Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Default You all are so sweet

I hope I can join you on this messge thread? I also am a diabetic. I was diagnosed on October 2000, at the time I was also still greiving for my mom, she died in a car accident. She also was diabetic which is rampent in our family (Uncles, Aunts, grandma)
I have been on glucopage but have changed to glucovance since March.
My blood sugars were about 170-160, that's why the change. Now they are about 140-130. It's been such a crazy/stressed life for me because I also lost my brother-inlaw in a car accident (semi truck hit him) last summer and then this February one of nephews also died in a car accident. So much sadness that I tend to eat when I get this way.
Just to let you know, I belive that GOD has a purpose for all these things happening and I need to continue to seek him when I am at my lowest. Maybe that's why I am here.
I also have website that I am trying to use to help keep track of my efforts. Please stop by. My e-mail address is [email protected] if anyone wants to chat.
Well I hope we can be friends? I'll be checking on you all lighter
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #47  

Welcome ,welcome my friend . Glad you want to join this little group .I'm not the one who started it .but i know you will be welcome here .It sounds like we all have suffer a lot of lost in our life .Maybe that why God has brought us together to help one other . I love making new friend but most of all kepting them .I hope we can all become life long friends and all make our goal .wouldn't it be wonderful to be come slim I can't wait ,how about you
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:34 PM   #48  

Default Welcome Joe Anne

Joe Anne I know you from the 300+ thread and I wanted to mention this one to you but never got around to it.

I am a newly diagnosed diabetic (type 2); I take Glucophage and watch my carbs. I check my fingersticks twice a day. So far they have been normal. I have lost some weight so far, 14 lbs on my doc's scales in May.

Venetia and Linda are really wonderful.

Okay ladies, now we have diabetes - what are we willing to do about it?????. How important is that candy bar or piece of pie to you??? Is it worth maybe losing a limb someday? We've got to control this thing and not let it control us.

Again Joe Anne - welcome aboard (and thanks for the encouraging words).

See you later.
dixiedarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:23 AM   #49  

Great news
I lost 2.25 pounds. I guess all my walking is working. I was really doing it to get my blood sugar lowerd, but I will find out soon how will I am doing in that part. I have a monthly doctors appointment tomorrow at 9:30 am and they usually do a blood draw. So far my HbA1c has been high but my cholesterol has been very good.
Thank you for the welcome, I feel like part of the family already.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:37 AM   #50  

Good for you Jo ann your doing wonderful Glad your doing so well .I did get out and did my walk yesterday .so that a start . I didn't do as good on my diet yesterday but i'm gonna try harder today .

dixiedarlin wrote Okay ladies, now we have diabetes - what are we willing to do about it?????. were gonna fight for or life . I seen to much happen and my family not to . Bad hearts ,kidneys trouble ,loss toes ,all that stuff and i don't want it .

Venetia you doing better today ? I hope i have a good eating day today . I started out with heartburn Hope it goes away soon .

well ladys I don't know about you but i got to clean this house today . My husband ask yesterday what i been doing setting all day so that means get with it .I hope you all have a blessed day and Girls let do our best today ,how bout it
Old 06-18-2003, 03:10 PM   #51  

Default Happy Hump Day!!

Hey ya'll.

Joe Anne - great work on the wt loss ; I don't know how our weight causes/affects diabetes, or anything else for that matter, but my doc assures me that if I get this weight down my blood pressure and the diabetes will improve. Are you watching your carbs and sugars (I was told to pay more attn to the carbs)? How did it go with your doc this morning?? Hope all was well.

Linda - I'm with you on cleaning house; it was cloudy and raining when i got up this morning so the laundry got put off (no dryer at home, have to hang it outside). I did get my bedroom vacuumed and dusted. Even though I'm single, I still have things to do, tho not as much as people that are married/divorced and have children/grandchildren. A couple of weeks ago I assigned different days to do different things, like Tues was vacuum day, Mon was laundry day. It worked really well. Monday is now grocery day, I don't work on Sun night so I have more time on Mon morning to do this. I need to schedule a clean the car day. I find i do better when I make a to-do list. I'm on this be organized kick lately. I found that when you do your chores early in the week, you have more time to enjoy the rest of the week and weekend.

Venetia - hope you are having a good day today and hope to see you in here later today.

Okay, I think that covers it. Let's all try to have a good eating afternoon. Glad to here you all are out there exercising.

See you guys later.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:12 PM   #52  

Default What the Doc says

I went to my appoinment expecting to have my blood drawn but then the new Doc says he wants to wait till mid July since it's been less then 3 months of being on glucovance.
He also suggested Atkins but modifying it for diabetes, the only thing is he didn't tell me how. But he is refering me to a dietician before my next apointment.
I also was asked to have a vision and dental check up, and to see a podiatrist. I guess they want me have a whole body check, at least thats my opinion.
That's about it, now I just gotta stay on plan and keep exercising to lose weight and keep the blood sugar down.
I'll be back tomorrow to see how you all are doing. So have a good evening
Old 06-19-2003, 12:13 PM   #53  

Hello everyone how are you today .I'm blessed .I had a good day so for .not so good yestersday But i'm gonna make it today .
Hi Joanne
I went and look at your web site and pictures it look like you lost quit a bet of weight .I need to work on my site i haven't for a while .I think you do better if you keep track and journal but i;ve gotten lazy lately ,maybe i'll get back with it again . I like reading and getting to know you better .
so doctor says Akins diet you'll have to let us know how that work for you .My oldest daughter trying it but i heard it wasn't safe .But if he work on it ,maybe it will do good for you .How dose Tops work? I never tryed that one . you kept up the good work and have a nice day .
Hi Venetia
How was your day? Sounds like you been busy and got a great plan to do your house .I need to do that too it mite help get more done around here.But it seem like i do the same things over and over . My car a mess to it need a good cleaning .it seem i;m alway running here or there for something .I also belong to a good diet christain group they kept me busy ,lots of e-mail.but i love making new friends. the more the better i think .I wonder where the rest of the ladys that belong to this group or ? I wish they would join in .
Well Ladys Have a good day .i'll stop by tomorrow to see how your doing .
Old 06-19-2003, 08:59 PM   #54  

I'm here at work; didn't get to the library today to use the computer.

Well, for some reason my lancets didn't come in this week (my pharmacist ordered them Fri when I needed a refill), so I've got to stretch out what I've got left, so that means only one fingerstick a day until they come in (I think I've got seven left). Which I really don't mind since I don't like sticking my fingers.

Food is doing good today; got supper to do a little later - Lean Cuisine and fruit again.

Do you guys have problems with being drowsy a lot; lately I've been drowsy, especially around midnight, I can hardly do my work for it, and then I'm sleepy going home. This has started recently. I wonder if it could be the glucophage??

Well, I've got to get back to work. Hope you all have a nice evening.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #55  

Default Good evening friends

I've been eating way too much carbs today. It started when I went to the movies with my little boy, we both had our own popcorn though I was willing to share but kids gotta have their own. BUT, I did get the smallest bag with NO butter and I brought home about 1/3 of it home. BUT then I had to go to a meeting with my daughter to her youth group and they had pizza for dinner. So I had two of the smallest slices I could find with veggies. Now I'll be up for a few hours and then I'll be so ready to sleep. All I can say for myself is that I tried and tomorrow I WILL do better.

Connie, maybe the drowsiness is due to having too many carbs all at once? That's what happens to me, I get such surge of energy and then latter I get so tired. But I also remember when I was first diagnosed that I was sleep all the time like I had never got any sleep, at first I thought this was true because I was also getting up at least 3-4 times just to use the restroom. But after I learned these are symtoms of diabetes then I knew why and about 5 weeks after I started the glucophage these symtoms went away.
I also had times when I didn't have any lancets so what I did was use one at least twice, but soaked it in peroxide after the first use, this way I kinda had a general idea of what my B/S reading were. But since the local clinic has opened I am able to get a few from them if I run out.

Foxylady, thanks for visiting my website. I am still learning about this internet stuff. I also think that keeping a journal is effective in losing weight and also an outlet for stress. I am hoping it will help others to be motivated, and not give up because it is long road, BUT, an achievable one.

When I get back from my trip I am hoping to add an exercise page so others can see what my progress has been like. Also some more pictures of me and my family.
Ok friends this is it for me, I need to get some wash done so I'll check on you all tomorrow
Old 06-20-2003, 07:22 AM   #56  

Hello my friend
It almost 6 am my husband had me up at 315 this morning so my eyes or not open to good .my daughter was up to 12 midnight so my sleep was not good and i got a headake this moring .
Joann all I can say is being diebatic is a pain Like Venetia said eating to much carb mite be doing it .Anything that raises your sugar to fast will make you feel like that .Or it dose me if my sugar is up i'm so tried i can't hardly go . But so will low sugar it seem we can't win .
Venetia
your welcome ,i enjoy getting to know you better . I like looking at sites i get some great tips sometime that have really help me .I want to go back and sign your guest book when i get time .I know i enjoy knowing who stop by mine .
well ladys i bet the rain with my walk so i got it in yesterday that 3 days and a roll not bad for me I mite be on a roll this time .Now if i can get back to Journaling again .that also help me to kept my blood sugar more steady . I guess i'm just rebellious ,I alway hated made to do something but it for our own good to take care of ourself .well ladys i got lots of mail waiting for me .you ladys have a wonderful healthy day
Old 06-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #57  
One day at a time..

Talking Hello Linda,Connie,Joanne!!

Welcome Joanne and hello Connie and Linda. I'll be back to posting regular messages in a few days. Our network has been messing up and we are getting a new Router to sort the mess out.

Wanted to let you know I am still around and will be back to normal soon. Have a great day today and watch your Carbs and sugar.

See ya later,
Venetia
Palm Bay, Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #58  
Just having some fun!

Default New here!

Hi! I am so excited to find a message forum that is so helpful! I am type 1 diabetic.

I was diagnosed in 97 with type 2, my doctor tried and tried to help me with different meds, gloucaphage, actos, amaril, etc. You name it I was on it or had just been taken off of it. After 4 years of this game, I changed doctors. The minute my new doctor walked in to the office, she immediatly told me what my problems were. We were able to track down exactly when I was starting to become diabetic - type 1. That was in 1985. I went untreated for over 13 years. I was 12.

So now, here I am. 31, type 1 diabetic. Diabetes runs rampant in my family (both sides of my family). I really, really wish that doctors would test for diabetes in children more often, especially if there is a very strong family history.

I am currently on a insulin pump and no meds, except the insulin and Zocor. I love it! It is so much better than getting 4 or 5 shots a day. My blood sugars are so much better under control now with it also, since it gives me insulin constantly throughout the day.

Ali
Ali Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:02 AM   #59  

Angry Welcome Ali

Hi Ali, welcome to the thread. I am new here, as is Linda, Venetia and Joe Anne.

I am type 2. I was diagnosed in March of this year. My doctor found it in my blood work. My weight is over 300 which didn't help matters. I also have a family history of diabetes - my grandmother and my aunt; my mother had a cousin that had diabetes. It's all on my mother's side of the family.

How sad that you were misdiagnosed all of those years. I hope that with your diabetes going undetected for so long that you haven't suffered permanent damage. I agree children (especially overweight children) should be tested for diabetes.

I'm at work right now, so I need to get busy (I work nights).

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #60  
One day at a time..

Talking HELLoooooo...

Ali, Just wanted to say WELCOME...More from me later.

Connie, don't work too hard tonight.\
Hi Linda and Joanne...
Goodnight to you all..
Lot's of rain today which we really needed.

Bye Bye for tonight.

Venetia
Palm Bay, Granny is offline   Reply With Quote