Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #16  

Height: 5'3"

Finally found a few minutes to post. We have been on the run all day. Took dh to the doctor today and they x-rayed his leg. Doctor said he is doing very well and can now bear full weight on his leg! Yea! Now I will be more comfortable letting him do thing on his own. He can even drive but I asked him to wait a few days at least as I want to be sure he can move the leg fast enough of he needs to. I think he can do it though. Today he spent some time walking around in the yard talking to the neighbors etc. He is very social and enjoys that. The utility markers came today and marked where all the lines are so the tree people are coming tomorrow to remove the tree and I'm sure dh will be watching and supervising.

We also went and got the oil changed in the car...Joe usually does that but was willing to have it done this time. Then we did a little shopping at Home Depot before heading home.

The doctor also said he can now start out-patient PT so tomorrow we are going to set up an appointment for that. We have to take the orders in to do it and didn't get to it today.

I got to the yard late today but did get all the plants watered and harvested one cucumber. The rest are way too small.

our son called late last night to tell us about his problems. I feel sorry but he was upset and unwilling to listen to reason, so just let him talk. I hope things work out for him. I only got about 4 hours sleep so am very tired right now. Think I'll rest a bit before starting dinner. It's just hamburgers tonight so pretty easy.

Hope you have all had a good day.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #17  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G'morning, all - half-way (or almost) through another week. Amazing how quickly the time passes these days. DH & I went and picked up a turtle sandbox and water play table - oh, and 150 pounds of play sand - for the twinnies when I got home from work last night. Dropped it at my daughter's house, and then came home to a supper of meatloaf (that I made Tuesday night) and baked sweet potatoes and spinach. Yum. The meatloaf was a little moister than I like - I smushed the veggies up way too much, and my meatloaf is about 1/3 ground turkey, 1/3 grated Fiber One cereal and 1/3 chopped veggies - onions, red & green pepper, zucchini aquash, summer squash, mustard greens (or kale), I don't know how I did it, but I really smushed those veggies up almost into a puree before adding them to the meat. Guess I wasn't paying attention. So the meat loaf tasted really good (I season it with black pepper, sea salt, Adobo, and a good hearty few squirts of ketchup) but was a little mooshy. Ah, well. Can't win 'em all.
I'm wanting to try those squash fries, Bobbi - we love sweet potato fries and they must be a little bit similar.
Hope you're doing better today, Lynn.
Hiya PT. Summer will be over before we know it. I don't know why I'm at all surprised by that - it ALWAYS seems to fly by - but I'm at that point where I'm thinking Fall and actually looking forward to seeing the leaves change color and feeling a little crispness in the air - oh, and the apple picking, which I love. But I need a few more beach days before I'll be ready to let go of summer.
Glad to hear that your DH is healing well, Mary. I'm sure he was relieved to hear that, and is looking forward to things getting back to normal.
Hiya Rosey. Pretty quiet here, too.
Hiya Freda, the Karens and Isabella wherever-you-are. Nobody has her personal email?
Have a great day, GGs!!!

Z
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

Would you all mind if I joined you in your chat? I have been on here before, but it was a long while ago.

My name is Wilma and I was doing great, then life got in the way ( or at least that is the excuse I used) gained alot of my loss back, and here I am again starting over. I am 50 years old soon to be 51, and I am a kitchen manager in our county jail.... Not the greatest job to have when you are trying to lose weight, but I know I can do it, as I have before. I do have a rare heart condition so I have to be careful with over doing my exercising, but I can walk etc. all I want, I just have to be sure my heart rate dosn't go over 110 while I am doing it.

So here's to a new beginning.

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

I went to gym this morning, but didn’t get very far. After about 40 minutes I gave up - cold sweat & nausea. Probably caused by the new antibiotic. I have 3 doctors’ apts. Coming up. Hopefully, at least one of them will figure out what’s going on.

Not eating right – not eating much – not gaining weight.

Today is a kind of "memorial lunch" for my friend. She didn't want any funeral or ceremony, but her siblings and friends feel like we need something.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim n up View Post
Would you all mind if I joined you in your chat? I have been on here before, but it was a long while ago.

My name is Wilma and I was doing great, then life got in the way ( or at least that is the excuse I used) gained alot of my loss back, and here I am again starting over. I am 50 years old soon to be 51, and I am a kitchen manager in our county jail.... Not the greatest job to have when you are trying to lose weight, but I know I can do it, as I have before. I do have a rare heart condition so I have to be careful with over doing my exercising, but I can walk etc. all I want, I just have to be sure my heart rate dosn't go over 110 while I am doing it.

So here's to a new beginning.

Wilma
Hi Wilma,

WELCOME! You have found a GREAT place for support. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....same ole same ole down here in the Sunshine state. Hot as the devil and afternoon naps seem to be in order. Gonna be kinda funny napping at the bridge table this afternoon. 1 No Trump snoooooooooooooore!

Hard to believe that school opens here in less than 2 weeks. Teachers are starting this week.

DH got me 2 pretty pearl rings on ebay for my birthday. I had marked them as to watch and forgot about them months ago. The one is a large pearl in a silver setting. There was no minium and he was the only bidder. So got it for 1 cent and alot of postage. Kind of guady but love the price. The other is really pretty set in silver wire. Many years ago he would check out the Service Mechandise catalog for things I was looking for and I ended up with nice gifts. Then they went out of business and the only store near his plant was Lowes. Yup, I got a sander one Xmas! That beat the dozen vaccum cleaners I've also gotten....until had the hissy fit of the century over a wet/vac 2 years ago.

Welcome Wilma....jump right in. We love to have new friends.

Lynn...to repeat advice given a few days ago. DRINK CRANBERRY JUICE! Gallons and gallons along with water by the gallon. Nurses have used cranberry juice forever to relieve urinary tract infections. It changes the Ph and the rest of the world just figured it out. Friend tried the pills but not as efffective. They have sugarfree.....DRINK GIRL DRINK.....me yelling! I keep an emergency bottle hidden in pantry.

Zoe...just love that new picture. Wowsy you look fabulous!

I only weigh in on Sundays. Can drive myself insane with daily weights. So of course after vacation I "forgot" to check. Denial is my game for sure.

Already 10am and haven't done a thing around here...gesh. Hugs everyone, karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #22  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

I'm sorry, I haven't done a very good job of keeping up with you all last month. I have to confess ~ I spend too much time on Facebook lately.

Thank you for the birthday wishes yesterday ~ it was a nice day.

I have signed up for Weight Watchers and will go to my first meeting today. I had to do something. I have been doing worse and worse. Not doing the right things, weight going up and up. I think partly it is the effects of my new job ~ I love it ~ but it is less physically active ~ is catching up with me.

Last week was kind of rugged. My husband had one of those talks with me about my health. We don't engage in those conversations very often, because it usually turns out disastrous. I sort of felt like I was in one of those interventions that I have heard described. He and my daughter discuss me when I am not there. My daughter said to him, can't you talk to mom and he said ~ she won't listen to me. My daughter from time to time, talks to me ~ thinking I should get one of those lap band things. So, each time, I consider it and start looking into it, but every time, I get all bummed and feel miserable. I think it is a good choice for some people, but in the end, I feel miserable contemplating it for me and because of this, I just don't feel like it is the option for me.

I was telling one of my friends about it and she suggested Weight Watchers. I have tried lots of things, but have never tried that. I think because of the cost of it. My husband has seen me spend/waste so much money over the years in this weight loss battle ~ that that was to him just one more waste of money. But I think we are at the point where ~ it is either spend the money on trying to fix this or there will be no choice but to spend the money to deal with the health problems that will inevitably (sp?) come along.

I hope this is the thing that clicks and helps me to get on the right track make some progress and fix this thing.

More later ~ hope you all are having a good day.

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #23  

Good Morning everyone,

Nothing much going on, just the usual busy stuff. I did work the weekend, and monday was just catching up with everything...housework! YUCK! necessary stuff. Yesterday i worked at Curves for DIl so she could take the Grands to Demolition Day at the fair. I usually work one shift but yesterday was 2, so it was almost all day, over at 8, couple of hours for lunch. So, exercise is ok, food not so much.

Wilma, Hi, welcome. Hope to get to know you. come often and talk to us. It does help! and walking is a great exercise. We all have limitations and we just do what we can.

Lynn, So sorry to hear about your friend. I think a memorial service sounds perfect. A time to remember and rejoice in her life. I hope you feel better soon.

Z, fall is my favorite season. Love everything about it. The crispness of the air, crunching leaves with the grands, the apple picking....And the end of the heat! And, GREAT new picture.

Mary, Good news with hubby. It makes things much easier when they are able to get around better. And it hard to remember not to over do. After a long time of being able not to do things you want to do everything all at one time. I'm speaking from experience here.

Gail, Happy belated Birthday!!! To me a birthday is always a new beginning. I hope WW works for you. I think it's a great aid to dieting.

Karen, Sounds like hubby has finally got the birthday thing down. I am a very practical person, but even I would rebel at a wet-vac! Adn I agree with the cranberry juice and water.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 08-04-2010 at 10:08 AM.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #24  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
Welcome Wilma It sounds like you have a very interesting job working at the jail. Do you plan all the meals at the jail? Do you take your meals there too? You said you've lost before while managing the kitchen, maybe you can fill your plate up with 2/3 veggies and lay low on the high calories starch/protein.

Quote:
I'm wondering where Freda, Isabella, Karen (Florida) are too?
Zoe...summers always fly by for me too and it's my favorite season of the year. We've had to run our central air quite a bit lately because of the over 100 degrees with heat index. I've always been a sun worshipper and love the heat. I miss having our bedroom window wide open at night. My bed is right next to a large window and I can look up and see the big dipper everynight and the night air smells devine. I love your new picture, wish I could change mine. I can't post pictures anymore on this site? I've written to 3FC's and they couldn't help me with it.
Lynn...what's going on with you? This sure has been a trying year for you with your health and the death of a dear friend. I hope your doctors can figure out what's going on before you start back to work this fall. Aren't you going on another trip before your classes start?
Quote:
I went to gym this morning, but didn’t get very far. After about 40 minutes I gave up - cold sweat & nausea. Probably caused by the new antibiotic. I have 3 doctors’ apts. Coming up. Hopefully, at least one of them will figure out what’s going on.

Mary...So happy for you, your DH's xrays, the good healing and his ability to slowly venture back into the norm. What a strain on your body doing all the yard work hubby used to do but maybe it's been a good help with your weight too. I think you said this is the lowest your been for a long time.
I've been going to bone builders class for 4 months now we've all notice the difference in a few areas. We alternate with arm and leg weights, also do things like leg lifts, lifting our bodies out of the chair, etc. We are in a big room with the chair forming a circle, one of the routines we do is walking around the circle with one foot in front of the other. When I started I lost my balance sometimes, now I never do. It's so improved my balance and I've noticed my arms are getting trimmer and stronger from the 5 pound weights I use. I also purchased some of the sneakers that are round on the bottom, any of you have them? I can't think of the name brand ones that retail for $100.00, I'll think of them after I post this. (Sketchers?) I purchased some inexpensive ones just to see if I liked them, I do! They really work the calf muscles. Danskin makes them if you want to try out a cheaper model of the real thing.
Hey Jess...how's the heat index in Colorado? I know how you hate the heat, hang in there girl friend. August already and the fall is approaching.
Rosey...I started reading a David Baldacci 'True Blue' book. It's the first time I've read any of his books and I love them. It's similar to John Grissom books. Is that spelled right? I scratched Jonathan Kellerman off my list of books NOT to read, I couldn't finish it, BORING! I think someone said his wife/son also writes, give me a run down on their books.
I'm going to list some vintage stuff on ebay today, I better get breakfast eaten and get to it.
You all have a great day!
Hi Freda....I see we posted at the same time. I'll have to go back and see what Karen posted about a wet vac for her birthday?
This is the 3rd time I've edited this post, Karen......O.K. I had to giggle out loud on the Sander, Vaccum cleaners and the Wet Vac.
Quote:
I got a sander one Xmas! That beat the dozen vaccum cleaners I've also gotten....until had the hissy fit of the century over a wet/vac 2 years ago.
Early on in our marriage DH purchased a toaster for part of my Christmas present...that was the first and last time I received an appliance for a gift. I grumbled for months about it and he's a fast learner. Your DH sounds like a very practical person, that's good because someone has to be the spender in the family, right?

Glynn...Good luck with weight watchers, it's a great program and the weekly weigh in will keep you on program. I went for awhile a few years ago and liked it. Just hang in there and PLEASE DON'T QUIT. You can show your hubby and daughter what' you're made of when you put your mind to it.
Quote:
I have signed up for Weight Watchers and will go to my first meeting today. I had to do something. I have been doing worse and worse. Not doing the right things, weight going up and up.

Now I really do have to quite messing around and get on with my day.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-04-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #25  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Lots of postings!

Nothing to report here. I'm am boring in the extreme! Life is boring (um, serene) in the extreme! Status quo, over and over and over....

PT/Zoe, just think of me and Fall and I know you'll be happier... I won't be whining and crying and weeping and wailing about the heat. This week should be okay, depending on who you hear: the WeatherFools think it'll be in the mid 90s but the Weather Service says 80s. I'm hoping for the Weather Service! It hasn't been as bad as it usually is; I daresay losing 40# has helped??

Mary, I'm so glad your DH is on the high side of recovery. He'll be happy to be completely independent again, yes?

Sounds like you're all doing well.... I surely do wish we'd hear from Isabella, though! Stay cool, everyone, and be safe!!

Last edited by jess1; 08-04-2010 at 11:50 AM.
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #26  

Morning everyone..still raining here..this has been the worst wet summer ever..nothing new going on here..except for laundry and dishes..wheres the house work fairy when u need one..pooof all done ..Karen my dh has given me vacumes,a gun, a trash can and a can opener and a lawn chair he made himself out of pvc pipe to name a few..he didnt get it so i started giving him a list..now we are both happy lol..Bobbie i luv baldacci books,read them all..glynne i loved ww..i did best on that one..but as my health issues got worse..and was in hosp for so long and am in a wheel chair now i realized that i need to do something more drastic..both my sisters have had weight loss surg..now im in the process of doing the same..my family always talked to me too..it hurt and was not productive..its like u can lead a horse to water but u cant make him drink.. i know how you are feeling ..now im excited about my choice..lynn hope they have a solution for u soon ..mary am so glad your dh is doing better..zoe and jess and any one else i missed have a great day rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

morning....I just know there is a joke in here somewhere....Have a dentist appointment followed by a lawyer appointment this morning......karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #28  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Nutin' exciting here either, errands in town and bone builders at 5:30pm.
Jess...I've been thinking of you for days now, we order Colorado peaches from the local Christian youth group every year. They are the most delicious peaches we've ever had. I have a full crate due in tomorrow and another crate later on. They are expensive but worth every mouth watering, drizzle down the chin fantastic. Plus it helps out the Christian youth group, 'The Rock'.
We're eating light tonight, garden lettuce with phoney 'Crab Delite' meat and lots of fresh tomatoes on it. Zucchini is plentiful this year as usual but my butternut squash isn't looking so bountiful.
I have been babysitting 3 little baby wrens. Dummy mom wren pasted a nest in the folds of our patio umbrella while it was closed up. DH wanted to eat on the deck last week so I opened up the umbrella and out popped 3 new born wrens, no feathers yet or eyes open. I took the glass out of one side of an old bird feeder that had a roof on it and place the babies/nest in a cool whip container under the roof and on the patio table. I have grape vines growing all over and they cover most of the old bird feeder/baby nest. I looked at them the next day and all appeared dead. (they fell about 4 feet from nest to glass top tabletop) The day after I saw one breathing, the day after one more looked alive. I'm happy to see yesterday all 3 were alive, growing feathers, eyes open and looking at me!
The parent wrens seems to know I saved their babies because they just silently watch me each day checking on them. It's fun watching the adult wrens, daddy flies to momma wren with insects.....he puts it in her mouth and she then hops over and feeds the babies.
And summer's closing in on us all and I better enjoy nature while it's nice outside........you all get outside and enjoy the beauties that surround us.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #29  

Height: 5'3"

Bobbi, loved your story about the birds! We enjoy watching our birds too. Before we retired we hardly noticed them but now they are a large part of our daily lives. You mentioned having zucchini ...it seems strange that we have no zucchini this year...usually we are overflowing with it! But my dh did not get around to planting it before his accident. We have quite a few cucumbers now though only one has been big enough to harvest so far. And we have a small green pepper and several green tomatoes in our very small garden. We did harvest a LOT of garlic and onions though.

Yes, Bobbi the yard work has been a blessing. I have enjoyed it and usually don't even feel tired by it. Right now I have a UTI and that is wiping me out and it's making everything difficult, but that's just cause I don't feel well. I'm hoping the extra fluid and cranberry juice will take care of it but if not I'll go to the lab tomorrow. And yes my weight was down Sunday but so far this week it has been coming up again. I hope I can get it down again by Sun. I would like your bone class. I do miss the gym and probably will start back before long. Just so busy right now, but dh will start going to the outpatient PT tomorrow. I am still driving him around but I am sure he will start driving soon and I can take off and go to the gym when he goes there.

Sorry you didn't like the Kellerman book. He's usually one of my favorites. His wife (forget her name) writes about a Jewish family...it is a second marriage for both of them...she is Jewish and he converted when they married. He is a cop. She has two boys from her first husband and he has a grown dd who is also a cop now. Then they have a little girl together. So the stories usually revolve around their family issues as well as a crime in which he is involved as a cop. She writes differently from her dh so you might like her better.

Bobbi - I tried Skechers don't fit me well but I do have Rock n Tones which I think are New Balance. I haven't worn them since I stopped the gym as I normally only wear them there. I do feel my calf muscles working when I wear them. I tend to be an upside down triangle so if I could build up my legs more I'd look better. The exercise I do at the gym has helped a lot though.

Had to laugh at all the gifts you guys have gotten from your dh! I actually wouldn't mind an appliance gift if it was something I'd been wanting and would make my life easier. We are on a budget at Christmas so gifts are small these days. He bought me a large pack of dish towels and one of those 'ove gloves (a different brand but same idea)...and I loved them both as they were things I needed/wanted! I gave him a mug with a picture of his youngest two grandchildren on it and I forgot what else. I know I gave him two small things. We used to spend a lot on the holidays but we have cut way back.

Freda - so far my dh is ambulating more but is being very cautious. He sometimes fixes his own lunches now. This am he hired two neighbor boys to haul the wood (from the tree we had taken down) to the back yard. I was happy to see that he didn't try to get out there and help but just sat and supervised.

I mowed the back yard and watered the plants this am but waited til now to do the front yard. Think I'd better get out there. With this UTI I have to run in a lot. so it takes me a while. The analgesic does help some for the spasms though for which I am very grateful!

Talk more later...

Karen - hope both your dental and lawyer appts went well.

Rosey - I'm glad you feel good about your choice of surgery and hope it goes well. Seems like a lot of people are choosing that route these days and it seems to help most of them.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #30  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Evening, All...
Just making an appearance.... seems like we're all off doing, what?, something!

Bobbi, I LOVE the wren story! How cute! And my brother lives in Palisade, CO where most of those yummy peaches are grown. He has a couple of acres in peach orchard, in the paradise they call home! Aren't they the BEST peaches? They're so juicy it dribbles down your arms... oh, yum!!

Mary, I hope that UTI gets better fast. Are you on antibiotics yet? You need to get that checked so that the infection doesn't spread into your bloodstream. High fevers from infection are NOT good things to have! I'm thinking of my Aunty Ann, my 95 year old aunty... she had a UTI at Christmas, didn't go to the doctor, had a 104 fever for days, and it did a job on her. We nearly lost her by the time she got medical attention... ICU, massive antibiotics, etc... Take care of yourself!!

PT/Zoe, are you well? Everyone, have a lovely evening. Maybe I'll have something worthy to say on the morrow!
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote