Breath

Hotgirl, well of course there is going to be policing, we can't just let "another thread" go to the dogs now. But let's just say it will be kept to an absolute minimum. Hahaha So hotgirl, are you really hot?

Suzanne, that's a good idea. You would think that with all the studying we are all doing we should be able to answer a few questions for each other. Actually I think it was Petra? maybe and one or two others that were answering a few already and doing a good job.

Now after seeing this post I'm sure you all can see that I was actually trying to keep my posts to a minimum on the questions board. I can certainly ramble on. I'm on a mission to use every little picture thing and in the correct context.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #6  

Oz,
My husband thinks I'm hot. My boobs and butt aren't bad, unfortunately a pack of marshmallows took up permanent residence between the two LOL. He's saying I have fricken wicked legs too over my shoulder as I type. I figured I should go with a somewhat positive handle after the phatbutt discussion .
I'm new here but the post that made you leave the other thread was crappy. Jillian can answer any/all/none of the questions, that's her decision. She can decide what's relevant and someone trying to control the thread and making others feel bad could turn her off.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Hotgirl -- good for you for the positive handle!!!

Oz -- Maybe you can do your own Biggest Loser show in your own home... Weigh in on the same day as the show airs, up your intensity of workouts, etc... Tape the show and watch it throughout the week for motivation and tips... I dunno .... I'm just babbling here too Good idea on opening this thread ....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #8  

Default B.L. down under

Oz look at it this way - you weren't fat enough to be chosen! That's got to put a smile on your face, come on!

I do know what you mean, though. My weight-loss friend and I often joke about wanting to quit our jobs for 6 months and go to a "fat camp" as they are sometimes called. Being in a controlled environment, at least for a little while, seems like it would be very helpful.

But, since I am not a millionaire and can't just quit my job, it looks like I'll have to try to do this in the real world.

I set a goal this week for myself that I want to lose 1 lb - even though this week is Thanksgiving. I doubt I've ever gone a Thanksgiving week without *gaining*, so this should be interesting.

This smilie frightens me.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #9  

Default Very long but it really helped me.

Hi! I am glad to have a chat forum! We can bounce our ideas off of each other. This is very long! My hope is that someone can identify with it. I have had an enlightenment and really want to see if anyone else can get anything from it.

I still haven’t gotten my book but I went to Barnes and Noble and read as much as a could. I am a slow oxidizer so that means that I will do better with lower fat and higher carb diets (right?). I went to look for a book to get more specific advice but can you believe there aren’t a lot of diet books about anything but low carb diets. Anyway, I got a Weight Watcher book (I am a member) and it is great! I have learned a lot.

I should have known that I would do best on low-fat diets because years ago I got into the best shape of my life eating low fat and doing step aerobics daily. It was a way of life and I barely thought about it. But when we moved I had to put a lot of time into getting our house ready for sale and later moving. I got away from it and I have never gotten back. I really miss all of the energy I had and the confidence. When my body was strong I just felt different.

After I got away from the low fat diet and daily exercise is when all of the media started to report that low fat diets don’t work and high protein/low carb diets were the way to go. I have been on Protein Power, 40-30-30, the zone, etc. I did feel pretty good on the zone but it was too hard to stick with long term. On protein power I felt like something the cat drug in. Exercise?? How could I?? Even when I did it was just pathetic.

For me the low carb diets are unnatural. They are great for some people but totally go against what I naturally crave and what gives me energy and makes me feel satisfied. To be honest if I were to only eat what I craved I would probably stay away from meat. I know that isn’t good. Anyway, I would start to get results (especially the zone which I was able to stick to for a lot longer that Protein Power) and give up for different reasons. Sometimes a social situation would be impossible to avoid the “wrong” foods and one wrong evening would turn into a bad day and continue until I was completely off program. I would promise myself that I would start Monday–but I dreaded it. I missed potatoes and rice.

So, for the past few years I have been going for a lower carb diet to another low carb diet. I have exercised hard but inconsistently.

Ok, so then I started to think dieting doesn’t work (even though I “dieted” before successfully and kept it off for years with little trouble until moving). So, I just exercised. That is it. I did lose some but when you are busting your butt and only getting minimal results it gets frustrating. Because of being frustrated I would work out gun ho for 3-4 months every day and then stop. I felt better exercising (mood, mobility) but I was ticked off that I wasn’t getting real results. I had thin friends who would say “I don’t workout” and I would just feel like “what the heck am I doing it for then??”.

So, Sunday I pages through Jillian’s book which lead me to think that I should get a guideline for low-fat and higher carb diets which brought me to Weight Watchers. This book has been great for me. One of the first chapters is about believing that you can lose weight. I wasn’t so sure any more.

I am a weight watcher member right now. I have lost 12 pounds. The first 7 weeks I lost 12 pounds and for the next five I haven’t done very well (or so I thought). I have learned that I was setting unrealistic goals for myself. I wanted to lose 20 pounds in 10 weeks. I thought there was no reason why I couldn’t . I just had to be perfect. I had to journal every day and I had to keep within my points and exercise every day. Piece of cake, right?? I have learned that most people take 6 months to lose 10% of their body weight. Some will do it faster but that is the exception. So, hitting a few bumps is normal; just don’t throw in the towel.

Then in chapter 3 I learned the thing that has changed my whole attitude. WILLPOWER. I really thought I was lazy, a slacker, to ready to settle for second best (if even that). When I start a diet I have a high (very) level of “dietary restraint”. I write everything down, read every label, I exercise every day, Because of that I was not able to stick with it. I have learned that having a high level of dietary restraint is associated with obesity. Over time the way I expected myself to be just could not be sustained. I was prone to being on again and off again. If I went off program one evening then I might as well forget it. Until my next start date.

In between the time I left the program so to speak and until I started again I ate anything. Fast food-regular soda-pizza-candy. I had absolute abandonment of a healthy diet. The author called it “dietary disinhibition”.

In social situations I would watch my friends eat and eat and the same friends would tell me they don’t exercise and giggle at their lack of fitness. I would just think what on earth?? Am I trying too hard? Have I ruined my metabolism? Maybe I need to quit dieting. Maybe there is a set point. What I never thought of is that they may have gone all day without eating or will eat very little the next day to compensate for it. Not me. I would be upset and eat without any restraint out of frustration and giving up.

It isn’t about willpower or getting real. It is about setting up and environment that helps me–if I have candy and don’t plan healthy meals I am going to reach for what is quick not what is healthy and I need to prepare it or worse go to the store to get it. I need to prepare for social situations and practice how I am going to handle them and other temptations. I can’t willpower it alone. I need tools. An attractive fruit bowl is a tool. Regular shopping trips is a tool. Preparing meals is a tool (I am thinking of cooking one afternoon and freezing meals for the week). Rehearsing social situations is a tool (drinking especially).

I am going to create strategies that I can use today. I am going to give it a few days and if one of my strategies isn’t working I am going to plan b. For example: I want to exercise at home. I wasn’t able to do it today. I am going to keep working at morning exercise for a few more days. If that doesn’t work I have checked into a class. I have to exercise. I just need to figure out what is going to work consistently for me. I really love exercising to a video at home but the mornings are sometimes too full. Maybe plan b will be to exercise after dinner.

Anyway, I wanted to share and it really feels good to get this all out on paper–to sort out what is in my head. I hope this helps someone. If not, I really appreciate the outlet.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #10  

Default re: diets

Gina - I understand what you mean. I'm a fast oxidizer so I need to stick with the low carbs, but I can still relate to trying to have "willpower".

I've directed myself to a new mindset. I count my calories for the day. I try as hard as I can to lean toward healthy choices in my food. I can say to myself, ok let's see. I can have an entire lean steak, or I can have 1/4 of a cheeseburger from McDonalds. Which would I rather have? That sort of thing.

Even if I go crazy and eat something high-calorie for lunch, I just cut down the calories for my dinner so that I don't go too high. That way, I never feel like I'm going "off" any "diet". I hate that feeling. I would rather just feel like I'm making smart choices and still being able to eat what I want. That feeling of being denied the foods I like, sucks. And I don't feel that way at all when I just count calories.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #11  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Gina....SOUNDS GOOD TO ME GF!!! You know what else?... I can hear the committment in your post!! Not a false one, this (I think) is your A HA moment. Listen, I've been in your shoes many times as most of us here, and you just reach a point where you need to rely on and develop your own special tools for you to succeed. I think you've really thought this out and it can only bring you success. A poster on another thread said...(Ilene I think..) "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" This has certainly hit a cord with me. I am always planning ahead and in doing so....setting myself up to succeed. Success can be measured in many ways, big or small. We went out for dinner on the weekend, and I made sure the restaurant had grilled/broiled seafood. I didn't want to go to a pasta place and get the typical alfredo dish.... I always have a variety of protein foods for a quick snack.....I immediately get into my workout clothes when I get up..... Start making a list and you'll be surprized at how many ' successes' you can have in a day. Great post of yours!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:43 PM   #12  

SmartButt: I haven’t read this part in full but I did see that we need to realize what our favorite foods are and figure out ways to have them. Exchanging a highly caloric cheeseburger for a steak packed with protein is smart.

Angel: A ha and maybe a little forgiveness too. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" --how true is that!! Words to live by. You really did a great job this weekend. I really do feel like I have changed. After being so upset with myself I realize that I just needed to learn to let myself be human and set myself up to succeed by planning and learning.

We all have similar amounts of weight left to lose. What are your plans?? Do you plan on continuing to post here?? Maybe we could encourage each other. Thank you for your encouragement and sharing your experiences today
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #13  

Smile

Hotgirl, I wish I had someone standing behind me encouraging me to post about my best features. That's awesome. I think your marshmellows have an extended family that have taken up residents between my boobs and butt.

Ilene, well I'm installing the cameras around the house today for my very own BL show. Wonder if the family are going to mind.. I do find the shows very inspirational, they're not actually going to be shown here until Feb though so I think I'll get started anyway. Maybe I should call NBC and see if they want the rights to my show..hmmm money maker.

SmartButt, I WISH I was too skinny for the show.

Gina Gina Gina, I was laughing at the mental picture I had of you sitting in the book shop doing your oxidiser test and taking notes. I know exactly where you're coming from though, especially those between diets times where you can eat pretty much anything because it's your last chance before the Monday diet, I'm soooo guilty of that.

The thing that you said that struck a cord with me though was in your second post, where you mentioned forgiving yourself. When I thought about it I haven't forgiven myself, I get so angry at myself for allowing myself to get this way and having it comsume my life for so many years. That's what I'm going to work on.. forgiveness. Thanks for your post, now keep us informed of how it's all going, although that chicken on your ticker looks awefully determined to get to the other end of the worm.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Gina and Angel -- YES "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" That saying has helped me so many times you cannot imagine! I'm glad to see that it has helped you too. When I first read it, and I think it was Mel or Meg who said it first, it didn't click with me. Then one day in the LWL forum the girls were talking about making their meals on Sunday and packaging it for the week ... This is when the planning clicked with me. I now always make too much food in order to have leftovers for a few days so I don't have to think about what I can grab and eat... I always plan what I will eat at a restaurant too before I get there... Planning exercise is the easy part. for me it's the food that kills me ....
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #15  

Thumbs up Nice One!

Oh Ilene, I bow down to you. The use of the pictures in that last post was no less than masterful!