Acupressure massage is an ancient Chinese medicinal art—a variation of acupuncture. Unlike acupuncture, which uses needles, acupressure massage places pressure on points of the body that control the flow of chi, or spiritual energy, throughout the body. It is believed that many negative conditions of the body are caused by an imbalance of the body’s chi and that placing pressure on these points will bring the body’s chi back into balance.
How Does Acupressure Help Weight Loss?
Acupressure massage aims to help weight loss in the following manners:
- Appetite control
- Strengthening of the digestive system
- Expelling excess heat and moisture from the body
- Improvement of the flow of blood and chi
However, keep in mind that obesity is a combination of many factors and acupressure massage alone will not contribute significantly to your weight loss goals. Always use acupressure massage in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise.
Where to Find Acupressure Points
Several pressure points treat obesity and weight loss:
- A pressure point near your ear controls appetite. Move your jaw up and down with your finger placed against it. Find the point on your jaw that has the most movement. The pressure point is a protrusion of the ear near where your finger is.
- There are 2 pressure points for the spleen. The first pressure point is on your inner leg about 2 inches above the ankle, just off the bone. This pressure point strengthens your digestive system.
- The second spleen pressure point helps regulate the water metabolism of your body. Using your finger to follow along your shin bone, slide down to where you are just off the bone and onto the inner side of your leg. From there move along the shin bone towards your knee. The pressure point can be found in a depression below the rounded top of your leg bone.
- The pressure point for the stomach is about 2 inches below the kneecap, near the outer part of your leg. If you flex your foot up and down and feel the muscle move beneath your finger, you know you’ve found the right spot. This pressure point aids in the nourishment of your blood and chi, which is beneficial to your digestive system.
- The large intestine point is located on the inner end of the elbow crease. This pressure point regulates your intestines, as well as removes excess heat and moisture from your body.
Performing Acupressure Massage for Weight Loss
When performing acupressure massage for the purpose of weight loss, always begin and end by massaging your appetite control pressure point. Whenever you massage a pressure point on one side of the body, work the other side as well.
- Step 1: Squeeze the pressure point in your ear between your thumb and forefinger, and hold the pressure for a minute.
- Step 2: Massage the first spleen pressure point, above your ankle. Push your thumb or knuckle into this pressure point and hold for a minute.
- Step 3: Work the stomach pressure point. Begin with the pressure point just below your knee. Apply pressure with your forefinger for a minute.
- Step 4: Massage the second spleen pressure point, near your knee, applying pressure for a minute.
- Step 5: Use your thumb to apply pressure to the point for the large intestines. Press down for a minute.
Don’t forget to go back to the pressure points on your ears once you’re done.