Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #211  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches! It's been a good Beck day. Credits include reading from my Beck book, following my plan, staying within my calorie range, exercising and resisting unplanned food. I cooked some fava beans for the first time. I just had to see how big they got. Now I have to find some good recipes because I bought 25# of them.

BillBlueEyes, great response at the car center! Those are powerful moments when you recognize that the brain is convincing you that bad food is valid emotional compensation for certain justifiable events....and having a sane response. I had one of those moments just the other day. Major kudos for choosing an apple instead.

Kris (grayhenry), to the Beck forum! I've been here a year and I feel like I'm slowly learning good habits which will help me keep my weight off.

AnneWonders, glad you found your working Beck skills and that it felt good! Getting started is the hardest. *credit*

Beverlyjoy, yay for soaping DH's candy...You are quite in line if he can't be discrete. My DH has a certain spot for things that I stay out of but when it starts hanging out on the counter, it disappears.

MaryContrary, thanks for checking in with a powerful post. I was especially impressed that on your really bad day your "response" was to make response cards. I firmly believe that when we are working on self worth and self esteem that we are working on food skills in a roundabout way. ...thinking they're all connected.

ChefJoona, *credit* for 3 days in a row with 30DS! Kudos to following your Beck plan as your twin noticed!

pamatga, thanks for your kind words to my hospital dog! I am sorry you are dealing with the loss of your friend. It sounds like you've all had a rough go. *credit* for eating all your meals within your calorie range. That's a big step of progress.

gardenerjoy, when I signed off last night I read ch. 3 and 4….realized I hadn't given myself a single credit in my post. I'm working on it, too.

chinakat, *credit* for downloading an app for your cards and setting an alarm. I have my physical cards near my computer.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-19-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #212  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Three, that's three (3), count 'em, three, on plan days. I am eight pounds down. Yes, eight. I am CRANKY.

I'd rather be cranky than fat. <== Candidate for my next RC. What'da y'all think?

Grrrr.....

Anne
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 'Lo and good bye, Beckmates

Quick check in and notice to Beckmates that I am off on a lark. Bad timing work-wise, but, oh,well... nature calls. Will check back in on Tues. next.

Missed my ice-out bet by a mile. The bay froze over again..am thinking now anytime before May 1 will be appreciated. Given all that, I have many, many different varieties of perennials up and at 'em..weird year.

Anne, love, love, love, "I'd rather be cranky than fat"..love it...am also loving this season of Survivor..are you with us, Lexxiss??? I wish we could find that "sweet spot" ..being in the zone....doing what we did so passionately to lose the wt. in the first place....do we need MORE pain from the GAIN???

Best to all dear Beckmates..you know who you are!!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #214  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Kris (grayhenry)

Kris (grayhenry)

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined six years ago,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this thread of 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #215  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was on plan eating, CREDIT moi, except for samples at both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I lost my way when I saw that Trader Joe's was giving out samples of spiral ham, and I'm on the hook to buy our Easter ham. Ouch, for the diversion, a mental loss even if the calories were small. Lunch was the chili that I made on Sunday; CREDIT moi for, at last, cooking up a batch of something for my lunches. Just wait your turn, you little cans of sardines sitting on my book shelf at the office.

Walking (CREDIT moi) in the attempting Spring continues to be a joy. Saw a yard with oodles of small blue flowers as their front yard - just stunning.

maryblu - hmmmm . . . perennials up before ice out seems weird from here, but whatever works in a land where folks go ice fishing by choice. Can't wait to hear about your "lark."

Anne (AnneWonders) - LOL at "I'd rather be cranky than fat." Congrats on those 8 pounds down.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "actually taking action on the things I'm learning" - when I first read Beck, I wanted to just read through it without doing any of that simplistic stuff since it was so obvious, LOL. Only recently have I begun to believe that Cognitive Therapy isn't just strategies, but it's actually making new pathways in our brains.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - 25#'s is a whole lot of dried fava beans - I like that kind of shopping. I love those guys, but my DW doesn't, so I have to get them at Italian restaurants.

ChefJoona - Sticking to your plan during a "food tour" is Kudos worthy to be sure.

pamatga - Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with the passing of your childhood friend. Kudos for 18 days in a row sticking to your plan.

chinakat - A flashcard app sounds neat - Kudos for being serious about reading your Advantages. I keep mine in an Excel spreadsheet; I used to read them daily in the morning, now it's more like once a week.

Kris (grayhenry) - Kudos for starting right in with the day 1 using 3x5 index cards. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 4
Get a Diet Buddy

At the very least, you need to communicate with your Diet Buddy daily - either through phone calls (you can leave voice-mail messages), faxes, or e-mails - to report your change in weight (you don't need to reveal your actual weight), as well as how well you completed each task in the program. Report all of this information first. If you didn't practice a Success Skill (or didn't do it completely), tell your Diet Buddy your plan for how you will do it the next day - and consistently every day after that. Or ask for help in figuring out what to do. Your buddy can help you distinguish between unavoidable problems (you unexpectedly had to take you child to the doctor and didn't have time to get to the supermarket) versus avoidable problems (you knew your day would be busy, but you didn't figure out ahead of time when you would buy food).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 36.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-20-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Really quick check in... On plan eating day yesterday, with some credit for a bit of free weights. Will most likely not be doing the 30 Day Shred again until tomorrow. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are difficult evenings.

I have been eating a lot of fruits and veggies these past several months, but I am making it a point now to eat at least 5 servings of them a day. I hit 6 yesterday with ease.

Welcome GrayHenry! I have am going into my 4th month on the forum and it has been a wonderful experience- it holds me accountable, gives me ideas, and the community of acceptance, support and non-judgment is amazing!

Woke up to a thunderstorm this morning! At first I thought it was a snow plow outside our house. Wet rainy day... yuck! BillBE I will think of the blue flowers you mentioned to brighten this dreary day!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #217  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Again I am behind and don't really have time for personals but I have been reading the posts and staying on plan. Yesterday was brutal work-wise and I was out of the house from 8 AM to 9:30 PM. Nevertheless, I made good food choices. Trying to act non-compulsively around work as well as eating ... for example, I know today I need to take it easier than normal, even though there is a lot of work I could be doing.

I've been doing Beck tasks daily and have made it to Day 20. I guess I'm nearly halfway through now.

Welcome to Kris and chinakat! You will love it here.

Thanks for reading and being there for me, everyone.
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: planned rest day but lots of spontaneous
Yoga: no (did do it on Monday)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #218  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up hello

Hi Coaches

Well we are getting details sewn up for our trip to Florida. I found a cat sitter for Caesar since I don't have any local friends yet. I feel comfortable with her. DH is naturally paranoid so is more ill at ease with a complete stranger in our house for 10 days but she is so obviously a at fanatic. Caesar will be in good hands I think. She promises to leave a diary of what Caeasr did while we were away. I think the word "sleep" will be in it alot.

Today it's removing the snowtires and getting my prescriptions renewed by going to the local walk in clinic, plus changing the registration of our car. Chores. Little chores. I still haven't started my proposal to the Key West Studios and I had thought I'd be done by now. It was last week I thought that so that doesn't matter as it is in front of me to do now. I want it to be close to complete as we leave for Key West this week. 3 days travel to Key West-3 days in Key West-1 day back to the mainland to see the shuttle launch-2 days home. Those two days home will be a lot of driving each day--but we like that. I already know now that the hardest part will be waving goodbye to the waving palm fronds.

Foodwise, it's been quite calm. I stuck to my no seconds rule at DH's mom's place on Sunday. She did send me home with tons of food and I took the carcass of her turkey for soup and then felt self-conscious about it. I took a lot of food home but no sweets-and everything is in the freezer or went into the composter as I planned. It was great to open up the ziplock bag and in it went. No harm, no foul as they say. I have been sticking to regular mealtimes, no seconds, and eating fruits and veggies but have fallen away from counting my calories/tracking. And my scale is wacky so I've not weighed myself in a few days, maybe even a week. I don't even know where the scale is right now truth be told I got so frustrated with it.

That's how things are here. It's rainy too today.

Wishing you all a good Wednesday.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #219  
Green Tomatoes

We had quite an evening with thunderstorms although most skirted around our exact location. There was less than a minute when it sounded like someone was throwing rocks on our roof--ping-pong ball sized hail, but not very much of it. We spent the evening watching the weather guy on the local news and jumping each time the weather radio blasted. The region had lots of hail and several tornadoes--lost a few homes but no lives.

Day 5: Eat Slowly and Mindfully
This is something I resist, but I can feel myself loosening up a little on it. I'm still not willing to give up the TV for the evening meal with DH because that's our habit. And, I'm not willing to give up my book (usually a diet book or a cookbook) with the rest of my meals. However, while I won't follow the letter of the law here, I am starting to feel some movement toward the spirit of it, taking moments to really appreciate food in the way one might appreciate a rose or a work of art.

Credit for feeling like I could cope with hunger in the late evening (due to an early supper). A few sips of water and the feeling disappeared. Yay for giving that a chance.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +0* 785/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

grayhenry: welcome!

chinakat: I learned the Excel thing from BillBlueEyes--I use a sheet in the same file where I record my weight. I have another handwritten copy in my Tickler file so that I run across it there -- usually once a day. The flashcard app sounds cool!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #220  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

BILL Last night I was reading an excerpt from Men's Health mag [which I gave my DH a subscription for his b-day last year] that there is a correlation between "Cinnabons" and men's spending habits. Researchers say that when men smell cinnamon rolls they think of sex and when they think of sex they spend more money! This is why Cinnabons is planted so deep in the malls, according to these researchers. Seems to me your car garage is on to this phenomena. You are a man of great self-control! Don't you hate these subliminal messages? Maybe, you should have gone straight home to your honey....

I did Day 4 [in the pink book] yesterday. I have been onto this giving credit to myself and making my husband break his self-berating habit for years. I will not allow him to put himself down in front of me. Obviously, I am not with him 24/7 so hopefully my "Stop That!" talk he will practice on his own. I have an e-stickie on my desktop and top of the list is "Give myself credit".

I give myself credit for conscious movement yesterday [in spite of the fact that my legs and hips were not responding to all the pain meds I was dumping into me the last 48 hours but finally this morning things seemed to settle down]. I want to have our home clean for the upcoming "holiday". That's just me.

I have not had any "sweets" since Sunday when I had one donut hole and a fortune cookie for dessert eaten at my favorite Chinese restaurant. I ate on OP otherwise and I even saw the manager smile as she saw what I took. She always says such nice things to me. I sense she knows I am trying hard in an environment that is loaded with food land mines.

I have had 19 days of fruits n vegetables 7-8 servings, lots of H2O, and working on Beck's pink book. I have many diet buddies, both in groups and individually, so I've got that step in place. Still I am moving through this day by day, no jumping ahead.

grayhenry. You will soon love all of us. We are such a loving group here. So ready to help each other. So good for each other.

Dr. Beck recommends that you read your Advantage of Losing Weight cards 2x a day-am/pm, by the way.

I spent a lot of time yesteday speaking with another woman who is Type II diabetic and dieting. I am so grateful that I caught my blood glucose issue early. After all of the heavy flows in the past 10 days (it's over) and speaking with some other wise women here on 3FC (thanks Diana who's over in the 100 lbs group here on 3FC)I also have one more reason to get this weight off. Extra fat creates extra estrogen and, well we know, that can cause all kinds of health problems.

My first Response Card was written with the sole purpose of breaking up my food over several meals, staying within my calorie range and logging my food everyday (the last is the easiest for me---the middle one is the most difficult).I looked ahead a few days and I know that creating a supportive environment is absolutely critical for success in losing and maintaining weight lose. I have told you all about me having a "clean kitchen". Obviously, that is only one piece of the puzzle.

The more I read this book again, the more psyched I am. I have a set goal: our 10th wedding anniversary which will be August 17th, 2012. I want to be 140 lbs by then. You heard it here first! I want to have my wedding dress sized down to wear for a renewal of our vows. We had a beautiful wedding but the one thing I felt I let my husband down was not being the size I wanted to be. He has never said he was disappointed but I was because I wanted it to be absolutely perfect down to the last detail. I spent a lot of money and effort for everything to be that way. It was except I was obese in a $1200 dress. No amount of money spent made up for the fact that I was a fat bride. I still have the beautiful photos throughout our home--the photographer was a genius with working around my weight--no they all weren't head shots---but my perfectionism dies hard. I want to return to those same "scenes"--the Victorian mansion, the robust flower beds in full bloom and, of course, our church to renew our vows. Then, off to the honeymoon we didn't get to have because I was sick back then!

It is my gift to myself and to my sweetheart.

Now, to get down to brass tacks.

Have a good day.

Last edited by pamatga; 04-20-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 150/149/135

Hi gang. Day 3 here for me. I've got my flashcard app on my iPhone (and let's face it, I don't go ANYWHERE without my iPhone so it's the perfect place to keep my cards).

I've selected my diet plan. It's not really any one plan, it's all the wisdom I've gained from years of dabbling in all of them. Basically, I eat whole foods as much as possible. I log everything, and I limit my calories and my carbs (especially refined ones). Five small meals a day. I know this works for me, as long as I follow it I will lose weight consistently.

Eating sitting down is the focus for today. If you'd asked me, I would have said I eat sitting down 99% of the time -- I hate eating standing up. But after reading BDS, I started thinking about all the "drive by" eating I do -- snacks in the office, especially. And plate clearing, I do tend to pick at my kids' leftovers. There's room for improvement on this one. I will write a response card, too.

So far, so good. I'm just getting to know all of you guys -- I skimmed the month's thread. I'm inspired by all the hard work you're putting into this plan.

Thanks for reading,
chinaKat
Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good afternoon, All. Happy to report DS is back to School for first time. 8 Days under weather, 3 pounds lighter (which he could not afford to lose), but with a smile on his face because he loves school. I feel I have a tremendous amount to be grateful for yet I cannot seem to string any OP days together. My weight is creeping up again. By the end of my daily chart ( a few more days) , I will have to change my ticker two pounds up AGAIN if I don't start making this thing a priority. OP so far and a promise to myself to put sushi on my plan if I truly, truly leave the sugar behind today. Good lunch, good exercise, I have everything I need to be successful this very minute.

Last edited by maryann; 04-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #223  

S/C/G: 150/149/135

What 3FC forums do you guys read besides the Beck Diet Solution?

Do you have other forums or blogs you like to read for weight loss related inspiration?

I use sparkpeople.com but find the forums a little disjointed. There is better "community" here IMO.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #224  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!
Day 5-eating while seated...my biggest step forward on this has been to prepare a sit down lunch for DH and I. At our other home, we actually sit at a small card table. I don't have the room here.
Today: Was a good Beck day...lots of credits. I decided to make my own whole wheat pizza crust tonight and had to cut the portion several times to make it fit into my calorie range. It ended up being the perfect size and was the best crust I've ever made. credit for the willingness to try for "smaller".

BillBlueEyes, yay for cooking up a little batch of something for your lunches. Ouch for sampling at WF/TJ. It's amazing how one has to remain vigilant. Some might say, who cares..it's just a little piece of ham, but I think it's important.

AnneWonders, hmm...I love OP cranky because it says, "detox". I love detox because it means I am heading in the right direction. BTW-I like the new RC!

maryblu, Yes, I'm still in on this Survivor season. Hey, you mentioned wishing you could find that "sweet spot". I have been employing gardenerjoy's technique of switching things around to avoid diet boredom (my words not hers). I'd been struggling for months, switched onto some calorie counting and the new interest has put me into full mode. If it gets boring I'm going to switch again.

ChefJoona, sending you strength with your Beck tools to get you through two difficult evenings.

Erika(eusebius), great credits and I think it's always a big credit when you don't have time for those personals and yet still check in.

onebyone, yay for a feeling of calm around food. Lots of credits as you work towards finding your plan.

gardenerjoy, I heard the news last night regarding the weather in your area. Glad you came through ok. Yay for giving water a chance when you felt hungry.

pamatga, great credits which certainly are in line with your being able to achieve your WL goal by 2012.

chinakat, I think most of us didn't realize how much we dabbled in food while standing until we got here. credit for reading, thinking and taking action. RE forums; I followed South Beach Diet since joining 3fc. It’s a pretty active group so I hang out here and there. Lots of great forums just peruse some and see where you fit in.

maryann, glad DS went to school...hope that helps you getting back OP. I find that I do much better with my usual chaotic routine….once that's altered my food situation seems to get more complicated.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #225  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Grabbed takeout at a local Indian Restaurant and only ate half the entree along with about a half cup of basmati rice; CREDIT moi. Walked to a meat market with real butchers and asked about fully cooked spiral hams, since I'm confused about the price range from $0.99 to $5+ per pound. He send me off with one they had on special - will be as good as their best but without the little package of brown sugar mix. I thought I bought a smallish one at only 10 pounds; DW thought it's much bigger than we need. Oh Well.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I was more comfortable with the weights that were new and a struggle last week. My head doesn't seem to believe that my muscles are growing, but the numbers on the weights seem to believe it. I was pleased to see a beginner, a young man who wasn't overweight, struggling with very small weights with his trainer. Pleased both because I don't see beginners very often in the weight section and because he's at the stage of major advancements quickly.

onebyone - Yay for taking the carcass of the turkey for soup - the best part. I did that with a ham bone once when visiting relatives and they were just astounded that someone would go to so much trouble. Then had to fight DW over who got to cook something with it, LOL.

Erika (eusebius) - "8 AM to 9:30 PM" is one loooooog work day. Kudos for "lots of spontaneous" exercise.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for violent weather - glad you made it OK. If I'm eating alone, I'm always reading. It's good to be reminded that I can be mindful of my food at the same time.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - I like the idea of super thin and crisp pizza crust. What do you put on it?

maryann - Sushi is a fine reward for leaving sugar behind for a day.

ChefJoona - Yay for "a lot of fruits and veggies."

pamatga - LOL that "Cinnabons" make us men think of sex and spending, LOL. Kudos for mindful choices at the Chinese Restaurant that is "loaded with food land mines."

chinakat - Yay for selecting the Chinakat Diet Plan - you know what works for you. I hate, hate, hate, that I used to pick at my kids leftovers. On 3FC I hang out on the Maintainers Forum and the Men's Forum. I've looked in on several other web sites but 3FC has my heart.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 4
Get a Diet Buddy

It's easy to gloss over your mistakes when you contact your Diet Buddy. That is why you should begin the conversation by reviewing the skills on your Success Skills Sheets (pages 266-275), which you will begin filling out when you start Stage 1 and continue to fill out for a very long time. Remember, the most important part of the communication with your Diet Buddy is to report on your progress and your mistakes and to get help with any problems you are having.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 36.
Closed Thread