Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 09:43 PM   #151  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh dear, I'm so sorry, Kat darling. Peed your pants, huh? That makes ME laugh!

Okay, 1 tsp of cider vinegar in a glass of water. One to three times a day. I know it's not proven, but it ALWAYS works for me. I've been using it for about 5 years now, and I've hardly been sick at all. I used to catch every cough and cold around.
I used to take it once every day, but now I just take it when someone in the family is sick. Or if I feel that I'm coming down with something. Like right now... the entire family's been down sick with a cough/cold for 2 weeks. Hacking and sneezing like you wouldn't believe. But am I sick? (knock knock) NO!!
(And I am NOT responsible for forcing my family to take cider vinegar... it's there for the taking)

And the puffer? What the heck are those thingys called? Ventilator? For my occasional asthma. Inhaler. Anyhow, it's handy when you've got a cough or cold... helps you to breath easier.
Doctor Ellis.

Has anyone here used an elliptical machine? It feels really weird to use.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:54 AM   #152  
Is it Friday yet?

Yea Ellis, you had me crackin' up here too... A mix of laughing and grossed out!
I have an elliptical machine and love it! I bought it a few months ago - promptly threw out my back doing some strenuous work (ok, I was bending over to pick up my bathroom garbage can ) and have only been using it 5 min. at a time...

Dentrassi - Yea, scary is right... poor baby had labored breathing, panting (and cat's DON'T pant), her eyes closed real tight and she curled up in a tight ball. If you touched her she'd make this weird moaning cry. They gave her a shot of antihystamine & cortizone in the vet ER and about 4 hours later her breathing slowed. No, never ever again are we going through that.

Crappy morning... I fell on one of the cat's toys (huge plastic doughnut with ball inside) while walking towards Maia to see what she was chewing on (sounded like glass, it was plastic - they broke 3 vertical blinds last night). Before my knee hit the ground (yeah, rug burn!), I felt my foot literally try to fold in half (as in big toe trying to bend over the top of my foot) - I also tweaked my back again and put a silver dollar sized bruise on my shoulder when I hit the corner of the table in the front room. I've got my foot iced and a small bruise starting around the base of my big toe... I don't think I broke it, but it smarts pretty good. I'm wondering if my subconscious didn't do this on purpose so I can't do anything???? Vacation is in 1 week and 4 days.... if I don't kill myself first.

Terri
Old 09-26-2002, 01:48 PM   #153  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Oh No Punkinseed
So sorry to hear of your CATastrophy!! Seriously, I hope you have no serious problems arise from it. Keep your feet up as much as you can and relax. Will check in tomorrow to see how you are.
Virginia
Old 09-26-2002, 03:28 PM   #154  
Is it Friday yet?

LOL! Virginia!!! CATastrophy... I didn't even think of that and I'm usually the quick witted one!!!
My toe's fine, no swelling or bruising now and it's fine to walk on. I'm shocked though because I *felt* how far it bent - guess I have good ligaments... I broke my left foot in '94 so I know what a broken foot feels like - this ain't it at all.

However, my stupid rug burn is gonna make me cry like a baby! Ouuuuch!

Terri
Old 09-26-2002, 09:12 PM   #155  

Oh my gosh, Terri.... you're killin' me! I'm sorry... I just have such a vivid imagination. Everytime someone hurts themselves I giggle. It's a terrible habit... I inherited it from my grandmother. My gosh, every time I read your post I just want to roll around on the floor clutching my sides.
Rug burn.... maybe you should have an oatmeal bath. Do you have a blender? Throw a couple of cups of oats in it and grind them finely. Then throw them in your bath.
I hope you're feeling better tomorrow, sweetie. Honestly.

Yesterday at the gym I did 10 minutes on the treadmill, then 10 minutes on the exercise bike, and then TRIED to do 10 minutes on the elliptical, but could only do 5. PHEW!!! What a killer! You're lucky you've got one at home!
xo
Old 09-27-2002, 02:14 AM   #156  
the kid's counting on me!

hi girls. Oh, Terri, major ouch girlfriend...hope you're okay!!!! BE CAREFUL....vacation in the distance, no time to get big boo-boos!

Ellis, there is an eliptical at my gym. Its a lifestride or something like that. It is really smmooooooth. I love the feeling. The first time that I got on I did about three minutes. Since I had almost fainted one day when the trainer was working with me she cautioned me about staying on too long. She said it elevates your heart rate rapidly. Now I can do 10 minutes. I had worked up to 30 before I stopped going to the gym. I'll get back to 30 again...soon I hope.

talk to you tomorrow. Soozie
Old 09-27-2002, 05:47 AM   #157  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Default New Here...

Good morning ladies,
I think I may have finally found a place where I belong.
A little about me. I'm 30 yrs. old, 2nd marriage, bisexual, have 2 kids from my first marriage. Son will be 12 in Dec. and daughter will be 9 in Dec. I work 2 jobs. P/t mornings in a breakfast cafe and full time evenings in a restaurant. I need to lose about 10-15 lbs altogether and have lost 5 lbs so far. Started going to the gym this week on a regular basis. Thought I have a years membership, might as well use it! LOL Oh, and I live in Simcoe Ontario Canada. I see there are some other Canadians on this thread too!
I'm not following any particular plan, but just watching what I eat and controlling portion sizes and exercising.
I can't chat long as I have to jump in the shower and get ready for work.
Anyways, I hope to make some lasting friends here who will all share in life, and support each other through this weightloss journey we follow!
Have a great day and if I'm back in time later, I'll pop back in. If not, I'll chat with you all later.
Have a great day!

Kelly
Old 09-27-2002, 07:40 AM   #158  

Welcome Kelly!! Good for you going back to the gym!

Soozie, thanks for your comment re: the elliptical... I'll be careful. I thought there must be something dreadfully wrong with me because I could only do 5 minutes. Obviously I need to work UP to 10!
Oh, and I just figured out what the emergency clip is for on the treadmill.

Terri darling... how's your poor bod? Are you okay? xo
Old 09-27-2002, 07:47 AM   #159  
a work in progress...

Good Morning Alterna-babes!

I'm feeling much more cheerful today, no thanks to the weather...rain, rain, rain...I have been exercising and eating well...it really makes a big diff in the mood dept.

Gotta go feed the boy...back later...
Old 09-27-2002, 08:18 AM   #160  

Glad you're feeling better, Kat! hugs...
Old 09-27-2002, 09:10 AM   #161  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Welcome Kelly
Ellis or anyone what is an elliptical machine. I do not think there is one at my the gym i go to. There is a cross trainer, and that sure works the *** off ya. I tried it for the first time last night. Wow, what a workout. Are the rest of you weight training too, or are you just doing cardio.
Kat- Glad you are feeling better, exercise can really brighten ones spirit.
Ellis- YOu really crack me up! YOu have the greatest outlook on life.
Take care chickadees!

Virginia
Old 09-27-2002, 11:17 AM   #162  

Thanks Virginia for asking about an elliptical.

I've been meaning to ask and just felt shy about it -

I exercise at home through walking or the treadmill - so I don't know much about other machines........ one of these days I'll get my nerve up to walk into a gym. What I really need to do is learn how to do some resistance training.

Is that what life is sometimes? one long list of things to get to?

Terri - I send a kiss for your boo boo

Ellis - wow! on your exercising - I'm not worthy

Kelly - nice to meet you

Ok, gotta run to get some work done y'all.

Oh, little measure of joy - down 2 more lbs this morning - I think that brings it to 11

terrigrrrl
Old 09-27-2002, 11:34 AM   #163  

Hey girls how is everyone who was poorly feeling? glad i'm on this side of the water with all you poorly folks knocking around!!

Well weigh in this morning and have lost a total of nine pounds in 2 weeks, not bad because have hardly done any exercise apart from the mammoth walk the other day.

The puppy has had her second shot so as from next week I will have no choice but to get out and walk, as a 13 week old labrador who is growing like you wouldn't believe won't let me sit around when she could be flinging herself around on the beach.

Does anyone work night shift? just want to know if it is better to try and eat during the day between sleeping and not eat at all while I am awake during the night, or just shift mealtimes around and have them at night. Does that make sense?

catch you all soon, tooty8
Old 09-27-2002, 11:38 AM   #164  
Is it Friday yet?

Greetings from clutzville! and happy Friday!

Kelly - Welcome to our wild little group!!

Ellis - Yea, I laughed too. Actually while I was still sitting on the floor thinking I'd just broken my foot I was thinking "oh screw it, I've got cruise control and someone can carry my butt onto the boat - I'm goining on vacation dammit!!!". My Mom's more concerned for me than I am, but I guess that's typical...

Kat - You sound much better! Glad you're outta the blues...

Terrrri - Aaawe, thank you for the boo-boo kiss! I had a giggle last night when my middle kitty, Stella started licking my foot. My first thought was "awww, she's kissing it better" - then I realized it was probably the minty icey-hot stuff she was licking off... so much for loving affection.

Ok, laundry list of hurts - my foot (mostly all my toes) and knee, my neck and back are stiff. Bruise on my shoulder, arm and rug burn on my knee... Thankfully, the foot's not broken, but I think I did either sprain or just pull a few ligaments around most of my toes - one of them has a tiny bruise. I rented a few movies to watch this weekend so I can just rest. Saturday night I have our 2nd annual Cowboy Poetry and Music night here on our ranch which I'm helping set up, etc... so, I'll just have to be the gimpy one I guess. Thanks for all your well wishes!

Well, Mom always said if you're gonna do something, do it right!

Ok, back to work...

Terri
Old 09-27-2002, 11:59 AM   #165  

Oh phew, Terri... I was afraid you'd be mad at me for laughing. Now I can really let loose. hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Cowboy Poetry and Music night? What a hoot! That must be so much fun. Ranch? You have a ranch? Did I miss something? Can we city folk have a Cowboy Poetry and Music night, or is it exclusive to ranchers? That makes me think... I haven't watched a Western in YEARS! Maybe I'll rent some...
And the boat... you don't mind if we come along on your vacation, DO you?
Take good care of yourself, sweetie... I'm serious about the oatmeal bath.

Virginia, what a sweet thing to say... thank you. You perked me up just when I was feeling a little crappy.

What's an elliptical? I have no idea. I think it's sort of a cross between a stair-climber and a crosstrainer. You've got your feet on these thingys... like the stair-climber... but instead of going up and down they go in a circular forward (or backward) motion. And you can change the incline so that you're going uphill or downhill.
It requires incredible balance to let go of the bars. Something I haven't mastered yet. Although I CAN let go on the treadmill now. It wasn't until I almost slipped off the end that I realized what the emergency clip was for. I refuse to use it. I'd rather die. As well as stopping the treadmill, I figure it probably emits some blaring siren to let everyone know that you've fallen off.
I can just picture myself lying prostrate on the floor with dozens of people gathered around me proffering water bottles.

Oh, and yes... I'm doing weight training, too. It's really good for you .... muscle burns more calories than fat. Do it, Virginia. It's great to feel the muscle burn. (sort of)

Tooty, good job on losing weight! You go girl!! Ummm, can't help you with the meal management thing. I'm still working on my first coffee, and I can't make head nor tail of your question.
Anyone here on nightshifts?

And Terrigrrrrl, if I can join a gym, so can you (because nobody has a bigger inferiority complex than ME!). I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was so inhibited, but now I just don't give a damn... I feel so good that I'm doing something for myself. And I HAVE to go because I'm paying for it. You'll work up the nerve to do it one day, and when you do, you're going to feel fantastic!!

later darlings...
Closed Thread