Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #151  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My company lingers on and I have so much to do. *credit* for recognizing I need to come here first. The most frustrating thing for me now is that I'm in such a vortex of activity that I haven't been able to fathom tracking my food in the way I was getting so used to. *credit* for making mindful choices and *credit* for speaking up last night when the visitors announced that they wanted steak and potatoes. When asked, I quietly mentioned that it sounded delicious but I was following a vegetarian lifestyle and that there would be plenty for me to enjoy even if I did not partake in the ribeye dinner.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for employing NO CHOICE to the sabotaging thought of additional afternoon snacks. Geez, I don't know WHY it's so hard to let go of things sometimes….I often set that box aside until a later date and the revisiting sometimes helps.

onebyone, great that you have made an appointment for Saturday. Keep forging ahead and keep your end vision in sight.

CeeJay, your credits look like a lot! One step, two step...keep moving forward!

gardenerjoy, looking forward to the report on a melorange.

Beverlyjoy, glad you were able to enjoy your tea yesterday even as you made your emotionally charged Dr. appt.

Ruby(RubyJan), planning ahead for your birthday with activities that put you on the path of living a responsible life for your body is "living a responsible life." *credit*….and Happy Birthday a few days early!

pamatga, *credit* for coming here and recommitting to reading BDS when you find yourself with stinkin thinkin resulting from pain and lack of sleep.

ChefJoona, great that your meetings left you not thinking of food. *credit* for preplanning your St Patty's Day dinner.

Gwen, I perused your blog this morning. That sure looks like a lot of work, but what a learning experience for you as you are on this journey.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #152  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Eating was sloppy yesterday. A combination of being home alone and doing kitchen chores. Which is actually a good combination for me, but I need to find a way to not eat my way throught it.

On the credit side, I hit the halfway point of my exercise on the Ides of March!

WI: +0.5kgs, Exercise: +50* 800/1600 minutes for March, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Height: 5'7"

Still reading posts daily but not getting time to post . I'm also still eating on my plan. Exercise is so-so. I'm trying to get outside more to walk, but it's sporadic.

Waves to everyone!

Jan
Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #154  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,
At work today. OP yesterday despite busy day. 2 pounds down from what I now call my " weekend weight". I am going to meditate and write about why weekends are so tough. Maybe the answer is get 3 pounds below goal and just roll with it. In any case. I am content and grateful for moderate eating.

Ruby Jan: Can you tell me anything about the Farleigh Dickinson Creative Writing MFA program that meets in Wroxton England for its winter semester. I was just accepted and have to chose between there or Goddard.

Teacher found a nine inch knife on one of our students today. I was a little freaked then I thought, If I wasn't here who would help protect all my kids.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #155  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry Can't get started today

Hi Coaches

I should be up an a 'em. You'd think I'd be panic-stricken but I am not.

I haven't done a thing and in fact slept in then lolled in bed listening to the news on the radio, feeling myself trying to grasp nuclear plant meltdowns, radiation poisoning, clouds carrying stuff that could contaminate the earth and the sea and why aren't we as a world farther ahead on leaving fossil fuel and nuclear energy behind? I was listening to a BBC podcast about the rise of China and in one part the interviewer was talking to the head of a Chinese engineering or construction firm. He said they had TEN THOUSAND engineers working on solving their construction or building problems so they could move rapidly ahead to get the job done fast and right. Ten thousand people harnessed to solve a specific problem. Surely we could manage to do that to move forward in a quest for safe non-polluting/less polluting energy?

All this contemplation is much preferrable to dealing wiht the table that has many drawings made in school strewn across it. Or the two mystery boxes that are shoved to the wall under the table. Or my self-portrait life size clay head that I made of myself with the mohawk hairstyle made of black feathers and the removable black plastic beak I made in first year sculpture class... keep or toss? Yesterday I thought: toss. Today I find msyelf wondering if it could fit in a box. This sculpture also has a two part plaster cast with rubber mask insert that came off the plaster model I made (which is on the floor of the living room and definitely will be kept). The plaster model was made from the rubber mask which was cast from the clay head=the original sculpture. Itwas a three part exercise: model your head in clay, take a cast of it in rubber, then cast another head from the rubber model we made. Like I'll ever do that again? Maybe on a small scale.

details details. I'm lost in details today.

Today I can't imagine how any of this stuff will actually physically leave my townhouse and get on a truck. Will the truck be empty I wonder. Have I done this right or did I mess up somewhere? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

And I can't believe I missed the Ides of March. It was yesterday. I need my normal life back

2 bathrooms + 1.3 bedrooms + 1 closet + 1 hallway (and a walkabout in the rooms already packed to pack up the loose stuff) until I reach my Saturday morning goal... and some re-arranging of stuff to make the move go smoothly.

I'll check in with an update later.
*credit weighed in at 286 today. Was 288
Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Exhausted, but reminding myself that food doesn't fix tired. Only a few more things to do then I can take a nap. We still have 19 heifers left to calve, but these girls are a long way off. DH got a second opinion from an old rancher, who agreed that at the earliest, we've got a week and a half until the next calf is born. They were supposed to be synchronized, but apparently there was a bit of mismarketing. The good news is that we'll move back home on Sunday. Can't wait to sleep in my own bed and cook in a normal kitchen. After that, we'll keep an eye on them when we feed them every AM and when they look close, we'll have a ranch hand look after them. DH and I have to get ready for lambing.

The dogs have been getting me out on plenty of walk/runs and I'm keeping up on yoga. I don't know if I'll get outside today since there are some wicked winds, but I did my yoga this AM when I still had energy.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Default Wednesday already?

Just a quick check-in. Want to get in a workout before I drive to LAX at the beginning of evening rush hour (yes, that's right, "evening" rush hour starts at about 2-3 pm!).

Today I weighed in at a new low: 172! I'm at the bottom of what I've come to think of as my "monthly spiral": dropping a few pounds and reaching a new low, and then gaining 3-5 back during my hormonal cycle. I like that I can recognize this pattern. As long as I keep spiraling down, however slowly, I can deal with these fluctuations.

I did intense exercise six times last week, and I think I'm seeing it on the scale this week. Gives me momentum to keep up with the planning and the exercise.

CREDIT for all these things, for checking in here, and for giving myself an early birthday treat yesterday: a solo trip into LA to see the new Jane Eyre at the best theater in the world (the Arclight), and stopping by my favorite cafe, which makes the best cappuccino in SoCal. Both my movie ticket and cappuccino were FREE (which is why I always hoard my 'rewards' cards and punch cards). The best part: the slow cruise down Sunset Blvd., enjoying my music and the evening breeze, the sights and sounds of where I used to live.

Hope all is well in your parts of the world! Sending much support and positive energy to you and yours!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #158  

Coaches/Buddies I'm sick. Strep test came back negative at least. I don't do sick well. Catch you all on the flip side of this.

Anne
Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #159  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Saint Patrick's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, including an evening meeting with NO FOOD involved - which seems rare in my life these days as all my functions seem to be food centric. Not to mention that I'm going out to lunch with friends today. Several boxes of stuff tackled, CREDIT moi, including some old electronics I've clutched for years in denial that once obsolete, it's all over.

onebyone - Yay for your calm side coming into control to finish the battle. I felt encouraged by the thought of your efforts as I worked some boxes yesterday. Giving up a sculpture is difficult - perhaps one more set of pictures would help since it might have more future value in a portfolio than on display.

Anne (AnneWonders) - I understand that, I "don't do sick well" either. Sending chicken soup.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for meeting your Ides of March goal, and Kudos for your consistency in setting and pursuing your monthly exercise goal. Maybe opening a bottle of bleach while doing chores in the kitchen would ward off the thought of food - I can't eat when I smell bleach.

Shepherdess - Ouch, going right from calving to lambing; you midwives don't get much of a break. Yay for running/walking with your dogs; I am jealous of all the range you have for your outings.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for speaking up for yourself. Beck should have referred to our speaking-up muscle that needs strengthening. [Yep, same here, sometimes I have to fondle something two or three times over weeks before I can let it go.]

MaryContrary - Yay for Jane Eyre and cappuccino; Yay for FREE. With Kudos for taking care of yourself. Happy Birthday!!! No doubt I'll get to see the movie since DW is a Charlotte Brontλ fan.

maryann - Lovely thought, "I am content and grateful for moderate eating."

ChefJoona - Yay for meetings that keep you from thinking about food - must be useful meetings, because the boring ones make me hungry, LOL.

pamatga - Sending sleep through the ether - agreeing that you need your rest to function. [Lifting only since my journey - about 5.5 years. Goal is merely to retain muscle and to be able to pull myself out of a jam.]

Jan (jmaf) - Hope you can make a slot in your day for your walking; stuff is appearing out of the ground as if the plants anticipate Spring.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 3

Many people blame our epidemic of obesity on the rise in highly caloric, highly palatable convenience foods. They point out that restaurant portions have grown by up to 60 percent in the past two decades, in step with rising numbers of overweight and obese adults.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 29.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #160  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Ok day yesterday. I munched on a few pretzles during a meeting... credit for avoiding the cookies that were also up for grabs. Did ok at the St. Patty's Day dinner, but not great. This mornings weigh-in showed up .2lbs from Sunday.

I woke up feeling really resistent to posting. I'm feeling down today. I have been struggling to sleep through the night- I wake up tossing and turning from stressful thoughts. I feel at odds with my body in several ways too. Credit for fighting my urge and making the choice to post.

On the plus side I have been starting to do a little strength training at home. Just some squats and modified push ups. I'm frustrated that my muscles feel weak and I want to find some way to start moving.

Food is planned and packed for today.

Last edited by ChefJoona; 03-17-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #161  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Reread first chapter of BDS. I know this stuff like the back of my hand but I am inconsistent in putting it into practice. Therein, lies the "rub". I'm smarter than this, much smarter.

Excited after going to my second class on diabetes. Last night was about reading food labels. I consider myself to be one who does since I log everything I eat every day without fail but again I am an honest "dolt" not subversive. I write down things for public and private view that most wouldn't bring to the light of the day. I am still trying to figure out the psychology in that "move". Hmm?

Some pointers she shared:

Use the plate method for portion control. The three compartments paper/plastic plates are the "gold standard" (9"). Where most of us put the meat or protein in (the biggest section) we "should" (ideally) be putting our non-starchy vegetables. Then, the protein should go in one of the two smaller sections along with a starch in the other. Sounds like the "Sonoma Diet" to me.

All food labels are based on a daily 2000 calorie intake. The percentages shown are for that. If you want to know how many calories you should have of each food group then use the percentage number against how many calories you are either trying to eat or plan to eat. Fortunately, the food log I use online does the calculating for me but at least I know how to do it "by long hand" if need to.

I have relied on using artificial sweetners for over two decades. She did not recommend this. Instead she recommended limited use of foods with sugar in them. She emphasized portion control and eating all foods in moderation. Having a piece of cake;ie, to celebrate special occasions. I like this in theory but I facililate between doing well with this and doing not so well with this.

Next week is counting carbs. She recommends 45-60 grams of carbs per meal. I counted carbs for two years (2008-2010) while following the South Beach Diet. I will credit it with 1) curbing my cravings for sweets 2) cleaning up some poor food choices. I've since expanded to counting all macronutrients each day and trying to average my recommended amounts weekly.

I had lots of questions. I'm not sure if I annoyed her or not. One person brought her chocolate chip cookies from Souplantation. I thought, "what?" No points for kissing up.

I am proud that my blood glucose is and has been under control for nine months. I am so glad I found out early on and made some simple but important changes. I just want to tweak my knowledge and then apply it.

Knees hurting since resuming walking on treadmill. Sleep lightly all night but I was sleeping.

I need to give myself more pep talks. Like Dorothy all I have to do is click my heels together and teleport myself to "Onederland". It awaits......

Last edited by pamatga; 03-17-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #162  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday I went over my calories by about 100. It was mixed; I got some exercise but not enough, my meals were a bit higher in calories as I improvised with leftovers, I had my evening snack-but measured and moderate. I had some feelings of unfairness as I made DH a cheesy leftover for both lunch and dinner but stuck to my plan. I said no choice and stuck with my healthier choice. Today will be better. I will exercise more and will be mindful of my choices.

BillBlueEyes, yay for meetings without food! It sure makes it easier to stick to the original plan. *credit* for continual decluttering.

gardenerjoy, you reminded me to catch up on my exercise tally. It really helps. Funny how a certain combination (home alone and kitchen chores) can generate sloppy food habits one day and good ones on another. A good reason to always remain vigilant!

Jan(jmaf), great that you are still eating on your plan. Thanks for checking in with us and sharing your continuing success!

maryann, great that you keep analyzing your weekend weight. Kudos for feeling content and grateful.

onebyone, hoping you've found some clarity in the details you were "lost in" yesterday.

Shepherdess, yay for getting back home so you can get ready for lambing. It sounds like you have pulled through this season taking care of your own needs, too.

MaryContrary, congrats! for a new low, and for recognizing the positive steps that you have taken to participate in the process. An early Happy Birthday to you!

AnneWonders, take care! I've been trying to get a bug, too.

ChefJoona, *credit* for avoiding cookies and especially for posting when feeling resistant!

pamatga,you said, "I am proud that my blood glucose is and has been under control for nine months. I am so glad I found out early on and made some simple but important changes. I just want to tweak my knowledge and then apply it." *credit* Such a big step in the big picture!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-17-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning. I don't have to work until 1:30 so I am enjoying puttering. Chilly here for California with unseasonable bouts of rain. Right now, though, sunny. I am thru my second cup of coffee and as a result I feel myself unwind. The last of the weekend weight is gone. No plans to go anywhere for another week so I feel I can really settle into a clean, few days of eating. It is funny that I am more excited about an "easy eating weekend" then traveling to any exciting vacation area.
onebyone: I was thinking about the nuke question last night, as well. How afraid the Japanese must be - worrying about their children and if they would wake up tomorrow to a different world. I'll give my boy a big kiss today.
Shepardess: Credit for remaining peaceful when you are not home. Home is very important to me as well.
MaryContrary: Congrats on your new low.
BBE: I regret my boxes of electronic junk as well. It seems such a waste to throw things like that out. Credit for your work.
ChefJoona: Credit for checking in when you don't want to. It is those types of actions that really make a change in your life over time.
Pagmata: Interesting reading you diabetes notes. Carbs are the key factor to control for me. I have had to lower my carbs per meal to 36grams in order to stop feeling hungry.
Lexxiss: It is never easy to cook for others who do not share the same issue. Quite a balancing act in a family. Credit for your plans,

Last edited by maryann; 03-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

Somehow I stayed with the closed thread and didn't think that of course I needed to find the March one. I want to tell everyone how much it helps me to see peoples encouragement and atta girls/boys to people who post on this thread. It doesn't even have to be aimed at me. I am also so encouraged by so much weight loss on this thread.

I went from a phase 1 to a phase 2 on my diet and have been doing everything that Beck suggests (except serious exercise--I have been walking some, tho). Still when I added just a piece of fruit a day, I stopped losing weight and have even gained a little. I do say ah, well and try to figure what went wrong, but I do feel somewhat discouraged. I do believe if I stick with it I will lose. I lost 5 pounds on the first phase (two weeks) of my diet and I am grateful for that. So, I am glad to be "evesdropping".

Sharon
Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Just in from my walk . Even if I haven't been doing my hard-core exercises, at least I'm getting something in (credit). Food has been good, but I ate a bit more yesterday compared to my normal amount - going away lunch for someone at work. Dinner was on-track, though.

I have a corned beef brisket in the slow cooker for tonight and will have it with some roast cabbage and carrots. Oh, and maybe half a Guiness...! Then on to watching basketball .

jicarilla: welcome to the March thread! Are you on South Beach? When I went to phase 2 (did SB a few years ago), it took me a couple of weeks for things to stabilize. I think most weight lost during the first 2 weeks is water weight, and adding carbs back in (no matter how little) will cause your body to stablilize it's water amounts.

maryann: Hear you! I'm the same with looking forward to an 'easy eating weekend' compared to going out and doing more.

Lexxiss: I know the feelings of 'unfairness' - most of the time I tell myself that my DH really shouldn't be eating that kind of stuff anyway (he's a cheese fanatic!) even if he's not worried about his weight. Congrats to sticking with your healthier choices!

pamatga: someone brought the instructor a cookie?? In a class on diabetes?!?! REALLY?!?! That's pretty interesting! About your questions - you should ask as many as you like, even if she's annoyed! Who knows, you may never see her again after the class, but the information from your answered questions will go far. Congrats on keeping your blood levels under control!

ChefJoona: I'm also having problems sleeping - I think it's the time change for me. Stick with the squats and push ups. Soon you will be stronger.

BBE: All meetings should involve no food!! I agree on how things are really becoming food-centric. Congrats on getting rid of old electronics - wish I could convince my DH to do that.

Anne: Hope you get better soon. Chicken soup and rest are the only things that help me.

MaryContrary: Sounds like your solo trip was fun! Congrats on the 'new low'!

Shepherdess: Good luck on the lambing and calving. Sounds like you are exceptionally busy this time of year!

onebyone: all the news re: Japan is really scary to me, too. I'm finding myself checking the news sites often. Good luck with the packing. I'm in the midst of trying to clean out my studio at home. I ran across a bunch of paintings I did when I was just starting to paint and I decided that they were bringing me down rather than making me happy. I ended up tossing the lot. I don't need extra baggage. I'm sure I'll never miss them!

Sorry if I missed anyone!

Jan
Closed Thread