Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #151  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Zoe...darn, didn't mean to omit my message to you. You were telling us about your apple/cranberries dessert you made on another post.
Yesterday while freezing homemade applesauce, I left some out and added some dried cranberries to it, some cinnamon and Stevia. We had it on top of some vanilla sugar free pudding and cool whip, it was awesome! Thanks for the idea.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hey wrote a long whine and lost it...be back after the storm...weird no lightening but so much rain guess stuff falling on lines...hugs karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #153  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All....
Bobbi, no applesauce. I just left out the oil and added the recommended eggs and water. Really yummy!

PT/Zoe, sorry the rain is thwarting your staycation! We had rain here last night, too (just a wee tad), but it was wonderful! We're dry, dry, dry!!

Toonse, you have it down pat! You'll be an inspiration, I can tell!

Everyone, have a good one! Be safe!

Here's something I thought was interesting:
"STEER CLEAR OF THE THREE FOOD DEMONS

Food should provide energy, but some foods deplete it instead. Watch out for...

Sugar. You know that sugar could make you fat... but did you know that it is guaranteed to make you tired? Eating sugar makes blood glucose levels spike and then plunge, forcing adrenal glands to work overtime to rebalance blood sugar, thus leaving you spent.

Goal: Permanently eliminate added sugar from your diet -- or at least cut way down. Besides abstaining from the obvious (candy, cookies, cakes), check labels and avoid products that contain sugar’s aliases -- including barley malt, caramel, carob syrup, corn syrup, dextran, dextrose, fructose, fruit juice concentrate, maltodextrin, maltose, molasses, sorbitol, sorghum syrup, succinate and sucrose.

"Quitting sugar cold turkey can trigger headaches, moodiness, fatigue and sugar cravings -- but after a few days, withdrawal symptoms subside and you feel energized," Dr. Lipman said. To ease the transition...

Every four hours, supplement with 1,000 mg of the amino acid glutamine, which tricks the brain into thinking that it is getting glucose. Continue until cravings abate.
If you sweeten your tea or coffee, use stevia, which does not affect blood sugar levels as dramatically as refined sugar does. Avoid artificial sweeteners -- they contain potentially unhealthful chemicals.

When you really need something sweet, have fruit or an ounce of dark chocolate.
Gluten. This is a protein found in wheat and certain other grains. Some people can tolerate gluten... and some (those with celiac disease, a genetic autoimmune disorder in which eating gluten can lead to intestinal damage) absolutely cannot.

A great many people, though, fall in the middle -- the "gluten-sensitive" area in which eating gluten causes chronic vague unwellness. Dr. Lipman explained, "If you lack an enzyme needed to break down gluten, your immune system reacts as if this protein were a foreign object." Besides feeling spent, gluten-sensitive people may suffer from bloating, cramps, constipation or diarrhea.

Goal: For four weeks, stop eating any foods that contain the gluten grains -- wheat, rye, barley or triticale (a wheat-rye hybrid). This can be tricky, because gluten grains can be found in a surprisingly wide variety of products, including beer, cream sauce, gravy and soy sauce. What’s more, gluten grain products have many aliases. Check labels! The following words may indicate that the product contains gluten -- barley, bulgur, dinkle, durum, einkorn, emmer, farina, fu, graham, kamut, rye, seitan, semolina, spelt, triticale, wheat. When in doubt: Choose foods labeled gluten-free.

Eliminating gluten for several weeks has helped nearly all his spent patients, Dr. Lipman said, because when the body expends less energy dealing with this hard-to-digest protein, it has more energy for other processes. Chances are good that going gluten-free will help you, too.

When your no-gluten period is up, try having one serving of a gluten food every few days. If symptoms return, eliminate gluten permanently. If symptoms do not return, you may have one gluten food every other day.

Next step: After you’ve gauged your reaction to gluten, see if you’re sensitive to...

Dairy. "For a surprising number of people, eating products made with cow’s milk can lead to spent symptoms as well as to gassiness, constipation, skin irritation and respiratory problems," Dr. Lipman said.

Reasons: The milk protein casein can trigger an immune system attack... some people lack the enzyme needed to digest the milk sugar lactose... and homogenization creates fats that the body may have trouble digesting.

Goal: Avoid products made with cow’s milk for four weeks. Instead, try goat’s or sheep’s milk. (Dr. Lipman did not recommend soy milk, which can be difficult to digest.)

When you complete your no-cow-dairy period, try having one serving of cow’s milk or a cow’s milk product every other day. If the dairy-sensitivity symptoms described above return, swear off cow’s milk products for good. Otherwise, you can have up to two servings of them per day.

Last edited by jess1; 08-24-2010 at 12:39 PM.
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #154  

Height: 5'3"

Jess - I definitely know that sugar makes one tired! Esp since becoming a diabetic, when I eat too many carbs I get SO sleepy...if I didn't stop eating I suppose I'd go into a coma but thank God I never have taken it that far! But sugar makes you feel sluggish and tired for sure. A little can pick you up and make you feel great for a brief time, but then the crash comes...When I was on the Prism Weight-loss program, I went off sugar, cold-turkey...I had a headache for a couple or three days, then just didn't feel well for about 4 days but after that I felt GREAT!! I had SO much energy! After that week I did allow myself to have small amount of fructose, sucanaut and brown sugar (I was not a diabetic then) and but did not seem to have the problems with those kinds just the regular refined sugar. I'd like to do it again, but can't get myself to do it. I don't eat a lot of sugar these days though and the only sugar I keep in my house is brown sugar which I rarely use. I get my sugar at times when I'm out...like dh and I will share a candy bar or I'll get a mocha occasionally even though I shouldn't. Recently I tried Starbucks Mocha Light...not quite as good but not bad. In regard to dairy, I've mention it before on one of these threads but I think my issue was the fat not the lactose cause when I switched to non-fat, no more no more tummy problems.

Toonses - Your garden sounds lovely! We eat a lot of stir-fries too...I try to make them healthy and light. My dh is Filipino and I like Filipino food but it usually has a lot of fat and sodium which is not good for us. I cut back on it as much as possible but the stir-fries are kind of a compromise when I don't feel like cooking Filipino. In general we eat a lot of veggies with only a little meat. But we do eat pasta and potatoes too...a large variety of foods actually. I don't eat shellfish but do enjoy salmon, halibut and tilapia plus other fish from time to time. My dh loves shellfish and he gets it when we eat out or sometimes in a frozen entree.
BTW, not sure I said WELCOME!! but I am glad you are here!

Ellabella - so sorry you can't enjoy eggs without being sick! I too like them and love egg sandwiches! Due to my cholesterol issues I limit them to about 3 times a week or I use whites only.
Can you eat the whites or are you allergic to the whole egg?

Bobbi - Look for the 40 cal fudgsicles with the others. They are Popsicle brand and are sugar free. I love them. Too much as I can easily binge on them if I'm not being mindful. Think they are 19 carb grams with about 4 gms? of fiber but still not good for me to eat too many. Know what you mean by the girls pointing south...not sure when it happened but it did and they suddenly (seemed like) got much softer too. Used to be firm and perky. I was never sure if it happened due to age or my having breastfed four babies, the last one for almost two years. Sadly those perky firm days are over! But it happens to the best of us I guess. What about those girls who are having breast implants...do the implants sag in time or do their breasts sag around them...that's a gross picture! One of my dds has them...she's 45 and still perky.

Dinner tonight is Beef Caldereta and rice. I won't eat the rice but will not be able to resist the potatoes in the caldereta. And I forgot to cut the fat in the caldereta so I know it's too fat although it is olive oil. It's one of my favorite dishes when I remember to cut back on the oil. Oh well will try to remember next time...it's silly to use so much as it wasn't needed...I just blindlessly followed the recipe this time.

Time to go serve dinner ...bye!

Last edited by maryea; 08-24-2010 at 08:46 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Well, I guess it isn't my computer! It took me 8 minutes to get to this thread after I clicked on UserCP!! In the anouncements it has a thread there about the "lag opening up subforum topics" so there are several more that have reported the same problem. Some are saying they think it is the soyjoy ads that are causing it but I haven't really noticed if that is it or not... just frustrating!!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #156  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone! I am looking forward to participating with the discussions.

I felt like a steak tonight so that was what we had. My husband was thrilled (no fish or chicken tonight). I picked some tomatoes and cucumbers off the vine and we had those as well. I found a great recipe for a low cal Thai Peanut Sauce and we had that with some pasta. Another hit for the husband. He has been extremely supportive and never complains so I like to surprise him with some good old hearty food every now and than.

I love chocolate as well and I either have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or Weight Watchers giant fudge bar or truffle fudge bar. They are over 100 calories, but this is one of my "treats."

Have a great evening everyone. I am off to the freezer for my ice cream....
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

67 minutes of exercise. Upped the eliptical from 6 to 7 minutes.

Today begins my LOW-carb week. Basically, my Nugo bar in the morning + veggies. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #158  
Donna

Good Morning, All...
Nothing much to report, so this will be a quick check in..... Still no word from Isabella? My theory is that her kids produced more babies and that she's inundated with poopy grandbaby diapers! I HOPE!

Mary, I call that carb overload my CarboBlahs. It knocks me out, and it's not a good and restful sleep! I wonder, knowing how they affect me so negatively, that I still crave and delight in them??? That's got to be a symptom of the addictive component of carb sensitivity. Intellectual awareness does not equate with maturity!

Hope all are well!! Lynn, please read over your postings for the last few days... and then PACE yourself! You're going to end up hurting yourself, my friend!

Stay cool! Enjoy those heavenly-sounding veggies! Be safe...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #159  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Back again - minus the whining, I'm glad to say. Had enough of that just listening to my OWN self...
Anyhoo, more rain today, but clearing, according to the weatherfools* tomorrow, and a glorious weekend in store. It bettah BE! This dumb vacation needs something to perk it up, and that's a fact.
STILL no Isabella. Well, we can't give up hope...
As for the carboblahs, PT (and yet another highly relevant term is added to our vocabulary!) I, too, can identify. The more you indulge in them stinkin' things, the less you care about staying on the straight and narrow, and the more lethargic and icky you feel. I've really had a battle on my hands this week, with the steady rain, and no desire to take DH up on his suggestions for museum trips, movies, dinner out, etc., etc. What few sweets I keep around here (for the CHILDREN, of course) are a constant temptation, and one to which I have given in more than I'd like to admit...even to myself...over these past gray days. Well, if the sun comes out tomorrow, I shall rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes and put n end to my nibbling on the nasties.
Okay, Lynn.....Jeesh. (I guess I'd better pull out my old Leslie Sansone DVD; I'm feeling quite wretched about my laziness, especially in view of your BOUNCING back so energetically from your illness. Good going, girl!)
Welcome, Toonses. This is a nice group. To know most of us is to love us. To know me can be sometimes trying (I've been on a whining binge) but I'm working on my attitude, scout's honor!
Yep, Karen31. Opening the forum is slow, and then opening GG's is slow, too, but not eight minutes worth of slow by any means. Maybe 60 seconds, maybe 90 here. But since the one thing that DH is expert at is computers, I'm used to practically lightening speed, and waiting a minute seems like an hour to me.
Mary, I believe it's the whole egg. Interestingly, it doesn't bother me to eat things that have eggs in them - like baked goods ands such (that I need like a hole in the head, right?) - but to just eat an egg, no matter how it's prepared, gives me cold sweats, nausea, and a horrendous stomach ache that lasts for a couple of hours. So, I'm not real anxious to try the white or yolk separately just to test myself. Staying away from them altogether seems the safer course of action.
Karen3, I'll be looking forward to the resurrection of your long whine. (it's nice not being the only whiner once in a while, eh?)
Oh, Bobbi, I knew you didn't forget me. Sometimes it just slides by and you realize after the fact that you've left off somebody who's an old regular, and you just catch up with 'em later...like you did. (Thanks ). SO glad you enjoyed your apple sauce treat. Yummy, isn't it? Did you top it with Fiber One? I like the crunch, and it feels more like apple crisp that way. Of course you maybe have gotten your quota of Fiber One with other meals - I know you use it a lot.
The "girls" are a little saggy, eh, Rosey???? Oh, YEAH. Same here. But at least they match the rest of me, yanno? Wouldn't do at all, I wouldn't think, to have two perky little baseballs sitting up there while everything else is dragging and hanging. May as well be consistent, I figure. OH, and adorable grandbabies - and adorable little puppies, too. Really sweet pictures - thanks for sharing!
Okay, Gayle, you're overdue to be posting, kiddo. (Or are you computerless at the moment? If so, all is forgiven.)
Okay, who'd I miss? Speak now, or forever hold your peace!
Going to go make some apple sauce - DH is making a pork roast for supper.
Have a great day y'all, and PLEASE do a no-rain dance if you have a chance, for the sodden northeast. (Poor prez & fam...)
Bye for now,

