Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #1  
Mel

Default June Chat

Hot, hot, hot!

It's unofficially summer now. Not sure what happened to spring, but I'm glad May is over. I worked most of the weekend except for my double Xfit workout on Saturday, for which my back and knees are paying the price. A food meltdow didn't help

Any great June plans? I have a wedding in Toronto in the middle of the month and then an almost week long trip to New Mexico at the end of the month Yay vacations!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wait, I wanna go to NM too !!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #3  
Just Me

Ok Crossfit Chickies... what shoes do you wear? I'm looking at Zappos right now and I see 2 possibilities so far.
http://www.zappos.com/ryka-sync-chro...blue?zlfid=111
http://www.zappos.com/keen-coronado-...z-flower-print

I also have a wide foot so I have to be a bit picky. Oh and I don't do leather.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

For June I have a high school graduation - The Boy graduates next Monday and I'm so EXCITED!!!! Then the rest of the month will D R A G. LOL!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #5  
Workin' It

Nelie - I don't do formal CF, but I like those Ryka shoes. Might have to have them myself.

Tiki - congrats on the upcoming graduation!

Mel - sounds like you have a great month coming up!

I don't have any huge plans for June, other than getting myself back on track with diet.

good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Hot, hot, hot!

It's unofficially summer now. Not sure what happened to spring, but I'm glad May is over.

Mel
cold, cold, cold. I hope spring gets here soon. I heard a rumor we might see 60 degrees today

Whooo....

Now that school is out I cant do the 5 days of individual body parts and went back to supersets. I just did upperbody today with push/pull sets but yowza. My arms are trembly. I was able to lift a little bit more on everything by virtue of it being 9 am and not 5 am so I extra killed myself.

Tried to follow it up with my rowing. Not so successful there. Finding the time for rowing is going to be the tricky part. I need that for my back. But it isnt good after lifting and it isnt good before running.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #7  
Mel

Nelie- Shoe are always a conundrum for Crossfitters because of the range of activities. What I wear really depends on the workout. If there is no running, I like to wear my Vibram 5 fingers. I also have a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors which are good for a mixed workout with Olympic lifts. They are crummy running shoes, but if we are doing a major lift that requires that kind of shoe stability (like a snatch or clean and jerk), any running is a very short distance. Running shoes are HORRIBLE for doing Olympic lifts because you can't "stick" the landing. It's like trying to land on a marshmallow.

Here's what I really want for Olympic lifts:
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_dowins.php

but my gym bag is already overflow with shoes! Hmmm...so is my closet. I think I just have a thing for shoes

Today's official Xfit WOD looked like a recovery WOD and I needed to work hard because I had two days off. I did a workout at home that had me dripping and slightly woozy. And both dh and ds peeking in while I was doing handstands against the door They both knocked me over.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #8  

Hi all

Tiki - my son is also graduating this month hopefully. I am now officially the mother of a son with a suit! We went to get one last monday...in 3 hours. Got the suit, shirt, shoes, tie & belt. Weird to be suit shopping and weird to see my son in a suit.

Exercise is again not so good. Mel, I admire you for the handstand, it is inspiring!

I got a new wo book called "you are your own gym" that focusses on doing bodyweight stuff basically at home. lots of interesting exercises. I'm at least back to a quick series of pushups, pullups, squats, lunges and situps in the morning. Maybe a personal challenge to master the real pullup and then go for the handstand is in order to get the motivation back up. OTOH I am more restfull in my mind for getting the yardwork and housework partially done insyead of putting in the WO hours. It is a balancing act with time and energy.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 06-02-2010 at 12:52 AM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #9  
Just Me

I've been doing some exercise every day and I've started to include yoga! I was thinking about signing up for a yoga class through our community center but the days/times conflict with my Crossfit plans.

And speaking on my Crossfit plans, I plan to interview a second Crossfit gym tomorrow. I figured it isn't much further away than the first one and the hours are mostly similar, might as well talk to them as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #10  

Mel, LOL, the secret Imelda Marcos (sp?). I'm so impressed that you can do handstands. I can't even visualize myself doing those. And I'm glad you have enough coordination to not get hurt when your crew peeked in at you. That shows some serious control/balance.

Rabbit, congrats on the graduation AND the suit. Getting everything purchased in under 3 hours is amazing!! The Boy used to only where white t-shirts, hoodies and jeans until someone mistook him for a homeless guy at a Michigan tailgate. (thought I'd die laughing). Now he's into Ralph Lauren, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch, has several suits, etc. I'm SERIOUSLY missing those 5 for $20 bucks white t-shirts now.

Nelie, what is a Crossfit gym?

I got to bed LATE last night but still dragged my tail in for my 5AM cardio. I was afraid to do my legs (was way too sleepy) so I'll slay them this afternoon while the Girl is at cheer practice.

Make it a GREAT DAY everybody!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #11  
Just Me

tikanique - www.crossfit.com Mel and Cheryl both belong to a Crossfit gym. It isn't really a gym in the traditional sense but you basically have trainers and pre designed workouts for you although they can be modified.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #12  

SNAP!! Just saw the tires! They have a couple in SE Michigan but none close enough to me. These workouts look amazing and like something that you just COULDN'T get bored with.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #13  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, Adidas Sambas are my favorite all purpose CF shoe. Lift, run, rope climb, anything. SO freaking comfortable, too! Upper is leather on mine, though, not sure if they offer a different upper. I originally bought them because I wanted a shoe that didn't have styro and/or hard plastic in the instep, since that is just slick and impossible to rope climb in...the sambas just have a natural rubber sole, that's it, very grippy...but, they're so comfy and work great for lifting, running, climbing, whatever, so I only drag out the lifting shoes for max effort back squats or oly lifting, honestly.

to everybody else...

Ladies, I had a PR yesterday on the strongman stone lifting...I finally got the 155# stone off the ground and into my lap. It's on my 2010 goals list to load that bad boy on the platform, but this was the first time I've ever been able to pick it up without it rolling out of my grip (and it only look me about 10 months to do it, lol!) I've been experimenting with a different grip and it really seemed to help. Woot!

Tika, what you said...never boring, IMO! You can do it at home, too. Brand-X Martial Arts offers up ideas for scaling the main page wods (workout of the day) every day. All the movements, weights, and reps/rounds can be scaled down, so anybody can do this, truly, if they like it.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 06-02-2010 at 10:26 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning! Our super weather is gone, though it's still okay. Just wish it would rain and settle all the dust, pollen, etc. out of the air.

Yesterday I did a UBWO and it was one of those magic days when all the lifts went well, and each set was a higher weight. Wish they'd come along a little more often. Today is a zumba class - in about an hour. I haven't been since I went on vacation at the end of April, so I imagine it will leave me in a puddle on the floor....

Have a great day all - and Tiki, it's good to see you back!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #15  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Placeholder post. And Tiki. The Girl and the Boy are HOW old?? Not possible.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote