Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning on this Veteran's Day Holiday. In reading peoples post over the last two days, I understand that many of you are facing an emotional few days whether remembering past loved ones or facing those who are in mourning - like Nature Girl. I can tell all that six months ago I had absolutely no idea how to go to a memorial, reception or even simple family get together without automatically giving myself permission to eat everything in site. I simply couldn't experience emotion without Friend Food right next to me. Reading Beck's cards (like MinniePaul) have really made me conscience of this pattern. I know that the craving is not hunger; I know that not eating is not depriving it is actually nuturing; and I know the the CRAVING WILL END. Things still aren't perfect but I can honestly say most days are OP.
I haven't checked in for a few days. No excuses. Trying to find balance. I have lost another pound and have successful tipped that all important scale of having lost more than I now need to lose. I am on the downward slope. I have not been this thin since freshman year high school. I am determined to face new territory with courage and solid habits - like checking in.
BBE: Congrats on Maintainence milestone. Statistically speaking, you are an anomaly in weightloss and I am glad for your example of success. I consider you my Pocahontes leading me into uncharted territory.
Onebyone : the "sliced apple" thing hit me. It was my first awareness that food that wasn't processed could be spectacular.
Beverleyjoy: I hate it when someone reminds me of a sneaky habit creeping up. Now I have to look at my spoon licking behavior. Thanks for the honesty.
Ceejay: when you find the mind shut off switch let me know where it is.
Lexxiss: Congrats on catching up on personals. I face four days of no participation and it seemed intimidating. But I know the time spent in this process pays off big dividends.
Grouse: congrats on weightloss.
Woodland: My husband is a walnut farmer. I am a big fan of the nut. It is by far my favorite "fat"exchange. very satisying.

Last edited by maryann; 11-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 235/212/170

Height: 5'10"

Hello, may I join you? I read the books this summer, got off track, and am trying to take care of *ME* by working through the workbook now. Today is day 1. I give myself credit for stopping the bingeing I have been doing the last few weeks, and getting back on track!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #108  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up thursday evening check-in

Hi Coaches

A brief check-in here as I prepare to go out to the first meeting of the Ottawa Printmakers' Collective. The agenda for this first gathering seems massive. We'll see how far we get. My *bonus* for getting myself out of the house and on the bus to go downtown is to stop by the Sephora cosmetics store and pick up my *free* birthday gift! I think it's a mascara but it could be that and something else too... I used to love makeup but since gaining so much weight I've just stopped trying. Silly as I do ahve the proverbial "pretty face" though the double chins are now one too many and MUST GO.

In time coaches, in time.

Credits today for:

weighing in: 281 today up again.
no sugar
reading up on weight loss and searching for a foodplan

I looked at my Volumetrics book again and this time it seemes do-able. I will read a bit more and see if I'll try it. No luck getting The 4 Day Diet DVD today as the library was closed for the day due to Remembrance Day. I am just so off schedule that I completely forgot and found myself staring dumbfounded at the locked library door. Will try again tomorrow to pick that book up and another one called 50 Ways to Comfort Yourself Without Using Food. Title promises me coping strategies. If it lives up to the title that will be good. I will report in when I get it and read it. So far the book Win the Fat War:145 Real-Life Secrets to Weight-Loss Success is proving to be a more in-depth book that I thought it would be. In particular the very first success story got me.

I'll come back and tell you more but I better go or I'll be late!

Later Coaches

A big PS: so on my way out the door DH was chortling downstairs so he called me down to "read this email!" It was an update on the goings-on within DH's company and in it they listed the promotions and new hires and there was DH listed as starting Jan 1 in a position that is on the Isle of Man and not in Toronto but we haven't heard anything yet about the final outcome for DH so I took it with a grain of salt. we're still waiting to hear from The Boss over it all. As DH said "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing." more to come...

Last edited by onebyone; 11-12-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #109  
persist

Talking

Country Kitty!

Glad you're here and I look forward to your posts! Super BIG CREDIT on stopping the binge eating and getting back on track!

Last edited by onebyone; 11-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #110  

Talking new member seeking start-up advice

Hi everyone,

It feels weird to jump into this high-energy thread but here goes... i heard about Dr. Beck's books a few months ago in passing and ordered the book this past week (i am reading the new version - the green 'the Complete Beck Diet for Life'). i've just started reading the book and hope to start working through stage 1 over the weekend. i am hoping for coaching/support from this group, as you seem to be providing

> question for all the alumni in the group: is it ok to start with the Beck's second book which seems to be the updated version, or would you recommend starting with the pink book, or are both equally good options?

> lastly, does anyone here diet coach/buddy off-line - ie: with another individual through email for example to provide more accountability and daily follow-up? the forum is great but a little busy. i'd be interested if anyone would like to buddy up via email for daily communication

> i have to admit that i found the diet she outlines in the green book to be quite time intensive. as a graduate student working two jobs and living at home, i think it will be a challenge to make my own meals and keep up with the exact calorie proportions she sets out. i remember reading somewhere that in the pink book there was no specific diet to be followed, but we were simply to eat in a healthy/balanced way according to our planning, which might be easier for me. any thoughts?

thanks and looking forward to your wisdom

r4c

ps - special 'hello/bonjour' to the fellow Canadians and Ottawans around

Last edited by redy4chng; 11-11-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi-I saw the Beck book mentioned on this thread and decided to buy it -the pink one. In particular I am dealing with over eating at night. The book has been helpful. I knew I was not feeding physical hunger but something more complex. Last night was a credit - I had a planned snack - and not the endless grazing. I have enlisted the help of DH. We are doing a crossword puzzle together like we used to do years ago at the time I'm usually eating. Have to do the same tonight. Looking forward to it becoming a habit. I'm kind of "white knuckling" it now. I was rewarded with a one pound loss on the scale this a.m. Thanks for listening! Dee
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check in tonight.

DH and I went to the city to attend a Remembrance Day service. It was a difficult thing to do but it did feel good to stand with others and pay tribute. What really connected for us today was watching the CBC special documentary "We Will Remember Them" which honoured the Canadians who have died in Afghanastan. They focused on a number of our fallen soldiers and showed who they were and what they meant to their families. When my DH's brother's picture was shown, it was just too much. I am so glad the CBC told their story today-- it really meant a lot to us and I am sure to the many families watching.

I have a good list of credits today. I ate sanely at lunch at the restaurant, I did my weights, I checked in here, I weighed in, and I meditated for 15 minutes.

Have a good Friday
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome country kitty

country kitty

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #114  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome redy4chng

redy4chng

And, on the occasion of your first post,

Neat that you heard about Dr. Beck's books "in passing."

How did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome deelee10

deelee10

And, in case you didn't get one of these during your month here,

Neat that you heard about the Beck books from this thread, itself.

But, how did you find thist hread on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lunch was provided at a working meeting. I had a chicken topped salad with minimal dressing and ... I left the croutons; CREDIT moi. That felt good since I'm not yet skilled at leaving food, and I do love the taste of restaurant croutons - soaked in butter that they are. Also skipped the chips, fresh baked cookies, and liquid calories. The cookies were a bit difficult since the guy sitting next to me make three trips back to get more. In his defense, he was one of those hyper types - tall, uber lean, and possibly going for the cookies just to get up and move during a long meeting.

Felt good to lunge through my gym, CREDIT moi, walking home in the dark.

onebyone - Ouch for a trip to the library to find them closed. Looks like you have several opportunities in mind for your eating plan. Kudos for your equanimity facing the ambiguity between the Isle of Man and the Isle of Toronto. Looking forward to your report on the 145 Secrets.

CeeJay - Congratulations for going through the emotions of Remembrance Day with your DH. With Kudos for eating sanely in addition.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Wow for "peanut butter and mayo" - with joyful thoughts about childhood culinary creations. Kudos for standing down your cravings, when the obvious choice is to indulge.

"Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself." - [Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway (1925)]

Beverlyjoy - Ouch that "very sore" continues after your exercise; Kudos for taking care of it with ice and moving forward. Hope your father's slides are preserved; there will be a generation coming along that never knew a veteran and would cherish seeing the daily life of a soldier.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - I appreciate that the caregiver in you recognizes that she has to take care of you also; caregiver burnout is so common. Kudos for refraining from tasting.

Woodland - Neat that you're using the Seven Questions Technique. There really is power in naming the issues; it reduces their size.

maryann - Such a powerful thought, "I simply couldn't experience emotion without Friend Food right next to me." Kudos for using Beck strategies help to counter that. [Smiling at the thought of Pocahontas - but seriously aware that maintaining a weight loss is uncharted territory, for which 3FC is a rare jewel for gathering up a few people who are doing it.]

My thanks to the walnut farmers of California, including you and your DH, for getting those luscious little guys into bags at Trader Joe's so I can so conveniently indulge. I'm never without a one pound bag in my pantry.

grouse - Congrats for three weeks in your grove, with Kudos for giving yourself credit for that. With extra Kudos for "even though I didn't feel like it." I like being reminded that not feeling like it is not an emergency.

country kitty - Oh Yes, do join us. Kudos for "getting back on track," for charging forth into day 1 of the Beck program, and for posting here. You're on your way.

redy4chng - Yay for jumping right in. It does seem a bit intimidating when everybody else seems to know each other, but that goes away pretty quickly. 1) Yep, starting with Beck green book, Diet for Life is just fine. Some people find it easier to follow with the five stages rather than the 42 days. 2) Yes, some posters here have off-line Diet Coaches. It's a stellar idea if you can set it up. 3) Even though you're reading the green book, feel free to take the idea from the pink book that you select two diet plans - a primary and a backup - and follow those. There is no magic in the list of recipes in the green book, just a nice alternative.

deelee10 - Your crossword puzzle with your DH is such a good demonstration of a Beck strategy; Kudos for starting out so strong. As you work on strategies like that, the "white knuckling it" feeling will decrease.

Readers -
Quote:
day 42
Practice, Practice, Practice
reminders to think thin

If you think ... I hadn't planned to eat this food, but I'm hungry. I have to eat right now!
Remind yourself ... Barring a medical problem, I don't need to eat. I just want to eat. But I want all the benefits of weight loss much more than I want the momentary pleasure of eating.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 267.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-13-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #117  
persist

Talking good start

Hello Coaches

Credit moi: weighed in and saw 278.8. Sheesh. the past three days were 280, 281, 278. Did I do anything particulalry right or wrong? No, well actually I will take a credit for not freaking out and eating over an unpleasant scale reading, one worse than the next. Look! hahaha I can finally use this icon:

you you scale you!

That felt good.

I'll finally pick up my 4 day diet dvd at the library today as well as 50 things you can do to comfort yourself without food. I am in full research mode before I commit to a plan. Right now I am working no sugar. Haven't added the wii fit yet but I will. I did, coaches, get 8 bags of garbage out the door this week A tiny dent has been made re:getting ready to move.

Be back later for personals....
Old 11-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Heavens, lots of new voices. Welcome to Country kitty, Redy4chng and Dee/lee10. I fiinished my last MFA application last nite. It has been a long, slow and Hungry process. Walking through fear of transperancy (I was actually formally declaring I wanted something) made it very difficult especially without my comforting ally, food. Credit Moi. Thank you to Beck. For the first time in my life I went through the fear and lost weight at the other end.
onebyone: I started my journey by buying new clothes and putting on makeup even though I gave the clothes away three months later because they were too big. I had to start feeling good about who I was in the present before the Bck program would work for me.
redy4chng: I did not do the green book. I liked the pink book because it allowed me to choose the diet that would work for me. I couldn't follow pink's food plan. The "Zone" is simple and time effective.
CeeJay: congrats on walking through the memorial with a measure of peace.
BBE: congrats on buffet event. The lean cookie man I am sure has his own cross to bear.

Last edited by maryann; 11-12-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #119  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

BillBlueEyes, I didn't recall my DH zipping to Boston to sit next to you and eat cookies yesterday. You described him to a tee! Your story reminds me of home only meetings end...lol. Seriously, what a great job resisting all those foods. I didn't recall the croutons we full of butter but rather some kind of hydrogenated reconstituted fat. Anyhow, they are surely a safer food when made at home.

country kitty, I'm working on ME too.

redy4chng, You jumped in here just fine. I'm fairly new, and it took me awhile to get to know everyone. I am one who had a diet buddy, and although it worked for 2 months our lives went different directions. I find these Beck folks to be the best coaches/buddies.

deelee10, I am also an evening overeater. I find Dr. Beck's guidelines very helpful as I resist the unplanned eating. Congrats! on your one pound loss.

grouse, congratulations on your monumental achievement! Great that you can celebrate with less inches and pounds!

Woodland, great that you are finding yourself able to use the 7 question technique with the issues you are dealing with. Perhaps maryann, wife of the walnut farmer, has recipes.

gardenerjoy, such a great concept, to "answer my craving without catering to it". I often come upon that myself, and although I "could" plan to eat something, sometimes it just doesn't feel right anymore.

maryann, what great progress you have made; having lost more than you now need to lose and not being this thin since high school and finishing your last MFA application. I appreciate your words to onebyone-I agree that it is very important to feel good in the "present" as we work our respective programs.
BTW-my DH loves black walnut and we used to buy wood from a farmer near Chico. Unfortunately, I am allergic to walnuts and have to forgo DH's heritage and favor pecans.

CeeJay, thanks for taking the time to check in with us after experiencing such an emotionally painful day. That you accomplished all your tasks and noted *credit* is quite commendable.

onebyone, *credit* *credit* not freaking out AND getting 8 bags of garbage out the door. Both accomplishments facilitate weight loss, in my opinion.

ETA-I posted, and realized I had not checked in....it was my original intent.
Me, OP yesterday, accomplished using resistance and distraction tools. My mom wanted to fit a drive to the library into our afternoon and it occupied me during my hardest snacking hours of the day. *credit* Today I'm tackling another one of my unfinished projects-perhaps inspired by onebyone's 8 bags of garbage. I have another hour and I'll be finished. Mom seems to want to go somewhere today, so I'll be blessed to head out again later this afternoon. I still have an intention of getting back to reading from my chapters but NO CHOICE about exercise is filling my open moments. *credit* for exercise.

Have a thoughtful day, everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - yesterday was a healthy day. I am grateful. I stayed with my plan, did my exercises, kept track of food in journal, drank my water, read my response cards, left a bite every time and more. Many credits - am grateful. I took some medicine for my sore back. It feels much improved today. Good.

I’d like to do the above today and add my other tasks - especially, meditate.

Made some chili to send to my neighbor, her DH and their five sons for dinner tonight. She had surgery on her knee. My DH will be happy to eat chili tonight too. Sounds a bit spicy for me - I’ll have a turkey sandwich and veggies.

Maryann - so happy you are finding the Beck techniques so helpful as food call you and now you have new resources to get through it . Credit. You said: I know that the craving is not hunger; I know that not eating is not depriving it is actually nuturing; and I know the the CRAVING WILL END. It’s a wonderful eye-opening moment. when we learn this. I am so glad to hear this.

Onebyone - I am glad you got your things from the library. I am so, so impressed with your eight bags of things to get rid of!! Credit for working on no sugar! You’ve used volumetrics before - are you comfortable with that plan. I sure do hope they figure out for sure where DH is being transferred!

Billbe - major credit for passing up so many tempting things at the lunch! Not fair - when a hyper/skinny type person gets to go back again for more cookies.

Ceejay - glad you got to the remembrance ceremony - very meaningful.
Many credits - very good. Especially - sane choices at the restaurant and meditating.

Deelee10 - WELCOME! So glad you posted. I have the pink Beck book and the workbook. I am glad you are finding things helpful. She really does give us a blueprint for learning to live with food in a much more healthy manner.

Ready4chng -WELCOME! So glad you jumped right in posting. I haven’t seen Dr. Beck’s green book. But, many folks here use it. I have the first pink book and the workbook. I think you can use which ever one works the best for you. The support will be here regardless. Some folks have other diet coaches/buddies away from this forum, too. Like I said, I use the first book - my two food plans are calorie counting and food exchanges. Maybe you could think about which food plan can work best with your time frame and use the book for the techniques.

country kitty - WELCOME! Credit for stopping the bingeing. This is major. So glad you posted and are working through the workbook!

Lexxiss/Debbie - you said: *credit* for recognizing how many times I initiate tasting then refrain. I think this is MAJOR. (maybe you should twirl! LOL) So glad you got your work out in…Credit, indeed.

Grouse - Hooray!!! - for that wonderful weight loss. Many great credits - not bingeing for such a long time is major, It is a real significant thing. Also - going to the gym when you don’t feel like it is a huge credit!

Woodland - ah yes…winter will be coming. We are having a bit of a respite the last few days where I live. Good for you, using the seven step technique. That has always been a challenge for me. Great! (I find it confusing. - my brain..)

Gardner joy - cravings can be such a challenge - I like pnb as a sauce too, often. Perhaps, if you make the recipe you are craving - you can get it out of your system. As long as you don’t think it will cause a binge and it works in your plan. Credit for facing a craving and going ‘crazy’ with food.

Have a great day folks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-12-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Closed Thread