Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #31  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaJey View Post
Joss What's the deal with the military Doctors? Are they just generally not as good or is it the system as a whole? Sucks that you were cancelled on so many times.

Hope you're feeling better again too. I read about your binging, I don't really know what to say other than send you lots of virtual hugs. It's just really hard and painful. I'm sorry it happened.

I'm not much of a fast pooping, kettlebell swinging badass this week haha, I'm trying though.
It's the system moreso than the doctors themselves. It's just a pain, especially for someone like me who is stationed at an Army Base. I am in the Air Force, so for certain things I have to see an Air Force doctor, and more specifically a Flight Surgeon. There are only two of them. THEY can refer me to other doctors if needed for specialty stuff (Dermatology, podiatry, etc.) but I have to see them first so it's a giant pain.

Yeah, the binges were not fun in retrospect, and honestly I'm still having a hard time with some of the cravings. Knowing that I have a planned "off day" this weekend (baby shower and dinner plans) kind of makes me a bit antsy, but I'm hoping that I can keep things under wraps and then have a good 6 weeks or so to really buckle down before my photo shoot, and 6.5 weeks until Thanksgiving.

Jessica - I have no doubt you can buckle down and get back to that 135, if not lower. Nice job too!
Are you going to be able to get out for a practice run before your 5K?

Last edited by JossFit; 10-02-2012 at 01:26 PM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #32  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Joss- that is amazing for 155 calories! I really need to try those. I keep saying that, and then totally forget to look for them. I am a slave to routine when it comes to grocery shopping. And I hope I didn't come off as if I thought you were ungrateful for free healthcare!!! It is a major PITA, free or not. ;-)

Krampus- Bwahaha! Now THAT is a good political picture. You make a very handsome Mitt Romney. ;-) are those dumplings like pot stickers? They sound so yummy. I am super jealous of your easy, breezy, beautiful (Cover Girl) five mile run. Ugh! I am just so out of shape that five miles seems like a death sentence. Lol

Turbo- geez, that stinks! I am very glad that you are going to see the physiotherapist, but I can completely relate to not wanting to hear the bad news, even though you have that niggling feeling that something really. Ignt be wrong. :-( having to do workouts that I don't love, but my body can handle, has been a huge blow to my ego and motivation. But perseverance pays off, and I think I am going to force myself to be a yoga chick for a while. Yea for getting under 135!! And I keep giggling at your comment about when you get your grow up house. It made me think back n all the apartments and places I lived in before now. Small, crazy, old...but lots of good times.

LockItUp - we are not old enough to have hollowed faces and wrinkles! Lol I feel like the resident grandma on here, at the ripe old age of thirty. when I dip too low in calories, I too get that headachy feeling, fatigue, etc. and yet I'm not hungry. That's actually a sign to me that I've been dipping too low, too long. When I first started trying to lose weight, I picked 1200, but barely made it through the first month, since I was very active. Then I decided to add 200 on workout days, and it was much smoother sailing.

Jessica- I have a heart shaped face, so now it is just weird. Lol your family is gonna be blown away! That is always the best part..showing off the AFTER pics. :-D I am jealous you have a basement!! We always had one growing up in Ohio, but now we are almost always station in coastal SE region, and the water table is too high for basements. It feels unnatural!
Leila - its October! We cannot speak about the tragic nature of September! Lol Turbo rocked last month, but the rest of us...well.....Hey, it's October! (ignore, ignore, ignore) ha ha. Onward and upward.

Kakers - resist! You know those monopoly games are out to lure you! I actually do get a random cheeseburger from there, but I didn't realize until just now that it's been quite a while. Since I mostly eat whole, natural foods, a lot of meat especially makes me queasy...especially fast food. Lol do you teach gymnastics or just take it recreationally? I was a big time stunt cheerleader back in the day. I miss it! I have tons of dreams about it still. So funny.

So.....I went to yoga today! I really, REALLY didn't want to. Maybe it's because everyone, friends, family, doctors, have kept suggesting it. I am such a control freak and need to feel like I am doing things of my own accord. Major vice! And admittedly, the first fifteen Minnie's were torture, because it is sooooooo slow and I was barely breaking a sweat. But I forced myself to get into it, breath, relax, and just go with it. (I do, however, think the teacher saying overly froo-froo stuff in a baby voice will never be my thing...) But it was good, and I definitely worked my muscles in a different way. It did stretch my neck uncomfortably at times, so I'm just waiting to see if it continues to cramp up and cause a headache. Fingers crossed! I did go right out and buy a yoga mat after class. Even if I only do it a few times, I could never make myself use their mats agin? Out YMCA is very clean, but wow...let's just say that I could not always
Articulate in "deep, cleansing breaths" due to the rank odor of that mat! Blech!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

Chickie- I take it recreationally. There's an adult class at Excalibur Gymnastics every Wednesday, you can sign up for the whole month or drop in and pay weekly. First class is free too, if you happen to want to check it out some time.

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #34  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post

Turbo- geez, that stinks! I am very glad that you are going to see the physiotherapist, but I can completely relate to not wanting to hear the bad news, even though you have that niggling feeling that something really. Ignt be wrong. :-( having to do workouts that I don't love, but my body can handle, has been a huge blow to my ego and motivation. But perseverance pays off, and I think I am going to force myself to be a yoga chick for a while. Yea for getting under 135!! And I keep giggling at your comment about when you get your grow up house. It made me think back n all the apartments and places I lived in before now. Small, crazy, old...but lots of good times.
I so feel you about doing the workout I don't want tooo! I love to run, to go hiking forever, to push myself... I tried pilates a couple of times and the lady who just speaks so quietly and soflty was driving me nuuuuuuuuuts. I was on the edge to just scream ''come on, scream at me, do something, just don't tell me to fix the curve of my back while patting my shoulders!''

Yeah, I called it my grown up house We are so messy, there is always tons of stuff around in the apartment, and we have the idea that when we'll get a house we'll be so much more motivated to keep it together (AhAh. Ahahah. I'm so waiting to see THAT). In my opinion, we'll still be messier, but we'll just have much more space to throw our stuff around :P

EDIT : your own yoga mat is never a waste. I use mine to do abs stuff at home, because I'm a wuss and I need something cushy on my back ^^

Last edited by TurboMammoth; 10-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #35  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Joss I'm curious about who the photographer is! It's good to have something to look forward to anyway.

I'm lucky with my GP, sometimes I can get an appointment if I call in the morning and if not then the very next day. Over here people either have private insurance or if they earn below a certain amount they get free health care. It's pretty unbalanced though, like poor elderly people on waiting lists for surgeries for years seems to be pretty common. Especially these days with all of the cutbacks.

I know the feeling with the cravings, I'm sitting here obsessing too and I keep telling myself it'll get better if I don't have anything but my will power is severely diminished. I really want to stuff myself with bread. Sometimes I really feel like I'm just not capable of doing this forever, which isn't a nice feeling.

Chickie haha! yeah Turbo, share your September secrets! I'm allowed to continue over eating, it's um.. September 32nd over here. Pass the jam sandwiches.

I went to this yoga class before and the instructor lady kept talking about a magical rainbow in that floaty, soft voice. Haha, I had such a hard time keeping it together.

kakers Ouchies on the cyst hope that clears up soon! I know but I wish I'd get the not eating everything sickness instead. My boyfriend had it last week and lost a few lbs haha

McDonalds monopoly??

Jessica whoa 125! Way to go lady. Did you ever remeasure yourself? Am I even remembering that correctly? Did you say something about being measured an inch shorter? Heights are confusing and every time I tell people I'm 5'6 they think I must be taller because they're like 10ft or something.

Happy belated birthday too! It's nice to indulge on occassions like birthdays etc. Makes them special!

Turbo lol grown up houses. I live in a grown up house but I just buy weird cat things so it all levels out. (like an 'I love my cat' mat with hearts and a cat draft excluder) Basically I just like freaking out my post man. :P

----------------------------------------------------

My boyfriend was really sick all week and lost a few pounds.. noo fair. I had finally just become slightly lighter than him.

Also.. hurry up TOM.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

Joss I am hoping to fit in one or two practice runs, but it just depends. There is a lot of rain in the forecast, so it's somewhat dependent on the weather (running in the rain doesn't seem too bad, except it's also been pretty cold -- no fun being WET and COLD). Also, my husband started a new job, and his hours are such that he finishes when he finishes. Most days he's home at a reasonable time, but last night (when I was planning on going for a run), he didn't get home until after our daughter went to bed, and it's getting dark here so early that I pretty much need to get out the door right as she's getting ready for bed. Maybe I'm just making excuses, because I honestly don't love running. Or maybe it's that I don't love exercising in the evenings. That's why I wake up early to exercise, but I just can't run then because I need to be in the house with my daughter, since my husband starts work before me.

Chickie I probably didn't word that right, because all of my family knows about my weight loss. It's just all of my friends, because I am honestly not social at all, that most of my friends I only see once a year or so. So I'm looking forward to surprising them.

Yeah, no basement definitely seems unnatural to me. All the houses in Canada have basements, because the foundation needs to go below the frost level. I always find it weird when I watch real estate shows, and the houses don't have basements.

kakers I take my daughter to a parent & tot gymnastics class, but I think it would be fun to do an adult one. I'm not sure if there are any offered around here, but I know there is a place that does adult trampoline classes. I've also always wanted to try swing dancing. Unfortunately, I probably won't do any of those things, because of the demands on my time with a family. Sometimes I feel a bit envious of all the childless ladies in here, I definitely didn't take proper advantage of my time when I was living the single life.

Turbo I definitely keep my house much cleaner than any place I ever rented. But it probably has more to do with my husband having better cleaning habits than me when we moved in together. I have adopted his expectations I guess.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

Leila I keep meaning to re-measure myself, but I keep forgetting. I told my husband that I wanted him to measure me too, but I must've mentioned it when we were out of the house or something, because it just never happened. I'll try to remember about it tonight.

And your not alone feeling sometimes like you can't do this forever. I feel that way a lot of the time. I just tell myself though that most days I'm still eating at a deficit, and when I get to goal and up my calories that eating more will help me be able to do it forever... or being able to better fit in little treats here and there.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #38  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

JossFit,
it looks soooooooo yummy!
making me hungry...
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #39  
funny mummy

S/C/G: 166/150/130

Height: 5ft 6"

Guys, im really sorry I dont have time to read back over everyones day, but to those who need them and to those who have had them!

Just wanted to drop in and say im still on track and have been resisting takeout and wine urges for over a week now It still hurts to stay on plan sometimes but i'm going to keep going and loose this fat! Also managed to do a bit of weight training despite the fractured toe.

Last edited by Lilbert; 10-02-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Lilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #40  

Height: 5'4

Chickie - Oh I totally didn't think that at all... no worries! But seriously, do pick up some shiritake noodles if you see them and give them a shot. I have some tips that will help with the best results;
- Rinse the noodles in hot water in a strainer
- Dry the noodles (paper towel, microwave, or a quick pan fry)
- Incorporate them into your dish early on... this will help them to absorb the flavors more. They are made from pure fiber, so they taste like nothing at all.

I also like the House Foods Tofu Shiritake noodles. They are made with tofu as well as konjac root, so they have a denser, chewier texture and 20 calories per serving (2 servings in a package) but are a bit more like traditional Italian pasta versus Asian style noodles. It just depends what you plan on using them for, but I've never NOT enjoyed them.

Leila - The photographer is Scott Church. I am at work so I can't post the link to his site, but it is pretty impressive. He specializes in boudior of the more edgy variety. My BFF has done two shoots with him and loves him, so we're doing one together (well, separately but we will do some nice shots of the both of us... basically just taking turns doing shots while the other is in hair/makeup).
Ah, yes... the cravings. (Look away if you don't want to see the details!) but yes, I've been suffering with two specifically the past couple of days; carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and "Kitchen Sink Icebox Cookies" which are basically bar cookies with chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, all the fixins. They are best slightly chilled out of the freezer for some reason.

I know that I can't eat perfectly on plan every day for the rest of my life, but I don't have to. We CAN eat that stuff, we just cant have it all the time. Sometimes, like right now, we have to reel it in a bit but then we can indulge a bit more freely. Its just part of being responsible about our health. You don't have to be perfect everyday, just today. Then, wake up and repeat that tomorrow for as many days as you have to before you are comfortable again.

Jessica - I'm sort of particular about my workout times as well, so I definitely understand where you are coming from. You have the added responsibility of a family as well which makes it extra difficult. All you can do is your best, so just do that!
I actually am having trouble deciding whether to get up EXTRA early tomorrow (e.g. 0330) just so I can stay in my routine of working out first thing in the morning (I have an appointment early) or working out AFTER the appointment, which makes more sense, but throws me off my routine. Silly huh?

Masterptr - HAHA, SORRY! I just like to share my little recipes, because they're usually pretty easy to make, healthy, and most importantly delicious. I've asked before if the ladies mind me posting them, and everyone said they liked them so I've continued. If you don't want to see them I totally respect that and will not post anymore if it's in any way a trigger for you. Just let me know.

Lilbert - We have been UNUSUALLY chatty today... Everyone is just excited about October (or really bored... guilty!) today. Don't worry about catching up if you dont' have the time. I promise things will slow down... they always do.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 136/132/120

Height: 5' 4"

Jossfit: Thanks for the great advice! It definitely is harder only trying to lose the "last few pounds," especially since I've been around this weight for the past 6 years of my life. My body loooooves to be around 127-135, so I guess saying that my goal weight is 120 is a bit of a stretch for me. I weighed 117 last year because I had some health issues, and I was getting to the point where people were like "OH GOD ARE YOU OKAY? YOU LOOK SICK??" So, I figure with factoring in actually having muscle definition, my goal weight is going to end up being more around 125. However, you look GREAT at your weight so I'll definitely have to take that into consideration too

kakers: You're completely right in saying that protein packs more of a punch. I always feel fuller after eating it than when it comes to other food groups. And that's awesome that you take gymnastics, I did competitive gymnastics from when I was 6-16. I miss it a lot, but I coach now!

Last edited by maymarza; 10-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
maymarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #42  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

So pooped. Just have to lolololol at September 32nd....well played.

And I read "kinky sex icebox cookies". Mmmmmm...my FAVE!

Last edited by ChickieChicks; 10-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Leila McDonalds does the Monopoly game every year, you get game pieces on some of their food and if you collect all the monopoly spaces in a group you get a prize. There's also instant win pieces for free food. It combines my 2 weeknesses... McDonalds, and a love of Monopoly.

JessicaB Swing dancing! I do that too, though I just decided to take a break from it for a few months. I'm not having fun with it right now. Even though it can be a great work-out, some forms of it anyways. In any case you'll have more time to do the things you want once your kids are older! I don't plan to have kids ever, I am far too busy as it is with my own stuff.

Lilbert Good job staying on track! I hope the toe heals up quickly.

Been snacking less today. Had a big single serving frozen pizza for lunch and didn't eat anything else till dinner, and we had fajitas which are darn filling for the calories in them! I should note, my version of a fajita is seasoned chicken in a tortilla. I don't eat vegetables. Let me tell you how full a big hunk of chicken makes you feel. So I allowed myself desert! 4 mini candies I stocked up for halloween tonight, and good thing about the mini candy is you can eat a piece and not over do it! I still have calories left too! 132 of 'em,that's enough for agood snack before bed if I get hungry!

The cyst is feeling a little better, I tried putting a hot cloth on it for a while earlier but it was cooling off quickly so I soaked in a hot bath for a few before work. It's still going to be an issue for gymnastics though tomorrow I think, though, but I WILL be there!! I am determined!!

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #44  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Woah, this chat is on fire!

Joss : The chia and quinoa sounds... eww LOL I'm the kind of eater that puts a lot of attention on the texture of stuff, so I'm nowhere to be friendly with chia seeds

Thank you for your thoughts on my foot... This forum is really helping me not FREAK OUT. I know that not running won't be huge on my weight, as I'm watching my portions and everything. I'm just scared for the cardio endurance itself. I've made my way into becoming some kind of a runner in the last 1.5 years and beleive me, it wasn't easy. Starting by being overweight and not being able to run more that 2k without having to stop... I came a long way. And I DO remember all the efforts I needed to get here. Thinking of what I would need to do to get back, the thought of losing what I tried SO HARD to get is just so overwhelming to me right now

LockitUp : I love Meatless Monday and was able to drag the boyfriend-meat-eater into it, so I'm holding on to this! I've never been vegan or anything, so it's always a nice challenge to find tasty new meals to cook For your asthma, maybe VLC + TOM + the low energy might not be helping, taken altogether! Hope it gets better soon

LeilaJey : Glad to see you back! I LOVE the 32d of September Ahahah! I think everyone had a challenging September... Let's focus on the thought that it's a newwww dayyy (Michael Buble in James Bond style!)

Concerning the grown up house (or even my apartment), I make a point of drinking my tea in my Disney Princesses cup (every time the cup is actually clean...) with my re-usable tea bag shaped as a ducky that floats on my tea and my boyfriend personnaly has like EIGHT lego spaceships builded and exposed in our office room. Once we had the owner of the appartment with his kid who had to come by and he had to check something upstairs in the office and the kid was like ''OHHH TONS OF LEGO!!! You have children???'' ''...no...'' Akwaaaard LOL

Lilbert : Good job on staying on track!!

Jessica : After running for more than a year and being in a couple race, I learned something about runners : they like to ignore their health issues LOL I hope your dad is doing okay though The woosh just in time for your birthday is awesome!

Kakers : Oh god, the cyst must SUCKS! The monopoly comment maked me giggle! My boyfriend had a roommate when we started dating who was just the same, he was enjoying this so so much.

Chickie : Still laughing at the kinky sex icebox cookies AHAHAHAH!

134.4 again this morning (yay! maintaining! yayay!). Last night we ate in a rush to go watch a drill game of the american hockey league (young players) linked to the NHL hockey teams we root for (actually the boyfriend wanted to go so bad and did not wanted to leave me alone at home). There was all the big trainers and stuff of the club and we got to see people we only see on TV (groupie talking here, YEAH). My boyfriend was talking hockey stuff with his friend, and I was ''AWWWWW''-ing over the young players having fun with the kids in the crowd. There was some hot stuff over there! (but they were all like 18-19 years old. I felt like a cougar LOL)

While we were there, I went to get us coffee (and try to spot the general manager of the team, who is a sexy man in my own opinion ) and I was CRAVING over a latte tea chai... I finally was a good girl and skipped the sugar of the chai latte and only took a latte coffee. Proud mama over here.

I have my physiotherapist apointment in 2 hours. Stresseeeeeeed out. My brother is also in the area right now so we are driving an hour tonight to go eat out with him (haven't seen the guy since August )

Hope you're having a great day Feathers!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #45  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Good morning Feathers, did anyone else have a REALLY HARD TIME getting out of bed this morning? I did. It's been really grey here the past few days.

Had a couple friends over last night to jam and practice for the "birthday concert" on Saturday. Fun times. I had a beer so maybe that explains my low WI this morning? Or it could be, yanno, the caloric deficit combined with pooping a lot. I made an epic salad for lunch yesterday:

TurboMammoth Good luck at the physiotherapist! I hope everything goes well, and that seeing your brother is a good time. Being a cougar is the best thing to be - 19 is JUST RIGHT lol!

kakers Really? No vegetables at all? I'm with you on eating huge chunks of meat for satiety though, I'll blaze through a 6-8 oz steak and have no room for anything else. It blows my mind that people can eat 16 oz steaks AND sides, but then again they're usually powerlifters or really fat...

Lilbert Not sure where you are geographically but when the weather cools down the urge to get takeout and veg is great - hard to fight those impulses!

ChickieChicks Yes the gyoza are just like potstickers. I could eat soooooo many of them and still have room for one or two more. That's really terrible about the smelly yoga mat...........I sweat a lot and shower less frequently than lots of people but I never produce foul odors that leak onto exercise equipment. How was yoga otherwise? I think it's BORING and pointless since I'll never have the body of a yogi, the mind stuff does nothing for me...but maybe I'm missing out?

JessicaB Congrats on the birthday low! You're doing great and so close to your goal. I would say I "half-a$$" both running and lifting as opposed to embracing them both, but thank you! I think you will be just fine on the 5K.

LeilaJey Aw I hope TOM comes soon! Detox is going OK. Your boyfriend will probably put the lbs he lost back on soon, and you'll be lighter! What's he like? I'm always curious about people's significant others.

JossFit OMG the creeper story. I can't even. There is so much EMOTION - I feel like a lot of soldiers/sailors/whatever put all their eggs in one basket and invest an unreasonable amount of emotion into unsuspecting female targets who can't reciprocate their feelings.

LockItUp Are you feeling a little more human since increasing calories? When workouts suffer/can't be completed you know something is wrong.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote