Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #406  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

I haven't heard of any in my area. I would love to do a triathlon but probably start with a marathon or something
Old 06-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #407  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

On order of toughness, a Sprint distance triathlon -- usually about .25 miles swim, 15 miles bike, and a 3.1 mile run is about 1000 times easier than a full marathon (26.2 mile run).

Here is a locator link for tris in your area: http://www.trifind.net/nf/tx.html

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #408  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Hi everyone! Food choices are still really good (even picked up some awesome strawberries at the farmers market this am!) and water is over my goal, exercise is still lacking. I don't have time (again) tonight, but tomorrow I am back to the gym. My bag is packed, my mp3 player is charged, I will be doing cardio. Ahhhhh, it's good to have a plan!

Sorry I haven't had time to keep up w/ everyone, just still super busy at work.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #409  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
So, Bluesers..I'd like input from my teamies. In your expert opinions, what is the quickest way to drop inches....to heck with the number on the scale!...Ahem, sorry team. But, if I want to look more slender and lose some serious inches fast, what are your recommendations?

I'm thinking that strength traning and HIIT might be my ticket. What do you all think?

Pilates Pilates Pilates

i would take a class first because a lot of the detail stuff is important and not easily learned from a DVD. i did an awesome (read: expensive) class for six weeks, got the basics down and got a DVD. those inside tips are VERY important to the overall toning.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #410  
Trying it again....

Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #411  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I'm excited and scared about the 10K. I've always walked. I've done Race for the Cure a 5 K , 3.1 miles, and the MS Walk which is 7 miles but I've always walked. We'll see. No pressure. My goal is to finish.

Anna--Funny as usual. I'm ready to pull my hair out d/t this stagnation with weight loss. I'm hoping I lost .2 or .4, something.....!

Pinto--I did not set a target zone on mine. I let it register my heart rate, press okay, select start, press okay when it does own zone then it picks my range based on my age. Okay again and I'm off.

Rhonda--Regarding losing inches. I think you've got the answer there. Interval training is best. Cardio, weights, cardio, weights, etc. Pilates is good also. When I was a gym rat I would do 20 minutes each on 3 different cardio machines and would do weight training in between. Such as 20 minutes on the treadmill then I would get on the machines and do chest, back, and shoulders, then 20 minutes on the elliptical then I would do biceps, triceps, then you get the point.

Off to do schoolwork. I will be checking in again throughout the rest of the day/evening.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #412  
Made of Starstuff

Warning: Plurk Nonsense

Didn't post mine before:
http://www.plurk.com/user/Sprite
Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #413  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
I'm thinking that strength traning and HIIT might be my ticket. What do you all think?
I agree. Even if not right away, in the end they should help you to drop the pounds along with the inches.

I started following the Couch to 5k program, but I actually really enjoy the run/walk/run/walk so I've kept on the first week for like... 2 months I'm running and walking a little faster than I was when I began, but the switching up makes it a little more interesting.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #414  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Warning: Plurk Nonsense

Didn't post mine before:
http://www.plurk.com/user/Sprite
Aha, there you are!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #415  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas
I'd advise cardio cross training, particularly if you are limited on time.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #416  
Trying it again....

I just realized that I hit my 20 lb mark. I have lost 20 pounds as of today. WooHoo.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #417  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Tawyna, Congratulations!

Josephine- what is cardio cross training?
Anna - what is the difference between Pilates and calisthenics or yoga? I've seen women who do pilates and some of them are ripped, but I'm not sure I really know what kind of workout it is.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #418  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkglenn View Post
I just realized that I hit my 20 lb mark. I have lost 20 pounds as of today. WooHoo.
Yahhoooooooooo!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #419  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

Argghh ye mateys!!!

This is the 3rd time I’ve tried to get this message through. Even my word program messed up. It’s really not that complicated!

I just finished making a super salad including : orange and green peppers, radishes, jicama, avocado, green onions, purple onions, cilantro and cucumbers. Yummmm! Getting ready to go out to the yard and weed, oh joy.

Linda – I look forward to seeing pictures of your (and other’s) home. I looove pictures as well as architecture/home design, so I’ll be doubly pleased.

Dea and Angie – thanks for the positive comments on my yard/garden/house.

Anna – here’s the best info I know of for rabbits. I know how aggravating it can be to have those lagomorphs (rabbits, hares) and rodents (gophers, mice, moles and squirrels) consume your consumables, arggh. I bought one of those sonic mole chasers and if you look at the garden pic with the lettuce at the back, right in front of my feet, there’s a nice (?) new pile of dirt. (Supposed to keep ‘em away in a 9,000 sq ft radius and it’s only about 20 feet away!!!) Hope this helps, any suggestions for me and my gophers? Anyone?

One of the best ways is to construct a two foot high fence around the vegetable garden out of poultry wire. I like the type that is coated in green plastic. I have found it much easier to work with. It is very important that your fence be tight to the ground or even buried a few inches. Rabbits are more likely to go under a fence than hop over it. Also make sure that your fence openings are not too wide allowing the rabbits to squeeze through. I would recommend using fencing with openings not bigger than two inches.

Rabbits can also be controlled by aroma . Sprinkling dried blood around the border of your garden can be effective, as is fox urine. One suggested method for using the fox urine is to tie cotton balls on the fencing around your garden, then every few days sprinkle the cotton balls with a few drops of the fox urine (found at your local pet store???). Both dried blood and fox urine can be found at Southern States or other garden supply stores and are okay to use around vegetables. I have even used ferret feces (I can just see you squeezing a ferret for some rabbit deterrent) around the outside border of my vegetable garden fence. Ferrets are another natural predator of rabbits and this method seemed to help keep them away. Any of these methods will have to reapplied after rain. (But if you have a wild animal park, these may actually be available to you. Our Wildlife Safari has lion dung available)

Human hair sprinkled around the garden can also be used as a deterrent and when the hair eventually breaks down it serves as a good fertilizer. Local hair salons I am sure would be happy to give you a bag of human hair.
Gardeners have also reported success sprinkling vinegar, hot pepper flakes and liquid chile sprays on and around plants. One method is to soak corn cobs in vinegar for five minutes and then place them throughout the garden. The corn cobs should be resoaked in vinegar after two weeks. I have tried just sprinkling vinegar around the bean plants but without much success.

Some folks use moth flakes to keep rabbits away but they should not be used around vegetable gardens or even where children or pets can get to them.

Finally clover is a favorite food of rabbits as is the plantain weed. Rabbits would rather eat that than your vegetables, so if you can tolerate clover and even a few plantain weeds in your lawn, that may be the best solution of all.

Nori – I’ll make up the cost of gas, with free room and board (including harvest!). So see you around the end of August? (to beat the school rush) Happy 9th Anniversary btw. Amarie will be in Eugene by then too – I see a party coming together on the West Coast. Debbie, Elizabeth and Melissa – come on over!!!

Like Anjuli, Maria Rose, Rhonda and others, I am a loner too. I live 10 miles out of town, plus my good friends have jobs, family’s and homes to keep up with. Like Rhonda, working out of my home, being my own boss, makes interaction with others pretty scarce. 3FC (and now plurking) church and my garden help keep me sane. (DH would consume all of my time if I let him, so no problem getting interaction there.)

Rhonda – I’m doing the cardio, weights, cardio, weights. I measure again this Saturday. (Once a month) I’ll let you all know how that’s going. (For weights I’m using Turbo Sculpt, and it’s truly a workout, but I find it enjoyable. I think it was Jaime who suggested it.)

Anjuli – I’m so glad to hear you enjoy the “inspirational information”. I have another for today which is part of a program I went through for teaching the subconscious to make things happen for us. Here it is:
Until I am committed, there is a hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffective. But the moment that I definitely commit my self, then God moves also. All sorts of things occur to help me that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events are issued in my favor, all manner of unforseen incidents, meetings, persons and material assistance which I could never have dreamed of coming my way. My stand is that WHO I AM is the Possibility for . . . .(fill in the blank).

Weeds, look out!

Dora
Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #420  
Michelle the Vegan

Rhonda, by cardio cross training I basically meant to focus on several different types of cardio activities to keep your workouts changing...