Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #196  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday at home

Hi Coaches

*credits for tracking, weighing in (-2.0 = 280lbs), planning food, drinking water, eating slowly

After my good day yesterday I decided to stay home today to take care of other tasks and to sort through some art materials. I've spent most of the day on the phone so I'm getting to my tasks late. Oh well.

Not much more to say today. It's just a good day.

pamatga Congrats to being back! I'm a DTWS fan too. I missed the premiere last night but will catch it online. Love that silly show. Love seeing everyone shake their money-maker.

va1erie Credit for all your credits!

BillBlueEyes I thought of you during the course of our evening at the Fine Dining Establishment, imagining that you would know your way around a fancy place like that as you often note your dinner challenges to our friendly helpful supportive Beck group. I noticed how as the portion sizes drop, the prices go up. I also noticed that there was not enough food plated to end up in a styrofoam container. Indeed styrofoam probably is not allowed in the starchy linen-covered premises! The food was EXCELLENT btw. I had an assortment of fish and seafood. The largest piece was the lone pan-seared scallop and the fingerling potato-sized salmon. I *think * I fell in love with grouper.

Lexxiss Wow. 10 plum trees is a great score! Bonus Credit for combining it with spontaneous exercise; talk about your win win

maryann So envious of your visit to the Picasso exhibit. Did they show any of his ceramic work?? What was your favorite piece of the show and why--in 10 words or less haha!! Credit for planning your dinner out tonight! Enjoy.

Tazzy Sometimes life just creeps up on us and all of a sudden we are worn out. I know how that is. GREAT JOB with all the exercise *mucho creditos* for that!

Bye to everyone...enjoy your Tuesday.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

OP yesterday. Dinner was enchiladas with polenta. DH picked up some orange flesh melons fresh from the field and we all arm wrestled for it over dinner. It was to die for. At work late this pm for grading then dinner out. Tired so no exercise afterwards. I feel like I have lived a whole life in one day today. Thinking about a student I have who was telling me there are 8 of them in a two bedroom apartment including twin 6 mos old babies. Mom just got out of prison. He is a top grade in my class. Kind of puts your life in perspective.
Va1erie: maintenance is as much work as losing. I fluctuate the same.
BBE: We have a ton of Indian restaurants here but i am way to wimpy for spice. We have friend who make somozas especially for us - bland.
lexxiss: I love picking the fruit - We've been living off pears from our one tree.
onebyone:Well, It might be cliche but I really liked the Portrait of Dora Mar - or any of the ones from that period. Woman weeping was also fabulous. The colors are striking. yes there were sculptures- no Guernica but some of that period.
pamatga: Good Job for getting back on the treadmill. I know that is has been a rough period.

Last edited by maryann; 09-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

Back at it today with better focus and stayed OP. I did weigh this morning (up again - those darn rosebuds!) and read my cards. After a healthy small dinner I felt like I needed to do some exercise so I changed my clothes and grabbed the bike and headed out. I forget how quickly it cools off here in the evenings now. Should have had long sleeves and maybe some gloves too. But I must take advantage of being able to go out on my bike because soon enough I'm sure the snow will fly or it will be dark by time I get home from work.

I looked back at my diet notebook and I was having a lot more success when I was getting some exercise everyday. Once my co-worker is back from vacation I'm going to plan to get out of the office for at least a 15 minute walk at some time during the work day. Small steps will make it a routine.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Last edited by Tazzy; 09-20-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #199  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Not my best eating day, but there were some extenuating circumstances that I will remedy tomorrow. Mostly that means that I will get some vegetables in the house! I exercised for the second day in a row, so credit for that!

WI: -0.15kgs, Exercise: +30 475/1300 minutes for September, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #200  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi. The odd gathering of leftovers for dinner included the naan - which I had a few bites of and left on my plate. Reheated naan tastes like Wonder Bread - UGH!

onebyone - Can't do better than, "It's just a good day." [You won big with an expensive restaurant with "EXCELLENT" food. I've noticed that inverse relationship with cost and serving size; I like it.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for two days back into the exercise routine.

maryann - Drooling over your " orange flesh melons fresh from the field."

Pam (pamatga) – Love those Gala Apples - the season is upon us for good apples. Kudos for pedometer measured walking.

Tazzy - Yay for a quick bike ride; LOL at how easy it is to deny that it's getting chilly in the evenings.

Val (va1erie) - Yay for lots of spontaneous exercise. [Yep, you're responsible for the naan I consumed, LOL.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 5 Get Moving

tip: Be careful - don't fool yourself. Some dieters believe they are getting quite a lot of exercise when they shop at a mall or go to a fair because they get tired. Being tired doesn't always mean that you got good exercise. And a 20-minute walk with your dog, who stops at every bush, doesn't give you the same workout as walking fast the whole time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 70.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #201  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Food and exercise were both OP, with a legitimate change for dinner. *credit* We have travelled already this morning, and I'm remembering that some travel days result in unplanned eating. Keeping that in mind, I shopped yesterday and have lunch and dinner in the frig. A busy day here..exercise will be moving mucho furniture.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #202  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

Report: read my cards, weighed (down 2.8, I'm starting to wonder about this scale which is less than a year old), ate slowly and mindfully, did not have a wine-induced snackfest, got minimal exercise, contacted my diet buddy.

pamatga -- we seem to be having an Indian-themed week!

onebyone -- the portion size decreases as the price increases because rich people don't want to get fat.

maryann -- I think maintenance is even more work than losing! When I'm actively losing I have this "goal" to help keep me motivated. When I'm maintaining it all feels more like just pure plain discipline. My goal is not to change. It feels somehow more endless, though of course anyone who wants to lose and keep it off has to figure out that it was always going to be endless.

Tazzy -- Yay, you for recognizing that you see a correlation between exercise and success!

gardenerjoy -- Yay for two days of exercise in a row!

BBE -- Yeah, naan doesn't really reheat well. Makes it easier to resist!

Lexxiss -- Yay, you, for planning ahead for travel!

Last edited by va1erie; 09-21-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #203  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD everyone!

Becksters: I made us fish last night as well. I breaded it, "Old Bayed" it and sauteed it. I only had one large fillet so I wanted to "stretch" it for both of us. I also had Thai jasmine rice with a dab of butter, (my all-time fav!), steamed broccoli spears and fresh ripe tomatoes from my garden. It all looked so pretty on my plate. I was hungry an hour later but only had one of those delicious apples for my evening snack! I had to repeat "hunger is not an emergency" quite a few times after 11 p.m. but tucked myself in at 1 a.m.

Bill How close are you to having the old homestead finished and no more workers, home-work or anything that looks like "aforementioned work"??
Who's the cook in your family?

onebyone - It sounds like you had a really wonderful time. I am so glad you were able to get out with your honey.

gardenerjoy – Credit for your diligence and consistent efforts.

maryann - Don't you just love fresh anything! I had such wonderful melons this past summer and when I heard about CO's Jensen Farms, I thought, TG, I had my own.

Tazzy - Well, chilly here means dropping below 75 degrees, which it has been. I now want warmer weather so my fall garden will really "take off". I never thought I would be crossing my fingers for 80+ temps but I am.

va1erie - Your "spontaneous movement" is Beck-endorsed. WTG!

Some of you asked the other day about hearing more about my Buddy Challenge I am working on for next month. I don't know how familiar any of you are with the t.v. program "The Biggest Loser" but, in a nutshell, it takes morbidly obese people and, through a very strenuous physical "boot camp" regimen, they "transform" these people into athletes; many of whom go on to compete in marathons, triathlons, become fitness trainers, etc.

I have decided though to make my "Challenge" one about incorporating "Spontaneous Movement" into our lives besides doing the "other stuff" like going to a class, yoga, biking, weight lifting, etc. In the past month, I have been both seeing on the news and doing some reading regarding the place of exercise in our daily lives. It sounds like the new theories emphasize that even if you exercise one hour a day but are sedentary (as in return to your office desk and sit the rest of the day), you are still at risk for having a heart attack, including normal weight and normal cholesterol people. Yes, depressing, I know.

In fact, some of the weight lose sites have already jumped on the bandwagon and when you now calculate your level of activity (so they can determine your basal metabolism and subsequent calories you would optimally burn) they are "dropping" you down one level of activity (say from moderate to light) depending on how frequently you are active.

Whether you subscribe to this latest "theories" or not. I do know that one of the "secrets" to keeping the weight off (once lost) is to remain active. How active, of course, depends on your metabolism, your preferences, lifestyle, etc. The more active you can be the easier it will be to maintain weight lose, which is what we all want, right?

So, based on that new information, I have been working on creating a Challenge where we move more often throughout the day by creating some fun and creative ways of "doing so". I am not sure if I have shared with some of you some of the ways I have been doing this but, for example, doing some stretches, walking or marches during the commercials while watching t.v. For every 75 minutes spent at my computer, I make myself do something "physical" for 15 minutes before I return to sit down here.

With the fall sports season now upon us, I have also decided to make sports teams with "home sports"; ie, football, basketball, swimming, golf, sprinting, to name a few. All with the idea of getting up and moving. I also think that our natural tendency is to want to "cuddle and huddle" as the days get shorter and winter comes. I am hoping to buck that natural tendency and keep movin'.

A lot of you are younger than me (I'm 58) but in this other group on BLC I am one of the youngest! So, I am "challengeing" them to get more movement back into their daily lives. I have been working on devising some games(competition can be healthy and fun) along with some cash prizes at the end.

Word from the "wise": I can tell you that with age comes the tendency to want to "sit and not be fit". It starts at age 50 just to forewarn all of you. I have watched my husband, Paul, gain 35 lbs in a matter of 18 months simply because he has spent more time in traffic than anywhere else. He did walk a 13.1K this past winter but he has slackened off to only walking 1-2x a week. He has not changed his diet or his food intake at all either. So, that shows you as we age, if we aren't active, even if we don't change how or what we eat, we will naturally gain weight. I know, it sucks!

Stats for 9/20:
***1839 calories 9 g fiber (what!)1707 mg sodium
***5000 steps(use pedometer for accuracy)
***walked 3-10 minute sessions on treadmill, varied speed from 1.6 -1.7 mph
***lower body strength exercises
***F/V:tomato (from garden), 2 c broccoli, o.j., 2 apples
***slept 9 hours
***planned, posted and logged food

Q:Someone told me today that they were told by "an expert" that you shouldn't do both aerobic and strength exercises in the same day. I do. What is your thoughts? Anyone?

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 09-21-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #204  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Stayed on plan with my eating, CREDIT moi, including a pot luck dinner where my only seconds was an amazing salad that included walnuts and raw corn.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for a planned dinner to fight the desire to overeat on a travel day.

Pam (pamatga) – I love the word "stretch" when used to make some food item serve more people. Am glad I was born hearing English - I'd hate to be learning it as a second language, LOL.

Val (va1erie) - Yep, sometimes there's a lot of jiggle in an excellent scale because it's real. And sometimes there's a lot of jiggle in a mediocre scale. I don't know how to tell the difference, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4

Andi had myriad sabotaging thoughts about exercise: I don't want to ... I'll do it later ... It's not worth doing ... It won't help ... I don't need to ... I'm too tired ... I'm not in the mood ... I'm too busy. Like most people, the hardest part for her was getting started, but once she got going, she was fine. After many misgivings, she finally signed up for a beginners exercise class in her community.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 71.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

On the verge of overwhelmingly busy. I am giving myself at least the morning off or I feel I will go over the edge. Maybe I'll go back to sleep. In DS's classroom this afternoon teaching art, then MFA writing at home. Dived off plan at Farmer's Market but no change in scale. I won't forget I got a "gimme". Back OP this morning.
Valerie: Those are some wild scale fluctuations for someone who weighs as little as you do!
BBE:Credit for reasonable second trip for the salad.
Lexxiss:Happy Travels.
Tazzy: It is so true about exercise and weight loss. I finally started tracking my exercise with a goal of an average of 30 mins a day. It doesn't seem like much but it is tough to get it all in.
Pamatga: I hear your warning about Fifty. That is really what started my whole journey two years ago. At 45 I realized that things would only get more difficult at 50, so I tried to lose weight and after a whole summer - NOTHING. I was scared. Now I feel I have a plan to take me into that decade. I will go into 50 (God Willing)with a BMI that is not overweight and that is very exciting to me.

Last edited by maryann; 09-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #206  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD Beck Buddies!

Yesterday was everything I wanted it to be and more. I just wish I could keep up that kind of pace all the way down the scale but I doubt whether I could humanly do it everyday so I will just sit here like the (fat) cat that had two mice for the taste of one. I thought I would put my "SM" plan into action so I decided to do a "test drive". Once I got started I had a hard time pulling myself away from the many "unfinished projects" around here. Needless to say I worked steadily but only taking two breaks (one snack and the other dinner) during an 8 hour stretch of constant movement.

I also knew that DH was bringing me take-out from one of our "favorite" local Atlanta "diners" (not greasy kind-just southern style food) so I saved up my calories, pre-planning, so I could enjoy both the (high)calories/sodium. I had to sit with a lot of hunger but every time I was tempted I just resumed the fall cleaning that I was doing and I forgot about my empty stomach.

I just felt like I was embracing everything with such willingness and open arms in the BDS book!! It wasn't just "I can do this", it was also "I am doing this". Plan into action!!

Valerie: Well, I bought a new digital scale last winter after getting tired of not really knowing what the scales were saying. Still, even though this is new (and it was expensive), it does sometimes show numbers that I think,"hey, now wait a minute". However, I was told I don't need to change the batteries for two years. I am not so sure about that though. If you weigh every day, which I do, doesn't that use up the batteries faster??

BBE: As always, walking the walk. Great Job on portion control. yes, salads can be worse offenders than "za" if the "wrong stuff" ends up on them.

Lexxiss:Enjoy the views.

Tazzy: Double ditto about exercise and weight loss. I am just grateful that I really do love to "go for the burn" because I hate to diet. I just plain hate to! I would rather work out like a "steam engine" two hours a day than be confined to eating cottage cheese with a peach slice on lettuce. Getting it in isn't as hard as you think if you are willing to forego something else for the time being.

Not to brag, but I used to get up at 5 a.m., carry my gym bag on public transit, work out for an hour, shower, get back on another metro bus to a downtown law office and be there by 9 a.m. I did that 5x a week for years. I was in my early 40s. I will admit that one thing that fueled it was I was going through a very heavy emotional time and I was turning to working out to work off some of those intense feelings but I still did it. Fast forward, almost 20 years and I am hoping I can find that kind of drive so I can "blast this fat off!!" Do it if you can. You will not be sorry.

maryann
Well, I am very glad that you saw the horizon and knew how you wanted to meet up with it. I can tell you that if it were not for my intense drive I would have given up quite a while ago. It does not get easier doing all of this. In fact, it gets harder. I am working against gravity, slowing metabolism and aging. My outside goal is to be my goal weight by age 60.

I don't know if you saw Kirstie Alley on t.v. recently but she got down to a size 4 and she just turned 60. I think she said her highest weight was 238 lbs so she looks like she has lost 70+ lbs. She credits DWTS with really getting her started on working out.

Well, I want to "show" (to whom I don't know) that age 60 doesn't mean "cropped gray hair, saggy anything and sweat pants with cute kittens on the front". Hey, at one time, I saw that down the pike and I knew I wasn't about to go there. I don't want (act or pretend to be) "30 again"( been there, done that) but I do want to be healthy and fit from here on out.

I applaud your sensibilities to do this now!! I really do!

Lexxiss - GJ! Yes, I have been using that same strategy lately (planned meals) with really good results. I am now more exposed to the temptations of the odd bakery thing at some of these social functions but so far as long as I have eaten a really balanced meal prior to that "said exposure" I am just fine. Who knew???

Stats for 9/21:
**1921 calories 19 grams fiber 2875 mg sodium
**worked continually on fall cleaning for 8 hours
**still got 1-10 minute session on the treadmill (it was getting quite late)
***4000 steps (used pedometer for accuracy)
**upper body strength exercises w 5 lbs bar bells.
***F/V-mixed vegetables (corn, green beans), cooked carrots, whole apple, lite cranberry juice, NS orange juice
***9 1/2 hours sleep--like a rock! I was beat!

P.S. As time draws closer to my "SM" challenge I am seeing some fence sitting with some of the people. Again, I am the youngest of this group and their mental resistance is very strong. Do all of this while you are younger. Case in point.

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 09-22-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends... the last couple of days have been kind of crazy (some things with my mom) - sorry to be MIA. I haven't stayed well on my plan. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get this food stuff under control. But - I just need to keep trying - because, just maybe, the next time will be THE time it takes.

As always, thanks to you all for being my WL friends - along with your constant support and holders of wisdom. Have a great day.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #208  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A very busy and physical day here! We hauled lots of stuff; everything from old asphalt shingles, rugs, rotting wood....you name it we hauled it. Food was not an issue, we didn't stop for lunch. I had to run an errand in Denver and thought I'd get a bite at Whole Foods then was needed on the project again. Instead, I purchased a healthy dinner at WF to serve at home. I had sane portions and my only disgression was 2 dinner rolls. *credit* I thought alot about my relationship with food today, and especially how much I have learned about myself since starting BDS. I have made progress.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #209  
Made of Starstuff

Evening everyone!

Wishing everyone a HAPPY AUTUMN! Tomorrow's the Autumnal Equinox ^_^ The weather's been nice and cool, and that always makes me feel good.

I was sitting here tonight with my ARCs really reading them and visualizing where I want to be by the time April rolls around next year. Thinking about resisting all the holiday temptations along the way. (Okay, except maybe for a slice of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving... and cookies on Christmas Eve. Those I'm willing to accept.)

This week wasn't as good with planning as was last week. But, I'm not giving up! I will find a way to make this work for me. In the meantime, I've been keeping all my advantages in mind, and trying to pay attention to my hunger levels. As well as getting in exercise. It's been good!

Be well everyone!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #210  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up T G I F - Autumnal Equinox

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was hanging a new light fixture and had to take a break because there were two things that didn't make sense, seemed backwards - just didn't see how it would work. Then it struck me, two things were made backwards to work together; just proceeded to put them together, LOL. Food was good with a veggie burger at a restaurant for lunch with some friends, CREDIT moi.

Beverlyjoy – Yep, as always, "just need to keep trying."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for all that hauling - you're gonna be one strong person when you get finished.

maryann - Yay for giving yourself writing time even when on the verge.

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for nearly 8 hours of constant movement.

Lovely – Neat idea to visualize yourself next Spring. Kudos for "keeping all my advantages in mind."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4

When she got back from the first class, she made the following card for her Memory Box (page 36):
Memory Card
I can't believe I was so resistant to sign up for exercise
class. It wasn't hard! There were plenty of other people
my age there who were just as out of shape as I am.
I'm actually so proud I made myself go. I really do feel
so much more energized. I'm so glad I did it!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg. 71.
Closed Thread