Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I did my pilates for abs dvd today (tuesday).

I then did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 4.6 mph.

I'm actually proud of myself for keeping my dates on the treadmill... somedays it's not easy and you just wanna throw in the towel! THANKS for the motivation, guys!!!

Keep up the GREAT work everybody (injuries and all )!!

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-04-2009 at 12:12 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #107  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

just made an appt for a physical therapist at 3pm. whoohoo!
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #108  

Morning All!

Wow, Tea you are really progressing. Great job. I hope all you ladies with shin splints get well soon. I am feeling great and as soon as spring comes I will start to walk outside as well. Have a great day all.
sws19 I hope your appt. goes well. Talk to you later.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Ok, so shin splint ladies - what should I do?

Should I completely rest from all running/walking activity for a week or so (or more?) or can I run/walk every second day you think?

also, after they heal, will I ever be able to run five days in a row every again without them flaring up?

Tea: Great job!!

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #110  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

CGH, I think you just have to play it by hear (or by shin, in this case) as to whether or not how much you should rest. I was just about to hop on and post that I did Week 3/Day 2 of C25k and my shins barely bothered me. But on Monday they were pretty sore!

I usually rest 1-2 days in between. I have heard stretching and getting the right shoes help, but I do that (most of the time) and it seems like it's hit or miss with the intensity and duration of the pain. Wish I had the answer!!!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #111  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

bad news, cgh. i went to the physical therapist today. the upshot is that we need to rest until there is absolutely no pain at all when we run. not just hardly any pain but NONE says the pt. i only run 3 times a week but he said that i was basically just resting it and constantly reinflaming it without ever giving it a chance to really heal. and this would just keep happening unless i allow the time. and also he said i probably caused it by going too far too quickly and that my sneakers were horrible. and i am not stretching enough. so apparently the answer is rest, go slower, stretch a LOT more, and reevaluate your sneaker situation.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #112  

It was another day due to dreary, raining weather-- that I just did NOT want to get on the treadmill... but of course I eventually did

* I did 1 hour & 15 minutes at 4.6 mph. (FYI: I'm trying to alternate the amount of time I spend on the treadmill so I can keep losing weight and not get a plateau or stall.)
* I then later did my pilates dvd for the buns & thighs.

The trick is to have a good book at your side on the treadmill to pass the time... for me today, it was an adorable cat mysteries that I haven't really read in a long time, lol.

I find having really good books reserved only for when I'm on the treadmill, really helps as a motivator ... because then I keep wondering what happens next????

Mercee & cgh-- thanks for the encouragement!

sws19 & cgh... take it easy! Actually, by alternating different kinds of exercise routines to let your shin splits heal, you'll also keep your body guessing and it'll help you lose those pesky pounds more!

sws19-- I heard that one of the problems for shin splits & beginning runners is they start running too fast or they don't have proper running shoes from a shoe store that specializes in athletic running shoes That's primarily why I'm holding off on running for a bit until I can afford a proper pair of running shoes. Take care of yourself in the meantime!

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws19 View Post
bad news, cgh. i went to the physical therapist today. the upshot is that we need to rest until there is absolutely no pain at all when we run. not just hardly any pain but NONE says the pt. i only run 3 times a week but he said that i was basically just resting it and constantly reinflaming it without ever giving it a chance to really heal. and this would just keep happening unless i allow the time. and also he said i probably caused it by going too far too quickly and that my sneakers were horrible. and i am not stretching enough. so apparently the answer is rest, go slower, stretch a LOT more, and reevaluate your sneaker situation.
*sigh* Uh oh....I don't like that news!!

Last night I actually tried this new stretch that my boyfriend taught me when he had shin splints. I did that, and only felt a twinge of pain at 17 minutes, then it went away and I was able to do 29 minutes. I stretched a lot throughout (every 6 min of running), did the new stretching routine beforehand, and stretched well afterward. I took an ibuprofen right after the run, and iced my shins last night.

Well, what do you know, they feel 70% better already!

I am definitely going to get orthotics as I have collapsed arches, and do the above routine and only run 3x weekly. If I am still having pain and they don't seem to be healing, I will rest completely. I guess I will be forced to do the dreaded hateful bike on alternate days. I wish they had an elliptical in the gym.

The stretching routine my BF showed me goes like this:
Walk on heels across the room for 30 seconds. Walk on tiptoes across the room for 30 seconds. Put your hands on wall and one foot with toe touching wall and lean into the stretch (so you feel it in your shins). Repeat on other side

Repeat whole above routine about 3 or 4 times.

i also found a new stretch which is kneeling and sitting on your heels. That stretches them out quite nicely too.

~Choirgirl~
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #114  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithsunshine View Post
it was an adorable cat mysteries that I haven't really read in a long time, lol.
What is a "cat mystery"!!!! That is sooo cute!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #115  

Felt like Miss Lazybones today... just did not wanna exercise, but lo and behold, I did

1. Did my pilates dvd for the abs.
2. Did my 45 minutes at 4.6 mph on the treadmill

“nuff said!

CGH-- The cat mysteries I'm referring to is a series written by Rita Mae Brown & her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown I was reading the most recent one published last fall entitled "Santa Clawed." If you're interested, I recommend you start back at the beginning: "Wish You Were Here" & "Rest in Pieces." Enjoy!

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #116  
Crazy runner

Quote:
The stretching routine my BF showed me goes like this:
Walk on heels across the room for 30 seconds. Walk on tiptoes across the room for 30 seconds. Put your hands on wall and one foot with toe touching wall and lean into the stretch (so you feel it in your shins). Repeat on other side.
CGH that's the one I do and it seems to really help. Sounds like it helped for you, too! I have another run today so we'll see if things continue to improve... my husband mentioned last night that it seems like my shins are hurting less. It used to hurt from the beginning through the run, then terrible pain aftewards. Also, times when I would walk up the stairs or whatever, my shins would start hurting. It was pretty bad. Now they just seem to be sore at the beginning and end of the run, and it goes away quickly. No more "flare ups" just walking around doing normal things. So hopefully things are looking up!

I have really great running shoes but I'm going to the running store today to get my gate/pronation checked out. I have a feeling that I tend to walk on the outside of my feet rather than balanced. We'll see! I can't really afford to buy new shoes right now, but I'll be interested in seeing what the "pro" running guys say.

I did 30DS yesterday...ugh I feel so out of shape! It was a lazy day for me too, tea!

Last edited by Fat Pants; 03-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #117  

Fat Pants-- Great minds think alike!

Only did the treadmill today...

60 minutes at 4.6 mph

Skipped pilates for the legs today due to errands. Plus, I'm feeling a little tight (not sore) in my leg muscles so I figured a day off of pilates wouldn't be a bad thing
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #118  

* I did the pilates dvd for the abs today... dang, I'm feelin' my stomach muscles now, lol
* Then did my obligatory 45 minutes at 4.6 mph on the treadmill.

No more exercise for the rest of the week!

(Well, until monday that is! )

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-07-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #119  
Crazy runner

Good Monday morning, everyone! Hope the time change isn't affecting you as badly as I feel it's affecting me... where's my extra hour of sleep??

The weather was so nice yesterday that I got outside for a quick 20-minute run/walk. It was a nice change of pace. I think I am going to repeat Week 3 of C25k this week... not sure I feel ready to move on just yet.

I really need to supplement my non-run days with strength training. I like 30DS but I would like something that's focused solely on weights/strength training. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good DVD?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #120  

Fat Pants--

If you like Jillian, try her new weights dvd entitled "No More Trouble Zones." I'd also highly recommend Jillian's spa partner (and fellow trainer) jackie warner's "One on One Training with Jackie." Both dvds are superb in getting results!

------------------------------
I read 90 pages from a book while walking on the treadmill today (monday) and lost my marbles

* I did 1 hour & 30 minutes at a new speed: 4.7 mph.
* I then later did my pilates dvd for the buns & thighs.

I'll be going back to the easy 50 minutes or so on tuesday!