Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #136  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Rosey, your g'babies are GORGEOUS! That picture should be framed!! The pups are cute, too!

KarenFLO, I think I want some of what you're taking! You're very funny when you're ripped! I do hope you feel better soon, though!

Nothing going on here. I'm watching pretaped movies and am totally gorking today. It feels good! I'm going to go cook some chicken for the coming week. My neighbors are bbq-ing chicken. Maybe I'll go hang over the fence and let my lower lip quiver...

Later, lovely ones! Everyone, feel better and be safe!
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #137  

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick checkin tonight as I have a few things I still need to do tonight before I consider my "work week" finished. I know Sunday is supposed to be the first day of the week but with my housework I consider it the last day...I try to get everything done by Sat night but if I don't manage that I finish on Sunday.

Went to church this am and met up with some friends who we hadn't seen for a while. They didn't know about Joe's accident so we had lots to tell them of course.

Came home and I fixed some grilled halibut and salad. Then I went to the grocery store to catch a few bargains. Wasn't real successful but bought a few things. Got some of those 40 cal fudgesicles!

Z - the gs that is coming to visit is 10 1/2. He stays with us every year at this time while his parents go to Burning Man. He will miss a couple days of school as usual. I don't like that they don't impress upon him the importance of education but I am glad he comes to us instead of going with them or elsewhere.

Karen - The flag is not a bad idea actually although this gs is not being taught to respect the flag or his country which makes me sad. We do what we can when he's here though. While I don't like everything that is happening these days I still feel grateful to live in the USA. A whole lotta people still want to come here for some reason so we can't be all bad! I'll pass on the thumb tacks though (for now at least!) and chalk that up to your drugged state. Hope you feel better at least.

Gotta run...
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

I am meeting my DF this afternoon & we will have lunch out & then go to see the new Nanny McPherson movie with Emma Thompson.

Have a good day,

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #139  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Smile 53 year old newbie

Hello everyone,

I have just recently joined 3FC and love the fact that there is a group for those of us 50+.

Brief Background

I am 53 years old, married, four grown children (25-30) and four grandchildren (6 months - 5 years). I work full-time, and have been dealing with weight loss issues my enire adult life. I made a decision in January that enough was enough and started on this journey to get healthy. I have several reasons to get healthy:

1. To be around to enjoy my children/grandchildren
2. To feel energized and strong
3. To deal with stress (husband is disabled and condition is worsening)
4. To be able to go to an amusement park and sit in the rides with my grandkids

I have changed my diet and eat a whole new way (more fiber, whole grains, additional fruits/veggies, and lots of water).

I exercise 6 times per week, Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs four days per week, yoga/pilates and strength training two days per week, ride my bicycle on the weekends and walk 2.5 miles each work day during my lunch hour.

So far this has been working and as of this morning I have lost 38.5 pounds. I have set realistic goals and hope to get to my goal weight of 150 lbs by 2012.

I just needed some additional support from those of you going through the same daily struggles I have been going through.

I am looking forward to reading the threads and hope I will pick up some ideas to help me.

Toonses
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #140  
Donna

Good Morning, All...
Toonses, welcome! Sounds like you're on the right track and are going to be an inspiration to us all!!

Nothing to report. Cool here this week, so sayeth the WeatherFools. I'm glad! Status quo, otherwise!

I hope all feel well and healthy! PT/Zoe, continue to enjoy!

Waiting and hoping to hear something from Isabella! Everyone, be safe!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #141  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning and welcome toonses!
You certainly are going in the right direction and congrats on the 38.5 pound loss! One of the best things about posting on the 50+ thread is that we've all got some aches, pains, disabilities with ourselves or spouses and the support is awesome here!
Summertime our posts are not as daily or numerous as the other 9 months of the year, we all take advantage of the summer weather. You'll gradually hear from all of us over the next month and you can check out our personal profiles too.
The usually going on here, MIL is moved and complaining as usual. I'm making applesauce again, 1/2 the apples have fallen off that tree and the end is in site. I have a later apple tree that isn't ready yet, those apples aren't as sweet and better for pie. Good thing I don't make pie, the crust is too fattening. I've been making Apple crisp with Splenda or sometimes Stevia and only the oatmeal crumbly top is fattening. The trick is to force most of it on hubby so the crisp isn't calling my name.
I would gladly send you gals some fresh tomatoes if I could, I ran a huge pail of tomatoes through a juicer that takes the seeds and skin off. Sure takes all the work out of freezing. I've got zucchini to shred and freeze today, best get to it.
You all have a great day, where are you Isabella?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-23-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hello....called Chiropractor at 8:30 and girl asked if I could come in at 9. Boy did I. 1/2 acuppa coffee and then spent an hour sitting in the waiting room. Wow that was stupid! Anyway they did complete exam and then a Tends treatment and massage on a tilt table. I was a drunk sailor when I got up. Couldn't walk straight. Came home with instructions to rest and ice. Well I came home to ice rest and pills. Am back to happy camper stage. Used the whole pile of pillows last night and with the latest pill dose slept like a dead soul. woke up exactly same position. "L"

I am so tempted to make this tart I found in Diabetic magazine. Combination of apple and sweet potato....may do it later after a wee nap. 1/2 acuppa don't do it for this chick........snoooore!

Hi Toonses...welcome to Golden Girls. Wonderful you have come so far. You find having the GG to support you on this journey is a big help.

Really can't do any exercises right now. darn that doesn't disappoint me...maybe try the pool this afternoon. hugs, karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #143  
GmaTo8

I was hoping to see a post from Isabella when I checked in here. The email address in her info may be outdated, so she might not have even received my message.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #144  

Hi everyone.. welcome toones you'll like it here..my dh picked up the mail and i had quite a few pkgs(umm e-bay) anyways i had ordered some new bras..now when u are built like me its hard to find pretty underwaear..but i like lacy pretty undies even if im the only one that sees it..so i tried on my new bras and boy have i shrunk, not a happy camper..why is it we always loose the most there..my girls have shrunk and they are saggy and well lower..i told my dh i wasnt perky any more( well what 61 yr old is truthfully) his comment was you never where perky; well not sure i liked that comment but i knew he was kidding tho cuz his eyes where twinkeling..anyways the bras where so big they are going back..hoping your day is good..(((hugs)) for all rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #145  

I was pleasantly surprised. Went to TGIF for lunch. They had new lunch-sized salads on the menu. Cheaper & smaller than their regular salads. Just the right size for me.

Lynn
Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #146  
Donna

Quick post....

I baked cupcakes for the neighbor's b'day and didn't put any oil in the mix. They turned out GREAT, with a pound cake consistency, very flavorful and a LOT less calories! YUM! I also heated the canned icing (I'm sure you good cooks all make it from scratch...... however ) and drizzled the cupcakes. Took about 1/3 of the usual amount! I feel very virtuous on their behalf!

Rosey, I love your posts....!!

Last edited by jess1; 08-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #147  

Good Morning Everyone,

Today did 126 minutes of exercise. Upped the eliptical from 5 minutes to 6 minutes.

Pill update - cut out the pain pills totally & cut the sleeping pills from 2 to 1. I plan to take 1 for the next couple of nights & then cut them out entirely. They make me feel depressed the day after I take them.

Carb update - while I was sick, I ate WAY too many carbs. I am trying to cut back on them - still have a small piece of cake from "Cake Boss" bakery left. My DD & SIL are coming to my house tonight to finish it. After tonight, I am planning on a week of VERY LOW carbs. I am sure my blood sugar is up.

Today is my book club meeting - discussing Snow Flower & the Secret Fan. Eating salad for lunch.

Lynn
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #148  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
Toonsie...What's your favorite lunch to prepare that's easy, low calorie and delicious? You've had great success already, I'm just curious if you bring your lunches to work and what you have. I'm in a rut and eat the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch.
Mary...40 calorie fudgesicles? I never look in that department because I thought it was all more calories than I wanted in the house. But I LOVE fudgesicles, I'm going to write that on my 'want list'.
Rosey...you're too funny, so is your hubby. I don't remember being so perky when I was younger, I probably was but didn't think much about it until the girls headed South. Same with my winged underarms, I never realized I had them until I started looking at the other gals in my bone building class. Some of them had underarm wings and I thought to myself, glad I don't. But then I looked when I got home,! I have been doing 100 arm reps 6 days a week since and believe me, it doesn't help. I'll have those for life along with my tummy fat.
Quote:
i told my dh i wasnt perky any more( well what 61 yr old is truthfully) his comment was you never where perky; well not sure i liked that comment but i knew he was kidding tho cuz his eyes where twinkeling
Donna...Did you substitute applesauce instead of oil? Yesterday I made two loaves of zucchini/pineapple bread and it called for 1 cup of oil. I didn't use oil either, just subbed 1 cup applesauce and it turned out yummy. I don't use canned frosting because DH doesn't like frosting on his cake but I've read where you can whip up canned frosting and don't have to use so much. I can see where heating it would have a good effect too. DH likes sugar free pudding and SF cool whip on his cake or fresh fruit and cool whip so I never bother with frosting.
Quote:
Quick post....

I baked cupcakes for the neighbor's b'day and didn't put any oil in the mix. They turned out GREAT, with a pound cake consistency, very flavorful and a LOT less calories! YUM! I also heated the canned icing

Karen...Hug for you, last time I went to chiropractor I could hardly walk into the office. The apple/sweet tator sounds wonderful, lets us know if it's worth the calories and post the recipe. I have an abundance of apples and we planted sweet tators this year so I'm all set.
Lynn...Hugs for you too, Nothing worse than depression, hubby gets bouts of it and I know it's no fun.
Quote:
Pill update - cut out the pain pills totally & cut the sleeping pills from 2 to 1. I plan to take 1 for the next couple of nights & then cut them out entirely. They make me feel depressed the day after I take them.
Hey Karen (MO), got your computer fixed yet? We're thinking of you.
Hey Freda, what are you doing?
Jane...thanks for trying, I'm hoping Isabella and family are safe.
You all have a great day and hi to Glynne too!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #149  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Weeeeelllllll, It's been raining for the past two days...pretty depressing. Supposed to clear up Thursday and be nice through the weekend, but can't go away anywhere as we're having a big birthday bash for my elder daughter's 40th birthday on Friday night. My younger DD and I have been running around buying party favors and such, planning centerpieces and menus, etc., etc. I don't know if it's maybe just the weather, or age creeping up on me, but my enthusiasm isn't very high these days. I have no desire to be a part of this extravaganza, but naturally can't NOT be. Maybe I'll feel happier (????) when the sun comes out again. If it's nice on Thursday - which is what they're predicting - maybe we'll go to Newport. In the meantime, I have plenty to occupy me in the house, but again, the enthusiasm just isn't there. I'm not a terribly happy camper these days, I guess. Eating a lot of hull-less popcorn, running around doing a lot of essentially meaningless things. Yay! (Oh, and would like to see ten pounds drop immediately off my stubborn danged body!)
I WISH there was some news of Isabella! What can have happened? Even if her computer gave out, I'm sure she would've gotten a message off via her son's or daughter-in-law's.
I would dearly LOVE an egg salad sandwich. I make my egg salad by chopping hard boiled eggs really, really fine with an old hand chopper that is similar to the one my mother had from her mother that got lost somewhere, but I found a replica in a old fashioned hardware store down in Hendersonville, NC. I add finely chopped onion, finely chopped celery, season it up a bit, and mix it with lite Miracle Whip. To DIE for, I tell you...except in my personal case, it's more like to get SICK by, since I developed that allergy to eggs a few years back. I really, really wish I could still eat eggs, because they're the perfect diet food, aren't they? Omelets, quiches (without the crust)....just SO many ways to eat them. Oh, well, just a little more fuel for today's pity party. I have to laugh at my histrionics, really. Here I am, grieving over eggs....SUCH a loss, doncha know? After all, if you don't laugh at your own foolishness, you may as well give up, right?
Well, enough from me. I'll catch up with y'all later...right now I'm just mired in my own misery (and a part of me is standing stage left, shaking her head in disgust).
Maybe I'll clean out my closet.
Have a great day, Golden Girlies!

Z
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #150  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Well I am pretty rushed in the morning so I grab a Smart Ones lunch, and bring a yogurt, two fruits and some string cheese. I eat all of these goodies during the day. Since I am at work at 6:30 am (get up at 4:30 am to take commuter bus) I leave cereal at work and have that with some soy milk. On the weekends I usually have a salad or pita sandwich for lunch.

I have a pretty good veggie garden going right now. I have tomatoes, bush beans, lemon cucumbers, basil, jalapenos and pepperoncini's. I work out when I get home (one hour) then go out to the garden and grab some veggies and make dinner. Lately we have been eating a lot of stir fry (with shrimp or chicken). I will also barbecue a bunch of chicken on the weekend (boneless/skinless, marinated in lemon juice and garlic) and we will eat that through the week. I could go on eating this, but husband is getting a little burned out. He likes his pasta, so I have been also making basil pesto with sundried tomatoes and use it in whole wheat pasta. I am always on the look out for some good healthy recipes. I found a couple of new ones and will try and remember to share with the group.
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote