Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #181  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

One day down ~ three to go.

I took Rie's suggestion: (I read on the diabetes site that all exercise counts. I have recently been standing when I am on a long phone conversation. How about getting a pedometer and trying to hit a "steps goal" every day? I want to start using mine again and be more active in addition to my exercise. Something to think about.) and put on my pedometer again. I did 6306 steps yesterday. Later, I counted how many steps I made in a minute (set a timer) and it was a little more than 100 at a regular (for me) pace. Not exact, but close enough for this. So my steps were equivalent to about an hour of walking. I still feel like I need to do some exercise that is in addition to just my regular moving around steps. But maybe seeing the number on the pedometer will take away some of the stress and being upset with myself when I don't or am not able to fit in anything extra.

Oh, Bobbi ~ regarding the weight watchers ~ it is kind of like another version of counting calories. I liked it, but just like you and counting calories ~ I got tired of it all. I've read that you have to find something that you can do for the rest of your life ~ and that is where I ran into trouble ~ I just could not envision myself writing down every food I ate every day for the rest of my life. I did good as long as I stuck to it like you are supposed to. One thing I did like is that I felt like I got more food on the weight watchers than I did by the regular calorie counting way. Because of the zero point foods. I used the fruits and vegetables when I was hungry and didn't want to go over my points and was still able to lose the weight. You can't go crazy ~ they said to eat a reasonable amount (don't remember the exact words) you could eat the zero points things ~ just not pig out on them. I didn't go hungry.

Guess I'd better get off here and do some getting ready for work.

Hope you all have a good day.

Last edited by glynne; 10-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi - Can you give me a link to where you found the list of points online? I could only find the old points system. The way you can tell the difference is if you look up "apple." If it has points, it's the old system. If it's zero points, it's the new system. I feel the same way Gayle does. It's the same as counting calories but it's a little more difficult to find out the points value of foods. The reason it's working for me is because I fill up on so many veggies because they are zero points. I do not eat a big variety of foods, so it's easy for me to remember the points value of common foods. My diet consists of vegetables, fish and chicken. The big thing that some people like about Weight Watchers is the feeling of being accountable, having them weigh you each week. I don't like paying $43 per month to have someone weigh me.

As to your question about Home Economics, I had that when I was in school. I didn't feel that I learned that much from it. My mother had a sewing machine and I learned the basics from her. When I bought my own sewing machine, the cost included lessons on how to work it, and we each made a sewing project in that class. As far as cooking goes, my mother didn't allow anyone in her kitchen, so I didn't learn much about cooking until I moved out on my own. Since I didn't have anyone to cook for, I didn't get much experience and now my cooking skills are limited. I'm very good at baking though....just what I need! LOL

Gayle/Rie - I agree that any activity counts as exercise, but my cardiologist said that for those of us who are prone to blocked arteries, activity is not the same as exercise walking. This is why they really emphasize walking for heart patients.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

ARRRRRRG...would you believe 7 days left to the season and there are 2 storms forming! Of course they are predicting that they were both ver off into the midatlantic! But Still......gesh.

Carbie...love loved the pictures. That soft yellow kitchen color is Fabulous.

Bobbi...hah on home ec I requested typing and was firmly instructed by the headmistress Miss Turman, that it was a college prep school and did not offer business courses. First day in college class proffesser says if papers not typed he would not accept them...dah... so here I am hunt and pecking away still.

Gayle...The pedometer is a great idea. Try for 10K, they say that is the perfect amount for exercise. You're almost there. Put it first thing in the morning. Give yourself praise for trying and doing something. You can rock girl!

Cajon...Okay time is getting short so get serious about the excerise. Those papa pants are calling.

Lynn...where art thou?

Rie...Hope you feel better. Both 2 DGS near you haven't got time for sick.

Karen...I didn't realize that the eagle parents stayed near the nest after the chicks flew off. Guess that way they keep the lease!

3rd day here without the a/c running. It will be 80+ but humidity is bearable and nights are cool. For another day or 2, I hope. I just found my father's notebook from medical school...surgical clinic notes dated 9/1929. Going look thru and see how things have changed.

Been dialing MD's office while writing...busy signals are making me grumpy. Even redial isn't helping. Hate beer but ready to grab one....new refrig is only 5' from my slider which my desk is next to...yeeeah got thru appt 11/20 at 11:15...k3

ps Bobbi....Don't start without your usual preplan of attack. Get ORGANIZED. You are always organized. Stop hedging and get it straight and organize everything. That always works for you.

Last edited by Karen3; 10-23-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #184  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

www.buzzle.com/articles/free-weight-watchers-points-list.html
Carol Sue...not sure if this is what you wanted. I printed out a list of all the 0 point foods also. Do you want that one?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #185  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I clicked on the above site after I ended the message and it doesn't seem to work?
Anyway...just google 'printable weight watchers point list,' and it takes you to the Buzzle page .
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

Bobbi, the reason the URL doesn't work as is, is because it isn't completely underlined. May be too long for this forum. Anyway, if you hold down your Left button, highlight the url and then go to EDIT and click on COPY, then google it, it works. I did and then put it into my BOOKMARKS.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/free-...ints-list.html

I just put it on here again but I suspect it's too long. I'll try to shorten it;

I went to http.www.tinyurl.com and got this;

http://tinyurl.com/837ddq4

If any of you have the tiny url site you know how handy it can be for long url's that some forums wont take.

More in a bit. ..... Carbie

Last edited by A carbie; 10-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #187  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Hello all!

feeling much better today .. compare to yesterday.
walked 10.5 miles outside
and now, I'm going to do 5 miles on elliptical.

Have a good day all!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #188  

OK, I'm back again. Just like a bad penny, .....
Mary, I wish you had kept your appt with the Doc. I don't want to sound bossy or anything like that, but, sometimes heart problems present with back pain, neck pain or throat pain.
I know what you mean though about the GERD. Years ago I took Zantac for it, then the zantac stopped helping the symptoms, and the Dr put me on Aciphex, which didn't help much, so he wanted to put me on Protonix and the insurance company said I had to have tried at least 2 others previously, so the Dr contacted them and they OK'd it for me. I've been on it for years, but get the generic, Pantoprazole, which is the exact same drug, and it works wonderfully.

Karen, thanks; I like old fashioned kitchens, and yellow is a perfect color for an old fashioned kitchen, as are home made curtains. Hope your weather stays nice for you.
How interesting finding your fathers Med school notes! A treasure!

Carol Sue, I'm with you. I won't pay someone to weigh me. I like things just like this forum, where there are supportive, friendly people. Now that Bobbi gave the address of the WW points site, I just may use that. I've never understod why WW has changed so much. 35 years ago, people lost weight on the WW program, so why do they think that those plans wont work today? I'm such a ditz, I'm sure there are reasons I don't know about, but, ... just sayin' ....

Bobbi, I had home economics and the very first thing I ever sewed in my life was a cobblers apron. I gave it to Mom. I was a terrible teen. I hated school and skipped every chance I got, so I was weeks behind the rest of the class in 8th grade, making a dress. When I decided to go back and try to catch up, Miss Arndt let me come in early in the morning and work on my dress and I was the first one done with my dress. She was the grumpiest teacher ever, but she had a barely suppressed grin on her face when she announced that I was the first one done with my project. Looking back, she probably wasn't a grump all the time, .... just when around a bunch of early teenage girls in order to keep us in line.

Gayle, I give you a lot of credit. Walking is my favorite kind of exercise, but I am going to have to get myself disciplined to get started again. Maybe once things get settled down here with remodeling I'll start a routine again now that I'm retired. I've tried pedometers and I just never seem to get them to register the steps correctly. I'd put it on and walk 30 steps and one time it would say 23 steps, another time 5 steps and another time 51 steps. I always thought it was my fat jiggling that was throwing it off.

Dee, good luck with your plan. It's usually difficult in the beginning on a new plan. Hope your day is good.

Masterptr, I'm in awe of you and the exercise you do. Also the eating plan. Maybe this past week of EAT DAY will give you an idea of how to cut a little off the eating so you don't have such a hard day with the exercise the next day. 10.5 miles! I wouldn't just have to crawl home! I'd be crawling for the next MONTH! Ha!

Karem31, thanks for the compliments.
I used to watch the eagle cam last year. Thanks for putting the url for it on here. I like to check in on them every day.

Cajun, your weekend with your friends sounds like paradise! So relaxing. And the rice and potatoes, ... right up my alley! Too bad your son didn't get an elk. Good, healthy meat.

Rie, I know you're delighted to have the kids home. I miss mine all the time, but, even the ones who live locally don't get here, or me at their homes, very much. Everyone is so busy with work and family. I used to carve pumpkins with my grands, but even that is past now. They're growing up too fast.

Jess, thanks for the help with the picture shrinking. I appreciate it. Hope your day is going well.

Rosey, I think we'll get a little snow here by the first of next week. It's been raining off and on the last few days, but, it's suppose to turn colder by next week. Highs in the low 40's. Still don't have my leaves raked.

I know I've probably forgotten some, but I need to go right now. My one Daughter-in-law has leukemia and is on Medicare and needs my help in maneuvering through the different plans. You almost have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure it all out when first starting in the system.

Take care all and have a great day! .....

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #189  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Hi CARBIE

exercise is just my typical.
I don't do extra ...

like I ended up doing 17.5 miles today
I felt much better today than yesterday...

Have a good day!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey goldies,
Today is weigh in day and I'm up 1.5 lbs. I will not move my ticker again. Only to go down. Last night we had a pleasant surprise. Ds's gf called and asked if she could come see us. She was lonesome and we were too. We grilled some pork steaks and sausage and she ate with us. She told me that ds went to the emergency room last Friday night because the dr offices were closed when he got off work. He had been fighting a sore throat. It got to be so bad it hurt to talk. Turned out to be pharengitus. Not sure the spelling. They gave him meds and he is better. They knew I would worry and they chose not to tell me until he was better. They were right.
Dh and I decided that this weekend we are making 70 lbs of pork sausage at the camp. It will be really cool and perfect weather. We used our last pack of sausage last night. Perfect timing. Ready for the cold front. It's the same front that is giving ds snow and highs in the upper 20's lows in the mid teens. That's cold. We will be 70 and 45.

Gotta run.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

I just have to tell you all this story. I was reading DF's first surgical notebook. On 9/28/1929 a 36 yrs old male c/o abd swelling with occasional pain. 5 pages of work up and exam and history with dx by DF of peritonitis probably caused by TB. Surgeon operated anyway and was unable to make a dx as everything looked normal. DF was chewed out. Oh Pt died the next day.......and DF became international known diagnostician. k3

ps Cajun send the front South......please

Last edited by Karen3; 10-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #192  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Karen fl~ when the front comes thru Friday night I will kick hard and give it extra push. Lol. Hope you get it!!!!!

Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #193  

Karen3, your father rocked!! .....
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #194  

Was someone looking for the WW Daily points tracking forms?

http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/s...ts-tracker.pdf or

http://tinyurl.com/8hdg8xn

I found all kinds of stuff on that Buzzle site. Thanks Bobbi. I printed out a lot of it. Just might try it. .....
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #195  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Two days of work down ~ two more to go. It was a pretty good day.

I got out on time tonight. Came home, changed clothes and put Meso in the cat carrier/rigged up stroller contraption and went walking. Aimed for 15 minutes. Once around the loop (our street is a circle) was the 15 minutes. Glad I got out on time so I could do it. DH was on his way home from Sara's ~ riding his recumbent bike and came up beside us and went with us as we walked. That was kind of nice. Hoping maybe I rest good tonight and maybe will feel like doing another 15 minutes in the morning. I feel much more comfortable having something to hang onto while walking. (I stumble sometimes and am so afraid of falling.

I’m not in the league of the exercisers in our group, but you gotta start somewhere.

Deelee ~ where did you go? I thought I saw a post by you, but then when I went to reply ~ now I don’t see it. It sounded like you had had a hard day. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} ~ hang in there.

Where is Isabella? ~ hope she hasn’t disappeared again.

Bobbi ~ we had home ec in school ~ started in 7th grade. I had done some sewing before that ~ mom and dad helped me. The girl scouts in the area made doll clothes to dress dolls for Goodwill. There was a contest to judge the outfits, then the dolls were given to under privileged children. Made a dress in 7th grade. I liked sewing and made a lot of my own dresses through out high school, college and in my early years of marriage. I still like to sew. I don’t make my own clothes as much anymore ~ I would like to, but my shape is hard to fit with the patterns ~ have to do a lot of tweaking. I hate to go to all that trouble and then it doesn’t fit right or look right. Easier to just go to the store and try something on. Had fun making some of the kids clothes when they were little. And then made a few things for Corbin when he was little. The cooking part of home ec ~ I didn’t enjoy as much. I like to cook ok, it seemed hard in the class though. A couple years after I went through school ~ they started having the boys take home ec half the year and swap and had the girls do shop. I would have liked that I think.

I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to respond to everyone tonight. Will have to try to catch up another time. Almost bed time now.
Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 10-23-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Closed Thread