Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #676  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Body fat measurements and the measuring tape are recognized as superior methods for measuring "weight loss". When one declares that they want to "lose weight", what they often mean is that they want to lose fat. So, now that you've had your body fat percentage measured, what does the number really mean?
First, your body fat percentage is simply the percentage of fat your body contains. If you are 150 pounds and 10% fat, it means that your body consists of 15 pounds fat and 135 pounds lean body mass (bone, muscle, organ tissue, blood and everything else).
A certain amount of fat is essential to bodily functions. Fat regulates body temperature, cushions and insulates organs and tissues and is the main form of the body's energy storage. The following table describes body fat ranges and their associated categories:
*General Body Fat Percentage Categories

ClassificationWomen (% fat)Men (% fat)Essential Fat10-12%2-4%Athletes14-20%6-13%Fitness21-24%14-17%Acceptable25-31%18-25%Obese32% plus25% plus*American Council on Exercise
Knowing your body fat percentage can also help you determine if your weight loss goals are realistic. Remember, weight loss doesn't always mean fat loss. For example:

Let's say you're a 130# woman with 23% body fat, and you goal is to "lose 20 pounds":
Initial body fat: 130# x 0.23 fat = 30 # body fat
Lean body mass: 130# total - 30# fat = 100# lean body mass (bones, organs and all else)
Goal: 130# - 20# = 110 pounds
As you can see, the goal of losing 20 pounds is not realistic or healthy. At 110 pounds, this woman still requires 100# of lean body mass (bones, organs, etc.), but would only be carrying 10#, or only 9% body fat. From the chart above, you can see that this is a dangerously low percentage.

A better goal might be for the woman to reduce her body fat from 23% to 18%. In this case:
130# x 0.18 = 23 # body fat
100# lean body mass + 23 # = 123# goal weight
So, for this individual to achieve a lean, but healthy 18% fat, she would need to lose only 7 pounds of fat, reducing her weight from her current 130 pounds to 123 pounds. Losing more than 7 pounds means losing lean body mass (usually metabolically-active muscle tissue), which is clearly not desirable.
So before you decide that you need to "lose weight", remember to consider that "weight" consists of both lean body mass and body fat. Try to keep your weight loss goals realistic, and remember, keep the calorie-burning muscle, and lose only the fat.

SOURCE: http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm you can see the chart of healthy ranges here - it got a little mucked up when i copy/pasted it

Last edited by sportmom; 01-29-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #677  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I'm still having trouble with getting an accurate body fat measurement. My gym doesn't do weights and measures, it's a spa/gym, heavy emphasis on spa. But it's free and close to the house, so I make do. My Tanita scales show the same body fat % as when I was 29 pounds heavier, so I get discouraged and don't use that as an indicator. I mean really, I work out over an hour a day, I have to be building some muscle and losing some fat, right?

I want to get my BMR tested, and my body fat. I wonder if another gym could do that for me?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #678  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
I'm still having trouble with getting an accurate body fat measurement. My gym doesn't do weights and measures, it's a spa/gym, heavy emphasis on spa. But it's free and close to the house, so I make do. My Tanita scales show the same body fat % as when I was 29 pounds heavier, so I get discouraged and don't use that as an indicator. I mean really, I work out over an hour a day, I have to be building some muscle and losing some fat, right?

I want to get my BMR tested, and my body fat. I wonder if another gym could do that for me?
Not necessarily. I mean, your ratios could be staying the same, kwim? You've lost weight, but body composition is the same. Unless you are lifting weight (& maybe you are) I wouldn't expect to build muscle just from working out/curves type stuff or cardio. You really have to train with weights fairly hard to build measurable muscle difference. You could be losing fat but also muscle at the same rate, making your percentages remain about the same.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #679  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the work the team leaders put into this and how much support the team mates provide too. I am glad Chellez was made moderator too. She's been really fair, helpful and mature about things.

I sometimes feel like an emotional, hormonal freak. Maybe I should filter myself more but I ultimately don't see the harm in being honest. I speak from the heart when I say that this board and this forum in particular helps keep me focused, gives me the accountability I need and don't get in my "real" life.

Thanks, everyone!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #680  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

It seems like a lot of us are struggling. Why can't it feel easy like it LOOKS on the show??? (I know, I know, they have NOTHING else to worry about besides eating healthy and working out and dealing with their emotions!) I myself slacked for a couple of days but today am back where I need to be.

My challenge right now is finding time to workout. My kids are doing some crazy stuff during nap time and only giving me "me" time in ten minute bursts. So I got about 8 minutes done (took me 2 minutes to change my shoes and put in the DVD), then had to stop for 4 or 5 minutes to console a child, got another 4 minutes done, had to stop again.... I gave up after that. Twelve minutes. Not very good. I also took a short walk this morning. Still... it's tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Tuesday's question of the day:

How important is drinking water to you? What differences do you notice in your weight loss, appearance, etc, from drinking extra water?
Other than having to pee a lot and not getting such a bad headache in the evening (there's still a headache, but it's much less), no difference for me. I have one of those Pur pitchers and I try to refill it three or four times.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #681  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hello ladies...

QOD...water is very important to me. I wouldn't be losing weight without it. Although, I can't say that I notice a difference in my skin or hair like some do.

Last edited by chellez; 01-30-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #682  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Okay Blue team I issued a challenge in the Spoilers thread! Its 2 parts but you dont gotta do both just challenge yourself to do one or both:

Part 1: to work out during the show tonight

Part 2: to do the imaginary chair for an entire commericial break. The imaginary chair is when you do the motion of sitting in a chair with your back up against the wall and hold that position for an entire commercial break. Not as easy as it sounds!

Lets see who can go a whole commerical break!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #683  

Fran - math has never been my strong point. Thanks for giving me the formulas.

I've figured out that my lean body mass is 101. (my weight today is 173, and Tanita says I'm 42% body fat) So now I'm getting confused with the numbers. I want to retain say 24% body fat, so that would be about 17 pounds, correct? So in order to have 24% body fat, I'd want to set my goal weight at 118? Dang, that's a lot lower than I originally thought.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #684  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post

Part 2: to do the imaginary chair for an entire commericial break. The imaginary chair is when you do the motion of sitting in a chair with your back up against the wall and hold that position for an entire commercial break. Not as easy as it sounds!

Lets see who can go a whole commerical break!
I'm in! It's on! Heck I might try for a few commercial breaks!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #685  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

To go along with Fran's post, if you want to figure out an ideal weight (IW) for a certain body fat percentage (BF%), here's a formula. You have to use the information from Fran to get your lean body mass (LBM):

IW = LBM / (1-BF%)

So, here's my situation. I weigh 161. My body fat percentage is 24%. I want my body fat percentage to be 18%. What will I weigh with 18% body fat? What is a good "ideal" weight for me?

Current weight x Current Body Fat Percentage gives me a lean body mass of 122 lbs.
122 / (1-0.18) = 149 lbs.

So, my target weight of 150 lbs. is a realistic and healthy one!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #686  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgirl32 View Post
To go along with Fran's post, if you want to figure out an ideal weight (IW) for a certain body fat percentage (BF%), here's a formula. You have to use the information from Fran to get your lean body mass (LBM):

IW = LBM / (1-BF%)

So, here's my situation. I weigh 161. My body fat percentage is 24%. I want my body fat percentage to be 18%. What will I weigh with 18% body fat? What is a good "ideal" weight for me?

Current weight x Current Body Fat Percentage gives me a lean body mass of 122 lbs.
122 / (1-0.18) = 149 lbs.

So, my target weight of 150 lbs. is a realistic and healthy one!

OMG my head is spinning. Now I've got a goal weight of between 123 with 18% body fat and 132 with 24% body fat. I have a lot more work to do than I first thought.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #687  

i had you at about 134-135 with 24% dixie, so yeah, you got it! Maybe set a goal of 30% bf to start with and go from there so it's not such a tough target.

Last edited by sportmom; 01-29-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #688  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Yeah, this all kinda confused me also. I just took the #'s the personal triner gave me after measurments...he said I had 85 pounds of pure fat to lose! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other poundage I need to lose will come from lean muscle mass (the bigger you are the more you have) and blood volume...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #689  
Go Blue Team!!!

S/C/G: 182/171/140

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone!
I've been really bad at checking in and posting the last week or so.
Our new grandbaby was born on the 18th and I've been really busy helping out with the other two grandchildren (4 & 2).
I had a so-so week for week 2.....only lost 1/2 lb.........but I guess it's better than nothing!
I'm hoping for better numbers this week #3.

My exercising hasn't been consistant, but hopefully things will settle down here soon and I can get back on track with it.

Wishing everyone a successful week and hopefully the BLUE TEAM can kick the other teams booty!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #690  

Sara - Congrats on the new grandbaby!