Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 06:01 PM   #196  

Height: 5'-2"

Right!!! That's the ticket!!!
So hon, cleanliness this week, exercise next...
Old 10-01-2002, 07:38 PM   #197  
a work in progress...

Squeak...Does this friend have any redeeming qualities that overshadow the sucky ones? Doesn't sound like it from this vantage point. If not...say bye bye! Does the boy see the manipulative side of her?

(Forgive my nosiness, but since I have no life, people who do fascinate me!)

I had another question, but I forgot it...
Old 10-01-2002, 09:11 PM   #198  

ok, this subject makes me want a vent an old peeve of mine.

Please indulge me here. Ok, *I know I am generalizing....but this has been ticking me off for years!*

Why does it seem that many women put their husbands or boyfriends ahead of their women friends?

I swear this is the truth, but I've always heard of guys going off and making plans with their guy friends - sure, they might check in first with their girlfriend or wife, but they still *go ahead and make plans*

many women will only make plans with their women friends after they find out that their guy is hanging with his friends.

What is up with that???? Am I the only one? Can I get a witness here?

Friendship is not to be taken lightly. Please tell me you chicks are not like that.

end of rant - terrigrrrl
Old 10-01-2002, 10:32 PM   #199  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Terri - I HATE women (and men that I am friends with for that matter) who do that!!!!! I have had a few guys where we would spend a lot of time with, talk to every day and then they meet a girl and it becomes "squeak? who is squeak?" (actually I have one of those men to thank for my nickname - the ONLY thing I have left from that friendship)
But I guess there has to be some balance. Part of the reason my boy and I broke up (almost 3 years ago now - ahhhhhhh - it makes it sound so long ago) was because I went out with my friends a lot more often then with him. He was feeling a little neglected. I saw him maybe once a week, and he thought it meant I didn't care and was hurt. But he never asked. I just thought that he wanted time to go out with his friends, and had more going on in his life. Oops. But anyway...

Kat - the very short answers to your questions are:
1. When she is sober, and not being a manipulative pain in the ***, she can be fun. Just comes in small amounts of time. And not being directly in the situation as much anymore, it is much easier to say what is wrong with the friendship. And she at least didn't try to date the boy because of me.
2. Does he know - well, he learned. He didn't at first. But she is cute and flirts with any guy with a pulse so they are easily distracted. And I tried very hard to protect him as much as I could.
The whole thing has been a mess. This all is acutally the shorter, less complicated version.

Den is right! Minds are a wonderful thing when they live in the gutter. Plus she is right about the muscle thing, Ellis. Soon you will be buff and will be able to kick some ***.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:43 PM   #200  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Terri-YUP!!! DISGUSTO!! I had a friend who I ALWAYS made time for, sometimes to the disadvantage of my family, and when she moved in with her now husband she decided that taking him a cup of coffee while he was in the shower was more important than anything i had to offer!!! I finally wised up and she is no longer a friend. It took a while, but I realized finally that it was all about HER needs, and essentially I had to keep her happy in order to keep the friendship. VERY UNHEALTHY!!! THAT is why I am now so adamant about people getting rid of those kinds of people. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!! And i think that a lot of us here need to learn to take better care of ourselves!!!

Ellis and Squeak- YUP!!! And when you are buff you can help Squeak kick my butt!!!

katrina-We want the details of YOUR life too!! I think my life is boring, but I tell other people and they sometimes find it interesting! WE may be fascinated by YOUR life!!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 AM   #201  
the kid's counting on me!

Hey girlies. Thanks Kat and Den for the exercise encouragement. Once I get going it is fun actually.

I have been busy with work and with refinishing my tables. I finally gathered the pictures of my old and new kitchen and will be giving them to my sister who has a scanner and then I'll probably email to Ellis so she can post them somewhere in here for you all to see...is that okay Ellis? I was supposed to mail them to Ellis about two months ago....but, meanwhile sis got a scanner.

I'm feeling better physically. Nervous a bit about our planned trip to Disney World this November. I'm a white knuckle flyer. I hate to look or act anxious in front of my DD. She is afraid to fly now because last time we flew DD's ears bothered her on the plane. She is really scared that her ears will hurt. She is also a bit shy and is concerned that the characters will approach her with their big ole heads and scare her...or that I'll call them over to us and embarass her. I promised that I would not talk to any characters and wouldn't call them over unless she asked me too. It's hard when your Moms are both big kids and silly and like to be goofy...pardon the pun.

I heard about these ear plugs that reduce ear pressure when flying...anyone ever hear about them or try them...don't know where to buy them.

Well, gotta get some sleep. Love, Soozie
Old 10-02-2002, 07:42 AM   #202  

soozie - I don't know how you feel about this.......but I have a friend who suffers from severe flying anxiety. She deals with it by taking a tranquilizer just before the flight - that's the only time she takes one.... so that's how she justifies it. It helps her remain calm and get through the flight... hmmm - I may ask her for one the next time I go for root canal

Disney World sounds like so much fun though! you will have a great time. My daughter was 9 when we finally took her and she also did not want to get to close to the characters (this has been a recurring theme, we finally stopped taking her for an annual Santa visit because she was always scared of him too) - so we just focused on the rides! yippee! all 3 of us had a blast - adults too!

If you really don't want to fly.........maybe Amtrak is an option??

Squeak - you are right - it does happen with men too. My oldest friend ( known him since I was 13) has done this to me at times. Since college, we've lived far a part - so we stay in touch through calls, the mail, etc. Well, I can always tell when he has a new man in his life - I don't hear from him!!! I've complained about it - so he has gotten better.

Ellis - will you teach me how to become buff! I wanna be buff!!

ok Kat - spill - you must have some stories of your own, just waiting to come out

Den - couldn't your friend have helped her guy in shower and remained your friend too?? I'm thinking about what you said about jettisoning losers and users. The reason I have such a small circle of friends is because I finally got to the point in life where I would no longer tolerate users. I've since believed that we teach people how we deserve to be treated.

too much philosophy for one early morning before my first cup.. terrigrrrl

PS - Squeak - sounds like there are more interesting details in the story there
Old 10-02-2002, 08:11 AM   #203  
a work in progress...

Oh, Soozie...November is a WONDERFUL time to go to Disney! We were there last Nov, arrived the day after Thanksgiving. That weekend was slightly crowded, but very tolerable, but the weekdays following were heavenly! No crowds, no lines, perfect weather...not too hot, AND they were decorated for Christmas! I could go on forever. It is such a magical place...I just loved it! Oh yeah...my kids did too! And they're old(er--16 & 10.) I never heard of the ear plug things, but I flew with my little CD player, headphones and a wonderful cd called "Chopin & Champagne." I closed my eyes for the two hours...it was a pleasureable trip...and I am a white knuckle flyer too, (was even more so, 2 months after 9/11.) Maybe a nice audiobook for your little one to listen to or some Disney tunes to put her in the mood would be a good distraction for her! And gum! You guys will LOVE IT!!

Well, ranting about Disney World has eaten up all my time for now...gotta help the boy get ready for school...do they EVER learn what goes with what? Come to think of it ...they don't, you should see the combinations dh comes up with!

see you later...

ps...den, terri...oh you would be fascinated by all the nut case stories in my family...dh's family too...they actually make me enjoy my boring life! I'm sure I could conjure up a tale or two...hmmm, let me see....Once upon a time...

oops! the boy! I forgot! gotta run!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 10-02-2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:58 AM   #204  
the kid's counting on me!

Hey Kat....thanks for the info. I'm starting to get excited about it today. And looking at our tickets the flight is only 2 1/2 hours...a mini flight so that shouldn't be too difficult.

I will look for an audiobook for the DD. She'll like that. I always bring a bag of supplies to ease my mind when we fly...snacks, water, gum, trashy magazines (ie People), games for kiddo, books for kiddo, crayons, paper, walkman...guess we're pulling the fisher-price blunt tipped scissors out of the travel arts and crafts kit!

Also, Terrigrrl...YOU best believe there will be some artificial relaxation juice going into this body that day...once, when we were traveling my regular family doc was out on maternity leave. I had to go to one of her associates and ask for a prescription for my tranq of choice and convince him that it was just for flying and that I was not a drug addict.

He wrote the prescription, finally, for TWO tablets only....TWO tablets, can you believe it? What if I gag on one or drop one? "everyone stand back, I dropped my pill, don't move, get the out of my way...don't step on it you , I need that thing." Can you imagine? Anyway, I'm stocked up for this trip if I need it. I'm going to see a therapist friend who is going to do some hypnotherapy with me and make me some hypnosis tapes to listen to. That will be nice. I've done some hypnosis with her before and it was very effective. But, back up drugs will be safely stored in the handbag...

Love, Soozie
Old 10-03-2002, 05:48 AM   #205  

Hi everyone
I'm new here! Just found the site and looking forward to chatting with you all. I'm a single lesbian. My weights been up and down for many years. I have been dieting now for 7 weeks and have lost a stone. About another 4 stone to lose.
Jin x
Old 10-03-2002, 06:49 AM   #206  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jinxii,
Welcome to this crazy bunch of gals. This is the coolest forum on the net, with such a wonderful diverse group of women. ANyway I wont go on and on as I usually do, but make yourself at home!
Virginia
Old 10-03-2002, 07:16 AM   #207  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Jinxii!! Welcome to our world
Come back and tell us all about yourself. And congratulations on losing the stone!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:24 AM   #208  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Jinx.

Hey - the milk is sour and has ruined my coffee! Now I can be pissed off for the day! (Well, maybe not - there is Hershey chocolate in this house so I'd better get over it!)

Drat! I'm off to get a refill with canned milk!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:57 AM   #209  
a work in progress...

Welcome Jinxii!

Stupid American question here...how much is a stone? Cuz I think I may have a couple of boulders to lose!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:59 AM   #210  

Hi

Thanks for the welcome Virginia. Ellis and Ruth.
So what to tell without boring you all silly! I live in the UK with my 14 year old daughter. I teach Primary ages 4-11 years. Really enjoying working part-time at the moment, because I get time to do other things! Mind you still finding excuses why I never got around to exercising today...
My partner and I split up earlier this year after 2 years, so still getting used to being single again really!
Spend most of my spare time with my daughter, when she can fit me in amongst her hectic social life!! Love reading, spending time with friends, driving, holidays...I warned you! Are you still awake?!
I haven't been following a diet as such, just counting calories, fat grams etc. Feels like such a long way to go at the moment, will be really nice to talk with others.

Ruth, I hope your day gets better Sure you will find something to take your mind off the chocolate, although it's making me hungry just thinking about it !

Take care all,
Jin x
Closed Thread