Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #106  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Default Jane, what about Isabella, and other various and sundry observations...

Well, it's been eight days since LYNN has posted, and that's a tad unusual - no matter how busy she may be, we usually hear something from her. I hope we don't have TWO MIAs now! Lynn, check in, lady! And I HOPE that Jane is able to track Isabella down and at least let us know that she's okay.
Today, - tah-dahhhhhhhh - is my last day of work for the next eleven days! I can't WAIT to get out of here! And wouldn't you know, I had to be in at 8:00 for a meeting! Bleeaaahhhhh. No, not planning any trips, just a "staycation", so to speak, but will get in some days at the beach, and maybe, if the spirit moves us, take a drive up the Maine coast, which is absolutely gorgeous, and maybe stay for a night or two if we feel like it. Tomorrow I believe the (extended) family is wanting to take a drive down to the Plimouth Plantation http://plimoth.org/, and we'll be accompanying them unless the weather is uncooperative. On Friday, DH will of course be "historically interpreting" at Old Sturbridge Village, so I'm thinking to take myself down to Newport for the day and enjoy a little "alone" time at that little hidden beach that I discovered for myself. The rest of the time - all next week - can just unfold however it does, and I'll be perfectly happy because I won't be at work.
Gayle, my "thinking woman's apple crisp" really isn't apple crisp at all - just a generous serving of the apple sauce that I make (stewed slowly for three to four hours on very low heat) by dicing the apples - skin left on - finely, adding dried cranberries, a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon, and Stevia to taste. Once that's ready, I'll typically serve it with roast pork or pork chops or some such, and then, a day or so later, make us a high-fiber, calorie conscious dessert - "Apple crisp" - by heating the apple sauce and serving it with a half cup of Fiber one (original) cereal sprinkled over it and a dollop of FF whipped cream on top. YUM. And, incidentally, I'm so GLAD to see you checking in regularly!
Rosey, the ONE thing we have to learn NOT to do is feel bad about it when we mess up. There isn't a one of us who hasn't done it and won't do it again from time to time. So, we shake the dust off our feet and jump back on the wagon. Case closed. Keep up the good work. You're going to be our poster child.
Freda, you are right on when it comes to what our stomachs will and won't tolerate once we get used to eating in a healthy way. Case in point, my recent indigestion attack following a really stupid late night, after not eating all day, encounter with a greasy pizza. Ack. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it in retrospect. I have to say that my stomach is really letting me know these days what I can and can't eat comfortably.
PT, I'm glad the weather is more to your liking - I know I can't stand humidity, but love the sun if it's @ 75 degrees out. I think September and October are my favorite months.
Bobbi, loved the donkey story - shared it with DH and he laughed out loud as well. I don't know if I could eat a "pet", so to speak, but by the same token, I do think that there is some kind of symbiotic balance that exists between farmers and their animals in which it is understood that the animal will be well fed and cared for, and treated humanely in return for eventually providing nourishment and nutrition to the farmer and his/her family. This, of course, doesn't apply to those "professional" farmers who raise chickens stacked up on top of each other in filthy pens and shoot them full of hormones in order to meet their contractual agreements with the big industrial chicken purveyors.
Mary, like you, I can gain quickly when I'm not paying attention to what I eat, and also lose when I put my mind to it. I need to be more focused, and I keep getting distracted. I'm really fighting with this last ten pounds that I want to lose - down 4, up 2, down 3, up 1, down 5, up 3 - and on and on, ad infinitum. MUST break through this crazy pattern, but so far, no luck.
Hi Karens! (Where are YOU, Karen3?) Hi Wilma! (Who else, who else? My old brain isn't cooperating....anyone that I've missed should post and remind me who they are! )
Have a grand day, y'all!

Z
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #107  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, THERE you are, Lynn! Sorry you're still feeling under the weather. Get well soon!
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #108  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Lynn ~ sorry you are still not feeling good. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Zoe ~ enjoy your time off. I especially like your beach plans Oh and thank you for the instructions how to make the "thinking woman's apple crisp" also for encouraging me to come here more often. I did always come, but didn't always know what to write.

Hello Bobbi, Donna, Mary, Karen and Karen, Wilma, Rosey and Freda. Will have to write a better note later.

I am headed out today to go visit my daughter Jennifer and her husband Mike and new baby Evie in North Carolina. Will be gone a week, so don't know if I will get a chance to get on a computer somewhere or not. My daugher Sara will be coming there also for a long weekend ~ that should be fun.

Hope you all are doing well.

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #109  

Morning GG's guess what?? the sun is shining today after 33 days of gloomy rain..my dh and his brother are headed to the cabin so i have some me time too..i luv it for the first day and then it gets to quiet..my bril is visiting from San Diego..he loves to play bingo and so do i so he treated me last nite..we didnt win but had a good time..zoe u are so rite we all can mess up but im back on track besides all that junk food made me feel like doodoo..i have lots i should be doing today but while the cats away i can play hoping you all have a great day rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #110  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All...
PT/Zoe, your staycation sounds lovely, and I know it'll rejuvenate you completely! Enjoy, enjoy!!!

Rosey, enjoy YOUR time, too!

Lovely day here. I'm showered and getting ready to roll. STUFF to do today!

I'm anxiously awaiting news from Jane about Isabella. I encourage everyone to give Lynn their email to put in her private and safe file, just in case we need to contact someone "off line".....

Everyone, be safe!
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #111  

Height: 5'3"

Here I am again..hope all is well. I went to my dh's PT session and we asked them to up his sessions to 3x week do he can get in as many as possible before his glaucoma surgery next month. He will still miss four sessions but hopefully can make them up later after he has permission from eye doc to get back to regular activity.

Then I waited while dh got a haircut and we got hungry so decided to try this new pizza place. We both got a slice and they were large...usually we share but we just didn't think about it when ordering. I got a salad but still ate my whole slice!
I was still on track but later this afternoon I got carried away eating crackers. Honestly I can get carried away eating anything esp anything salty or sweet! I convinced myself that I have to eat them and when they are gone they won't tempt me any more! Now what kind of sense is that?!! And just when my weight was coming down again too!

It's a nice day today...slightly overcast this am but lightly sunny this afternoon...just right. I finally have the laundry done (only took me 3 days!) and am almost caught up with other household chores.

Rosey - you are further north than us I see. Glad we are not the only ones that can have gloomy skies for days on end. Thankfully we are not now, though it is to be cooler for while again. I haven't heard the R word yet though.

Glynne - have fun with your family. It will be very hot in NC, won't it? We drove out there to visit our sons several times and it was hot and humid, although once we went in March and it was sunny but VERY cold! We were surprised by that but that was a year when they actually even got a little snow!

Lynne - So sorry you are still feeling poorly! Hope that you feel better soon. Did they change your antibiotic?
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #112  
GmaTo8

Just peeking in to tell you that I didn't forget your requests regarding Isabella.

Last edited by Jane; 08-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #113  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all,

It's another beautiful day here. The heat spell finally broke and it's cool and sunny. Just perfect. I'm actually getting outside and doing things. not much going on today. I'm visiting a friend who had knee surgery and taking her out to lunch. I know she must be getting stir crazy by now. She was one of those people who didn't believe in having a TV in the living room and so, no TV. And she is not a reader either. WHAT would you do?

Lynn, Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear that you are still feeling bad. Prayers that you feel better soon.

Z, Oh girl! 11 days!!! Enjoy every moment! Sleep late, hit the beach and read a lot. Sounds pretty great to me.

Mary, Hubby must be getting around quite well by now. So much easier to have a patient that can at least get out and walk around.

Donna, Hope you got all your STUFF done. Isn't it amazing how stuff piles up? I've been meaning to get down and clean the basement all summer. So many kids toys down there that they have outgrown. I want to take it to my family's kids so I better get busy soon.

Rosey, Do you realize where you will be this time next year? You will be a whole new person. On the outside anyway. Time is coming up quickly.

Bobbi, Do you have any chickens at all now? With the new egg scare, a few for fresh eggs wouldn't be a bad idea.

Everyone, make it a good day,

Freda

PS, if anyone hasn't given Lynn, or someone, their home e-mail address, I hope you do so soon. We do worry when we don't hear from someone. Actually, phone numbers wouldn't be bad either. At least we could get in touch in case of an emergency. If something happened the other family members might not answer e-mail. Like mine

Last edited by the slim me; 08-19-2010 at 09:20 AM.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #114  
Donna

Good Morning, All...
Freda, your message is a good one. The 3FC Address Book that Lynn prepared has our email and home addresses and phone numbers. When the site was down a couple of times, we were able to commiserate and stay in touch while our blood clotted from deprivation-of-site!

Jane, thanks for your efforts with Isabella.

Didn't get as much STUFF done yesterday as I should have... exercises in futility! It's SO annoying to have to depend on other people to do pieces of the puzzle, dontcha know?

PT/Zoe, be sure you check in while you're on your staycation... just a long "sigh......." will be sufficient! Enjoy, enjoy!

Nothing to report. Broke 200 for the first time in over 15 years! Yeah!!!!

Have a lovely day and be safe, Everyone!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...I am here. Been reading every morning but just hurt so much didn't feel like posting. Have a full blown case of leftside sciatica.Sitting with ice on lower back. Can't laydown, sit, stand or walk. This is DD and Dh's usual problem and new to me. Sitting on a gallon bag of ice to see if can jump start my leg this morning. Even swimming hurts. Did my weekly weigh in sunday and same....which is ok since I feel so swollen...

Hotter than ever down here. Cooled off to 81 last night. Hugh afternoon storms.One last night had Dash draped around my head like a scarf. He curled around the top of my pillow. Laughing so hard couldn't call DH to check it out. Felt like 70lb brillo pad.

You all are talking about starting to see the end of summer...and here it is just about midsummer. Amazingly there still are no storms brewing since the knowitalls predicted 18-20....must be same guys who say hugh oil spill and now it's all gone????? huh?

Important question....Survivor starts next month with young and old tribes. Okay how is Jimmy Johnson gonna survive without his blow dryer and hair gel. Even if you don't like Survivor you have gotta watch that!

One thing about lack of mobility you can let your fingers do the walking. I called cable company and for $6.95 got a box for the bedroom, whoopy now I can watch more weird shows. Called electric company and got signed up for a program where we save $14 a month by agreeing to have hot water tank or a/c shut off when power needed elsewhere for 16 minutes. Now DH can click away with his clicker and I'll have mine.

I'll be back later to do personals.....hugs karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #116  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning girls!
Congrats Donna, 15 years huh? I'm very proud of you, you go girl.
Quote:
Nothing to report. Broke 200 for the first time in over 15 years! Yeah!!!!
I can't gab, garden freezing, apples, etc. I found another substitution list in the allrecipes.com site this morning. I posted it under our recipe section, it's an A to Z list. I printed it out on card stock and sealed it over with clear contact paper so I don't get food on it while using it. It fits on two card stock, glue them back to back, then cover with clear contact paper so you just need to flip to the back side instead of dealing with two pieces of stock paper.
Have a good one!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #117  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default Belly Fat

Belly Fat
Quote:
Big Belly, Big Health Threat…
…even if you're not fat. Researchers who followed more than 100,000 men and women age 50 or older from 1997 to 2006 found that those with the biggest bellies were twice as likely to die over the course of a decade as those whose waists were slimmest. The study, published in the August 9, 2010 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine, found that people with big waists were at greater risk of dying from heart disease, cancer and respiratory disorders. The researchers said that ideal waist size for men is 40 inches or less; for women, 35 inches or less. However, more than half of all American men over 50 have big bellies, as do more than 70 percent of women. In some cases, participants' weight didn't change over the years, but their shapes shifted and midsections got bigger. Beware if you can't button a waist band or have to let your belt out a notch: that could be a warning of trouble ahead, said researcher Eric Jacobs of the American Cancer Society, which sponsored the study. Some researchers subscribe to the theory that abdominal fat secretes proteins and hormones that contribute to inflammation, raise cholesterol levels and interfere with the way the body processes insulin.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #118  
Donna

Thanks, Bobbi....!

Now, regarding belly fat, does anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of the floppy lower abdominal skin? I read that surgery is the only option, which isn't acceptable. Any ideas will be entertained!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #119  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! It's cooler here today but the sun did come out this afternoon. Only thing I did was water the plants as I missed yesterday. We went to Home Depot looking for a blind for the spare bedroom but they didn't have anything I wanted except on order. Want to check at Pennys first ...hoping for something inexpensive. Our grandson will be here soon and I just put new curtains up in that room that are navy blue but very thin and he will be waking up very early if I don't put up a blind.

Freda - yes dh is walking pretty well with his cane. He does forget to take a good step..heel then toe..he tends to put his foot flat so working on that but he can do it when he thinks about it. It's is great to have him more independent but he will have glaucoma surgery next month and be back to dependence for a couple weeks at least afterwards. Wish we could postpone it but don't think we'd better as his eye is getting worse fast.

Bobbi - thanks for the reminder about the waist measurement. Right away I measured mine and it is about 3 inches over and that is fairly snug. Of course I kinda knew that. I carry most of my weight in my torso and esp in my upper arms and abdomen.

Karen - so sorry about your pain! I have sciatica pain too and also in my left leg. It comes and goes but usually stays several weeks at a time and just a few weeks off. Doc says I'm probably just going to have to live with it. He says it maybe part of my neuropathy which I have in my feet and fingers too.
My leg REALLY gets to hurting when I sit too long. At least it helps me limit my computer time. I actually feel better when up and moving.

I love Survivor and can't wait til it starts up again. But who's Jimmy Johnson...sorry probably I should know him.

Well, we are going out to eat tonight so gotta get off.....
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....What a mess I made. Iced my back for hours and felt pretty good...so went to bed with a bag of ice and woke up at 4:30am soaking wet and frozen. Yup bag broke and pillow top mattress was a little wet. Luckly Dh was sleeping in the other bedroom or he'd have thought I wet the bed (yeah right with ice cold urine)! Striped the bed and crawled back on the otherside which was so wrong for my back and dozed until time to get up. Have to wrestle the sheets back on if or when the mattress dries...Dh really can't do it with his neuropathy. ahhhhhhh i wanna a wife!!!!!! I have a frost biten bum and my hip leg and even toes ache.....no i wanna a mommy.

Mary....Jimmy Johnson is the x Dallas football coach with perfect white hair that he admits he blow dries and gels. Looks like a helmet. I forget who else is old and in the tribe. Can't wait for it to start.

I put a couple of those gel packs in freezer for tonight. Now I know why they say treating yourself gives you a fool for a patient.

Later, hugs karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote