Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4

Default September Feather's Chat!

Continuing on from August; http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/feat...ml#post4455531

It's now September, can you believe it?! How is everyone kicking off the month? Big plans, goals, or motivations?
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

QUICK drive-by...I ate way too much yesterday. Would've been FINE had I stopped after dinner but somehow ended up eating chicken wings and one of those SHITTY "svelte" ice cream sandwiches from Trader Joe's. Seriously this is what I get for eating "diet" desserts after second-dinner. I feel gross and am up 3.0 lbs from yesterday morning's weigh-in!

Yesterday was a really fun day; 6.6 mile mountain hike with bf, then we walked around Lake George village giggling at all the wolf shirts and racist bumper stickers for sale at the shops and had a well-deserved burger and fries from A&W - there is only one A&W anywhere near where we live and this was my first time there in years!

I think I might just be allergic to alcohol period...had one beer in the evening which made me feel really gross, mindlessly ate way too many wings and went home early and ate more. Regret doing that as today is BACON FEST and I hate the idea of not going to that absolutely starved but I never want to eat again at this point. Sorry for whining - I'm also getting anxious for TOM to come since I normally get it before my roommate and hers started a few days ago. Wahhhh.

JossFit You look fantastic in those photos as usual and looks like you're having a ton of fun! I LOVE the photo of your cat and congrats on the fish - how's that pet raccoon working out? Wishing you, sincerely, the BEST weekend with your husband I'm sure between all the errrr catching up and hiking you're doing everything will work itself out.

TurboMammoth URRGGGHHH Indian buffet! I am like LeilaJey in that I can't say no to Indian. Good luck pooping and getting the weight off. I never weighed myself the morning after overeating when I was heavier. Didn't want to know the truth. But I've always been one to gain and lose water weight REALLY QUICKLY. Like put on 5-10 lbs overnight after a binge and lose 4-8 the next day and the rest the day after that. That's why one of my goals during this whole "getting sane/healthy" process is to NOT PUT ON OR LOSE A BUNCH OF WATER WEIGHT AT ONCE.

LeilaJey Grosssss feel better soon dear! That bikini is hot. I tried on a tube bikini like that at H&M a few weeks ago and it looked absolutely hysterical because I have a totally flat chest. Probably the worst thing I could possibly have tried on! How did that banana bread work out for you? I'm glad you're on this chat thread!!!

EDIT: Forgot to include September goals.

I saw the 123s in August so I hope to see the 122s in September, then 121s in October...hoping this is "realistic" for someone as lazy as me. I also want to focus on weight training and getting my lungs in tip-top shape to recover from my "smoking years" - no more coughing during sprint intervals!!!

Last edited by krampus; 09-02-2012 at 09:52 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #3  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

September.. ooohhh yeah. Foggy brain over here! Thanks Joss

That's a funny collection of pictures you posted, love them! Glad you're having a great time - you look really happy. A pet raccoon haha, that's cool. Oh and your indulging is totally normal, delicious sounding indulging.. yum yum! Enjoy the hike!

krampus Ahh wolf shirts and racist bumper stickers, sounds amazing. I saw a lady wearing a 3 wolf moon shirt the other day - soo good.
Hope you feel better soon! That would suck about the alcohol, but yeah if you're feeling bad after just 1 beer. Maybe it's something in the beer that you're reacting to? Or does it happen with any alcohol? Force some bacon into yourself :P

You know when I was looking at the bikini I was trying to think if there's a way to pad it haha, I don't have much boobage either. I don't think I'll care so much when I'm thinner. They've kind of stayed the same regardless of weight so I'm hoping I'll look a bit more proportioned at least. I'm considering adding straps too, maybe like a halter thing as I like to swim without flashing people.

---------------

I was just about to make banana bread when I inspected the baking tin and all of the metal was peeling off it for some reason.. not good. I don't have any baking paper either so I'll leave it for now and pick some up tomorrow/new tin. I'm going to make pancakes instead. No complaints there

My friend bought hamsters for her kids birthday but they're staying in my house for the night and they're in one of those plastic cages with climbing tubes. My cat is going crazy it's so funny. They keep looking up at her and she then sort of punches the cage, gets annoyed and tries to push it around. The hamsters aren't bothered at all. I've put them in the other room for now though, just in case the cat figures out how to open it. I don't want to ruin a kids birthday.

September goals: Get totally hot, y'know, lift the heavy thing and all that

Oh and krampus way to go on quitting smoking! That's awesome! It gets better all the time. Having a cold is really weird because coughing stuff up/coughing in general isn't something that I do constantly anymore. When you're a smoker you don't think much about that though. Well I didn't anyway. I'm the master of denial though..
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #4  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

LeilaJey : That bikini is cute, good pick! Internet shopping days are probably the best thing to do when you are sick! Are you feeling better, by the way? Did you succeed with your banana bread? I'm supposed to bake some kind of cake with somee thai tea spices in it today... yayyy, baking timmmmeeee

JossFit : Okay, first before I go on on the racoon, you look fabulous! You seem to have a great time with the hubby ... congrats on your fish!! Now... OMG OMG a PET RACCOON? Seriously?? I literaly screamed when I saw the picture and have been speaking about it for the last 30 minutes to my boyfriend. I'm some kind of an animal freak, and I LOVE raccoon. I used to work in a zoo where the employes were allowed to play with the babies and stuff... I.Am.Jealous. of this pet raccoon

Krampus : I think everyone had a lot of ''indulging''-borderline-overeating our faces out this week (welcome aboard!). I don't get why we always forget how gross and BLAH we feel after we overeat WHILE we are eating. You seemed to have a great time with the wolves tshirts hehe. Hope your TOM will come quickly :S

139.0 lbs this morning. Still lots of water weight to lose after the overeating of friday night... I did not so bad in term of food yesterday, but we finished the day with a 100 calories bag of popcorn, which was probably overloaded in salt. Back to some kind of clean eating today.

We went for a 8k hike yesterday. It was supposed to be a bit longer (10k) and higher too but we started pertty late in the afternoon because the boyfriend was helping her sister move out and it took longer than we thought, so we had to turn back at the first of the second peak we reached.

Here's a few pictures of the hike :

Have a good Sunday, Feathers!!

Edit : shooooot, september goals!!!

- Go back to 135 lbs or less.
- Do not die during my half marathon on the 23rd (seriously I feel my legs are giving out right now. they alwayyyys huuuurt)
- Find a job!??

Last edited by TurboMammoth; 09-02-2012 at 10:40 AM.
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 143/no idea/120-110

Height: 5'2'' (and a half)

Hi all,

haven't posted in ages because I've had a super busy summer.

First I went to Italy for 10 days with my family and somehow managed to lose weight while eating gelato and pasta every day. My body confuses me, refuse to lose weight when I have been really good for weeks but go out and eat whatever I feel like and suddenly it decides that it's time to shed a few pounds.

Then I went to Reading festival and saw some amazing bands, so lucky I got to see Foo Fighters live

So overall was doing quite well on the scales as camping on a budget = living off chicken sanwiches and apples for a week. Not healthy but still, I visibly lost weight.

And to top off the heticness of the holiday I have just moved to Spain, as I am spending the year here studying. I think I may have gained some of the weight back in the moving period due to wanting to try out all of the new foods and eating with family ( who always expect me to eat all of the time ).
Though at the moment I am kind of going by eyesight and pinching my stomach as I had to abandon the scales due to weight limits I can only bring essentials with me.

Overall feeling pretty good and just want to try and maintain while I am adjusting to life here before pushing ahead.

Few that was a long post, sorry for lack of personals, busy busy.
TheManekiNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies! Just another quick check-in before I have to get off to the airport. Boo!

I'll be home early tonight and will catch up on personals tonight or tomorrow morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, after my indulgent evening on Saturday I actually did it; I managed to get back on plan and STAY on plan Sunday, so I'm sure the airport food issue I normally run into won't be a problem today. Once I'm on "vacation" it's sooo hard for me to get back OP and the day I leave my husband and head home is always a "stuff my face" day. It's not going to happen today, which was my major goal for this trip.

I did tell myself I could have two days this month to be a fat kid, and since I only used up one this weekend I have one to use later... maybe my birthday?

Anyhoo, here's a couple of pictures from our hike yesterday. We had to walk through the town of Manitou Springs up to the bottom of the incline, then hiked up the incline (climbed is more accurate, and I whooped my hubby's butt and did it in like 35 minutes! Thats super fast!) then after that we took a quick rest and did a hike/run back down Barr trail and walked back through town to the truck. The whole thing took 3 hours.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Turbo mm that sounds tasty! How did the cake turn out? Those pictures are beautiful! The weather looked perfect for it too.

ManekiNeko Hey! Spain sounds great, I'm sure you'll love it. I've also lost weight after eating like lots of cake and ice cream. It's hard to make sense of these things..

Joss So glad you had an awesome time with your hubby! Gorgeous pictures too. Why are you guys getting all of the great weather?! Fat kid days heehee.. saving one for your birthday's a great idea.

So after not being able to make banana bread because of the tin (I'm gonna buy a new one this week) and deciding to make pancakes, well the pancakes didn't work either. I need a new pan as well apparently, the non stick stuff seems to be gone.. I think somebody was scrubbing at it. Anyway I was getting increasingly pissed off because every time I tried they just stuck, burnt and turned to crap. I kept trying but it was just a mess. And y'know TOM so I just wanted a ****ing dessert haha - so I took the almond flakes and raisins I had roasted out of the oven and then looked at the round dish I had roasted them in. Thought meh screw it, greased it and poured the banana pancake mix in it and walked away. I didn't think it would work but it did and it was friggin' delicious! I had no idea you could bake pancakes (does this make it a regular cake?). Maybe this is common knowledge but I felt like a genius

Wholemeal banana pancake topped with roasted almond flakes, raisins, cinnamon and honey.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #8  
ion
go go go!

Height: 5'2"

hi, happy september everyone!

just a short update, the start of the semester has been a little hectic. i went for a "run" today (really just the first part of a couch-to-5k plan, and my very first attempt) and i noticed that my left foot gradually became completely numb. i know it wasn't my shoe. anyone else had that problem?
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #9  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

TheManeki : Eating on a budget is always more challenging. Being out of income if I don't get a job in October, I'm trying to get more meals budget friendly... You seem to be doing a good job so far enjoying your time aboard though. Have fun!

Joss : Your hike (and your time with your hubby!) seemed a lot of fun (and good job on beating your hubby on going up there ) Did you manage to survive the airport food?

Leila : Reading you talking about pancakes after your adventure with your tins pushed me to prepare blueberries pancakes this morning! (to the biggest pleasure of the boyfriend, may I say). You cake-pancake seems YUMM. Way to go on troubleshooting!! The cake turned out weird, but good. It was a weirdo recipe I tried, they were putting a thai tea spices cake with a dark chocolat icing with cayenne pepper... The cayenne pepper was a bit too strong for my taste, but it was a huge hit with the bf!

Ion : I never experienced the foot going numb while running... You said it wasn't about the food, but could it be that your shoes were too tied too tight? Good luck with the c245k!

Happy labor day, feathers!!

I'm kinda sad the weekend is already oveeeeeeer. Sunday was a calm day, I spent most of the afternoon working out me thesis and the boyfriend cooked a nice dinner of toscan pork tenderloin with green beans and cherry tomatoes in a balsamic reduction and we had a piece of the chocolat cake I baked.

I worked on my thesis AGAIN this afternoon and finally headed out for a run at the end of the day, wanting to just breathe some fresh air. After a bad first 3k caused by the presence of the unleashed dog of my collegue on the FULL OF BIKES bike trail, I left her and finished my 16k... WOAH. Longest run in like forevaaaa. I'm dead tired right now.

I got a email from my boss who said he finished to read my thesis and that he wants to see me. Read I'm scared to death here LOL I'm so preoccupied with that that I don't really care that I was at 138.8 this morning. I'll worry about that later!

EDIT! Joss, the other day you were saying that all the work involved in the spaghetti squash was maybe a bit too much of work to substitute pasta... I just found on Pinterest something about swapping pasta with carrots : you peel carrots like pasta with a vegetable peeler and you cook them in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes (not too long so they won't get torn appart). Then you can put your pasta sauce you want on them... It probably taste good, and it's much faster to prepare than the squash. Just thought about you when I found out the recipe!

Last edited by TurboMammoth; 09-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #10  

Okay, time to catch up on some personals!

Krampus - Generally when people are allergic to alcohol they get super super sick and/or may have hives and other signs of allergic reactions. Of course I'm no doctor, but my guess is that you just are really tiny and your body can't process alcohol all that well anymore. If you think about it, alcohol is a toxin and you really aren't *supposed* to handle it well... your body wants it out! The 'gross' feeling could also be that when your body starts processing alcohol it puts everything else on the back burner (so to speak) so that it can deal with that first. If you were eating wings and other stuff along with the drinks that stuff is just sitting there not getting metabolized. It's no wonder it makes you feel like doo-doo.
It sounds like you had a fun weekend with your BF! How was Bacon Fest?!? That sounds AWESOME. I was looking forward to going to the fair and having a bit of bacony deliciousness myself, but my hubby talked me out of the fair and into going fishing instead. I had fun for like 5 seconds and then it poured rain on us. Yay. *sigh* marriage is about compromise right? I had been looking forward to that damn fair for months but I didn't want to make him go if he didn't want to. Oh well, next year I'll be living out there and I can go!
The pet raccoon is his cousin's... and it's so cute! Her name is Cinder, and she is the most curious little thing ever. I've never seen a raccoon like that before, and it's so interesting to watch them; their little front paws are going non-stop because they just have to pick everything up and feel it. I see now why they get a bad reputation for being pests... she is a handful!

Leila - Boobs are overrated. LOL I think that's one of those things that we all want the opposite of what we're given; I always wished to have smaller boobs (at my heaviest I was a 36DD) and to be able to wear cute sundresses and tank tops without looking vulgar. Now that I'm considerably smaller overall my boobs are much more proportionate, and while still not small, I don't feel like if I wear a tanktop I need to change my name to Tits McGee. I think your bathing suit will look awesome, and after all, confidence is the most important accessory!
How is the weightlifting coming along? Did that link help at all?

Turbo - Your hike looked like it was gorgeous! I guess it was a good weekend for all of us Feathers to go hiking and biking and get outside huh? You're doing a half-marathon this month? Fun! I always tell myself I'll do one eventually but, meh, I'm not kidding myself. Running is not my forte... haha
You and Leila inspired me to have pancakes this morning. I made my pumpkin recipe which was great, but I actually feel like I cheated a bit on my natural ways because I used a bit of sugar free syrup and Brummel and Brown yogurt spread... so NOT natural, but I only had a bit and this particular recipe needs a little something on top. I'll have to find a substitute for it.
Good luck with the thesis feedback... I hope it's not disappointing news!

TheManekiNeko - Welcome back to the chat! It sounds like you've been busy busy busy with life lately! I hope everything settles down for you a bit.

Ion - I've never experienced that while running, but it does happen occasionally on the elliptical; when you push off with your toes, sometimes it causes pressure on the nerves in the front of your foot and that pressure makes your toes go a bit numb. Perhaps it has something to do with your form, but I wonder why it would only effect one foot... maybe Turbo was right and your shoe wasn't fitting properly? If it happens again, I'd get it checked out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm happy to be home in my own bed and with my own kitchen (my husband is such a bachelor still and his pantry isn't exactly stocked full of herbs and spices... haha) but I do miss my hubby already. The good thing is that I am actually leaving AGAIN this coming weekend for a work trip to Denver, so he can drive up and see me a bit while I'm there for that week. (The downside is that I will AGAIN be away from my own kitchen and living in a hotel for the week and having to dodge airport food again... blah!)
I think he's also still on track to come visit over Columbus Day weekend so this is a lot of visits for us!

I had a lot of NSVs this weekend!
- I did ring dips on my first attempt and seriously impressed my hubby
- I conquered the incline in a scant 35 minutes (45 minutes would be a pretty respectable time for someone in good shape) and ran a good portion of the trail back down.
- I only had ONE evening off plan, and then managed to get right back on plan the next day AND on the trip home the day after that... that is HUGE for me!
Normally I try to delay the fat-kid-fest for the last couple of days of my vacations, knowing that once I open that floodgate it usually lasts until the vacation is over. Usually the day I fly home is rife with airport goodies and I stuff myself, but I didn't at all yesterday! The fact that I actually broke that habit (even though a couple of times I was tempted) was monumental. It probably seems silly to be so excited over but it is a big deal for me.

Thank you all so much for the compliments on our pictures! I did have a great time, and it was nice to spend so much one-on-one time with my husband since the last time we saw eachother was the honeymoon and it was a bit, um, crowded at times.
We kept pretty busy walking around town, hiking, fishing and all of that so hopefully when I check my weight this weekend I won't have any huge surprises.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Throwing myself in here to stay accountable. Not doing great, not doing awfully. Just hanging in... I know I avoid this place when I'm not feeling my best, and it tends to spiral out of control.

This is a new month. No time for failure.

I WILL!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I went hard yesterday - 3 mile run in the morning, weights a couple hours later. Tried new things including renegade rows with 20 lb dumbbells, situps holding a dumbbell over my head, "negative" tricep dips, plus my weightroom staples. Gold's Gym (I have a Groupon) is pretty much everything I hate about American culture...so commercial, aimed at people who are desperate, pictures of super lean women holding 5 lb dumbbells plastered all over the place, "Cardio Cinema," not my speed. Nice they have 20kg+ kettlebells and classes though. After that my mom asked me to help her carry around 40 lb bags of dirt, and I probably twisted my lower back doing that improperly. Sore as heck today and retaining water.

Sadly, Sunday's Bacon Fest was more like Bacon FAIL. They were not prepared for the # of people who showed up, so lines were LOOOOONG and they ran out of bacon really early! I'm glad I went with a big group, we kept each other entertained and on the way back stopped at a couple markets and orchards to buy produce for the week. Can't believe fall stuff is already in full swing.

Sprints and stairs this morning. Gotta get in shape for an overnight hike in the Adirondack High Peaks next weekend. This coming weekend is my bf's cousin's bar mitzvah, for which I need to find a conservative-ish dress that doesn't involve "backless" or "animal print" or "fire engine red." Hehe.

Alexistrophic No need to avoid us when you're not doing amazingly! I know the feeling though. hang in there and be well.

JossFit You're right, you're right re: alcohol. I hate it though! I'm sorry you didn't get to the fair, did he know how excited you were about it? I guess getting rained out at the fair would suck too, if that's any consolation. Bacon Fest was a swing and a miss, I didn't really eat there because nothing seemed worth the calories - how sad is that?! Yay for one-on-one time with hubs, I'm glad you avoided the airport binge - real progress!!! Since you've been posting regularly it seems like it's all improvements for you.

TurboMammoth Way to go on 16K! I can barely get through 5K without getting bored out of my mind. Your hiking photos are amazing too! Good luck meeting with your boss...I'm sure it's not as bad as you think.

LeilaJey OMG that pancake looks so good! Send me one in the mail (on a cute cow plate please).
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 143/no idea/120-110

Height: 5'2'' (and a half)

JossFit Well done on breaking the airport habit. Bad habits are so hard to break when bad things are constantly on display everywhere.

TurboMammoth I am the budget queen. Being in my 3rd year of student life I have pretty much worked out how to eat well on a budget. In fact healthy eating is cheaper than eating junk food usually. I don't know how expensive food is in Canada but I have noticed that in Spain the food is much cheaper than in the UK.

LeilaJay those pancakes look delicious

.................................................. ............

Gah the stress of paperwork. Doing ERASMUS seems to have more paperwork than anything, or maybe that's just the Spanish.
Also everything shuts here at ridiculous times, I mean who has a lunch break from 2pm to 4pm??

I am still getting used to everything here but it is a very small city so I have to walk everywhere, which is good. And the food is cheap, and seeing as the kitchen on my floor of the accommodation block still hasn't opened I can't exactly eat much.

So far today i have had a very yummy fresh Galician style bread roll with lomo, some yellow plums and an apple. Loving the cheap supermarket here, the food quality is so high.

Also I am excited about the fact that there is a gym on the floor above me. As soon as it opens (probably next week) I'm going to go. I miss going to the gym at my old uni and am probably pretty much back to where I started. Sigh. It has been too long.
TheManekiNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
EDIT! Joss, the other day you were saying that all the work involved in the spaghetti squash was maybe a bit too much of work to substitute pasta... I just found on Pinterest something about swapping pasta with carrots : you peel carrots like pasta with a vegetable peeler and you cook them in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes (not too long so they won't get torn appart). Then you can put your pasta sauce you want on them... It probably taste good, and it's much faster to prepare than the squash. Just thought about you when I found out the recipe!
Yeah, I've seen people do that with zuchinni as well... I think it's a great idea! I need to get myself one of those thin vegetable peelers though. I tell ya, I have a laundry list of new kitchen tools I want to buy but I'm waiting until I move in with my husband so we can consolidate and toss out the stuff we no longer need. Right now with my two roommates I don't have the space to buy more things.

Anyway... haha

I have also seen people use those bags of pre-cut veggies that are used for making slaw for the same thing; just boil them like you would noodles and eat them that way. I actually meant to grab some from the store today after I saw this post, but of course I didn't write it down so I forgot!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistrophic View Post
Throwing myself in here to stay accountable. Not doing great, not doing awfully. Just hanging in... I know I avoid this place when I'm not feeling my best, and it tends to spiral out of control.

This is a new month. No time for failure.

I WILL!!!

Sometimes just hanging in there is all you can do, and good on you for doing it! Its so easy to just not care one day... and each day after that it somehow gets easier than the day prior. You may not be putting 100% effort into your diet and training but even 50% is better than throwing in the towel all together. Sometimes you just have to stick to the routine and "fake it til you make it" and wait for that special something to come along and re-motivate you.

Just keep hanging in there.