Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Smile Am I really done?! (a meno- question)

Hi, I just have a question for those of you who may have been through this already. I have finally made it a year with no visits from TOM, and I read somewhere that making it a year means you're done, at last! Is that true? The first time I was on the one-year countdown, I made it 6 months, then, well, you know. The second time, I made it 9 months, and finally, this time, a year with no sign of any revisits

So, can I now donate of all the maxis, minis, supers, & jumbos to my daughter-in-law or should I keep the junk around a little longer? Thanks for any knowledge you all can offer!!!

PS doc was no help, as she hasn't been through it yet-don't they learn about this in school?
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

My guess is that you are finished, but since I'm not a doctor, I'll say you really need to see a new gynecologist for his/her opinion following an exam. Was the doctor you saw a GP? I would question any doctor that would give you such a vague diagnosis for this, based on the fact that she hasn't been through it yet! (Surely she recognizes other conditions that she hasn't experienced first hand!) At any rate, if you give away your products, maybe keep a few on hand, just in case.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/159/125

Height: 5'4"

Last year while on vacation in the South Pacific, guess what. TOM! Nothing like shopping in Bora Bora for ANY kind of supplies! I have also been a year w/o TOM! I am not giving away everything, in fact on our last vacation, DH reminded me to pack a few supplies! I agree with Jane, there are other ways for your Doctor to find out if you have made it!
Good Luck and Enjoy!
Loves2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just got back from my gynecologist. He says the medical definition of menopause is "one year with no periods." I get the impression that's not the same thing as an ironclad gurantee.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/172/138

Height: 5'6"

I think the year is a general guide line, but i went a year without and then had one....so there are exceptions. My Gyn. was very concerned about that and did several tests to rule out something serious...but I checked out OK. I'd keep my supplies...just in case
annie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

To the original poster: by medical definition, you are in menopause after 12 months of no periods. (And docs do learn about this in medical school.)

A more precise understanding of our (women's) hormonal states would have been known long before now if women had been physicians in the same numbers as men since traditional western medicine was started.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

I have a better question if anyone would like to answer. How old were you when you finally stopped seeing TOM?

I must say I have never in my life heard of it as being called Tom LOL

I did the mistake of counting down the months and like the other post 6 months later here was TOM she left a few months then came back again.

By the way I'm 54

I see the ObGyn next month and I know she may not remember this but I remember last year she told me if I still got IT after as 54 she would give me some test to see what was going on. AND I INTEND TO REMIND HER.

If I had TOM as late as December you're talking a minimium of age 55 before menopause. IF I have to wait for it to be a full year.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #8  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm 54 in a month and am pretty regular still, am wondering if it will ever end?
TOM is the strangest thing to call it ......lol I agree.
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

The average age of menopause in the United States is between 51 and 52 years, with the range being from 45-55. Numerous factors influence the age a woman goes through menopause. 54 is not at all unreasonable.

Last edited by Sskar; 01-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #10  

I am with you girls! I will be 52 next month. My GYN says I am no where NEAR menopause yet. I am actually on birth control pills. Never dreamed they would recommend birth control pills for a Grandma. Have had my period for over 40 years now. Come On! Enough is enough!!!
JJCaraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #11  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for all the input, ladies! And, to answer the age question-I'm 47 now, so haven't seen my TOM since I was 46. Doc's did do hormone tests 3 or 4 years ago and said my levels were so low, they were surprised I hadn't completely stopped already then. They really had no idea why so early, unless MS affects that and I'm always under a lot of stress. Or, it could just be genetic, as my sister, who's 45 now has just started having severe perimenopause symptoms, so I have been warning her about what may be coming

Thanks again!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

I went a full year with no TOM, my hormone levels said I was in menopause and then I had a few months of periods (with hormone levels still saying menopause)! Was also checked for any serious problems, got a clean bill of health, my thyroid was out of whack though. Since being on thyroid meds, no TOM. YEAAAAAA! That means no headaches either - double YEAAAAA!

By the way, at the beginning of the "TOM is back" investigation, my gyno said it was impossible that low thyroid had anything to do with it - that when you have no hormones you are in menopause - but she wasn't so sure after the results.
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #13  
Total Newbie

S/C/G: 159/159/130

Height: 5'06"

To join the general survey here... ;-)

I'm 54 and have been without The Visitor for 4 or 5 years... but am still struggling with hot flashes.

A friend of mine says to think of them as private vacations in the Tropics. (I tend rather to think of it as a personal space heater with a bad thermostat.<G>)

Does anyone besides me notice a link between The Change and an increased stubbornness in the extra pounds?

Ruth
Gladly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #14  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCaraker View Post
I am with you girls! I will be 52 next month. My GYN says I am no where NEAR menopause yet. I am actually on birth control pills. Never dreamed they would recommend birth control pills for a Grandma. Have had my period for over 40 years now. Come On! Enough is enough!!!
Thank you. I felt really silly calling to make appointment at age 50 for birth control pills, but I've been menstruating since age 11 and no sign of slowing down so was taking no chances...
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #15  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I had the hot flashes at 52, but still had periods. Of all things, my feet would get hot! I am 54 and if I do not see TOM by the end of April, it will have been a year. Same thing as others have posted, I dropped to 2 or 3 periods in my 51 year, then 2 when 52, 1 when 53. Three times this past year, I had very faint brownish discharge, but no actual period.

I am soooooo glad it is over. I had the periods from ****.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote