Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #31  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking My Own Birthday Present

Hi Coaches

It's my birthday today and I am coming back to Beck.
Officially I weight 276.8

I saw my weight go past 281 last month and other weeks I didn't even want to look. As usual, my life is all over the place but my focus is starting to narrow after a year of uncertainty.

DH is on an Air Canada flight as I write this. He is on his way back from Head Office on the Isle of Man. He was summoned there last week for interviews with two department heads. So far this year he has traveled to the Bahamas (January) for his interview, Costa Rica (February) for training, and now the Isle of Man (October) for the next stage. Each and every trip was proceeded by much anticipation and angst over the life changes about to come.

Apparently, (as it isn't crystal clear yet as it never seems to be in his corporate culture), he was offered a position at head office which requires us to move to the Isle of Man. Head Office is full of 20-somethings and 30-somethings. DH, who to me is the young guy being 5 years younger than me, is the old guy there! Yikes. And today, dear coaches and friends, I too am one year older reaching the fine age of 47. I have decided that carrying this extra weight makes me look old and it certainly makes me feel old hauling this weight around and I am wearing my body out mechanically for no good reason. Time for a change. Everything else is going to change why not me? And why not today?

So I need you guys. I don't want to meet a bunch of new people and start a new life knowing I'm not presenting my best self you know? First impressions matter.

And the sheer stress of what lies ahead CANNOT be solved with food. I have never really learned that yet and this coming few months are a really really good chance to develop non-food strategies to cope with stress. Those are my goals.

DH was told it would be okay to start his position here in Canada and that he was looking at 3-6 months for the move, depending on the immigration papers coming through. I qualify for a UK Ancestral Work Visa but have to get about 6 different certified copies of my lineage (birth certificates for grandfather, father, me plus marriage certificates for grandparents and parents). It's complicated by having a father who is ruled "incognisant" so he can't even apply for his own birth certificate (and so he can't get my grandfather's either)-I need an attorney for my dad's.

Anyway step one: today it's all about death certificates for my grandparents. Once have them I can apply to get their marriage certificate.
I'm going to need the full 6 months ot get this done. We'll see if The Universe will help me on this one. Stranger things have happened...

So thanks for being here -- big hellos to familiar faces and greetings to all you newbies (to me) and from me.

Coaches DO NOT LET ME OFF THE HOOK! I will inevitable try to wiggle away again and I can't afford to. I invite you to drop me an email here if I'm not around. You guys have been consistently woring day in day out and I need to get back on track as well. I'll be re-starting but need to clean up a bit and find my books! Will report in with progress later today.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today's challenge is a meal at MIL's. An aunt-in-law is in town. Supper at MIL's used to be the normal family gathering but for several years now it's been potluck at SIL's. Potluck means, of course, that I can bring something that I can eat a lot of no matter what else is served. I won't have that back up for today. So, my strategy is to eat light during the day and to be very careful about serving sizes this evening, keeping in mind that MIL uses a lot more fat in her cooking than I do.

WI: -0.3kg, Exercise: +60 105/1350 minutes for November, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I was just thinking about that Tolstoy quote in the context of eating in modern society. Rewriting it to something like "Overeaters are all alike, every sane eater is sane differently." Because it seems to me that our eating environment is so toxic right now that most of us can't be "normal" and a healthy weight. But once we veer from normal we all take different paths. It's something I've been thinking about as I make sure not to be judgemental about my brother's new girlfriend who has so many food rules that I'm afraid to have them over for supper. But it's working for her. And my way of eating looks "weird" to some people, too.

Beverlyjoy: Pain is hard. And I've certainly attempted medicating it with food, even though I know that naproxen and ice work better. Can you find a distracting project?
I would probably plan a big trip for a year or 18 months from now. (Actually taking the trip is less important than planning it for this purpose -- I always learn a ton of geography when I plan a trip, whether I actually take it or not).
Would you like to join me doing NaNoWriMo? it's not too late to catch up! Given your writing skills, you might get a kick out of it. It's wonderfully diverting to have a big goal to do for a month and there's a lot of on-line participation including a very active forum. You could write a novel about someone facing surgery and encountering health-related delays -- it might be therapeutic. Or write a novel about something completely unrelated which could be equally therapeutic and more diverting!

Yay, onebyone! I was thinking of you just this morning. Glad to see you here.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #33  
in development

Onebyone - I gather the Isle of Man is a pretty relaxed place. Manx cats originated here. It has the three-legged triskel badge. Manx (defunct but possibly revived by some language nuts) was a member of the Q Celtic language group with Irish and Scots Gaelic. Beaches. Weather.

A good place for an artist?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #34  
Queen of shifting minds

Height: 5'6-1/2"

Well, I made it through my little neurosis I weighed in the same this morning.

Welcome back onebyone, and happy birthday!!!!!!

gardnerjoy, I just went through the potluck thing. I think you have a sensible approach, you'll do fine as long as you stay aware.

BeverlyJoy, I'm sorry you are in pain I think it is just going to take a lot of awareness, and perhaps leaning on all of us a bit more in your challenging times. I have been drinking gobs of herbal tea when I have cravings, but mine is not pain driv en. I hope your surgery goes well. A good friend just went through foot surgery and she healed rather quickly, I hope you do as well.

Well, me? I'm off to date night with the hubs, wish me luck
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 255/218/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

This morning was weigh-in day. I lost 3.5 pounds for week 2. I'm happy with that number, but I'm still reminding myself that I should be happy with any loss, since my losses in the future will probably be smaller. Tonight some family members are coming over and we're going out for dinner, which has been a big trigger for me to overeat in the past, but I'm not going to today.

Credits for yesterday:
-Read ARC/response cards
-Ate everything slowly and completely on plan
-Went out to eat with a friend and didn't use that as an excuse to overeat - stayed on plan!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #36  
KAM

S/C/G: 163/154.5/133

Although I have had a very busy two days I have managed to stay OP, Yay! I am exhausted and heading to bed early for a good nights rest. I have a very busy weekend in front of me as well as a solid plan to keep myself on plan without breaking down.

I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!

WELCOME ONEBYONE AND SILVERBIRCH!

Grouse – Fantastic two days! I just loved your response “Oh good this means I have not eaten too much” I surely will use that one on myself. So many credits due for all the successes you have been achieving.

BBE – Kudos for passing on the cookies (any size cookies). I realized tonight while reading your post, you have the challenge of “free” food on so many occasions I will remind myself the next time free food presents itself to me, Remember BBE he passes on the freebies and gets the luxury of maintenance.

Gardnerjoy - Wow can I relate to the “too busy attitude and now I just don’t care” It is something I really need to work on as well. I certainly hope things slow down for you soon. I hope the dinner at MIL’s went well.

Woodland – Kudos exercising NO CHOICE! Feel great uh? Seems like we all are busy and feeling the fast pace before the holidays.

Beverlyjoy – Glad you finally have the surgery set, means you are moving in the right direction. So sorry for the challenge of all the pain. You could make a card to remind yourself food is nutrition. Food is not comfort. Food does not reduce stress. Lately I have been having hot herbal teas at night to relax and de-stress myself. There are some pretty yummy ones out there and some are specifically for reducing stress.

BelovedK – So glad to hear you are having a better day. Hope you had a great date night!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #37  
persist

Talking Nov 4 personals

BillBlueEyes Helloooo Friend. Happy to see you being so happy to be hum-drum.

an aside here: wasn't it a coffee commercial that used the words "hum-drum" in their ads? Was it Nescafe?

I digressed. Credit vous for all your continuing, conscious, day to day, Beckian acts.

Beverlyjoy SO SORRY to read of your good foot needing attention now! But HAPPY to read that it is getting better and that a date for your surgery has been set. This is good. As for suggestions re:stress/pain eating I think gardenerjoy's onto a good idea. I did nanowrimo too - but never finished the novel-in fact I did it just to write whatever I felt like that day. This year I was going to do a graphic novel but it seems I have other fish to fry. Maybe next year for me but she is right. Some kind of artistic pursuit is the only non food thing that has ever helped me release tension and stress and anger at being "in this position". Do you draw? paint? collage? scrapbook?

My Good (or Bad) Foot - a Journey of Love, Acceptance and Rememberance

Chapter One.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was a dark and stormy night etc.

Sometimes I have written letters to the parts of my body that are bothering me. I ask the parts to tell me what they would like me to do and I ask the parts how they are feeling. basically I just keep writing and writing, forcing a minimum of three handwritten (must be handwritten) pages from me. You'll be surprised how much wisdom is locked up inside us waiting to be released. we just have to ask. Anyway when you do find something that works let us know. I need the some tools for the same problem!

gardenerjoy I have not given a fig the past month or two about portion sizes or fat content. It was refreshing to read that you continue to be aware of such things and a great reminder to me to reign it in! I won't make my goals by eating with abandon - would that this were true.

silverbirch Thanks for the Isle of Man info. If I do end up there, (DH in the car tonight said there was still a chance to be in London. All will be revealled in the new contract whenever that happens.) I plan to join the "language nuts" and try to learn Manx. DH brought me back a kid's book called: Isle of Man Colouring Book & Manx Language Games.
for example Red = jiarg (pronounced "jerg" *but it doesn't say if it's a hard "j" or a soft "j"*) It reminds me of Hungarian where the words don't relate at all to English most of the time. A lot of straight memorization which is good for keeping the brain young. I think the local art scene exists there as it does everywhere but from a search online I can't find any ceramicists with their own kilns nor any printmakers, but I did find that you can join the BASKING SHARK WATCH as a volunteer! Basking sharks. I am sure it won't be long before I am persuaded to believe in fairies if I live there too. (They have two Fairy Bridges where you leave food for the fairies and must say hello to them or they will send mischief your way.) It seems like a very interesting and very ancient place. I would like it and when I didn't like it, I would fly away to Europe! Thanks again

BelovedK Nice to meet you. I hope you are having a great night out with Hubs. I was scared to jump on the scale this morning but happy to see a 270-something and not 280+! Yay for both of us.

grouse Hello grouse. Nice to meet you. Family gatherings are always food fests in my family and they continue to be a challenge. You sound like you've given yourself the Beckian Prime Directive: No Choice. I hope to hear you had a great night out. All the best!

DH is home now and has been passed out since he gave me an array of Isle of Man triskele-adorned items. He came home really sick. I think he's asleep for the night and I think it's time for me to get to bed too. I just wanted to come back here and check-in as promised.

CREDITS: for weighing in, that I did not drive to the drugstore and buy "a treat", that I drank some plain water and ate some fish that I returned here today and posted twice (2 credits for two posts).

WORKING ON: sitting down to eat, writing what I eat down, getting calorie and fat counts down, moving my body around and round and up and down.

Bye for now.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone

Lexxiss-waving hello

MinniePaul-hope you have a great day.

Esby- welcome!!! Just take those tasks slowly at any pace you feel comfortable at.

maryblu- waving hello to you and the pimply stars.

Woodland- good for you for fighting the urge to skip exercise.

BillBlueEyes-credit for rejecting the big cookies.

Beverlyjoy-oh well to last night's eating. I am so glad for you that you are finally getting the surgery. This has been hanging over you for so long. I am sorry you are in pain. The one thing guaranteed is that the more you weigh, the more pain you will be in. You are doing so well, so just do more of the same.

onebyone- so happy that you are back. Happy Birthday. I am almost 2 years older than you- and also have a November birthday. We are both Ottawa girls (well I used to be). We are both in about the same spot weight wise and we both have struggled like crazy this year. And we are both back after a hiatus. So lets just do this!!!

gardenerjoy-good plan for your dinner out.

silverbirch- waving hello.

BelovedK- hope you enjoyed your evening out with your DH

grouse-wow!!! 3.5 pounds in a week. 14 days on track is excellent.

McKt- yay for being OP during busy days. Glad you have a plan for the weekend- that's what gets us through!!

VICTORY for me. 3 days on the road and 2 nights in the hotel and no issues with food. Credit for making a plan and sticking to it. Credit for ignoring all McDonalds, Tim Hortons and so on. Credit for walking each night and doing my arm weights in the hotel last night. Credit for taking advantage and response cards and reading them.

That's all for now- happy Friday
Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At an event last night, the presentations just went on and on and on. I was antsy for the catered sandwiches for my dinner. Finally got to them at 8pm feeling annoyed, and fearing that overeating fixes annoyance. Well, ta da, I had a chicken roll up with lots of tomatoes, lettuce, and cukes, and I discarded the entire roll up white bread stuff. Skipped the brownies, cookies, and various liquid calories. CREDIT moi. It would have been an on-plan meal even at home, much less with my expanded limits for catered settings.

Exercise was fidgeting in my seat during the presentations. Tomorrow is another day.

onebyone - Happy Birthday - for your last birthday in Canada for the immediate future. May you have many, many more. So good to hear that the impending uncertainty of your move has a more definitive impending date. Either London or the Isle of Man sound exciting and full of new imagery to fire your artistry. What have you chosen for your two eating plans and for your exercise plan? Still doing wii? Looking forward to going the path with you getting ready for your move.

LOL at your creative combination of first sentences for a novel - certainly a best seller to begin It was the best of stormy nights, it was the worst of stormy nights. For sure it would be unique.

CeeJay - Yes, Yes, Yes, "Credit for making a plan and sticking to it" for a three day road trip; Kudos. Getting your road warrior under control puts you in a good place for staying the course.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good plan to use moderate serving sizes as your strategy of last resort. I find myself in that situation frequently, it seems. If I plan to use moderation, it works; If I fail to plan, I find myself eating more that I wished I had.

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since." - [F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (1925)]

Beverlyjoy - Yep, "treat yourself as well as you would a good friend" - you deserve to coddle yourself a bit as you wrestle the foot issues. Perhaps it would help if you named the different feet to avoid confusion. May I modestly suggest: Prince, formally known as the good foot; and Lizzy Borden for the foot awaiting surgery.

silverbirch - Thanx for the Manx info. Yay for google for immediately yielding visuals of the "three-legged triskel badge" - can hardly even imagine how a visual person like onebyone will be able to incorporate the "Celtic symbol of three conjoined spirals" into her art works. Hope you are well, thriving, and on-plan.

KAM (McKt) - You're at a good place when you're staying on-plan when super busy; Kudos.

grouse - Congrats for a HUGE, 3.5 pound, scale loss in one week. With Kudos for recognizing that staying the course will have more modest loses in future weeks. As well as Kudos for the clear plan, "but I'm not going to today."

BelovedK - Yay for plowing through that which needs to be plowed through and moving forward.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41
Make a New to-Do List

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet):

Plan and monitor what you eat. . . .
You can also experiment with having a general plan about what you're going to eat and then decide before each meal what you're actually going to eat. For example, you might plan to have about a certain number of calories (or a portion size) of whatever protein, carbohydrates, and fat you want. But the moment you fine yourself eating too much or not eating healthfully, go back to planning in advance. DON'T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE ABOUT THIS.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 262.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #40  
Green Tomatoes

MIL tried, bless her heart. She kept complaining that the chicken looked sickly without the skin while the rest of us said, "No, mom, that's how chicken looks at our house!"

I've exercised two of four days in November so far. My word count is where I want it even if my exercise minutes are not. This is going to take some adjusting and balancing.

I'm off to host my very own write-in. A write-in is where NaNoWriMo people get together, usually at a coffee shop, bookstore, or library, to write. It's actually quite fun and most of the writing I've done so far this year has been at write-ins! My write-in will be at a cool independently owned coffee shop in a refurbished older building.

WI: -0.6kg (new low), Exercise: +0 105/1350 minutes for November, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi becksters - yesterday was a healthy day. I am grateful. I was willing to do some meditation. I didn’t want to - but, I put in a CD into my player and concentrated on relaxing and feeling positive.

Billbe has named my foot (formerly known as the good foot), Prince! I laughed so loud. Yesterday I went to Physical Therapy and the folks said that my brace on ‘Prince’ might hurt for a couple of days until my foot gets used to it. I am doing the exercises they gave me. I did 8 minutes on the exercise bike there. It had all the ‘do-dads’ and I burned 9 calories. LOL Surgery is scheduled for December 2 - I’ll believe it when it happens.

I’ve been researching and trying different Green Smoothies. Lexxiss is right…it’s important to start with a smaller amount of greens. I was amazed to find out that when the smoothies fruits and veggies are broken down in the blender it opens the cell walls of the foods and you get a burst of vitamins and minerals. They are tasting pretty good and make me feel good.

Thanks to folks to had ideas about dealing with physical pain. So many good ideas and just plain caring. I surely appreciate it.

Billbe - Yes! I love calling my foot (formerly known as the good foot) Prince. I cracked up reading it. Thanks. Major credit for getting through your meeting/presentation and making the food available work AND not eating the brownies.

Ceejay - good reminder that less weight will make my recovery some easier. I am doing a hooray happy dance in celebration of your many credits while out of town. Dr. Beck always says that each time we resist it strengthens that muscle and our reserve. Well done.

Onebyone - So glad to see you again. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I like your idea of doing something ‘artsy craftsy’ . I love to make these very pretty bookmarks. I think I’ll start working on these for xmas gifts. Credit for NOT going to the drugstore for a goodie. Sounds like you are making good progress in your Beck daily tasks. You are facing a big change with the move. I understand why you want to use this as another reason to stay with your plan and the Beck techniques.

Mckt - I am so glad you are able to stay with your plan despite being tired and busy. Planning is so helpful - when you know what you are facing. You said - You could make a card to remind yourself food is nutrition. Food is not comfort. Food does not reduce stress. I actually did this a couple of weeks ago. But, haven’t been willing to live it. I need to remind myself very often. Teas are a good idea too. Thanks.

Grouse - wonderful to see the scale go down again!! You have a great attitude as you face your supper out tonight!

Belovedk - you said: I think it is just going to take a lot of awareness, and perhaps leaning on all of us a bit more in your challenging times. That is such a kind offer..thanks so much. I probably will be ‘needy’ as I go through all this. I am grateful folks will go through it with me and understand how it all relates to living with food. Hope you have a nice supper out with DH.

Silver birch - HI!

Gardnerjoy - I love your idea of planning a trip and learning about the place - even if I don’t get there. I do like writing. I don’t know if I could do it when I don’t feel good. Worth a try!!! Too bad you can't 'bring something' to the dinner. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Esby - so glad you posted. I think you will find Dr. Becks techniques as a blueprint to living with food in a healthy and sane manner.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-05-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #42  
persist

Smile nightly check-in

Hi Coaches

Just quick check-in for today. I don't have either of the beck books at hand and I haven't chosen my two foodplans either. I will ponder both of these issues when I am offline. I did get a surprise TOM. Holy cow bodies are something. TMI I know but geez. Anyway it menas the scale should fall a bit and that will cheer me up and move me forward. Less IS More! haha!

CREDITS: ate sitting down
80% conscious eating
weighed myself this morning

WORKING ON: foodplan to commit to
exercise plan to commit to
finding my beck books
writing out new ARC cards

McKt Credit for staying OP amidst hectic times and credit as well for planning a sane food weekend. Nice to meet you too!

CeeJay I am officially publically adopting you as my Beck Buddy and I am going to be on the lookout for your disapperance if you do that again as I have too! I have to say, with all those coincidences we just have to be there for each other and we just have to succeed. Really. right? Right. Let's just GET OVER whatever it is that is stopping us from shedding this heart-constricting, life-shortening-aging of the mind body and spirit obesity. It's the start of a new year CeeJay. Let's commit to trying for one whole year-really trying no excuses-ok? You can email me privately if you like but I am committing to this anyway. Hope you do too!

BillBlueEyes My request for DH was to bring me back triskele-emblazoned tourist fare from the IOM. He did not disappoint. Underneath the sterling silver studs in the blittle box they came in was the following explanation of the three-legged symbol:
Quote:
Three Legs of Man
Ancient Sun Symbol

Quocunque Jeceris Stablit
Whichever Way You Throw Me I will Stand

Is this is not an apt symbol for dealing with the daily challenge of food and overeating? I will overcome/persist in victory/keep going/move forward/leave it behind/ I will not be defeated/I'm still standing

It's a great symbol.

Sorry about the long-windedness last night. You handled those bored emotions well. Credit.

gardenerjoy you're hosting a write-in! Awesome. Wish I could be there. I love being in groupos where like-minded souls come together and work together but stay to themselves haha! Writing is a lonely pursuit though so it's a good change to be with others. Enjoy it.

May the Muse be With You.

Credit for letting your mil's observations of the chicken pass on by...

Beverleyjoy Glad to hear Prince is behaving within normal parameters given the circumstances ie. that all is well! I find it tough to give myself what I need. I think I feel like "I shouldn't need to _____" that I should "tough it out" or ignore it or something other than feel my feelings and deal with myself. It's a cliche amongst overeaters that we "eat our feelings". Uh yeah. I still do that. But not as often. I am glad to read you are soothing yourself and finding ways to feel better. It helps me to remember that I too am allowed to do the same. Thanks for that.

Until tomorrow Becksters.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 255/218/140

Thank everyone for your encouragement and praise.

Today makes 16 days since I started and it's been surprising very easy so far. Today was my first little struggle. I went to costco and had a few samples and after that I just wanted to eat and I had a sudden urge to binge. I thought about buying something from the food court but I didn't. I thought about going to a drive thru and getting something, but instead as soon as I got in my car I read my ARC and a response card and drank a lot of water. I told myself that it wasn't worth it at all and that if I would get over this, it would be easier next time I was struggling.

I got home, ate dinner as slowly as I could making sure that I wasn't eating emotionally (since that would easily lead to eating more and more), and eventually the urge to binge went away. So a big credit for me for not giving in and strengthening my "resistance muscle" instead of my "giving-in muscle"!!

I used to never really give myself credit for avoiding binging or eating normally. I thought it was something that I should always do anyway, so there was no reason to praise myself for doing what I was supposed to do. It really stood out to me in the book on day 4 where it talks about how you DO deserve credit because you're not naturally thin. That's something that's different this time and it's helping.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #44  
KAM

S/C/G: 163/154.5/133

Hello My Beck Buddies! Welcome to the weekend…

I had a great week OP. This weekend is my daughters 16th birthday so there are all kinds of gatherings set in place. I am grateful that cake is not a temptation for me. I am a bread cheese and wine gal and none of the three will be around this weekend. Now there some solid planning on my behalf.

I traded SBD for WW this week and here is my summary of the last 7 days. Credits to moi.
Exercise = 3.5 hours
Fitness points earned 15
Weekly points used 14
Pounds lost 3

CeeJay - Lots of kudos to you! Victory it right! That’s awesome that you can be on the road and OP! Now that is what I call success.

BBE – Good job on the roll up! At least you got the fidgeting in your seat, you could have been sleeping in your seat with less calories burned.

Gardnerjoy - Love the MIL analogy of the chicken looks sickly without the skin. Funny how we adapt, because now chicken with skin looks wrong to eat. I hope your write in went well. How exciting, how many time have you done the NaNoWriMo?

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for a healthy day! I hope Prince adjusts to the brace soon (too funny).

OnebyOne - You are off to a great start! With a nice Working On plan in place. Kudos!

Grouse - Congratulations on avoiding the binge! That would have been so easy but you did a great job resisting. Lots and lots of credits for you! That's quite inspirational for me as well. I will remember your post the next time I have that urge to have some fast food.

KAM

Last edited by McKt; 11-05-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lunch was left over left-overs, so to speak. I gathered up all the little containers in the fridge to fill my Pyrex dish - all veggies, mostly green; CREDIT moi. I feel self righteous, smug, and satisfied when I do that. We are so capable of leaving left-overs until they grow green stuff and then feel bad that we've wasted food.

Gym was gym; CREDIT moi. Overheard one of the regulars talking, with scorn, about the guys where he works who can't lift certain containers, "just let themselves go." Good reminder to me that I can now lift stuff that I couldn't a few years ago. When the first frost killed the large urn'ed plant in front of our house - a yearly affair - DW asked me to get the cart and bring it out back; I just picked it up and carried it. CREDIT moi for simply staying in sufficient shape to lift something.

maryblu - Waving. <sigh> ... fire your coach, or keep your coach, but kindly stop talking about it - at least in my newspapers. It's a family matter; keep it local, LOL. DW asked me, reasoning that there had to be a worst record team every year, if that meant that a coach had to be fired each year - a sacrifice to the win-lose nature of the game. Makes sense to me; the gladiators did it that way.

onebyone - Yep, the Isle of Man has a perfect motto for you, "Whichever Way You Throw Me I will Stand." That's you all right; whatever you're whacked with you Stand and continue. Kudos for "80% conscious eating" - that's got to be one of Beck's best strategies for me since I was a gobbler without awareness.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on keeping your word count to plan. Your consistency with NaNoWriMo inspires me to keep posting first lines in support of your efforts. LOL at chicken looking "sickly" without the skin, and smiling that it wasn't just you, but "the rest of us" who told your MIL that that's the new normal. Been pondering your thought that "every sane eater is sane differently" due to the general toxic food environment. Methinks you're on to something. Sane eating is no longer the default. One has to step off the train, put oneself outside of the crowd to eat sanely. That's an awful realization.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - [Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (1813)]

Beverlyjoy - I saw a woman walking down the street using a knee walker and, of course, immediately thought of you. I'd never heard of such a thing until you mentioned yours, and now I've seen one in use. Pretty neat. She looked happy, as if this was just the normal way to walk, with a big removable cast on her walker leg. She seemed to be moving faster, looked more stable, and was taking up less space on a busy sidewalk than she would have on crutches. And she had her backpack mounted on the knee walker.

Kudos for giving yourself credit for a stint on the exercise bike at your physical therapy - for accepting that you're where you are and going from there.

maryann - (Checking in on another thread) - Congrats on 4 of 8 completed; keep on keeping on. Sweet Kudos that going without sugar "left me rocking this weekend."

KAM (McKt) - Ahhhh .. Sweet 16 - Happy Birthday to your DD along with supportive thoughts for both of you as you navigate through difficult years. Kudos for "some solid planning" to have the bread cheese and wine out of the house. [Yep, sleeping would have burned less calories, LOL.]

grouse - Ouch for the evil samples at Costco; Kudos for your thoughtful, methodical, and determined response. And Extra Kudos for accepting all that as credit worthy - nice demo to all of us how to handle such situations.

Readers -
Quote:
day 41
Make a New to-Do List

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet):

Plan and monitor what you eat. . . .
My experience has been that many people decide to stop writing down their food plans prematurely. They overestimate their ability to keep their eating in line without using this discipline. So don't be surprised if you find that you've stopped too soon. Don't get self-critical. Just go back to using this strategy when you need to.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 262.
Closed Thread