Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 11:04 PM   #106  
Hot Stuff

Geez, terrigrrl...she sounds perfect! If things don't work out I might be interested....oh wait...I'm married and not bisexual. *drat* Foiled again! Sounds like she has a great attitude, too...friendship first. No pressure. So get dolled up, and have a great time! I'm hanging in there, still in the midst of dental work, hating my job, needing a vacation, you know...the usual. Thanks for asking.

Squeaker, that's it! First I had double bubble, but I know it's not from a chewing gum ad, so I nixed that. I signed up for a ceramics class once, but quit after I found out we had to make things. I thought it was a stress-relief class where we got to break things. Bummer.

Den, you and DH definitely get the Geek of the Week award!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 01:08 AM   #107  
the kid's counting on me!

Hey Den, that is definitely geekafied. Unreal. Actually, maybe you two (Squeak and Den...geekettes) could tutor me in Shakespere...did I even spell his name right? I've only read King Lear, Midsummer's Night Dream, and Hamlet...I never even read MacBeth or Romeo and Juliet!!!

Terrigrrl, hate to sound like Mother Hen but since this thread was originally called Lesbian Mom...maybe I can take the mom role for a moment...
now, a few things to consider...
I think you said that you and your DH have an open relationship
if so then you are cool there...however, I do think open relationships
can be difficult cause what happens if you start feeling more drawn to
the new partner and decide you want to be with that person fulltime??
Does hubby get tossed to the wayside, or do you try not to get too
involved? I'm a firm believer in humans ability to love more than one
person at a time...which is what can make polyamorous relationships
so challenging.

Number two, the blind date, is she out to her husband and has she
shared with him the plan for you two to meet? Important info cause
you don't want to get involved in someone else's mess, if she isn't
being up front with her hubby.

Three, make sure that you meet first in a public place.

And four, if anything does come of it, beyond friendship remember
to practice safe sex...

Okay, lecture over....
Reminds me of my discussion with my thirteen year old niece and my sister.
Somehow we got on the subject of sex and my sister said to me, tell my daughter what has to happen before she has sex...

I went into this long list of stuff,
You have to really care about the person and have been seeing each other for awhile,
you have to feel comfortable being naked with that person with the lights on, if you can't even be comfortable with your own body you're not ready to have sex,
you have to be able to discuss safe sex and birth control and not be embarrassed to do so
you have to use a condom and practice safe sex...

I'm doing this rambling thing and my niece is smiling and my sister is looking at me and my niece says, "nope"...and my sister says, "tell her what has to happen"...and my niece says " you have to be married"

I reply, "oops, uh, sorry sis." We all cracked up.
So much for being a therapist, its made me too pragmatic, no romantic ideals...I'm already assuming that my niece will have premarital sex, next thing you know I'll be telling my daughter that there is no tooth fairy...just a few fairies who are friends of Mommy and Mommy...Uncle so and so and Uncle so and so...you get the picture.

Mauv, who is Nanny Ogg?

Squeak, I took three ceramics classes in college and worked as a monitor in the ceramics studio...don't ask me to remember how to do anything but it sure was fun. I love those paint your own pottery places but they're expensive. Sometime I'd love to do real ceramics again. I did better at hand building...never really got comfortable with the wheel.

well girls, gotta go to bed.
Love, Soozie
Old 09-18-2002, 06:36 AM   #108  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I went to class last night just to look at what I could do. I ended up just starting. The classes are run by my cousin's aunt. She was really helpful. Between her and my cousin, who is also in the class, they were showing me all sorts of cool things. My goal is a chess set. I am starting with a Halloween plaque and a cute little dragon that sits hanging off of a shelf. All mold-stuff nothing free hand which is quite all right with me.

Soozie - You have read some of my favorite plays. I also love Much Ado About Nothing. "I rather hear my dog bark at a crow then a man swear he loves me". Much Ado was made into an almost great movie. Great people (Robert Sean Leonard, Kenneth Branaugh, Emma Tompson, Michael Keaton, Denzel Washington) but then they went and stuck Keanu Reeves as the bad guy. And while in some movies he is good, him doing Shakespeare is excruciatingly painful.

Den - Did you see First Knight? Cute movie and I loved Chauser in that one.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #109  
Is it Friday yet?

Terri grrrrrl - you enjoy yourself and take care. Enjoy the wonderful butterflies, but also listen to Soozie - she sounds like a smart mother hen. Then come back and tell us everything!!!

Terri
Old 09-18-2002, 02:05 PM   #110  
a work in progress...

Re: Shakespeare movies..."Hamlet" with Mel Gibson is divine! Love that play anyway, but with Mel...mmmmm, baby! "To be, or not to be...that is the question..."

My very favorite line from the Prince of Denmark is..."O, that this too too solid flesh would melt..." (I hear ya, Hammie!)

signed,
another Shakespeare geek
Old 09-18-2002, 03:14 PM   #111  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

You gals are all too deep for me. Give me a good old romance, smutty novel and I am happy. However, I do admire those who are inspired by Wil.
Terri- have a great dinner tomorrow night, hope everything works out well. Keep us informed. A couple of my friends and I are getting together Friday night to play strip pool, so that should be quite interesting too.
Hope everyone is doing well, Where is Chris??? Is she ok?? We miss you Chris!!
Virginia
Old 09-18-2002, 08:16 PM   #112  

Soozie - I appreciate your thoughtful and sage advice. In this aspect of my life, I can use all the advice I can get.

Maybe I should give a little more info to relieve a couple concerns and hopefully it won't fall under the category of TMI for anybody.

Warning: This is long, but I will try to make it abbreviated:

Around the time I turned 40, I had one of those classic mid-life crises. Although I had done a pretty good job of living only up to my own expectations since around age 30.... it suddenly hit me around 40 that it was time to finally be "all" of me. The classic "work less, lighten up and laugh and love more" thing. I started working with a therapist and through our discussions, I've rediscovered some of the best parts of my life from when I was a really young woman. Things I had set aside for years as a result of pursuing career and traditional nuclear family came pouring forth. So I've spent the past year or so enjoying poetry again, great books, grrrly movies and noticing women in the way I did when I was much younger - but too afraid to acknowledge. One day I finally said it out loud *to myself* : " I am attracted to women and that's ok* I did the coming out thing - went to groups and events and worked through it with my husband, had a brief first relationship.

*It is very complicated and nearly impossible to find people who I can be myself with because of the huge social taboo*

The whole issue of primary vs. secondary partners and all that........I know..... so best to take it one day at a time. I have had opportunities to meet single women, but I was worried about the problems when one partner is already part of a "pair bond". This woman is married and has been out as bisexual for several years and her husband is aware of it. We've discussed expectations up front - regardless of whatever happens - but I know the situation can be a set up for trouble because the mind
can think what it wants, but the heart knows what the heart knows. I know this may sound corny, but it feels very freeing to be out like that in a social setting - regardless of whether it remains a casual acquaintance or goes further. By nature, I am a realist and pragmatic to a fault, but it is still a little exciting and I like trying out my new wings.

Again, I have to say that you all are great. I did come here to discuss losing weight and I have probably spoken too much about this part of my life, but I've only done so because I hide it everywhere else and you all seem very open minded and nonjudgemental ( and hilariously funny and caring to boot - yippee! he he)

I will let you all know how it goes and will carry your good thoughts with me.

I hope one of you Shakespear-o-philes can recommend
a book which discusses Shakespearean themes and gives an overview of his works? I've always loved his plays, but I went to a second string high school and never got the chance to properly pay him his due and yet I am so eager to study more....

long winded terrigrrrl
Old 09-18-2002, 08:34 PM   #113  

Oh I just had to post one more time before signing off.

I just read Katrina's message about solid flesh melting and I'm rolling on the floor I can't take it anymore! you all just crack me up! I have that movie on video upstairs and I think I'll cue old Mel up while I have my nightly no-cal, no-fat, no-sugar, no-caffeine, then-what's-the-point latte

and Virginia......ahem... would that be a game of billiards or a swimming pool that you're referring to??

good night all, punkin, wildfire, den, anybody I've left out - you too

hugs - terrigrrrl
Old 09-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #114  

Terrigrrl, Do you make that latte from scratch or buy it somewhere? Sounds what the point but satisfying...would love to try it. Congrats on celebrating the real you and yes this is definitely the place to do it because we are pretty incredible and cool...if we must say so ourselves and often we do!

Sounds like the best possible scenario...I hope you have fun...and I think you're so right about the mind and the heart...that was kind of the point I was trying to make...and thanks for not booting me off the site for mother hen-ing.

So,girls, I still haven't gone to the gym...

talk to you tomorrow.Soozie
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 AM   #115  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Hi All!!!!

Katrina-Laurence Olivier's Hamlet (from the 30's I think) is also incredible. It is in black and white, and the interplay of shadow and light combined with a camera that "roves" through the castle is INCREDIBLE!!!! GORGEOUS!!!! But I also like the scene from "The Magic Christian" when Peter Seller's character has paid a famous actor to strip during Hamlet's soliloquy!!!!! I love the classics, but I also love to skewer them!!!

Squeak- I haven't seen that movie. Maybe I should rent it!!

Wildfire and Soozie-YUP!! People are always giving us strange looks for one reason or another!! Once (prekids again) DH and I turned on "The Sound of Music" with the sound off, and sat there making up our own dialogue while drinking cheap red wine. Oh yeah!! We also had a "cheap wine tasting party." We all dressed up, and drank Cadillac Club Double lemon, Night train, you know, real crap wino stuff. And we reviewed them!! I think that the Cadillac Club was "......an acidic wine, redolent of industrial cleaning solution."
I have to see if we can find that stuff. We were GOING to write an article, but I think we just felt too sick looking back on it.....maybe enough time has passed by now though!!!!

Terrigrrl-Have fun friday night!! I'll have to ask DH for the book suggestions for Shakespeare study. He is sleeping right now though. What got me into it was seeing Zefferelli's "Romeo and Juliet" which allowed me to then READ it!! Getting pulled into the action of the film and getting used to the language differences kinda opened it up in written form. Then I started moving on to other plays......I was fairly young, and I also went around "biting my thumb" at unsuspecting a$$holes!!!!

Wanttolosealot-HEY!!! Shakespeare AND Chaucer can be pretty romantic and/or smutty if you look in the right places!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #116  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Hi girls,
I think I may give Shakespeare and Chaucer a chance. ANy suggestions to a newbie of Wil?? Be gentle with me and start we out slowly.
Barefoot- You have a great time tomorrow night, I will think of you while the girls and I are shooting pool and having a few(several) drinks.
I sure hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.
Virginia
Old 09-20-2002, 09:53 AM   #117  

Hiya, just thought I would finally make a post I am another newbie....and have been lurking around for a few days reading and enjoying all your previous posts.

I started on a diet 8 days ago and have stuck to it this time for more than a couple of days as usual, so I am feeling very positive this time, have alot to lose but need to do it this time for my own sanity, the weight issue is really affecting my daily life with dragging down my self comfidence.

You all sound great, caring and LOTS of fun So I will tell you a little bit about myself

I am 30 years old, Female, live in the UK, work stupid shifts (I should be asleep cos I'm on nights but I cant sleep!!), mainly because the puppy is running round chasing the cat.

I live with my long time partner of 10 years whom I am still very much in love with , even though we have had alot of rough times in the past couple of years, things are now back on track and now is the right time to sort out my weight problems, she is also losing weight but goes to WW.

I also live with 2 middle aged cats and a 12 week old yellow labrador who seems to be the devil incarnate at the moment!

I love listening to music and am well into Melissa Etheridge, Jewel, Paula Cole and the likes. I also love watching tele, I got cable TV recently, wot an eye opener that was from 5 tv channels to about 60, i can wind my girlfriend up all night just surfing the TV.

Any way good look tonight with your date I hope it goes really well Barefoot, and to the rest of you.... I hope you can make room for one more fat bum in here.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:10 AM   #118  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Default Welcome Tooty8

Hi there,
It is great having you join us. I joined this crazy bunch in August of this year, andit was the greatest thing I could ever have done for myself. They are so incouraging and caring , both in weight loss and lifes challenging issues. I hope you grow to love it here as much as we all do.
I am Virginia, married, Bi-female with two children, two dogs, two cats and several fish. So there is a lot of craziness in this household. I too think Mellisa Ethridge rules, also Cheryl Crowe, Jewel, and many others.
Hope you kick off your shoes and stay awhile!
Old 09-20-2002, 02:07 PM   #119  

Welcome Tooty!!!
Hope that you stick around awhile.
I finally made it to the gym today!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!
Hope it becomes a ritual now...an almost everyday thing.
I'll keep you posted.
Gotta get ready for work now.
Love,Soozie
Old 09-20-2002, 02:48 PM   #120  
Is it Friday yet?

Welcome Tooty!! Sure there's room for another bum, we'll all scooch together... Welcome! :wave

I'm Terri, in central Oregon (one defines it as "central" because we're in the desert part of Oregon, not the rainy part), happily single but having a wild phone flirtation with an "associate". I live on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere with my 3 cats (all sisters).

Soozie - Congrats on getting your hiney to the gym!! You've been talking about it and it's SO good to see you've done it!!!

*sigh* better do some work....

Happy Friday everyone!!

Terri
Closed Thread