Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #166  
Made of Starstuff

Hi everyone!

It's a great day here Very cool, and wonderful.

Not a whole lot to report, which is a good thing! Just sticking to my plans, and getting things done. About to get up and take my daily walk for movement.

Wishing everyone well!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #167  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Thanks for all the well wishes. I believe the flu has passed. I am allergic to antibiotics (as is my sister and my mom was) so I just have to allow my body to heal itself. It does if I treat it with the respect it deserves!

I read all of your posts. Last week, I agreed to do a report on an early 4th century Pope, St. Eusebius (I picked it because of you Erika) and I didn't feel well enough to do until 1 a.m. today. I need to go and print off a copy to hand to our leader, review what I researched (god bless the internet!) and then give it tonight to our group. I was going to make my whole wheat banana bread but I just don't have time.

I will quickly add that now that I am back to where I was I am falling in line with the spiritual fasting for the next 6 1/2 months. It began on Wednesday. My DH, Paul, bought himself Kit Kats when he went to pick up o.j., milk and bread (and this is mandatory for him by the way!) and I helped myself to two last night. ["Feed a cold, starve a fever."] No more from now on though. What he does with the rest is on his shoulders, not mine!

onebyone Would meditation help with your anxiety? Can you set aside 10 minutes and be quiet--maybe, even lower the lights and keep the noise both outside and within down to a dull roar?? I suspect that your BP is also linked to your anxiety as well as the puffiness. Have you gone low sodium as part of your BP treatment? I found that by cutting out caffeine (and then reintroducing it several years later) my once high BP dropped down significantly. Now the only time it goes back up is after having Chinese.

My heart is with you as you struggle. It will come. I know it will.

I am going to cut this short. GJ Bill on lifting the refrigerator Mighty Man!! Beverlyjoy, Lexxiss, et al --GJ on the menus and walking that hill (I hear you on that one!) I will get back to all of you tomorrow when I have more time to chew the fat (low of course) with ya all.

What is with Doctor's offices and handing out junk food? What ever happened to a good polished apple or is it only witches that hand those out anymore??

Love Pam
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Tgif

Hello Everyone,

Had an OP day yesterday with food, reading cards and planning. Missed my exercise but had a wonderful massage! I have now finished the 42 days of Beck and am giving myself credit for that. Quite a few things are more automatic now and I have been more conscious of pausing before snacking and asking if I really need to and what choices am I making. Weight was up a bit this morning but that's a biological/hormonal thing and I'm not letting it phase me, it's only a number after all. My smaller clothes are my inspiration right now! I did take measurements last weekend and have lost 4inches total so that's a start in the right direction.

Looking forward to the weekend and a break from my desk and office telephone.

Have a good weekend
Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/coaches… yesterday was a healthy day.. I am grateful. I did all my Beck journal work. Credit. I do this in a spiral. I have a ‘system’ to keep track of it all. Twice during the day - I used my resistance techniques to stop from eating unplanned food. One time was that I fell asleep in the LazyBoy chair. I woke up to meander to the bedroom. Ordinarily, I would have stopped to eat something. But, I didn’t - it’s a major credit.

Last time I was at the grocery I got two no sugar fudge bars. I planned for one yesterday… but, ended up eating both. (different times of the day, at least) So, I was mostly OP.

I did many things well: left a bite, ate seated, fork down (sometimes), no seconds, lots of water, calories were good, sodium was good, and I tried to eat slower/mindfully/tasting the food (did better). I did not read my ARC/RC/Beck and no exercises.

I’ve been looking at some menu threads around 3fc. I need inspiration - for seeing how I can maybe change it to lower sodium. There’s some good info on the recipe places, etc on the internet.

Maryann -dog walking and yoga - excellent!! You said: It is not when I slip that creates the damage, it is how quickly I get back on track. I think we could all tatoothis to our brains. LOL

Michi - my DH only wants to eat in front of the TV, too. So, sometimes I turn off the tv when he’s not around and it’s time to eat. I’ve tried and tried to get him to the table.. It last for a couple of days only.

Valerie - hope your daughter’s feeling better so you can get your exercise in. Glad DH is home… that’s nice. Sorry to hear of the split with you daughter and her boyfriend. It is so true… often parents get stressed when their kids are stressed. (at least I do - however DH doesn’t.- hmmm)

Onebyone - credit for keeping tack of your food. I’ve never heard of a doctor interviewing a patient either. Let us know how it goes. Sorry you are struggling so. Plan, plan and plan some more. Try to hop back on your plan and do the best you can.

Billbe - credit for your OP days and staying ‘under the radar’ until you could do your inspection!

Lexxiss/Debbie - so glad you could hold on tight and get through phase one of SB. *sigh of relief for you* Major credit for not eating when upset!! Carry on.

Lovely - glad you are having a good day!!

Pamatga - so glad to hear you are feeling some better. YAY I know it’s hard to have candy around the house. I’ve had to ask DH to keep it out of sight or don’t bring it in the house, please. Hop back on your plan… you will be OK.

tazzy - so glad you got your massage!! I am doing a happy dance for you. So many Beckism’s are becoming a bit easier or more natural for you. It’s awesome.

Have a good day, friends.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-16-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #170  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I had a healthy day and travel early Saturday morning, so checking in very early. My lunch out was enjoyable, small and OP. I saved room for a small snack at Whole Foods. I tried some buffalo wings from their deli and peeled off the skin. *credit* Since I didn't have formal exercise, I parked as far out as I could every time I stopped. It occurred to me yesterday that there are alot of foods that I still walk by every single day and wish that I could eat...I have moments of some sort of regret. I remember when I didn't care and I just ate everything I wanted to. Those days are gone and are not coming back unless I want to gain my weight back. What I can do, however, is be creative with my choices and seek out new options...and when I really want to try something, Dr Beck lets me plan it in at a future date. Keeping that thought in mind, I went to my favorite spice store yesterday. I bought some Mayan Cocoa, which had cinnamon and chili powder in it. I promptly made my black bean brownies when I got home and added the spicy cocoa. It was interesting, but more importantly, I was willing to try something new.

In an effort to get back in the loop...I will catch up with yesterday's postings.

BillBlueEyes,credit for an OP day with NO extra snacks and belated congrats for another maintenance milestone!

Beverlyjoy, have you looked at the SBD recipes? There is a pretty good collection there...whole grains/no whites. Credit for not eating on the way to the bedroom! I sense that is a big success!

Tazzy, great that you have finished the 42 days of Beck with such great results! *credit*

Pam(atga), glad you're feeling better! Great that you are saying NO CHOICE to the Kit Kats!

Lovely, "no news is good news!" credit for checking in!

maryann, credit for setting goals, which include exercise and food planning on an MFA day.

Val(va1erie), so sorry the drama continues. Poor DD. credit yourself, for taking care of her, not eating for comfort, contacting your diet buddy AND exercising!

onebyone, I hope you are feeling better. From another sometimes puffy person, 3 days without the high sodium foods and watching the white flour/sugar will bring your weight right back down. It also works the opposite. credit for saying NO CHOICE to moving forward. Great you have a new DR.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #171  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

Report: didn't read my cards, weighed (up that 2.6 I was down yesterday -- I bet I just stepped on the scale wrong then), ate fairly mindfully, made good choices, didn't have a wine-induced snackfest after happy hour, got tons of exercise (my class, plus I walked both to class and later to happy hour), contacted my diet buddy.

Lexxiss - if all you have is a thread to hang on by and you manage it, yay you! I understand that feeling of regret when you walk by the foods you used to eat. I kind of think of it like the whole 'airy lightness' vs. 'scary emptiness' thing. There's a -beauty- in not eating everything you want to eat.

Lovely - yay on sticking to plan!

maryann - love your thoughts on art! I remember what a revelation it was to me when I first heard the term 'modeled art.' I thought about all the kids being handed a piece of blue construction paper and a bag of cotton balls so they could recreate the 'snowy day' picture their teacher had made. Do you ever watch Project Runway? (My guilty pleasure -- reality competition for aspiring fashion designers.) This season there's an episode in which the designers go to Harlem School of the Arts and create a painting with teenagers, then use that painting as their inspiration for a garment. Some of the art these kids were creating was ASTOUNDING. Seriously could go into any gallery.

pamatga - so glad to hear the flu has passed! I should get my shot!

Tazzy - Yay on finishing the entire Beck program and that some things are becoming automatic! That's big!

Beverlyjoy - Yay on using your resistance techniques to resist unplanned eating!

Val

Last edited by va1erie; 09-17-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including a walk (CREDIT moi) to a vegan restaurant. It was such a pleasure to see them super busy - it's more common for noble efforts to die off without support. DW had a bacon cheeseburger which sounds like a triple oxymoron for vegan, LOL, which was super. My dish was a small kale, black peppers, and sweet potato pizza that was uber spicy. The ginger sweep potato soup was to-die-for. Always nice to be reminded that good food doesn't have to include meat.

onebyone - Thanks for the reminder, "O well, feelings are not facts" - I can use that when I feel overwhelmed at times. Yay for passing the interview to be accepted as a patient - I've never heard of that before. It's so true of you, "I will keep trying."

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for recognizing "I did many things well:..."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Big Kudos for avoiding eating while upset. Wish I could drop by for those black bean brownies using your new Mayan Cocoa.

maryann - Breaks my heart that kids that young can see themselves as not good enough. Wish I could send them all hugs.

Pam (pamatga) – Glad that your flu has passed - it's hard to be rational about anything with the flu.

Tazzy - Kudos for passing the 42 days milestone, and Kudos for giving yourself credit for it. Smaller clothes are the greatest feedback.

Lovely"Just sticking to my plans, and getting things done." Nice!

Val (va1erie) - Sending supportive thoughts to your DD - that's a tough blow. Kudos for being a sympathetic and supportive mommy when the going is rough. And Kudos for ducking the nibbles after happy hour.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 5 Get Moving

what to do . . .
. . .
3. If you already do some other form of exercise, keep it up and keep challenging yourself to do a little more. The American College of Sports Medicine and the Centers for Disease Control recommend that you work up to a minimum of 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise (such as walking, cycling, or swimming) five days a week, plus strength-training two times a week for optimal health. On page 264, you'll find a sample strength-training routine you can do at home. Don't get overwhelmed if you can't initially complete the routine. You can build up to it gradually.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 70.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-18-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Typo: DH->DW
Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #173  
Made of Starstuff

Morning & happy weekend!

Just checking in to say hello! I've got some grocery shopping to do today and tomorrow and I'm looking forward to just getting out of the apartment. Plus, I get to go to Trader Joe's, and I absolutely love going there. I'm lucky there's one only about 10 minutes from my house.

Watched a lecture on sugar last night while planning out some of my meals for next week. Felt nice to be absorbing some things about nutrition while planning. (Even if it was the usual "avoid HFCS and added sugars in foods".) Good news is that planning is mostly done, so I only have to work out a couple nights of dinners, and I'll be set for next week. MUCHO credit & stickers for me for continuing to plan meals.

The next week in this area is going to be a bit cooler, so I'm looking forward to keeping the windows open and freshening up the apartment with crisp air.

Have a great couple of days, everyone!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning and Happy Weekend. Lots of life packed into yesterday. Got my response letter to my MFA packet and my advisor was extremely pleased how much I am learning and complimented me on my effort. I was so relieved but at the same time I get extremely uncomfortable with praise. Crazy, I know.

So I was on tender hooks the rest of the day and snapped at DS over nothing - swore some - which I am not proud of. Credit for calming down relatively quickly, sitting him down and telling him none of it was his fault, that Mom gets scared that she isn't perfect because in grandpa's house you had to be perfect. DS thought about it for a while, went to his room, got his "Buddy" teddy bear and said, "Why don't you hold this for a while. You know, if it is your best, it is your best. That is all that matters." Beautiful and I felt grateful. Was able to stay OP through it all and maintain ticker weight. DH came home and we had a nice family evening.

Sometimes I can't believe the home I have. It is so different than how I grew up. I feel lucky but I also know it takes an incredible amount of work for me to be spiritually fit. That is just who I am - mood swings, addiction, all of that. My husband calls me the Bo Jackson of my family because of how hard I work at healthy living. This morning DS crawled into bed between the two of us and said, "I love being between you two. I feel so safe."

Long and short of it - I am "in" on healthy living and healthy living means healthy food. New recipe last night - Italian sausage with chickpeas. cilantro and onions. Yum! Off to Picasso exhibit in SF.
BBE: I am way into to vegetarian. I even got DH to eat Black Bean Burgers although when he is out of my sight he'll eat cheese in a can.
Beverleyjoy: Credit for using those resistance techniques. I like the idea of strengthening our muscles even if the day isn't perfect.
Va1erie: Credit for all the exercise and a moderately happy hour.
Tazzy and lovely: enjoy the weekend.
Pamatga: Credit for letting go of baking and cooking when there isn't time. That is really tough for me.
Lexxiss: It really is amazing to think how we used to eat. Good Gravy! Literally.

Last edited by maryann; 09-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #175  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default willingness

Hey Coaches

*credit*weighed in: no change

I'm just sitting here spending a quiet Saturday at home. I started using this software I came across online, a free 15 day trial of a thing called DietPower and it is helping. It's my 2nd day of logging my food into it, *credit*and even though my food was not low carb, and not particularly small, I added it to the program and it told me I still have 700calories available for the day and it told me I am way ahead in my water consumption *credit*and it showed me, basically, that it will do the adding and subtracting and tracking for me. I already picked a goal to reach *credit*and it's just tracking me. I don't know why I am finding this so comforting today, but I am.

Today I feel willing again to keep going, keep trying, keep focused and to re-focus. *credit*My task today is to analyze my four days of eating and see what patterns emerge and then go back to my book, basically my foodplan, to see what the next step is. I'm *sighing* as I write this because inside my is just screaming "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!! YOU MUST LOSE WEIGHT NOW QUIT F'IN AROUND WITH ALL THIS CRAP YOU'RE JUST STALLING JUST STOP EATING, EXERCISE HARD AND DON'T THINK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE--FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS"

Well, my inner saboteur is out in full force. The quick fix is not for me. *credit*I don't think I can do it anyway. I think, for me, this is a fantasy I cling to. Maybe I just want it to actually *be* that easy and that consistent. Ha!
If it was, there'd be no need for me to be writing to you guys every day.

;P to you
*credit*

Onward.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-17-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Coaches & Buddies,

Late check in today. OP day yesterday and up until lunch time today. Have kind of been snacking this afternoon but not big quantities just not great choices, I'm sure rosebud chocolates are a food category somewhere in the world!

I'm giving myself credit for making it through Costco with no samples even though other shoppers almost ran me over with their carts to get to the tables! Also went to the Bulk Barn store and even though I bought some chocolate treats and such (for the family) I brought home much smaller quantities that I usually would so they won't be around to tempt me.

Still struggling with the planned exercise. It's a good thing Zumba class is tomorrow so I have that one to go to. Was going to start pulling plants from the garden today but an unexpected hail storm changed that plan. I did wear my pedometer and had over 5800 steps by 7pm. I did weigh this morning and am down from yesterday slightly. Would love to be able to change the ticker but again it's just a number.

onebyone I've been thinking about your struggles lately and thought of one of the response cards I have. Maybe it would help you. "Forget the long term. Focus on today. I know I can continue what I need to do today. If it's hard tomorrow, I'll deal with it then." I have to remind myself that I didn't put this weight on overnight and it's not going to come off that way. As well I think I assume that people judge me by my weight and not what's inside, although I personally try hard not to do that to others. You should consider any progress you make before your trip in Feb a success in make positive changes to your life. You could get some spontaneous exercise stomping on your

maryann Out of the mouths of babes and their perspective on the family and the world around them. You are very lucky to have a great son and husband!

BBE Credit for the great choice at dinner. I think at times I could be vegetarian as I can easily eat a meal without meat. Thanks for the notes on exercise from the book. It's a great reminder to me to get moving.

lovely Credit for planning ahead on your meals. I find it makes my life so much easier to do that. If I can get at least the protein figured for dinner I can easily work the rest of the meal around it.

va1erie Credit for all your exercise and kudos for walking to class and happy hour! My plan tomorrow, weather permitting, is to ride my bike to Zumba. Will be okay going there, coming home is all uphill though.

Lexxiss Credit for planning your lunch and saving room for a snack. Your brownies sound interesting. Good work on parking farther away to get in spontaneous exercise.

beverlyjoy Credit for walking from the Lazy boy directly to bed and bypassing the kitchen.

pamatga Glad to hear you are feeling better. Hope your report on St. Eusebius went well with the group. Credit for realizing that Kit Kats don't fit into your spiritual fasting.

Wishing everyone a healthy OP night!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #177  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A good eating day, CREDIT moi, including a salad with portobella mushrooms with my turkey meatloaf for dinner. Went to see a production of Porgy and Bess last night - can't remember when, or if, I've ever seen a live production before.

Felt all the emotions watching Bess give in to her addiction and leave with Sporting Life for New York. And watching Porgy overcome his physical restrictions and become more empowered. Gotta love that music. It open with Summertime then keeps going with score that's we've all heard forever, including: I Got Plenty of Nothing, It Ain't Necessarily So, A Red Headed Woman, and There's a Boat That's Leaving Soon.

onebyone - Sigh, "The quick fix is not for me." It never is. It was so hard last night watching Bess go for the quick fix with the magic white powder. Maybe she could have used, The urge for snort is not an EMERGENCY. Kudos for avoiding those Sabotaging Thoughts that would divert you from a calm, steady path.

maryann - Your DS is correct - adults should have teddy bears for when they don't feel safe. Kudos to you and your DH for providing a home where your DS feels safe.

Tazzy - Honking Kudos for a trip through Costco without FREE samples. LOL at being nearly run over by the other shoppers; that mob mentality helps me stand back and see that it's not about satisfying my body's need for sustenance.

Lovely – Yay for being close to Trader Joe's. Their FREE sample yesterday was a hard Jack cheese to grate in place of parmesan - a new notion for me. I bought a bunch of their 19 cent bananas. Have your read that the HFCS guys are lobbying to change the name to "corn sugar" - which would allow them to avoid all the education about HFCS?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 5 Get Moving

what to do . . .
. . .
4. If you don't currently exercise, start some kind of program. At least three times a week, extend your five-minute walk. Consider going to an exercise class, getting an exercise DVD, going swimming, taking up a sport, doing yoga, or working out at a gym.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 70.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-18-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #178  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday and it's Sunny

Good Morning Coaches

Got up, weighed in, -0.2=283.1 *credit*

Nice day out there. Makes me want to take the car for a spin.
I probably won't go anywhere special, but I will get to the farmers' market. I'm down to my last peach.

Today I will do a WATP video. I'm also logging my food all day. I'm going for no seconds as well. I haven't been sticking to that rule for a while. It's just time to start pulling it together.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... yesterday was very difficult for me. I've been doing the low sodium thing for the past 5 weeks. Basically, I am eating the same things everyday. I got more fudgescycles for a treat. But - ate them all in a day & then many of the things I have been 'missing'. (certainly, I did not watch my sodium yesterday) I am feeling pretty bored with my food selections. I must find some low sodium tasty recipes to keep it more interesting.

An unhealthy day doesn't have to define my week. I've planned for a good day. I'll go to the grocery and try and 'mix it up' a bit the best way I can. I'll go back to the low sodium sites for ideas and recipes.

Forward, I'll go.

Have a great day!!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #180  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

Report: didn't read my cards, weighed (down 1.2), went out to dinner and chose fairly reasonably (Indian -- had a very small serving of appetizer, one small piece of naan, skipped the rice, skipped dessert), got nearly 14000 steps on my ped between the market and walking to dinner, contacted my diet buddy. Bleah, not feeling good. Woke up okay but now I feel nauseated. Hope I'm not getting sick.

BBE - Yum, wish I had a vegan restaurant I could walk to!

maryann - recipe sounds good! I love chickpeas!

Tazzy - Costco with no samples is definitely creditworthy!
Closed Thread