Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I am encouraged by all of you here. Reading of your successes and challenges reminds me that I'm not alone in this painstaking journey that I've gotten myself into. I've found the 3FC blogs to be a really great outlet so I've been writing there quite often.

Going back to some of the October threads, I had commented on changing the word diet to health in my Beck book because I've had little to no success with dieting. Health has a better ring to it. So many of you gave me great alternatives. Really liked eating plan and health plan to replace the word diet, too. Thanks for that.

I struggle with "Credits" but have been working on it. And as I was reading through the threads I'm going to finish off my day with an entry in my gratitude journal. It's so easy to focus on what's not right and forgetting to credit myself for the little things I do has already impacted me at those moments. I'm too hard on myself and it's something I'm working to improve.

Also, one of my biggest challenges right now is determining and identifying my triggers and how to address them before they become a binge. It's strange, I can have something happen to me in the morning but I won't "emotional eat" until late or later in the day. The trigger happened long ago. I'm starting to identify that I have triggers but after analyzing them afterwards, I still have no clear pin point to be able to say... "ah ha, there it is. this is the trigger that will send me into a tail spin later today so I better change my emotion right now." How does one deal with this?

I'm going through the book slowly so I may not have gotten to the part that addresses this but if anyone has thoughts about this, I'm all ears.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome olfea

olfea

And, on the day of joining 3FC,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this thread on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did the standard, expected, Not About Me, when facing some store bought cookies; CREDIT moi. I like that because I had the standard, expected, Me Wants Some, that I have whenever a cookie appears in sight.

A bunch of walking; CREDIT moi. Had to walk quickly in the cold. Included walking to dinner at a local Japanese quick serve place where I had a warming big bowl of curry ramen. Just had to see what a Japanese restaurant did with curry. It was good enough and, as a surprise, included half a hard boiled egg.

maryblu - Congratulations for your Vikings going to the edge and recovering in the old style Brett fashion. Hope your heart survived the tension.

onebyone - OK, so think of it as The Isle of Toronto, on it's own private lake. Bring the three legged idea with you and introduce some new symbolism to the city. Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with your mother's Alzheimer's. That takes a lot of patience to accept that that's where her brain functions now. Major Kudos for not eating your way through your day yesterday.

CeeJay - Kudos for "banning Tim Horton's." I've never been to one, but there must be something about their donuts that sucks folks in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for yard work for exercise and Congrats for maintaining your word count. I remember, when first reading 1984, having the thought that I could possibly live long enough to see that year, LOL.

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." - [George Orwell, 1984 (1949)]

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a sense of humor to carry you through.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Choosing a healthy salad over leftover pizza is a great choice; Kudos. Leftover pizza calls to me from the fridge.

julzchiki - Yep, for me too, giving myself credit is a challenge. I also find it easier to focus on what's not right. Kudos for choosing to give yourself credit in your journal even though difficult. Interesting question about delayed responses to emotional triggers. What works for me, when I do it, is to ask myself why I am drawn to eating off-plan, particularly when it's not something of real interest. And then I am sometimes able to identify the trigger, maybe from earlier in the day. Good luck working that issue; I think it's an important one.

Woodland - Like the reminder, "I did stop at the next red light though." Kudos for recovery from a minor off-plan before it became major.

maryann - Welcome return of the wanderer, LOL. Glad you missed us. Kudos for so clearly recognizing that food just brings a second problem to anxiety.

olfea - Yep, Beck is a good set of strategies to follow. We're a group of folks who use each other as Diet Coaches and Diet Buddies, as suggested in the two books by Dr. Judith Beck. If this appeals to you, get your hands on one of the books and join us. You'll be most welcomed.

Readers -
Quote:
day 42
Practice, Practice, Practice

Congratulations! You've learned the Cognitive Therapy skills you need to think like a thin person. The longer you use these new thinking skills, the more automatic they'll become. Dieting will continue to get easier and easier. Do you remember the differences in thinking between naturally thin people and people who struggle with dieting, which were described on pages 34-41? Your thinking has fundamentally changed in the past six weeks. If you ever fine yourself slipping back to your old way of thinking, review "Reminders to Think Thin" on the facing page.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 266.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default OT - my wedding.

Ceejay hasn't heard this true tale and asked to hear it. So here it is.

Our wedding - DH and I were married the weekend of the blizzard of 1978 in Cleveland, Ohio. On record for the worst barometric pressure ever recorded. Wednesday before our wedding, my mom told me the news said a blizzard was coming and I’d better have DH come to Cleveland a couple days early. He didn’t have a chance to pick up his wedding band - but, got there before the storm. (if he hadn’t come a day early he would not have been able to get to town at all.)

Soon all the airports and interstates were closed. So people starting calling to say that they couldn’t attend. My sister got into Cleveland on the last flight arriving. The Friday before our wedding we had until noon to get our marriage license (only office open downtown) We left at 8 am and what should have been a 30 minute drive got us there with at 11:55 am. DH and we were yelling at each other. DH said he wouldn’t get married without his mom there. I kept saying.."hey, this isn’t my fault - I am not happy about all this either" .

The rehearsal dinner was cancelled because the restaurant was closed. We gathered up a few folks and found a place. We were stressed to the max. It was the only time I ever saw my sister smoke a cigarette.

So, on Saturday I started calling a few local folks and inviting them to the wedding - kind of strange to be invited ‘last minute’ but the food was paid for. The bakery with my wedding cake was closed. My dad picked up a big unclaimed bowling tournament cake from the grocery…they put our names on it.

Finally, one lane on the interstate opened and a half dozen people (including DH’s parents - but, not the grandparents) got to Cleveland an hour before the wedding. My dad was so stressed he cut his face when shaving and had to get stitches…so, all the wedding pictures have a huge bandage on his face. My mom lost my wedding band that she was keeping for me. We never found it. The caterer couldn’t get the food I wanted so they gave us prime rib…which I hate. The florist didn’t get the flowers in and made my things with the leftovers.. The clergy had two weddings that night and did the other couple's ceremony - we were all looking at each other thinking “what is he talking about” At least he got our names right.

The next day- only one lane was open to get out of town and we headed south - our honeymoon was scheduled north at a cabin in Michigan. But, we couldn’t drive there. A DH found an inn in Granville where we hung out for a day. The restaurant at the inn didn’t have much on the menu (no deliveries) I was sobbing and DH was drinking bourbon out of the bottle in the claw footed bathtub. Finally, the roads opened and we drove home north with walls of snow on each side of the road. I cried most of the way home.

So we had a wedding where folks didn’t attend, no wedding bands, no rehearsal dinner, wrong flowers, wrong dinner, weird cake, wrong ceremony , no honeymoon., dad’s huge facial cut, and more stress than one can imagine. For years I couldn’t attend a wedding without crying…it wasn’t tears of joy for the couple, it was me wishing that my wedding could have been ‘normal.’ Yes, it was awful back then…now, it’s a hilarious story. So I guess - it’s not the wedding but, the marriage that counts.

One good thing…the pictures were great.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-08-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #65  

Hi coaches/buddies - yesterday was a healthy food day. I am grateful. I kept track and wrote down everything I ate. I did my various exercises. Credit for those. I was happy that the Browns won the football game.

The family has reservations at Disney World for GS’s fourth birthday for February 2011. It’s DH and I, my son, dil & grandson, daughter in law parents, DH’ sister & our neice (18 yrs) and daughter in laws sister. I made the plane reservations yesterday hoping that I’ll be able to go. If I can…I will!

Today - Prince and I are going to PT. Moving forward and trying to stay positive!

I am committing to doing my Beck tasks in my journal today and writing it all down.

Billbe - I like ‘its not about me’ attitude! Credit. Glad you found such a healthy dinner and the hb egg to boot!

Olfea - WELCOME! - I think you will find the Dr. Beck’s books as a blueprint to learning to live with food in a sane manner. Folks at this forum are helpful, friendly, and carry much wisdom to share. I think her book has made a big difference to me.

Julzchiki - WELCOME! so glad you posted. Yes…it is very true that you are certainly NOT alone in the life long challenge of living well and healthfully with food. I don’t call my food plan a diet either. Don’t like the word…I even posted a thread about it months ago.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...g-say-lol.html
I too do daily gratitudes - I have for twelve years. It always puts life into perspective. As you move through the book you will learn concrete ways to face binges, cravings, and desires with food.

Ceejay - I posted my wedding day disaster story. Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction!
I have done meditation on and off for many years. I do it by listening to CD’s (with ear phones ) on relaxation meditations, weight loss meditations, health/pain meditations, and now preparing for surgery meditations. It feels awkward at first. Your mind often wanders…but, you just pull it back whenever it happens. I recommend it for everyone.

Woodland - credit for figuring out what size breakfast works best. Credit for stopping at that red light!!! You are making so many changes in your life for the positive as you are really living better and better with food. I am so happy to hear it.

Onebyone - I know it’s so hard with your mom and her alzheimers. It’s wonderful that you can spend some time together. There are many support groups to help you cope. Dealing with all this uncertainty is so challenging. All you can do is plan as much for the future as you can…but, take it one day at a time. Keep thinking what food plan could work with all this uncertainty. Credit for looking!!

Maryann - glad you found the thread, via billbe!! So many of us face anxiety with thoughts of food. You are doing the right things with utilizing the Beck ideas. Good for you.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-08-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #66  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb blank

Good Morning Coaches

This afternoon we're bringing Caesar, our cat, to the vet. Step 2 in readying him for the move to the UK which may not happen now, or rather, right now but we'll just move forward anyway. He is by far THE WORST kitty I've had in terms of travelling by car. Last time he upchucked going there-panted with a huge open mouth after- then had diaherrea on the way back. Bad bad traveller. Poor kitty.

But that's later. I am going to work on cleaning up my living room yet again today.

I'm also going to use the wii fit today.

And I'm not going to eat sugar.

This may be my foodplan until Thursday's official weigh-in.

I'm not going to complicate my life with onorous food rules I have no hope of keeping. Instead I am falling back on my theory of success that I think applies to everything and anything: set yourself up to succeed and as you see yourself succeed you'll be spurred on to make, and keep, more changes. I need success and I need to work with where I am today and that's at the very beginning.

Have a grand day today!

Beverleyjoy
I can well imagine that at the time your wedding must have been like one long 70's disaster movie. But boy it was a joy to read! And it just goes to prove that if you and your new DH made it through that and stayed strong well ... the proof is in the pudding as he's there with you today and your bad foot and your formerly good foot aka Prince. It makes my anxiety about my possible "move to somewhere" feel a lot less too. Thanks. Hugs to you & your DH.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

Feeling overwhelmed. I planned my day last night and, only after the plan was completely written, remembered that I had promised to do more path building today. So, now that's kind of written on the side and some part of me thinks I "should" be able to do both the original plan and the path building--essentially get two days worth of work done in one day! We'll see how that goes. Heh.

WI: +0.6kg, Exercise: +50 285/1350 minutes for November, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

CeeJay: I've only managed anything approaching meditation at the end of a yoga session, but that does work pretty well for me. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

onebyone: that's a big adjustment to make in thinking about your future. It sounds easier (yay!) but much less exciting (boo!). Good for you for acknowledging your feelings!

julzchiki: I think I did things kind of rotely. I analyzed the situations that surrounded my worst binges and made rules to prevent them. "No eating in the car" and "no eating anything purchased from a drugstore or gas station" stopped the behaviors, even without figuring out the emotional piece of it. In fact, I've never fully figured out the emotional pieces. Some of it, I think I can just let slide into the past. Other things, I'm getting better at figuring out alternative behaviors. And others, well, that's why I'm still posting here -- I'm working them out day to day as they come along.

Beverlyjoy: Disney World knows how to take care of people, even ones with problems walking. Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the wedding story -- that does sound perfectly awful and yet such a delight as a story.

Greetings to everyone else!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #68  
Queen of shifting minds

Height: 5'6-1/2"

Greetings Beck peeps
I am struggling. No choice for the cookie dough that DH brought home, but I keep picking at it
Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #69  

BelovedK - can you dump soap on it and throw it away? Or -

Distance yourself from it.
Drink lots of water.
Do some deep breathing.
Distractions...help- phone, internet, take a walk, take drive (stay away from foodie places).

Last , but, not least - destroy it. Better in the trash than in you Dr. Beck always says.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-08-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #70  
Queen of shifting minds

My DH got it from the GD for a school fundraiser and would be upset if I threw it out. I am now making OP food to distract myself (I already dipped into it a bit ) I am trying to drink lots of water and cut my losses and get right back on up. I would dump it in the dumpster if it were mine. I was thinking of making it all into cookies tonight and maybe allowing myself one, and sending the rest with DH to work so his men can eat them instead of me (plus, I don't want my DD or DS eating such junk either)
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #71  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Yesterday wasn't great, but I am back today.*credit* DH woke up when I did and was moderately obstinate. I didn't get my quiet time in. Then he made a breakfast for me which I didn't want to eat but did anyway. Not a bad breakfast...just not on my plan.
*credit* for finally making my breakfast green drink at 4pm, and then making a healthy dinner. I did talk with him and explain that if he was going to rise early that he had a responsibility to be pleasant. With his brain injury sometimes it sinks in sometimes it doesn't. Oh well. I am grateful today that I understand in every cell of my body that I have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and that giving up on all I've worked for will only hurt me. *credit* for that.

BillBlueEyes, hmm Japanese curry...just reminded me of all the plastic food displays in the Tokyo airport. My DH thought they were real. Great job avoiding the store bought cookies-too bad you couldn't read the label. lol

maryblu, I love those starry starry nights. It DOES put a lot of things into perspective.

gardenerjoy, Go, you! You often remind me to get out in the yard everyday and get something done while moving a bit. I do hope you found a middle ground today.

Beverlyjoy, I'm sorry to hear about your tummy acting up. I hope it settles. Since you mentioned the smoothies, I might mention that there are lots of live enzymes happening that you may not be used to. I try to have my drink earlier, before eating other foods, because it "could" interfere with proper digestion-perhaps actually speeding up digestion before other foods in your tummy were ready?? Good to always be remembering, "this too shall pass". Thank goodness for both you and DH having a sense of humor.
ETA-loved the story, since I hadn't heard the whole thing, especially, "It was the only time I ever saw my sister smoke...and DH was drinking bourbon out of the bottle in the claw footed bathtub." Maybe you could re-wed, and do over sometime. I'd come, if you'd invite me….seriously.

CeeJay, good for you, banning Tim Horton's. It helps me to remember that although the donuts taste great, they are so high in calories and fat that they really derail a daily plan quite fast. Regarding meditation, we do meditate in my yoga class. I have not had great success at home but am confident that I would if I just did it. When I am at class, I find it very easy to get totally present and leave my problems behind. When I had class twice a week it worked for me much better.

Woodland, I find the same thing about food in the morning. It's great to be able to notice it and modify. Great job getting back on track! Th anks for the good week wishes! Lets!

onebyone, I read every word of your post with the greatest empathy. So many things going on with your Mom and your impending move. Your day with your Mom and recognizing that she can't really help the things that she does that annoy you so much must be very frustrating, to say the least...and now Toronto, when you were adjusting to overseas is certainly a new twist. You have named your emotions with both, which BBE often reminds me is of great assistance when you are trying to remain sane with food. Yes to Wii fit and No to sugar is a good starting point.

maryann, glad you found us again. Great job during rainy weather to write down and weigh your food, knowing that food and eating are in your thoughts.

olfea! I hope you find a book and jump in. These tools help me every day!

julzchiki, keep working on your credits. I think being too hard on yourself can be one of the biggest sabotaging thoughts. After reading your post, I am going to be more aware of post-event tail spin syndrome. I had never thought about it before.

BelovedK, I hope you are remaining sane with that yucky dough. Cutting your losses would certainly be helpful. If you are questioning, reading the label really helps me….so many calories, grams of white sugar, corn syrup and all the really yucky stuff. In large quantity, it will be good for a real hangover tomorrow.

We are traveling at the moment...pups, kitty, 2 sewing machines, my remaining greens from my garden-in pots, and a bucket of worms heading for a new home. We are out running a large storm which is supposed to hit tonight. Thank goodness, food seems sane today.

Take care everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-08-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #72  
Queen of shifting minds

Yes Debbie, reading the ingredients would probably help
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Quick hi to my Beckmates from one irrationally exuberant Beckie.

The incredible fall weather is forecast to continue one more day..60's, sunny, no wind. Yay! Incredibly mild evenings great for star gazing.

And the Vikings won! Wonders never cease.

The insanity known as deer hunting seems to be more contained than usual, but 3 of the 4 hunting injuries in the state on Sat. happened in my county. *laffin'. Norwegians are clutsy. No one hurt too badly *sigh of relief. Am glad no one in blaze orange has realized I have quite the progression of bambis strolling across my driveway each morning. I would hide them out if I could, but they seem to keep moving through my woods and points eastward.

Still taking in the bounty of fall for healthy eating..so much easier with great fall veggies and fruits. I miss my raspberries, tho!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I had a much better day. I stayed on plan and asked myself a bunch of times if I was really hungry. Some days I seem so hungry and others I don't. Weird.

For the cookie dough problem - here's my suggestion. I try to take a food that seems so dangerous and give it some data. What is a serving? How many calories etc? I think it takes some of the power away from the 'treat food' when I look at it like any other food choice. After I do some analyzing, I can decide if I want to put a serving into my plan. I did this with some cherry pie recently. I had a serving, didn't feel deprived, knew it was an exception (like a treat), and I didn't feel like I fell off the wagon.

Credits today:
~ Shoveled more turkey compost (rain predicted later in the week is motivating me to get the piles onto the garden rows even faster)
~ Exercised as planned
~ Ate within my allocations
~ Visited with my Beck Coaches

One Day at a Time !

Woodland

Last edited by Woodland; 11-08-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

OMG, Woodland, (turkey) compost envy. *serious compost envy!!!
Closed Thread