Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 175/168/140

Height: 5'11

MaryContrary, you are doing a nice planning. Credit.

BillBlueEyes, yay for those huge strawberries. It's a good strategy to eat more of a healthy food.

ChefJoona, great you ate only one slice of pizza and then continued your healthy eating for the rest of the day. Credit for that.

Lexxiss, sorry about the pup.
But happy, that greasy chips were an eye opener for your DH.

eusebius, you are doing really great. Hope everything will go well at surprise party for your husband.

pamatga, nice food choices at Chinese restaurant. Credit.

tarte, happy you are feeling better. Kudos for starting your day with workout.

Newlifestyle, I guess it's healthy to accept, that you are only human, that you will make mistakes and then learn to live with them. My life keeps giving me this lesson and in each situation I have to learn it anew.

gardenerjoy, wow, I am so impressed. You not only lost weight, but you are a healthy person now and that's a huge achievement.

maryann, credit for your prayer. It's very powerful and just the right tool to fight overeating.

onebyone, wish your foot get better soon.

Today I red a post that if I am a binger, I will never stop being one, all my life I will be recovering binge eater. So, I will no more expect of myself that I will not binge, I am going to prepare for my future binges. I guess it's better than being caught unprepared. I have a huge cooked green cabbage in my fridge now. When binge comes, I'll try binging on cabbage. It should go easier on my body than other foods.

I was at the gym today. I love it, love it, love it… I don't want to skip it because of my binges ever again. Gym gives me so much energy and strength to cope with my daily life.

I was eating OP. In the evening I decided that I shouldn't deprive myself and I can have some of desirable foods, but only after I fill up on healthy dinner. So, after dinner I ate a bite size piece of cheese, half of mini wafer, 1/4 of oatmeal cookie and a little piece of chocolate. Yay for having a little of everything I wanted and still fitting in my daily calorie allowance.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 'Lo, Beckmates

Greetings, all,

Thought it wise to check in before only the oldest (translation: longest- running posters) of my Beckmates remember me.

My absence/neglect of my revered Beck thread is symbolic of my neglect of my own weight issue. Time to check back into life and Beck behaviors. Spring seems like the time. Doesn't it? I won't pretend to know what has been going on with my precious friends on this thread....have been wrapped up in dumb stuff...that said, I heard a Red-Winged Blackbird today..a Killdeer yesterday...time to renew Beck behaviors and deal with the 14 #s of fat that PLAGUE me. Will jump back into gardening with my wild spring abandon and non of the warm up exercises so talked about...let's hope these old bones can handle it one more time!

I am still at 145#...amazingly, it seems, that is my new "set point" and I can eat whatever-the-****-I-want and maintain that wt..unfortunately, that is NOT the wt. I want to maintain.

Best to all.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #63  
doing it

Finally had a 100% OP day and did all of my planned exercise. If I had gotten off the phone earlier and gotten to bed half an hour ago, I'd have completed all my daily goals!

I am on Day 16 which involves creating the "NO CHOICE" card. I read this several times today to make sure I didn't eat any off-plan food and also to do my exercise after work.

gardenerjoy - YAY! Great news about your doctor's visit!

Newlifestyle - I struggle with all-or-nothing thinking. I find logically countering my "sabotaging thoughts" helps me. For example, I'll think, "I just blew it... I am never going to be able to do this. I am such a failure." And then counter that with, "Is that really true? Do I really think I'm a failure? But I've succeeded in a lot of things such as X, Y, Z... " etc. It is tough for me to change my thinking since I've been doing it for so long that it is automatic, but I'm hopeful that with practice, I'll get it.

maryann - Credit for understanding your blues and writing a prayer to help you.

RunningFree - I'm glad you found that not depriving yourself worked to fend off a binge and stay within your calorie allowance.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - CREDIT moi for eating on plan at an Indian restaurant last night. Both DW and I have left overs for lunches. They served an unannounced appetizer of a shot glass of spinach soup! So tasty, and just the right volume to get a nice taste. Wish that all appetizers were so small.

Exercise was walking to the restaurant; CREDIT moi. DW observed how good it feels to walk right after eating - feels like it's helping digestion or something.

maryblu - Such cheerful affirmation that Spring is truly coming, "I heard a Red-Winged Blackbird today..a Killdeer yesterday." Glad to be reminded that Spring is a good time to shed the few pounds that creep on during winter. DW mentioned last night that it's time to start our seeds indoors under the grow lights - as we walked along feeling the cold because we both had dressed for the warmer temperature of the afternoon and got caught a tad under dressed.

onebyone - Congrats on the positive scale reading. (Love the casual flipping back and forth between pounds and kilos, LOL.) Good luck with your ankle so you can get moving in your new neighborhood.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for busy days; Ouch for busy days when you're trying to practice slowly and mindfully, LOL. Hope your party last night remained a surprise.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Triple Woots for all the good news from your doctor. LOL at being paraded around his practice to show off your loses. Admiring, with a touch of jealousy, your good cholesterol numbers. So you have lots of little guys running about your arteries cleaning up the buildups before they can become plaque. Even while you sleep. Comforting thought, that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ugh, that dripping oil from potato chips is one motivating story; that needs to be published far and wide. I've never seen that from chips before.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yep, the old "all or nothing attitude" keeps sneaking in and needs to be routed out. Kudos for being aware and being willing to work on that.

maryann - That's a powerful spiritual prayer - thanks for sharing. And thanks for the reminder, "Overeating is a powerful disease."

ChefJoona - LOL at the sequence, "reflecting on her own eating habits... then she served pepperoni pizza." Kudos for bringing spinach salad for balance.

pamatga - Congrats on that 4.6 pounds gone - be they sodium induced or whatever. Ouch for waking to thunderstorms - the southern U.S. does have really loud ones. [You're right, I don't really want to look like "The Arnold" - I might have to become governor, LOL.]

RunningFree - Kudos for gym and for your positive attitude toward your exercising there. My take on the notion of always being a binger isn't that you'll always binge, but that you'll always have the tendency to binge, so need to stay prepared. So your cooked cabbage is a terrific strategy to stave off a harmful binge.

tarte - Kudos for 100% on plan eating and on plan exercising. Love reading that you used your "NO CHOICE" card all day.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 1
Gather your supplies
You will need a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following:
. . .
  • Smaller plates and bowls (optional). You will be more visually satisfied if your portions seem larger. If you get 1/2- and 1-cup bowls, you won't need to use measuring cups as often and you can eat directly form them, which will reduce cleanup time.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 33.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-06-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

On plan day yesterday, until I had some ice cream after dinner. It wasn't way off plan, but I wasn't hungry for it... I felt that old sense of entitlement to eat it. I deserve to eat it because I had a bad day... its there... its fat free, so what's the damage going to be....I'm going to throw the rest away and take it to the dumpster on my way out the door to work. Better it go to waste there then in my body! I went to bed feeling gross.

Credit for free weights yesterday. My 30 Day Shred didn't come in the mail yesterday... hopefully today.

gardenerjoy- congrats on reaching your goal of getting off the medication!!!!!
Lexxiss- so sorry to hear about your pup! heart breaking to lose our dear friends.
BillBE- a shot glass of spinach soup sounds yummy, and an appetizer worth enjoying!

Off to work... (and the dumpster!)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #66  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Recall me mentioning being up Monday or Tuesday am depending on you look at between 12-2 am? Well, we were having one heck of an electrical storm including 70 miles hr winds.

If anyone is interested in seeing the kind of ground lightning we get here in Georgia here is a link you can see: http://news.yahoo.com/s//yblog_local...ghtning-photo/

We live 7 miles north of midtown Atlanta where this guy took those photos which are now on You Tube and elsewhere. I have lost a computer to direct lightning hits three years ago. I saw the lightning come right out of the electrical outlet and up my power surge, strongest one you can buy, and kill my computer. I was sitting at my computer when it happened too. I ended up having to have my entire apartment rewired after that too.

Back in Minnesota we were accustomed to seeing lightning "shows" up near the Milky Way high up in the skiesbut the farther south you go and the closer you are to the equator the lightning is closer to the ground and the more you see them skate right across you. It is both awesome and frightning at the same time. I have stood on my open porch and watched a lightning strike ten feet in front of me.

This is why Florida holds the records for having the most ground lightning strikes each year. Also, there is ten times the heat (from electrical energy) in one lightning bolt than on the surface of the sun.

Now, that I have shared my Bill Nye, science guy, information, just wanted to let you know that by really working hard on keeping my sodium down (yesterday it was 2000 mg), drinking lots of H2O and eating more fruits n vegetables in my food plan (still had room for my dark chocolate indulgence), I have lost exactly 5 lbs since April 1st. Needless to say, this has been a much relief after the horrible month of March I had.

Last edited by pamatga; 04-06-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #67  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning all,
Thanks for the words or encouragement. Yesterday we went to a Chinese buffet and I ate on plan, as I was at the salad bar choosing what I would eat a woman came up with a small plate and mentioned to me I should use a small plate like she was using. She had a bread plate in her hand. I asked her why she said that to me. She replied, "well, you are taking so long to decide if you had a smaller plate you wouldn't have to decide, you could eat anything you wanted to." I then started to laugh because I got this vision that if I just use the serving spoon, I could stand here and eat and I wouldn't have to dirty a plate. Why I found this so funny was her reasoning to me wasn't very logical. The reason it wasn't was she did use a small plate each time she went up to the buffet, however, she looked like she was trying to fill her plate so nothing fell off. She also went up six times before I left the restaurant. I know she was just trying to be helpful to me offering her advice. I was glad I had my salad plate and only was at the buffet once. I felt good about my choices on my plate. It was all fresh vegetables, a tablespoon of white rice and a small piece of chicken. I ate my food and then I waited 20 minutes and I had a feeling of fullness so I stopped. This is the first time I have behaved like this at a Chinese buffet. I guess Beck does work...if you use it.
I have the 30 day shred, it isn't very effective if you don't use it. I should open it and try it out.
I am off to go swimming. I hope you all have a great day.
Ann
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #68  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

I'll have to be brief today as I'm very short on time, but I felt very good about getting through last night's party on plan. I ate about 1/3 of a slice of cake, ordered a healthy entree and left half the rice on the plate. I got on the scale this morning and it was up, but I'm sure that's just sodium from eating restaurant food. Will try to drink some water today.
My husband was genuinely surprised by the party and touched by how much his students care about him. A lovely event.
5 hours of clarinet lessons today ... ugh. Fortunately it's a lucrative gig ...
Today is Day 6 - Find a Diet Coach. Well, I think I can check that one off I have my online and face-to-face OA buddies now too, which is extremely helpful!
Not too much time for personals today but gardenerjoy - great news about coming off your blood pressure meds! WTG!
Maryann - I love your prayer - heartfelt and to the point.
maryblu - great to hear from you!!
pamatga - WTG on the weight loss!!
newlifestyle (Ann) - awesome job at the buffet!
Waving to everyone else and wishing you a great Wednesday!
cheers
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #69  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Angry Wednesday. I am not amused.

Good Afternoon Coaches

Today I am sad I am not in Ottawa with my sister and my mom. *sigh* My sister and I have been skyping but it doesn't make up for not being there, and it doesn't make up for this stupid ankle and it doesn't make up for the refuse building slowly in the kitchen as I still await the time I can take the car and go get a blue bin and a green bin and the instructions for how to recycle the garbage to the satisfaction of the City. I looked out, filled with envy, this morning at the garbage cans lining the street. I saw, with wonder, the garbage truck come by.

DH still hasn't got the phone hooked up here. STILL.He just never seems to have the time to do it. Maybe I should just get it in my name. Now there's a thought... so annoyed by it all.

And credit(?) for weighing in this morning. Today's weight: 285. +7 from yesterday.

I did have a battle yesterday afternoon with a large bag of salt and vinegar chips. It won. I lost. I ate all of them. I am thinking I need to eliminate some foods from my diet for now. The starches mostly. My portions are still huge and I eat like someone's going to take it from me at any moment; eat with a frenzy. I have often thought that I could surely win one of those professional eating challenges. (wow. Look at how organized this is... http://www.ifoce.com /index.php Talk about your horror/fascination. yikes.)

Anyway, today it's all getting to me. I'm finally here and I can't do anything except keep the foot elevated and wait until it's better. Even our trip to see the shuttle is post-poned to the end of the month; probably a good thing given the ankle issues, but another delay. I just feel like I will never get this new life of mine started.

Sorry about the griping.
Hope you-all are having a better day today.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 154

Height: 5'6

Lunchtime here in California. Today is one of those teaching days where everything makes sense and you can really FEEL like you are making a difference. Having just been thru a rough patch, it feels terrific. OP yesterday. I successfully stopped the pattern of chocolate hunting. It was tough because at the staff meeting, our principal had bought everyone a Crunch bar to symbolize the upcoming testing "crunch". I saved mine for DS and passed up all other mini treats. Credit. Weight showed favorable and exercised - credit. Planned to do it all again today.
Tarte: Three cheers for OP day.
Maryblu: i am battling my own new set point. I really want to live/thrive in the 140s.
Eusibius: It kills me when I am OP at a restaurant and get a temp. gain. "oh Well."
onebyone: giving up starches has made a big difference to me in not binging.
BBE: Yum! Spinach soup. I had sardine ceasar last nite. I must admit, it was a little fishy. But I love the nutrition so I am going to try and get use to it.
Runningfree: It is sometimes very helpful to say, "I will eat all my vegis and call the day a success not matter what else comes.." I am not sure I agree with "once a binger, always a binger." I have found tremendous relief thru this program.
ChefJoona: Congrats on food tossing. Love it.
Pagmata: congrats on fruits and veggies. I am almost entirely off grains now.
Newlifestyle: Buffets are tortuous, even without comments from innocent bystanders. Credit for moderation.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 175/168/140

Height: 5'11

maryblu, hello. Good you are here.

tarte, yay. That's wonderful you had a perfectly OP day.

BillBlueEyes, yay for nice experience in Indian restaurant.

ChefJoona, I loved your “Better it go to waste there then in my body!” What an attitude!

pamatga, you are doing great with your sodium control, water and fruits and veggies and you can burn off easily that little chocolate indulgence.

Newlifestyle, glad Beck works for you so well. Credit for swimming, it's a nice exercise.

eusebius, wow, nice that you have so much support online and f2f.

onebyone, everything will pass. When I had some bones in my foot broken I started doing situps in bed and pushups from knees (found some good training programs on the net). Actually after that incident I become quite good at doing them.

maryann, yay for having OP day yesterday. Good luck repeating your success today.

Beck day 25.
Did workout at home.
Skipped lunch to train my hunger a little bit more, but in the evening after nice and healthy meal decided that I deserve some chocolate. It just made me jittery. No more chocolate for me. I don't even like it that much.
My new mantra for hunger: “Hunger makes you active.” I red about it in some study and it is just what I need to accept hunger a little better.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #72  
doing it

Another OP day for me. I started taking an evening class (first one was today), which I had some trouble with because I couldn't eat dinner. The class runs from 6 - 9 pm and I have to leave work at 5 pm in order to get there on time. I'm not hungry for dinner at 5 pm but don't really want to wait until 9 pm (realistically, 9:30 is when I would get home) to eat dinner and then be going to bed soon afterward. I'm not sure how to handle this. Any advice, Coaches?

Today I had a soup that I drank in a thermos on the way to class (even though I wasn't hungry) but I was really hungry when class ended so I'm not sure that strategy will work.

Credits for today:
- read my ARC at the planned times
- gave myself credit
- used anti-craving techniques
- did planned exercise

I am on Day 17 in the book but didn't get to do the experiment of leaving extra food on my plate (I would have normally done this at dinner). I will try to do it tomorrow.

maryblu - hello! I think Spring is a great time to renew your Beck behaviors.

BillBlueEyes - yum, that Indian food sounded great. Credit for walking to the restaurant! I love to take walks after dinner... makes sure I didn't eat too much and helps digestion as you said.

ChefJoona - credit for throwing away the ice cream.

pamatga - very interesting storm information. I have never been in anything like that having lived in southern CA most of my life. Great job keeping your sodium down and your 5 lb loss!

Newlifestyle - credit for doing well at the buffet.

eusebius - sounds like you did well at your party. Hope the lessons went well today.

maryann - How awesome to have a day feeling like you made a difference. Credit for a great day today and passing on all of the treats.

RunningFree - Yay for doing your hunger experiment and coming to the realization about chocolate.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

No credit for exercise yesterday, but I planned to take the day off. 30 Day Shred arrived in the mail... I'll plan to use it tonight!

Had to adjust my eating yesterday to accomodate snacks at our weekly team meeting that I wanted to have. It of course took the place of my afternoon snack, and I ate a very light dinner. No cravings after dinner.

This week I have been trying to introduce more protein into my diet- starting with breakfast. I have noticed I have been eating just carbs for breakfast (hot cereal and a piece of fruit) and on the days I do have protein (peanut butter toast or an egg) I feel fuller much longer. On Monday I made a batch of quinoa, pumpkin, peanut butter bars (I made up the recipe) with flax seeds and pumpkin seeds. I have really noticed a difference. I haven't needed a morning snack and haven't been starved by lunch time. I read somewhere (I think in Women's Health or maybe the Green Book) that you should plan to eat about 30% of your daily calories at breakfast and include protein. I have been focusing on carbs and the portion has only been about 15-20% of my daily calories. No wonder I am noticing such a difference with this experiment.

Thursday morning weigh-in showed a loss of 1.3 lbs since Sunday. The loss is slowly picking up, after a plateau that lasted several weeks. It helps to mix things up and try new strategies!

tarte Did you notice anyone eating during class? Can you pack something to eat then? Most of my grad school classes were in the evenings during dinner time and it was fully accepted that people would bring food and eat during class. Even if its not a full meal you can bring, maybe some nuts or a PB sandwhich or high fiber/ high protein dry cereal- something to get you through that is easily packed?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #74  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi. Not much exercise - Ouch. Did fight the urge to go snarf some trail mix during the evening, but tried bringing a large glass of water with me to the second floor where there isn't any visible food. That seemed to work, since I got into reading and forgot about food.

onebyone - Ouch for the difficulties of starting life anew. Yay for the joys of a fresh start on many little things. Sending healing thoughts toward your ankle.

Erika (eusebius) - Yep, sounds like you have Diet Coaches under control. Kudos for remembering to eat sanely at your DH's celebratory dinner.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - LOL at trying to make sense out of a random comment from a stranger. Kudos for a fine performance at a Chinese buffet - those can be a challenge.

maryann - Ouch for facing a team building gift of a "Crunch bar" - when will school principals hand out apples instead? Big Yay for the days when you can "FEEL" that your teaching makes a difference. [Yep, those little sardines do taste fishy, LOL.]

ChefJoona - Ouch for those old entitlement Sabotaging Thoughts dropping by. Kudos for zapping them by tossing the ice cream.

pamatga - Congrats on those 5 pounds gone - you had me believing for a bit there that lightning was your weight loss secret, LOL.

RunningFree - Kudos for working on accepting hunger. That was such an amazing revelation to me that I could live with a little hunger every now and them. Love your mantra, “Hunger makes you active.”

tarte - That class time is a tough one. Kudos for taking it seriously to find an on-plan solution. Is there a break during the class that's long enough to eat your dinner? Is it a casual enough class that you could discretely eat your dinner during the class? When I've had to be somewhere at 6pm, I've chosen the eat before option, even though not hungry. It wasn't ideal, but sufficed.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 1
Gather your supplies
You will need a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following:
. . .
  • Smaller forks and spoons (optional). These utensils will help you take smaller bites so your food will last longer. For the same reason, some dieters enjoy using chopsticks, regardless of which type of food they are eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 33.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #75  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

April 1 276.2 lb
2 274.2 lb
3 274.2 lb
4 271.8 lb
5 271.6 lb [269.4-at 8 pm]
6 271.2 lb
7 271.0 lb [269.4 lb-2 am]

I posted the alternate weights because, like so many here, if I haven't eaten in say 6-8 hours you can see the temporary weight lose. To say the least, my awake and sleep hours have been in a major screw up for the past three weeks so I decided yesterday that in spite of only having 4 hours sleep I would stay up until 10 pm so I could try to correct this sleep issue I have had for a couple of months. I slept from 10 pm-2 am last night then got up and took 2 extra Tylenol PMs and went back to sleep, except for a couple of potty breaks, until 7:00 am. The alternate weigh ins when I am really empty also show that I am still hanging onto some sodium-induced bloat from last month. I wouldn't be surprised if I could even see another 3-5 lbs of bloat to go if I really push this hard.

So, I will keep working on keeping my sodium intake down each day and even try to get it down to a level where I can begin to see the kind of weight lose I had last summer when I was on plan every day for six weeks and lost close to 30 lbs. When I find out the right amount of daily sodium and see a weight lose I will stick with that. I am just so grateful that I decided to post my daily weigh in each day last month even if it seemed like a lost cause because it really was an eye opener for me regarding how the additional sodium was stalling my weight lose. Now, I know!

I have always heard that you need to team a protein with a carb. The hunger a lot of people experience is actually an insulin spike from going carb-alone. As a pre-diabetic and having followed the South Beach Diet from 2008-2010, I have really seen how a careful balance of "how, what and when I eat" carbs affects not only my perceived hunger or satiety levels but also cravings as well. I still credit following that food plan with correcting a lot of these inter-related food issues most people have. After taking this 4 part class on diabetes, it confirms to me that careful use of carbs in your food plan can correct so many of these issues we are all discussing and dealing with here in this group and elsewhere.

Last edited by pamatga; 04-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread