Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #91  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Okay, this is my week! I am still holding on to 9 lbs after the surgery, but I am cleared to get back to normal (just no high impact exercises) as of today. I am ready to get this weight off! I went outside and played with DS in the snow today and am about to do a slow mile with Leslie Sansone!

QOTD: What is a new healthy food you have added to your diet?
Vegetables in general! I would occassionally have a salad, but never really had a stable routine of eating them!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #92  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I have added brussel sprouts to my diet. I love them roasted!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #93  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Newer healthy foods:

- I never eat pasta w/o broccoli now
- I started adding extra peppers & onions to this sweet & sour fake chicken I eat
- I eat about a serving of tuna a week (I'm mostly vegetarian)
- I stopped eating fried eggs and switched to scrambled plus peppers, tomatoes, and onions

Basically I eat everything I used to eat but now with vegetables!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

Cakses - thanks for the measurements, that's a great help.

I now love broccoli which I previously wouldn't have put near my mouth.
Ditto mushrooms.

I also now have sushi quite regularly at lunchtime which until recently I hadn't tried. I love it!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

I forgot to tell you guys I tried boxing yesterday! Anyone given it a go? It's a bit different from my normal exercises but I think it's important to mix it up sometimes and stop your body getting too used to particular activities.

I really enjoyed it and learned I can really throw a punch! Felt it in my waist today, I will tell you. I particularly enjoyed skipping on a trampoline - was just thankful I had a sports bra on, LOL!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #96  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Got to the gym this afternoon. I did 4.3 miles on the TM and 3 on the bike and I feel great. I can breathe a lot better while I exercise. Hopefully I'm nearing the end of this cold so I can keep that up!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #97  
Michele

S/C/G: 215/209/130

Height: 5'1"

I also measure every week. I measure:
neck
bust
underneath the breast
waist
hips
and the rest I measure both left and rights
bicep
forearm
wrist
thigh
calf

QOTD: What is a new healthy food you have added to your diet?
Rice, I am eating rice at least once a week, this is something that I've never liked before but I am learning new ways to cook it so that I like it.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #98  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Clykk, what you posted about adding salt to your water makes no sense to me. You want to keep your sodium intake to a minimum. So, adding salt to your water is crazy IMO. I know you were just sharing what you found, but I think that is wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #99  
Becoming Less Fluffy

S/C/G: Then: 286 / Now: Ticker

Height: 5'4"

Default Hi!

Afternoon everyone!
I hope that we are all in for a fabulous week. Two weeks in, and our new lifestyle changes may not have quite taken root yet, but we're all trying, right?
"The distance doesn't matter; only the first step is difficult." - Madame du Deffand
Whether it's 20lbs or 100lbs or 200lbs, we have all made that first step to get here to week 3. Let's keep it up!

QOTD: What is a new healthy food you have added to your diet? In general, I've added more fruits and vegetables. I try to add a different one each week. Two weeks ago, I tried moro oranges (aka blood oranges). Last week was parsnips. This week...? Any suggestions for a green vegetable that would be good in Chinese stir-fry (no bell peppers, please)?

Bette k: One more day, and you'll hopefully have the answers you need to hear tomorrow. Hope you were able to control the stress eating over the last few days. Remember that your body is much better at fighting off attacks, whether emotional, mental or physical, when its healthy. Think healthy thoughts, eat healthy foods - be good to yourself!

Clykk: I'm glad you were able to find some release for your fear. Although, I didn't mean to make you cry . You do something that many of us only comfortably do in the shower or in the car. Technically, this may be a stretch for you, but you know that you can do this. Don't doubt your talent or your desire to show yourself to this new audience. And, I would love to hear your version of My Funny Valentine. Guess I'll have to buy the CD.

Cat (Cakses): Your challenges rock! I got in more exercise and water this weekend than I have all week. I hope you feel 100% soon. Not feeling well is no fun at all. That goes for you too RangerChic and Kimberly (bradleys mom). I hope you all feel better soon. Kimberly, glad you've gotten the go-ahead for low impact exercise.

MissVitality: I've been looking for a boxing class because I hear the workouts are brutal but effective. Was your class at a boxing facility or at the gym? Skipping on a trampoline, eh? I believe a sports bra, or two, would be a requirement.

Have a good week everyone! Go Red!!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #100  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Reminder: You must log in your weight by 11:59 EST for it to count for this week. That's in less than 3 hours. Those who have not logged their weight for week 1 and this week will be dropped from the challenge. If you want to stay in you need to put "freebie" in for your weight for those first two weeks, or else I will assume you dropped out. If you weighed in last week but don't get your weight in on time this week, you will have to take your first freebie. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #101  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

QOTD: I added brown rice and more veggies...I've eliminated more than I've added. I've eliminated everything wheat, fried foods, and red meat. Trying to cut back completely on diet sodas. I only drink coke zero with my bacardi, which isn't very often so it isn't completely out of control! I bought a veggie bowl at Weis for $10. It has radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, celery, grape tomatoes. I bought some fat free ranch veggie dip for it, so delicious!

This might sound crazy, but it was oh so good. I made a huge salad (romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup 2% mozzerella cheese, grape tomatoes and olives, and I put about 7 baked steak fries on it...some bbq and fat free ranch...all just under 300 calories and very very filling! Might just be my crazy cravings due to TOM...but it was still good!

Anybody else have some unusual yummy meal ideas?

Last edited by aangel22; 01-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #102  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerChic View Post
Clykk, what you posted about adding salt to your water makes no sense to me. You want to keep your sodium intake to a minimum. So, adding salt to your water is crazy IMO. I know you were just sharing what you found, but I think that is wrong.
As a nursing student I have to agree with Clykk. If your water levels in your body overtake your sodium levels you could end up hyponatremic, which is medical term for having very low sodium levels. It can be very dangerous, especially to your neurological system. Some symptoms of hyponatremia are nausea, vomiting, headaches and confusion. Its very unlikely to happen, especially with all the sodium that is in foods for preservation and in diet sodas and in food in general. I use Morton's Lite Salt and have never had a problem with water retention (other than from my surgery this past week). I just add it to my food. Most people wont have a problem. Unless you are someone who is excessively working out and sweating, I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you are drinking over 100 ozs per day.

(I am not a medical professional, yet, so dont hold me liable for anything! lol!)
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #103  
Be the change

QOTD: I'm working on eating more fruits and veggies and drinking my water. I struggle with the water.

Yay to those who have been under the weather but are starting to feel better! It's hard to workout when you feel awful. Sending healthy vibes to everyone!

Today I'm dragging a bit. I took a walk with my sister this morning and I'm spot on with calories. I had planned to do some strength training this afternoon, but I fell asleep while reading to the kids. I feel like I'm fighting something off. Hopefully I can stay nice and healthy.

For those who are struggling to lose despite doing the right things--I understand how frustrating that is. I struggled a lot with that last year. I would exercise and eat right and still the weight wouldn't budge. I know stress was a big factor for me. I think finding ways to relax and let go is important for weight loss. Just keep going and know that it will get better in time.

As for the WI due tonight: All I can say is GO RED!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #104  
Just Do It

S/C/G: 193/ticker/120

Height: 4'10"

Hello all. Sorry that I have been that active on the discussion. Things have been a little hectic. I've been staying OP mostly and have walked 3 miles on Sunday and today. I'm upping my exercise from 3 times a week to daily and I plan on keeping better track of my calorie intake. I'm wondering if I would do better if I wrote everything down instead of just entering it into myfitnesspal.

To all of you that are feeling under the weather I hope you all get to feeling better. It stinks being sick.

For all of you that have lost, congrats. If you haven't, don't give up. We can do this.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #105  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys mom View Post
As a nursing student I have to agree with Clykk. If your water levels in your body overtake your sodium levels you could end up hyponatremic, which is medical term for having very low sodium levels. It can be very dangerous, especially to your neurological system. Some symptoms of hyponatremia are nausea, vomiting, headaches and confusion. Its very unlikely to happen, especially with all the sodium that is in foods for preservation and in diet sodas and in food in general. I use Morton's Lite Salt and have never had a problem with water retention (other than from my surgery this past week). I just add it to my food. Most people wont have a problem. Unless you are someone who is excessively working out and sweating, I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you are drinking over 100 ozs per day.

(I am not a medical professional, yet, so dont hold me liable for anything! lol!)
I used to work in the psych ward and some psychiatric medications give people uncontrollable thirst--they would drink nonstop all day. Their sodium levels would drop to dangerous points. They would be admitted to the psych ward and we had to hide the water cooler and lock them out of their bathrooms and measure all their fluids until Drs could figure out their medications so they wouldn't harm their sodium levels. It made for cranky patients as well as annoyed staff.

Also, there is such a thing as water poisoning. Again, it's usually seen in people with conditions where they can't control their thirst. People who are drinking 100+ oz of water a day do need to caution themselves... drinking a lot of water each day is not really harmful but if it's 8 pm and you're trying to suck down 80 oz of water in one sitting to get your quota, that's where you could run into trouble.