Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #241  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks, Isabella. I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm blah, blah, blah, blah, and boring.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Goldens!

Well, I had a crazy day at work yesterday and I expect another one today. Oh well. Tonight I am working on the get-out-the-vote task group and then I have pool league tomorrow night. Thursday I am home and Friday begins the big state 8ball tourney. Busy week. I am off next tuesday so I am taking a vaca day on monday to get a nice long weekend.

Donna and Isabella, you only think you are boring....

RedhotKaren You are so funny! NO. NO. NO snakes in the living room! Nuhuh, Noway!

Gayle, you always take good care of Sarah, such a kind soul you are.

Karen, enjoy the concert if I don't get back here.

Cajun, I understand your joy. I smile all the time that both my ds are here. It is lovely.

Dee, bless you. In a few days, your parents will get adjusted and they will be happier. Sometimes it is just like what we do with our kids: "I know that you may not like this but I am doing this because it is the best for you." Hugs and more hugs to you.

Well, so sorry but I am out of time..... Later

Rie
Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Well, all we got was lots of rain and high winds. No damage. I found out that the nor'easter coming from the south was supposed to meet up with Sandy coming from the east and cause havoc, but it caused the havoc south of us, in W VA instead. I am happy to be safe, but I feel so bad for all the people affected by this storm. It's awful what they're showing on the news. The only good thing is I'm stocked up with everything and won't have to go to the store for a long long time! LOL

Rie - My insurance only covers strips if I get them from certain mail order medical supply houses. They are not covered at all on my Rx coverage. I do not go to Sam's Club. If I went with a more expensive insurance they would cover my strips in full, but do I pay for strips, or pay for the insurance? It's more money either way. Also, I used to have discount cards from various manufacturers, but I don't think you can use them with Medicare. I could be wrong.

Maryea- If the number of strips I receive depends on how bad my BS reading are, they should have no problem with me testing 3 X a day. It's my doctor who told them I need strips to test once a day. He told me to test at different times each day. What difference does it make to him if they send me enough strips to test 3 X per day? It's not like he's paying for them. Grrrr
Rie gets strips to test 3 X per day and her glucose readings are perfect, but then she's not dealing with Medicare. It's a whole new ball game.

Dee - I'm sorry to hear that your parents are not happy with their living arrangements. That's sad, but you know this is all for their own good. Just remember, when you were growing up, they made decisions about your life that didn't make you happy, but it was for your own good and they had your best interest at heart.

Bobbi - On TV yesterday, I saw them interview a couple who had been on a cruise that got stuck in the hurricane. They said their whole trip was terrible. Everyone got sick and they never even made it to the Bahamas which was to be their final destination. They said they were offered 50% off their next cruise, but no refund for this one. I guess it wasn't due to anything that someone did wrong except take a cruise at the wrong time of year. Isn't this the time of year when cruises are discounted because of the chance of inclement weather? I never went on a cruise, but this one didn't sound like fun.

Gayle - I'm glad to hear that conditions are improving at work. It's so miserable to go to work every day when the employer won't listen to the suggestions from the employees who actually do the work.

As far as exercising, I found it very difficult to fit exercise in when I was working. You seem to be really putting forth an effort.

Carbie - I wish I had the energy you have! You do so many things that I would never attempt. You do not let your age or your weight stop you, and that's a good thing. You live an interesting life.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #244  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

I had hoped to get some more/the rest of the personals done today, but am out of steam again. Sorry.

Tired this evening. Busy day ~ voting, hair cut, staff meeting at work, a little time with Maddie. Made a pot of chili. Jason stopped by ~ got to visit with him for a few minutes. Doesn't seem as though I should be so tired.

Jason is worrying about his job and maybe losing his place to live and possibly having to move back to Kansas City. I so hope it doesn't come to that. Worry is exhausting.

Guess if I will head to bed ~ once I get to sleep ~ at least I won't be thinking of these worrisome things. Sorry to spill out ~ thank you for listening.

Take care all.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #245  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Halloween everyone
Welcome Decor, are you from Iowa or just a fan of the Decorah eagles? We watch them every year, what fun.
I'm a dead beat too, Donna and Isabella couldn't have said it better. All your lives are so much more interesting than mine. Thats why I don't post much but love reading about you all.

Rie...I love the colored socks you all wore in the race, were you exhausted?

KarenMo...Guy Penrod was my favorite Gaither singer, he used to be sooooo handsome.(gotten old now) He and wife Angie have 5 or 6 sons and one daughter. I think he left the Gaither band because he was away on the road so much.

Gayle...sorry to hear about Jason's woes. Always hard when our kids are struggling.

Carol Sue...happy you're safe. How scary for the coastal people, I heard on the news that 150 homes burned.

Cajun...we watch DWTS too, thought for sure Kristy would go home. I like her and she brings laughter to the program. I must admit that I hold my breath when Maks? (MAX) lifts her in the air. SPLAT!!!! P.S. DH will be sitting around his own private camp fire, he does have a heater for the tent. Hope it isn't too cold sleeping for him, they don't have snow yet but it's below freezing.

K3...get cracking? Haha, I have too many irons in the fire right now. Yesterday I actually half-a$$ed started. Bruce is leaving tomorrow for deer hunting. Today I'll be busying making sandwiches for a week at least for his deer stand. Evening meals he's have canned soups, stews, etc. in the tent.
Since the heats been on for the last two weeks, I've also had plugged sinuses in the morning with a head ache. Darn............I think it's all the dust in the heat vents all over the house. I put cardboard over the vent in the bedroom and taped it shut so no heat and dust can't come in plus leave the bedroom door shut at all times. DD said to go on a gluten free diet while her dad is gone (Bruce) and see if that might trigger my headaches. I purchased some gluten free hot rice cereal for my breakfast instead of Fiber One, some gluten free spaghetti and a bunch of flours to make bread in my bread machine. I made a loaf yesterday that turned out pretty good. Staying away from anything with white flour in it should help me lose some of the 7 pounds I've gained. That's why I said I'm half-a$$ed on a diet.
Mary...good job on the pounds lost and I too like your new picture.
Dee...hugs to you and your parents adjustment. Once they get settled, they'll appreciate it.
Rosie...are you starting any quilts for Christmas? That's going to be some of my gifts this year, I already have the two grandsons finished, my DH best friend. Now I have one more to do for DD.
Here a recipe for oven fries you all might want to try.
I'll set up the new November thread later tonight for tomorrow.

Quote:
The best tasting fries EVER! Paprika is the spice that really makes these fries fantanstic.

Ingredients:
4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
6 Tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Cut each potato in half lengthwise, then cut into equally sized wedges. Place in a large bowl and toss with the oil and garlic.

In a small bowl, combine remaining spices and mix well. Then sprinkle over potatoes and toss until all potatoes are fully coated.

Place skin side down on a greased baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 35 minutes or until well browned, crusty edged, and tender. Serve immediately, sprinkled with more salt if desired.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-31-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #246  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Happy Halloween!

Just a quick post here before I head out for the day. Excited today because I love halloween (working in a kids facility ) My costume for the day and night is the same as my whole pool team: pajamas! I will be comfy in my slippers as I go through the day.

At work I may be dealing with a whooping cough outbreak. I will know more today. No kids are sick but one of my staff has been diagnosed. WHY don't people get their kids immunized? Jeeeeez, we never used to have to deal with this crap! Imagine what the health department people will think when they arrive and find me in pajamas! Of course, I bought new ones because there's no way I could wear one of my raggedy ones....

I have to stop at walmart on the way to work - my outfit won't be out of place there!

Bobbi, I hope the headaches get better. No, I wasn't exhausted after the race. It was so much fun that we were giddy the easiest 5k I have ever done. Of course, the next day was ice packs and pain pills for my knee.... I don't even care

Gayle, so sorry about Jason, maybe things will work out better than he thinks. It is hard when the kids are struggling....

Well, tonight I am trick or treating with the little boys and then off to pool league. Here I go to deal with the whooping cough......... Have a great day!

Rie
Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #247  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies,

Yesterday I found out that they called in homeland security and FBI. Someone in the refinery tried to sabotage the refinery by turning off valves in the hydrocracker unit. They are doing a full investigation. They suspect it's an inside person. My ds failed to tell me that. I guess he didn't want me to worry. I read rawlins news and questioned him. That's how I found out. He worked until 9 last night and at that time I was relieved. They were going to head south this morning at 6 am but..........I called him this morning and they went back to the house loaded and left at midnight. Yay...... Finally he's headed home. This is one anxious mom to hug her boy. He should be in tomorrow afternoon. I ordered his cake for his welcome home party Friday night. I'm also getting things ready. Hoping time will fly by.
I lost 1 of those 2 lbs I gained last week. Don't know how I did that because dh and I ate good over the weekend.

Sorry no time for personals today. Everyone have a happy Halloween. Don't eat too much candy!!!!!! Lol

Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #248  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi, just a quick note this morning-- I saw Guy Penrod on Larry's Country Diner last month and he actually has 8 kids-- the last being a little girl! WOW! Better him than me! And I still think he is good looking!

Getting ready to go to Bible study this morning and still have a few more things to get done.

Be back later. Have a good day everyone
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #249  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Cajun - I am so happy for you that your boy is coming home... and safely! Let us know when he hits your doorstep!

Bobbi - good luck with the gluten-free! That's the buzz de jour, but maybe there's something to it!

Rie - good luck with the hope-it-doesn't-happen epidemic! Jamms at work sounds fun!

That's it! Be safe, all......
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #250  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Goldies!
I hope it's as beautiful where you are as it is here right now. The sun is shining so brightly! It's 27 degrees, but there is no wind, so I'm going for a walk later this morning.
Today is leftover day. I have a little bit of chili, a little bit of tater tot hotdish and some pork roast and potatoes cooked with the skins on.
Tomorrow I think I'll make some chicken vegetable soup.

Welcome, Decorlover! I know you'll love it here. Everyone is so warm and helpful to say nothing of being understanding.

Rie, you make everything you do sound like so much fun! On the other hand, I know what those poor kids with whooping cough are going through. I had it when I was in 5th grade, and it was soooo awful. I was out of school for 6 weeks and got so skinny. Weight meant nothing to me back then because I was a country girl and was outdoors as much as I could be, and climbing bluffs etc. But, I realized one day when I was sick that my fingers were like bones with just skin over them. I asked Mom why they were like that and she said it was because I coughed until I was sick so kept nothing down. Thinking back, ... she must have been worried sick because she had 4 of us with it. Now days they have vaccines for it.

Bobbi, your life is not un-interesting. I look forward to your posts because You always have such informative messages. And while I'm at it, ..... thanks for the fries recipe! I have a large bag of jicama fries and I think I'll try your recipe with some of them.

Gayle, don't be too worried about Jasons job etc. Things have a way of working out. he's got a wonderful Mom so he's already ahead of the game.

Carol Sue, I'm glad you rode out the storm safely. I heard on the news this morning that at least 55 people lost their lives in that storm.
I think it's the Medicare insurances that want to know if we are controlling our diabetes, and the strips are expensive, so they want to know how bad our readings are. If bad enough, they will allow testing more times a day. Mine are never under control because I don't follow my diet like I should. That show, THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION kinda scared me though.

I've gained 8 pounds since I retired April 1st. I need to start getting up early and going to the Y and exercise in the pool. I hate having to get up early and having to move a lot though. I think I have this mind set that now I'm retired I should be able to get up when I darned well please. I am usually awake early though. I do a lot, but I eat a lot too.

Jess, now you cut that out! You are NOT boring. You're also a very kind person. Thanks again for helping me with the picture thing.

Isabella, I think I've only seen one other post from you, when I first joined your group. I know things get a person down sometimes and you can't think of anything to say that, to you, sounds interesting. But, post anyway, even if just to say " Hi, I'm ok." Have a great day!

Cajun, I don't get tired of hearing about your son. I have 6 of them and you never quit thinking and worrying about them, but, almost always things work out for the good.

Karen31, that Guy Penrod looks like Jesus. has a really good voice too.

Karen3, you have a son who is an author?? What kinds of books does he write? I'm a reader! What are the titles of his books? Holy cow! Maybe I've hit pay dirt here!

Dee, I know how it is with parents just moved into assisted living. I just retired from an assisted living home in April, and trust me, your parents will settle in eventually. Sometimes you just need to take a couple days away from it all and get some rest yourself. It actually can help them to settle in if the kids stay away for a few days.

Well, I'm in PJ's yet so I need to move here. Everybody have a great day! .....
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 140/136.5/110

Height: 5'2

Hi Golden Girls! Bobbolink....I am confused( not unusual, lol)....,anyway, you asked a few questions that I am stumped about! I thought this group was for over 50's, which is my only connection to you gals. I live in ND. Am I in a group from a certain state or area? If so, I apologize!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #252  
Bobbi

Decor....Say What? This group is for over 50 and we're from all over the place. Something just clicked in my mind with your name (decor). I was thinking Decorah, Iowa where the famous pair of eagles nest every year and raise eaglets. They have the campod on them 24/7. We have people from both coast, Montana, Missouri, Florida, Minnesota, Texas,etc. Glad you joined us.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #253  
Bobbi

You're welcome K3
Closed Thread