Z

* term shamelessly stolen from PT
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #160  
Donna

I can't resist, given the discussion on perky girls. You all were wondering about old implants... well, I hope this comes through!!

PT/Zoe, you can "steal" any of the PT-isms that you like! And you can whine if you want... that's why we're here (and we'll tell you if enough is enough!!!). Fret not, my lovely friend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandma1.jpg (29.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by jess1; 08-25-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #161  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Back from visiting my daughter and her new (well one month old now) little baby. Didn't get a chance to check in on 3FC. She has a computer, but I was too busy baby holding. Sniffing that sweet little baby head and all The first morning I was there my daughter brought little Evie for me to see. I was holding her and told my daughter ~ I could do this all day. She said no ~ that the baby would get too used to that. I told her ~ well wait to train her 'till after grandma goes home ~ LOL. I loved holding her, but actually my muscles began to ache after a while. So, I didn't mind honoring my daughter's wishes some of the time and put her in the swing for a bit.

I'll catch up on the posts tomorrow ~ too pooped tonight. Have been up since 2am ~ had to get to the airport for a 6am flight. My flights were crazy ~ on the way out ~ they sent me from Houston to Charlotte, NC via Chicago. On the way back, from Charlotte, NC to Houston via Washington DC.

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #162  

Hi everyone..just got back from my monthly weigh in i was really sweating this one as i have struggled to stay on track this month..i was releaved that i stayed the same no gain no loss..ill take that and try and do better.. then we went groc shopping which is always ahoot with my dh..hes so hard of hearing and repeats what he thinks he heard me say and its so funny and when i need him to reach something for me he usually way over on the opposite side of the store..always a challenge to shop with him..zoe whine all you want..we hear yah and we all take are turns grouching jess,good golly id rather look like me than that poor women,thanks for the chuckel..glynne i love babies too,esp my grbabies..glad u got to enjoy..lynn wtg to feeling better..toones i use sf fudgesicels for my treat too..maryea..im diabetic too and i deff get sleepy when i over do sugar or carbs and if i dont have enuff i get adgitated and cranky..my dh usually knows the signs and tells me to eat something as im cranky sometimes hes right and others i just tell him"nope im just p***ed at you" lol and on the note hoping you all have agreat evening ((hugs)) for all rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 08-25-2010 at 06:44 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #163  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

I love grandbabies as well. When my oldest daughter Amber had her son, Benicio, I stayed with her for 10 whole days! I loved it. She had a real tough labor and then an emergency c-section. I was so glad to be there and help out. This was her first baby and I was able to share a lot with her. She was a natural mom and did really well. I was so thankful to share that time with her. It brought us even closer together and I was able to bond with my little Bubba boy (he is now 3 years old). Our daughter lives about three hours away (Santa Cruz, CA) and Benicio will be coming up for a visit starting Sept. 5th. We get him for seven whole days. We cannot wait. We web cam with him every weekend and he is just a kick.

Our other granddaughters live only an hour away and we spend almost every weekend with one of them. I spent five days with my youngest daughter Kim after she had her daughter. It was also a lot of fun and my granddaughter Emma is now 14 months old. Our other granddaughters Lily (5) and her baby sister Ella (6 months old) live just four miles away from Kim with my step-son Tony and his wife Kelly. Lily is spending this weekend with us. She is 5 going on 15. She is a girly girl and just loves dressing up.

I will get some pictures uploaded once I get access to do so.
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning I think??...Ice is my friend. I have sat on an ice pack for so long if you put a quarter in my mouth I will poop an ice cube! Sorrrrrrrrrrrrry but it is so close to the truth!

Been to therapy every day this week. Feels so good for hours afterwards, then back to shooting pain and fire explosing calf. Dh has been so good to me and helps as best he can. But he has had so much back surgery/neuropathy together we don't make a whole.....

Gotta figure out something to make for dinner than can reuse a couple of days. Standing much isn't easy. Reheat in microwave sounds so good. Problem everything I think of had noodles or rice in it. helllllp!

Jess...LOL at that picture. Always figured that those women when they died would have to have an open coffin cuase everytime they closd it it would pop back open. bong bong bong

I'll be back later to do personals....really ladies have not had any happy pills yet. This si my weird black humored self...hugskaren3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #165  

Height: 5'3"

Was decluttering my desk today, pulled out a drawer and the bottom started slipping out at the bottom, couldn't get it back in so had to call my dh who was so happy to have something to work on! Took quite a while and involved gluing, drilling and nailing! My desk is old and falling apart bit by bit. Since it took so long, I got the files back in the drawer but didn't get the rest done. Will still need to declutter another drawer and the shelves tomorrow.

I got the tools for him but he did the work. Sitting on a chair while I'm in the room but later I came in and he's on the floor! Doing pretty well for a 75 year old man with a fx femur, don't you think? Later I went looking for him and found him in the RV...3 steps up and down and to even get to the RV he has to go over rocks and big tree roots...so that made me a bit upset with him and I told him to tell me and I'd go with him next time which he did later on. Going up he did fine, but coming down he has to sit down on the first step and work his way down.

While he was fixing the drawer I straightened up my pantry and threw out some expired items. I hate when that happens! I'm sure some of the other stuff is too old too but if there is no date I keep it until it is obviously too old to use! Anyone else like that? I found a cookie mix that expired yesterday so I quickly baked it up. They weren't that great thankfully so I didn't eat as many as I might have and threw away the rest except for leaving some for dh to eat. He's not a big cookie eater but likes to have a few.

Karen - hope you are feeling better soon. I have neuropathy too but yours sounds worse. Glad the therapy helps at least. Don't blame you a bit if you want to take a "happy pill" too!

Toonses, Glynne - glad you got to spend that time with your dd and baby. That's a real special time to share with them. I got to be with both my dds (3 times) and one of my dil (three times) when they were in labor and with my youngest dd (twice) and dil (twice) when they delivered. I felt very blessed!
Also spent a week with each of dds after each time. We have our 9th grandchild coming in Oct and won't be able to get there for the birth due to dh's leg but plan to be there for Christmas. It is a boy so that makes 4 boys and 5 girls.

Rosey - glad you had an ok weigh-in. Staying the same is definitely better than gaining ..which I have been doing lately! I'm having a terrible time getting back down to 157. Keeping going up as high as 5 lbs then sliding almost clear down, then up again. It's just my inconsistency with my eating I know. Thnk I did better today though and my bs was great today!

Oh, and even better news (for me)....both dh and I had bone scans done yesterday and they called dh as he needs treatment and made an appt. They didn't mention me so I called as I knew I had osteoporosis and I haven't take anything for a couple or three years now so was curious. The nurse said my bones are fine!! I couldn't believe it and even questioned if the tech had mixed up the scans but she said no. I am sorry dh probably has osteopenia (according to what the tech told him) but I am very very happy that my bones are ok again!! I know that Fosamax stays in the bones a long time and continues to prevent damage even after you quit using it but I didn't realize it would actually repair the past damage! So that's my special good news for today!!

Last edited by maryea; 08-27-2010 at 01:53 AM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote