Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #136  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches/Buddies - I finally managed to put together a good food day yesterday. May it be the first of many. It took a lot of sitting with uncomfortable feelings, so credit moi for that. The school year is starting again and it's odd this year because my husband is on sabbatical, so I kind of feel like all the work stress is on me this year. I know everything will be fine but old patterns die hard.

Today is my first day of teaching at the university and it's jam-packed. I will have to eat lunch during lessons, which I really don't like doing, but unless I want to commute to a different city more than one day a week, it's my only option. So I'll deal.

I hope to get to personals tomorrow but I just wanted to say, Val, that I'm really sorry for your loss and I'm really impressed with how you're handling the situation. Big kudos to you.

Wishing everyone a great day,
Erika
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 206/195/165 (for now)

Height: 5' 2"

Morning everyone! Not sure what the issue is, but I was having trouble posting last night. So this will have to be a short post from the office this morning as I have a major report to finish today.....

First official weigh-in since being back on plan was yesterday. Happy to report 3.0 pound loss! Despite those blasted chips and dip..... Good to see some results, especially with eating fairly clean and upping the exercise so much.

Thank you all for your encouragement regarding getting past those chips and back on target! I did make some less than stellar food choices yesterday, but I always tend to "treat" myself a bit on weigh-in days. Definitely did not overdo it this time, and back right on track today.

Hope everyone is feeling better out there - whether physically or emotionally! Been a tough go for some of you - hang in there!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #138  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

This is going to be short and sweet because after this I am returning to bed. My cold was getting better last night but I awoke this morning with it being worse even though I slept well last night. "oh well".

Va1erie Again so sorry for your lose.
maryann great story about the dogs. We can learn so much from what is around us if we would just open our eyes, ears and heart.
eusebius I hate eating "in between" like that. Credit goes to you for seeing it as less than ideal but certainly worth not eating more over too.
Bill Credit for eating less free samples that can only derail the best laid plans. Somehow the way you are always storing up your stash of nuts makes me think you are part squirrel. Any squirrel relations?
missyj on those 3 lbs gone for good! GJ and Major Credit!

I didn't exercise yesterday although I am going to see if I can later this afternoon. For now, I have a "date" with my bed.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi becksters/coaches/friends - yesterday was a healthy day. I am always grateful for that along with the willingness to keep trying.

I got most of my 'healthy living tasks' completed either all the way or partially. I am working hard on having a sane relationship with food. Keep hoping. I read part of the Beck book which I don't do often ennough. Credit!

I did change my dinner - just didn't want to eat the high sodium deli turkey. (DH can have that.) I replaced it with something healthy and within the perameters of my food plan.

I need to do my planning better - as once again, I ended up under my calories. I certainly do need to eat more than 1000 calories a day. I had an extra unplanned rice cake with pnb & honey. Somehow, it just didn't feel right. I sometimes think I feel quilty about what I am eating alot anyway . I found a happy medium before - and was able to switch a meal or snack when necessary. Just working on 'my comfort zone' with food. It kind of makes me feel crazy to say all these things. As my son always says: It is what it is.

Have a great healthy day, friends.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #140  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday - change is afoot

Hi Coaches

Weighed in this morning: -0.9 = 282.6 *credit*
I moved the majority of the boxes out of the dining room and can now see the floor and the back wall completely. *credit* I moved the boxes into the kitchen and then headed to the bedroom to clear out the closet. There were 5 bags of clean clothes/linens in there from the move. I got through all of them *credit* and gathered one large bag full of things to donate. *credit* the bag is in the car now to drop off *also credit*I also emptied 2 boxes. I carried some boxes from the kitchen into the bedroom closet and reduced the chaos in the kitchen. I can probably fit the rest of the boxes in the kitchen into that closet but I know some of that stuff will be sold at the swap and sell sale this weekend so I have to open them and look inside. As it is I have a few items that I am going to part with that I wanted to keep... until now. I can let them go. *credit*

I have been working on day 1 of my 4 day plan to map what I do in a 24hr day. I'm to record what time I eat, what I eat, how I feel, what's going on at the time. According to the book, I should see a natural eating pattern emerge when I compare the 4 days. I don't know if I really believe this but I am doing it anyway because I sure don't know everything and I am willing to try. *credit* for trying.

I also saw a job listed on the local library website and decided to apply for it. The deadline was today. It's part time and pays very well. It took me a whole day to get a cover letter written and to just look at my resume to rearrange it so it fits the job. *credit for seeing it through* If I manage t get an interview I'll have to disclose that I was awarded a month long residency out of town next February. that may or may not kill my chance to get this job. I'll have to tell the truth anyway as I will be at that residency doing my project. DH supports me on this so I can say what I need to say if I have to. *credit for my supportive DH* Anyway, this job would pretty much solve my money woes and go a long way to solving ours. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks for reading coaches.

va1erie
I'm sending you strength to get through this trying time. Please take care of yourself as you support your daughter and her boyfriend.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #141  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We're traveling as I speak...DH finished his dental appt. early and I was ready to transition so I could wake up tomorrow morning and focus on taking mom to her appointment without having already driven for two hours.
Credits:
~took a 10 mile bike ride while DH got drilled.(I'm up to 619 m. already!)
~brought my Beck book and related stuff, even though we're only away for 3 days

Not so good:
~didn't have my lunch. I wasn't and am still not hungry but I need to be vigilant and remember this when dinner time arrives.

Val(va1erie), , ...sending supportive thoughts! Credit for remembering your own needs while being there for others.

BillBlueEyes, credit for acknowledging that a certain free sample COULD be OK. (PS I don't ride up and down many hills)

onebyone, credit for willingness to purge stuff, work on your Day 1 of your plan and to apply for a job. Best wishes on all!

Beverlyjoy,credit for reading the part of the Beck book and for identifying those areas which need more work.

Pam(atga), hope you're feeling better soon! Credit for thinking about exercise even though your sick.

missyj, great news on your weigh in and credit for not overdoing a treat after weighing.

Erika(eusebius), credit for sinning with some uncomfortable feelings and pulling off a healhy day.

Lovely, credit for planning your meals, even though you didn't feel they were perfect. Yes, doing it makes it get easier!

MaryContrary, I loved your lessons from a dog. Yes, we can choose an easier path whilst amidst a difficult one. Credit.

maryann,credit for reminding yourself of your actions that DO count as you struggled with anxiety.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello Everyone,

Back after missing a couple of days. My Sunday kind of went down hill after I posted as I was really tired and found myself snacking mindlessly from cracker boxes. Guess the only upside was there were only a few crackers left in the two I ate. Probably stayed close to my calories for the day but did not add them up.

Yesterday was better on plan for food, read ARC, weighed, did not get any planned exercise but did wear my pedometer to track my steps. Today again pretty okay with food. I am very busy at work right now and my one colleague is away in Italy for 3 weeks so I have the work for both of us. Woke up feeling dizzy and it's still lingering. After a very rough day at work I picked up DH and told him I had no energy to even think about making dinner. He's wanted pizza from a favourite restaurant for awhile now so I suggested we stop there on the way home. I think I made a pretty good choice with a cobb salad and garlic toast. I brought 1/2 home for my lunch tomorrow. Again no exercise today but I keep feeling like I'm tipping over so maybe trying to keep myself upright will have to count for today!

Hope everyone is OP and things are going well. I'll try to get back tomorrow for personals. va1erie I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you strength to get through it.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #143  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Still feeling loopy from allergy malaise. But I'm sticking to my food plan. NO CHOICE is quite effective when I don't have the energy to argue with myself.

WI: -0.1kgs, Exercise: +0 400/1300 minutes for September, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: a carrot and hummus is a great FREE treat!

Lovely: you said "Plus, if I keep at it, it'll get easier and easier over time. (I'm hoping.)" -- That's exactly what happened for me!

Hugs for va1erie and your family. This sounds like a really tough time.

eusebius: I hope your first day of classes went well--that does sound like a very challenging day.

missyj: great to see you back on track!

pamatga: sending healing energies your way!

Beverlyjoy: I went through a strange phase of eating too little and not immediately being able to figure out how to fix it. Such a foreign concept! I think it helped to look at other people's food diaries at 3FC to kind of get my head around what light, but not too light, eating looked like.

onebyone: yay for all of those credits and for moving forward on all kinds of things.

Lexxiss: great job recognizing when the right time for transition was for you

Tazzy: my symptoms are similar. Do you have ragweed in Alberta? One of my fantasies has been to move north to avoid my two worst allergens -- mold and ragweed.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #144  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Took a walk to the hardware store to buy a 3 inch clamp to attach a vent in my attic, CREDIT moi. Then, to the benefit of my exercise needs, I retraced my steps to exchange them for the 4 inch clamps that I needed. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no diversions for additional snacks.

I get to tick my monthly counter today to the six year mark on my journey. I'd have never predicted such a long duration. Hats off to the strategies of Dr. Beck.

onebyone - Keeping my fingers crossed for that library job. Kudos for meeting the deadline with your application.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "I don't have the energy to argue with myself" but hoping that you get your energy back.

Erika (eusebius) - Ouch for needing to figure out how to eat while teaching. I'd have to give up my raw carrots since they are a bit noisy, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – I like the goal of "a sane relationship with food." Good luck getting back to your comfort zone.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Congrats on another 19 miles.

Pam (pamatga) – Ouch for an early season cold. [Yep, no doubt my need for nuts comes from the squirrely side of my family, LOL. It is interesting that my stash of nuts isn't a problem for me; they are measured out per my plan each day. It's my DW's jar of trail mix that calls to me off plan.]

missyj - Kudos for "Day 7 of 30 On Plan" - may those continue. And congrats on those 3 pounds gone.

Tazzy - LOL that maintaining vertical is exercise of the day. Ouch for the snack attack, with Kudos for reporting it so you can figure out what to do differently so it's less likely to happen again.

Lovely – Seems like the right attitude to know that you can adjust your written food plan day-by-day as needed. Kudos for making the effort to produce it.

Val (va1erie) - Continue to send supportive thoughts through real stress.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 5 Get Moving

Exercise is important in losing weight and keeping it off for these reasons:
. . .
It helps you sleep better. Brazilian researchers determined that physically active seniors slept better and longer than their sedentary counterparts, possibly by helping to regulate body temperature.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 70.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #145  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Hi Coaches/Buddies -
Ouch - last night was not good. But today is a new day and I am turning it all over to my higher power today. There is so much to do, but I can only do one thing at a time and I have to trust that I'll know what the right thing to do is in each moment. Perhaps easier said than done. We had a great speaker at meditation sitting last night who really showed how we can tap into a larger, vaster perspective on our problems and fears. Really inspiring.

missyj - congrats on 3 pounds and getting past the chips!!
pamatga - sorry about your cold - hope you are feeling better today.
Beverlyjoy - wtg on a healthy day. I don't think what you're saying is crazy at all - rather, very insightful! Guilt is so frequently associated with our food choices. I relate big time!
onebyone - kudos for the many, many constructive and healthy things you are doing with your unpacking and with the 4 Day Win. Fingers crossed for the library job - it sounds perfect.
Debbie (lexxiss) - I am always impressed by how well you handle all the crazy stuff life throws at you! You're an inspiration.
Tazzy - I relate to the mindless snacking and to feeling incredibly busy. to you.
gardenerjoy - hope the allergy woes clear up soon. Great reminder about the power of NO CHOICE.
BillBE- I love how you can turn a pain in the derriere -- like needing 4 inch clamps instead of 3 inch clamps -- into a positive. And hats off to you for six successful years!

Better finish up my smoothie and plunge into another busy day. First rehearsal for the ladies' choir this morning, then a concert at a seniors' residence in Scarborough (northeast Toronto). Wishing everyone an OP Wednesday...
Erika
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #146  
Made of Starstuff

Happy Wednesday!

Felt a little off the last couple of days, and sort of weak, but I got plenty of sleep and rest, and I woke up nice and early-ish today. I'm off to a good start.

Still just coasting along and focusing on the lessons I've learned so far. I'm glad that I'm not pressuring myself to move onto any new days just yet. I'll get there, but right now I'm happy to just be building the healthy habits up through planning out meals.

BillBlueEyes - Congratulations on that 6 year mark! Wow!

va1erie - My thoughts are with you and those around you today.

Be well, everyone! Have a great middle of the week!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #147  
Simply Filling Technique

Unhappy

BILL on your 6 year anniversary!! Do you feel that at some point you can say you will never have to battle the weight issue or is that unrealistic to think that could be possible?? Do you connect with the maintainer group that meets here on 3FC?? I recall following quite a few different ones here who lost the weight a few years ago when I first joined and, from what I know, are still keeping it off.

Wistfully, I wish it had been me but several months after I joined here my Mom got sick with cancer and that pulled me away from home here back to being there physically for 3 1/2 months. Then, I was depressed for a chunk of 2009 only to get laid off and finally when I decided to get back on my weight lose journey it was already the summer of 2010. I just hope my life can stay "uneventful" long enough for me to finish this work I started. I am crossing my fingers. With all of these Beck skills, I should feel "confident" that I could lose weight through just about anything but sitting here sick right now, with my mind in a fog, it is hard to imagine at this moment.

Well, I am "listening" to my body and having mostly carbs the past couple of days but then we all know what that means----- temporary bloat like a blowfish!! Still, I sense my body is happy. It feels happy like if my belly button could talk it would say, "yum, me like!" So, pb on whole wheat English muffins, pecans, banana, raisins (I just didn't assemble them, Bill, I ate them separately---I keep forgetting) and an apple are my fare right now. Shredded wheat is calling my name right now. Then, bed with clean fresh smelling linens. My indulgence when I am sick.

beverlyjoy I could never imagine me eating under 1000 calories unless I was puking my guts up. [The snack above I just mentioned was over 1000 calories.] How can you under eat like that and not miss the pleasure of delicious food??? Aren't you worried that you will put your body into survival mode and stall your weight lose? I hope you aren't swinging the other way and becoming anorexic. If you are, let us know. I'll make sure I air delivery you my whole wheat bean muffins along with my whole wheat pizza with a side of fresh fruit to jump start your appetite.

onebyone Great Job in the decluttering!! One word about the potential job interview. Don't mention about the month long residency until after you get the job. I have a friend who tells prospective employers all of her personal vacation plans during the interview (and she gets lots of them too!) and I can tell you: it is an instant job denial every time. I think it is her way of sabotaging getting a job she didn't really want anyway. You just never know. They might actually keep you on and allow you to go in spite of the month long absence, especially if they really like you. Never underestimate the attraction of growing on people. You have a way of doing that you know. I'll pray that you get it. Lord knows(and we do too!), you could use it.

eusebius Yes, it is all about handing everything over to HP. I just wish someone would have told me that out of the gate like 40 years ago. The things that I could have passed on and should have too. OY! So, many things would have been done differently. I am usually clueless about what is in my best interest until I have screwed up several times. Sounds like your life is getting more stressful which is why it is so encouraging to hear that the meditation is going so well. Plug in to the Source and just go with it like a good wave (Superchick I'm thinking of you!)

Tazz, missy, gardener, lovely et al I would stay and chat but I am just so tired from this influenza. So, on the biking, sorry about the allergies and good job in cracking the books!! I am hoping this won't bench me for this coming weekend's plans (lots). "Oh well". In the meantime, have a great day for those who can and for those under the weather----this too shall pass (hopefully without too much gained from it....darn carbs anyway)

Pam
Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters/coaches/friends - yesterday was a healthy day. I am always grateful for that. I did accomplish many of my Beck tasks to some portion:

Eat seated - yes
No seconds - yes
Left a bite - yes
Arc/rc - some
Beck - no
Fork down between bites - some of the time
No choice/red light - YES
Plan/measure/log/track - yes
Exercise - stretches and strengthening
Sodium - yes 1550 mg
TASTE/mindful - more than usual

The scale has been down for several days. So I am down another pound since last Wednesday. That take me to 219. I reached my mini goal and now have changed that to it 214. In fact - I’ve lost 11 pounds in the past five weeks. I am so grateful. I think my daily meditations and guided imagery has helped me.

After my afternoon snack (watermelon along with cheese on rice cake) I really wanted more.. Wanting something chocolaty - but, I used my resistance techniques and the craving went away. Yay… credit.

Pamatga - I hope you feel better soon. Having the flu make ya feel just like yuk. I think sometimes we just need to eat what feels right to get better. I surely appreciate your concern. However, there is no way I am anorexic. I think my low calories are coming from me trying to keep my sodium around 1500. (I am pre-hypertensive) I am learning to plan around that. According to Spark people - taking into account my daily movement/exercise - my calorie range is 1250 - 1500 daily. Even on the days recently when, at the end of the day, my calories were about 1000 calories, I still ate another few hundred before bed to keep it at a healthy number.

Lovely - hop right back on your plan. Being off a few days can happen. Carry on with your plan and Beck stuff. Take as long as you need on each day before moving on.

Erika - oops about last night. Forgive yourself. Your outlook is perfect - take it a meal/day/moment at a time. Plan, plan and plan some more. I would have loved to be with you at the meditation sitting last night - sounds good.

Gardener/joy - sorry you are still feeling crummy with allergy stuff. You said: NO CHOICE is quite effective when I don't have the energy to argue with myself. That’s one senerio I’ve not heard before! Credit for food being 100% on plan and reading your response cards.

t-azzy - credit - you were able to put the Sunday extra food aside and move back to your better choices! Credit for choosing the salad and bread… plus saving half for another meal!!

Lexxiss/Debbie - wonderful credit to bring your Beck Book, etc along with getting in your bike ride in the midst of being so busy with DH and DM. Carry on.

Onebyone - good luck on the library job - I hope it can work out the way you want. Credit for getting all that stuff in boxes and bags moved around. Let us know the results on your exercise on feeling natural hunger.

Billbe - credits galore! It’s wonderful you got in that walking exercise and no major food issues. Nice. Congrats on another month of living with the Beck principles. Thank you for hosting this forum, too.

Missyj - Happy dance to you in honor of that wonderful weight loss!!
I can totally relate to extra treats after a weigh in day. That is how I lived my life for years. I am just now being able to weigh more often during the week and not giving myself permission to eat extra those days. I made a response card about it saying: It’s not OK to overeat on days I weigh. Sabatoging thought: It won’t matter. I have a week to make up for it. Response: Actually it does matter - because I am only kidding myself.

Have a great day, friends.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #149  
Green Tomatoes

I'm realizing that, to some extent, I have a choice whether I experience hunger as scary emptiness or airy lightness. Naturally, I want to fill scary emptiness. Just as naturally, I want to feel airy lightness. So, I tolerate hunger much longer if I experience it as airy lightness.

We're going to a reception and dinner tonight. I had a light lunch, so my normal party strategy of focusing on the veggies and taking tiny servings of other items should work fine.

WI: -0.15kgs, Exercise: +0 400/1300 minutes for September, Food: ?%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: good job reframing what must have been a frustrating parts experience to exercise. Congrats on 6 years! That's a really awesome achievement!

eusebius: hope today went better for you. You could turn this around: "trust that I'll know what the right thing to do is in each moment" and trust that what you do in each moment is the right thing to be doing. If you end the day still breathing, it probably was.

Lovely: taking a breather at the planning out meals point sounds like a great approach!

pamatga: hope you're feeling better soon!

Beverlyjoy
: so glad you're seeing results on the scale after putting together a string of successful days.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #150  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It was a good Beck day. I made a plan, stuck to it and remembered to bring my green book to the Dr. office for my mom's appt. I even got to use my resistance skills when they brought a big basket of full sized candy bars after her procedure. I just reminded myself we were going to Whole Foods for a nutritious and yummy lunch. I was especially glad to get some reading in today. Yay! I think I'll read some more before bed.

Oh, and exercise was an early morning hike up a pretty steep trail behind the Forest Service. It was gratifying. We hadn't hiked there for years, because we ended up with a dog who couldn't do this trail. When we started up this morning I remembered I had not done this since I'd lost all my weight. This was a trail I would make myself go up...usually stopping 6-8 times on the way up. But I would go because I was determined to exercise and lose weight. Today, I went right up with only 1 stop.credit for all.

Carry on...hope I'll have a little more time tomorrow.
Closed Thread