Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

RubyJan- hope your strike does not last too long.

BillBlueEyes- credit for saying no to pizza.

ChefJoona- lots of credits for you yesterday.

Lexxiss-yum= smoked salmon. Credit for saving it until after your blood test.

Gwen-sorry you are having a rough go. I also have a husband who can stop at one. Damn them anyway.

onebyone- hope you had a good day packing with your friend.

Beverlyjoy- yay for eating healthy-- even scraping the salt off the pretzels!! Speaking of salt- I am going to dinner with friends at the Olive Garden tomorrow. I googled the calories- that was bad enough, but the salt in the food blew my mind. I mean, I know restaurant food is salty but some of those dinners have up to 3000 mg of salt. The Tour of Italy, which was my go-to meal has 1450 calories and 3830 mg of salt!!! I am so not eating that. Thanks for reminding us of the importance of watching out for this.

I like your idea of a thread for daily menus- posting what I eat helps keep me accountable. Plus I really love getting ideas from what the rest of you are eating.

pamatga-loved your description of spring. It will eventually make it's way north- can't wait!!

gardenerjoy- sorry for no drop in weight- glad you are saying oh well.

RunningFree- kuddos for 5 binge-free days. That is fantastic!!

For me, credit today for:

weighing in
walking 30 mins with mom
eating healthy and on plan. I did eat an extra WW muffin this afternoon and had a very big run of sabotaging thoughts- but was able to remember that this is exactly how I start in on uncontrolled eating and that the consequence of eating more was going to be very very bad. So I did not.
planning tomorrow
checking in with my coaches
reading response and advantage cards

Tomorrow I am headed for the city. I am bringing my lunch to eat between shopping stops. Dinner is going to be the Olive Garden so I have looked at their website and am going to eat only half of one of the less calorie and fat laden entrees and bring the rest home to the hubby.

Take care
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #227  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Still not 100% but getting there. I did do a bike scavenger hunt/adventure race event on Sunday. Was really too sick to, but had signed up with a partner so gave it a shot.

I have passed up work food (donuts, ice cream) two days in a row, and feel good about that. I reminded myself today that I felt great yesterday, and that made today easier. I'm also focusing on the things that make me feel good in the long run (my ARC) and less on the immediate gratification. Had a great on-plan day today.

Work continues to be busy but good. I am packed up for a quickie mountain bike ride tomorrow before work. Still sick, but close enough if I take it easy. Clothes are laid out, lunch is packed, and I have my act together generally. Uncommon, but I'll take it.

Thanks all for being here. I read even when I'm too cranky to post. The ship is turning.

Anne
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #228  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough for eating on plan, CREDIT moi, despite a double snack in order to make some tension go away. It didn't make tension go away, just annoyed me that I'd fallen for such an old Sabotaging Thought.

Walking was my exercise, CREDIT moi - still cool around here.

onebyone - Yay for the endgame - packing with the phone to your ear. Hope it continues to come together.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Yay for work that "continues to be busy but good." Here's hoping that your robust healthy self re-emerges.

CeeJay - Kudos for carefully planning your trip to Olive Garden - they do server pasta with a heavy hand.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Oh Yes, Double Kudos - one for reducing the books in storage and another for getting them to new owners via the book fair.

Beverlyjoy - I just love hearing that the kids next door come over to your place for a "Dancing with the Stars party." Kudos for avoiding the Girl Scout cookies.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Absolutely drooling over your "Squaw Candy." Kudos for consistency.

ChefJoona - Yay for walking in the snow - in Spring! When you figure out how to beat slouching, let me know.

Ruby (RubyJan) - Yay for the British Library for allowing you to read 18th Century pamphlets. Would think it difficult sticking to the RJPlan if you had to look over your shoulder worrying about being carted off to the Insane Asylum.

pamatga - Lovely visual of all the flowering trees of Spring in Atlanta. LOL at your 10% commission.

Gwen - Ouch for the junk food quick sand. Would seem that that stuff has to be blocked at the front door if it's a trigger for you. Or immediately moved to the trunk of your DH's car. Yep, you'll "get control of this" because you'll think of which strategy gets the stuff out of your reach before the time of temptation. Sending supportive thoughts to your thinking process on this one.

RunningFree - Kudos for doing the reward bracelet thing - great visual and tactile reminder.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 5

As you near maintenance, the initial thrill of dieting usually wears off. You don't see a drop in weight every week or maybe even every other week. You stay in the same clothing size for much longer. You start taking the many amazing benefits of weight loss for granted, and your motivation goes down.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 30.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #229  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

On plan eating day yesterday, aside from a slice of Birthday cake from a local bakery at the office.... I guess I can't call that an on plan day. I went for a small slice, but felt it all day- a slight stomach ache from the concentrated fat and sugar. Suffice it to say I didn't need an afternoon snack. Dinner was healthy. I had a few jelly beans after dinner, but really did not need the extra sugar.

DF and I went out for a walk, and I did my free weights. CREDIT!!!! I don't think I'll be walking after work today, as we have social plans, but that's ok. I am allowing myself to start off slow with exercise and fit it in where it fits in to develop a good habit.

Today is one of those days where I'm out of the office at meetings from 11am-2:3pm, which makes packing a lunch really hard. I know of a couple sandwhich places where I can get something healthy for lunch while I am out and about.

Gwen My stick skinny fiance lives on junk food, so it is always in the house. Things that he brings in that don't go in the freezer go right into his man cave room. For the most part I do well with out of sight, out of mind. Putting it somewhere- someone else mentioned the trunk of the car- might be even more helpful so its not even in the house. I talk a lot about my diet plan with my DF, as it was an adjustment for him to not have me eat the same food as him. He is slowly turning into a great coach. Keep up the persistence and you will figure out what works for you. I do believe the general consensus from professionals- including Beck- is that starvation or fasting is not an effective tool for sustainable weight loss, though it may feel like it helps to kick start things. Its so frustrating when our bodies just don't do what we want to to dispite our efforts!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #230  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking That awful yet hilarious wedding story...

Beverlyjoy I was listening to BBC last night and heard them asking for wedding photos and wedding stories. I really encourage you to send them a photo and send them your hilarious wedding story--I am really hoping it's your story and not gardenerjoy's... well whichever one of us Becksters who has the wedding story with the husband being taken out for a drink by the guy in the bar and the snowstorm and the wrong cake and all that... send your story to the BBC. I think they would love it! Here's the link for the broadcast that includes the description of the project:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ok_15_03_2011/

And here's their direct facebook link to the project:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Outlook-BBC-World-Service/149887627901
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #231  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My plan took a twist when I found out there was a neat lecture in Snowmass by the curator of the Denver museum about the Ice Age excavation. I packed up a picnic dinner for us (Aspen food is expensive), and stuck with my plan. I had calories left over and enjoyed a bowl of oatmeal when returning home. I don't include it any other time, because it triggers carb cravings for me. Before bed it was enjoyable and I woke up feeling fine. We're packing the car to head over the divide. I hate to leave, but my back is tired of carrying the old pup up and down the stairs.

BillBlueEyes, drat for falling for an old sabotaging thought but *credit* for getting out for a cool walk.

ChefJoona, *credit* for not partaking in your afternoon snack after the cake. Great for starting out slow with exercise but "doing it".

AnneWonders, yay for passing up work food AND reminding yourself that you feel so much better when you do.

CeeJay, great that you have researched your restaurant before going there!

RunningFree, great that you have picked a goal to work on and that you are using your Beck tools to help you through.

gardenerjoy, yay for spontaneous exercise, decluttering and recycling good books all in one fell swoop.

pamatga, your description of Spring sounds just heavenly. As I write, our dear friend, who is still paralyzed is on a lear jet enroute to Shepard Center. His wife will live on campus and she will be comforted by the flowers. Great that you are already stronger and standing straighter as you step up your program.

Beverlyjoy, great that you accomplished so many of your goals, even as you enjoyed your kickoff party. Major credit for Not eating as you face your health concerns again.

onebyone, I hope you enjoyed your friend's art exhibit yesterday as you tackle the last leg of your journey, I'd imagine, quite burnt out. Yes, I agree, Beverlyjoy's wedding story would certainly qualify!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #232  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Well, I’m back home after calving, which is great. It’s good to be back home and in my own bed, though I don’t spend quite as much time in my bed as I would like. The hours I’m working are pretty tough to get used to. Yes, I’m teaching in the middle of the night. I’m teaching 4 1 to 3 AM classes a week, 2 11:30 PM to 12:30 AM classes and one evening class. I’m teaching English in S. Korea, so I’m teaching on their time. It’s hard getting used to this schedule. I’m trying to sleep during the day, but having a hard time with it. Since I’m new, I get the bottom of the barrel pick of hours. But I took all these hours just to get some experience and hopefully some seniority so that after the baby comes, I’ll get a better pick of hours.

I have been keeping up exercise with the lack of sleep. My dogs still need to get out and move. Luckily, we’ve been having amazing weather, though rather windy. I’m still working on a food plan that accommodates this new schedule. It’s strange to realize how much my eating is tied to a specific schedule and I’m at a bit of a loss when that schedule changes. So far I’ve made good choices and am beginning to get this all figured out.

Lexiss, great job being flexible enough to stay healthy when you plan changed! The lecture sounds so interesting!

ChefJoona, ouch for the small piece of cake that made you feel lousy for the rest of the day, but great job skipping a planned snack to make up for it. And if that was your only food offence, it was a good day. Kudos for getting out and exercising.

BillBE, great job on a good enough day. Funny how eating never makes the tension go away, no matter how many times we try it. I wish I didn’t need those reminders that food doesn’t fix stress, but can’t seem to remember that one.

AnneWonders, I’ve wanted to try one of those scavenger races. They look like fun. Sorry you were still under the weather for yours. Yay for “the ship is turning!”

CeeJay, great job stopping yourself after a single off-plan muffin. I’m so impressed that you were able to talk back to yourself and remember your long term goals. That is a huge victory!

Welcome RunningFree! It’s great to have another runner on the forum. Great job on 5 days binge free. Once you make it to your goal, you can set another goal. After achieving a string of goals, you can prove to yourself that you can do it! And if you slip, you can always set a new goal.

Waving to everyone else!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #233  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow hard to care

Hi Coaches

Well my friend M came by this morning wiht her daughter and now *credit* my kitchen cupboards are done. She took two big boxes of food to the foodbank and a donation box to drop off of books. We packed a box of dishes up and now she's gone for a half an hour to drop her daughter off at school. he daughter entertained Caesar and watched videos while we worked so that was great.

I can say, I don't much care how much I get done here now. I just really want to close my eyes and make it all go away. I talked to my mom this morning. She went on an outing, her first with the Villa where she lives (senior's residence), so both my sister and called to encourage her to go out. They went to the sugar bush yesterday. Today when I asked her about it she only recalled being on the school bus, which she totally enjoyed. What she kept saying today was, "I don't know what to get you for a wedding present."
"Mum, I'm not getting married."
"You're not? Why not? You can just walk into a church."
"No, mum, I'm not getting married."
PAUSE...
"Well I don't know what kind of wedding present to get you but I'll get you something." This was the alzheimer's loop of the day for me today. It's always something and almost always different. I prefer this one to the "They're all dead. My mother's dead, my father's dead, my sister's dead, my brother's dead. I'm the only one left. I'm the head of the household. I can't believe I am the head of the household." See? the "get married" loop is better.

Foodwise I am not doing very well. Lots of impromptu food craving attacks. I give in and I don't gi ve in. I am not very self-disciplined. I did weigh-in this morning: 287 but I ate chicken wings late last night right before bed and am living with the TOM stuff so... a few factors there to be considered. Scale # as information only today.

Better go. This friend is all business! No nonsense! Get the work done! She told me to get my shoes packed up into this box (already had some shoes in it) before she gets back. So I'd better do it. It's good she's on my case as I more than likely would have done the bare minimum today and completely freaked tomorrow. Friends, as we all know here, are worth their weight in gold... in which case being overweight would be an asset! ha!

Bye Beckies.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #234  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yesterday was mostly healthy. That being said, it was a day of struggle to stay with my plan, so I am not surprised that when our sweet little neighbor's brought homemade chocolate chip cookies over it was a huge challenge. They wanted to share. Ugh - I stayed away from them for a couple of hours - then I caved in and had a couple. It's not the end of the world - I got up today and planned for a healthy day.

Good happy news... I have lost five pounds in the last few weeks. I finally did change my ticker down. I am grateful for the willingness to keep trying again and again.

It/this really is a life long struggle for me. (certainly, you all, too) Some days go fine and easier... other days, not so easy - of course. It is overwhelming to me sometimes that I have to 'deal' with food the rest of my life. It is what it is... and I will move forward.

I will credit myself for many things before the chocolate cookies. Going off plan doesn’t negate all the healthy things I did before that - during the day:

Lots of water
Stretches
No seconds
Left a bite
Arc/rc
Planned/measured/logged
Wrote in my journal

Shepardess - goodness, credit to you for living well with your unusual schedule. It’s a good idea to get time in now before the baby comes, yes. So glad you are home. It’s good you have the dogs who remind you to get out and walk.

Lexxiss/Debbie - many kudo’s packing your supper and including your oatmeal at a time that shouldn’t trigger overeating. Safe travel to you.

Onebyone - I checked out the link about the stories and wedding stories. We certainly have a heck of a story!!! I would have to find the photos. They were the best part of the wedding! - wonderful. Thanks!!!

Chefjoona - the fact that you did not overeat the rest of the day after eating the unplanned birthday cake is a major credit!! Good job planning ahead for exercise and scoping out a place for lunch that has healthy food.

Billbe - you said: despite a double snack in order to make some tension go away. It didn't make tension go away. Don’t you wish we could tatoo this on our brains!! Glad you got your walk in… credit.

Anne wonders - so glad you were well enough to do the bike scavenger hunt. I am doing a happy dance as I read you passed up ice cream and donuts!

Ceejay - major credit for addressing your sabotaging thought after eating the extra muffin. Credit for planning ahead for your time in the city! Maybe I’ll put a thread out for menus. Folks don’t seem to want to post much outside of this monthly thread. We could try it out.

Pamatga - I agree - I think when we help others here at Beck or even talk about Beck at other forums - we are reinforcing what we need to be doing as well as sharing. Credit for you wonderful water input! Six pounds is awesome!!!! Glad your workouts are making you feel stronger.

Gardender/joy - phooey when the scale doesn’t show our staying on plan! Dr. Beck says it only one moment in time… hard to live this, however. Yes!.. Hauling books in great spontaneous exercise.

running free - kudo’s on five binge free days!!!! It is a major accomplishment. Try not to worry about whether or not you will binge again after your challenge. I think I’ve learned that it’s good to plan for the future, but definitely take living with food -one day at a time.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #235  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We got an immersion blender. I made a smoothie which was good and a great quick way to get in a dairy serving (I struggle with that some days) and potato-garlic soup which was a bit less successful. Neither one of us particularly like soup, but I like the idea of soup, so I keep trying!

WI: -0.1kgs, Exercise: +40* 1120/1600 minutes for March, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

RunningFree: good luck with your 10 day challenge. It might be helpful to record the moments that you want to binge during this time. With that, you could do some detective work to figure out ways you might be able to change your environment to help make it easier -- things like taking a walk at a time of day that you find it particularly difficult to stay away from things you don't want to eat.

CeeJay: yay for all of your credits and your excellent plan for being in the city!

AnneWonders: glad you're feeling better and yay for the great on-plan day!

BillBlueEyes: yay for staying on plan and recognizing the Sabotaging Thought that bit you

ChefJoona: good job planning a rest day when it would be difficult to exercise anyway and thinking through a difficult lunch time.

onebyone: Glad you have a friend helping you out today.

Lexxiss: great idea to plan an impromptu picnic!

Shepherdess: lovely to "see" you -- I've been missing your reports. I can see that it would be difficult to plan food appropriately around that schedule. I'm glad that you're getting it worked out.

Beverlyjoy: Yep to this: "Some days go fine and easier... other days, not so easy." That fact still takes me by surprise nearly every day, both the easy days and the difficult days.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-23-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #236  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, and I welcome myself back after a few days absence. I have credits and struggles as always. I did better this weekend than I have done in many weeks. I bought vegies and found new recipes. I cut back carbs and felt no hunger. Then Monday came - my easy day- and I scoured the halls of my school for chocolate. Tuesday, I jumped totally down the rabbit hole on sugar. It is no secret to anyone close to me that I am struggling in my job. I have a twenty year service pin at my school district and I feel I can't do it anymore. I am on "overwhelm" all the time. It is not the kids, the correcting, my administration or the emotional demands. It is the state regulations that don't care if I am developing spirits - that only count a test number and it is parents abandoning their children expecting me to parent their kid. It is sad and frustrating and I can't meet everyone's expectations. Being a people pleaser, that is a tough situation to be in. I have been trying to make changes but they are slow and complicated - to the point of I am beginning to wonder if God wants me to stay.
I am uncomfortable and I am eating, not sleeping - sad. We are at war in this society and I have served my time on the front line. I think it is time to request a transfer to something out of the line of fire. But I feel guilty. Who will help the kids when I am gone? Still, the two things I know are "There is a God" and "I am not it!" So I will stay OP today. I have 12 hours under my belt and I will wait for further direction from this great universe of ours.

Thanks everyone for listening. I'll catch up with all this week. I changed my ticker because I have stayed 2 pounds up for basically a month and the one thing I know that works always in my life is honesty.

Last edited by maryann; 03-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #237  
Simply Filling Technique

I will say more tomorrow (I hope) -"same old same old" about sleep, knees and messing with what I want to be a "normal" schedule, which I don't have. Who or what is leading here? It doesn't feel like me right now. I am going with the flow but it sure feels like waiting for the raft to hit the rapids (if anyone here has gone whitewater rafting). Waiting to exhale.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 175/168/140

Height: 5'11

Today I stayed OP.
Practiced taking 30 seconds between bites. At dinner I put into my plate 3 chicken drumsticks, but with enough time to think between bites, decided that after 2 drumsticks I am no longer hungry and gave up the third.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #239  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Default Another Strike DAy

Hello Everyone --

We have our second strike day today -- but it all has been very token-like -- and I expect after losing two day's pay, we will all go back to work a bit poorer and with little done to save the pensions of those who are now under 45 or so...well, the will still have a pension plan, but it will be a worse one than the one we had, and that has been preserved for everyone who is over 55 now.

I have been on the RJP for three days now, and I feel GREAT! Just cutting out the big sugar foods has raised my level of energy. I am hoping that on day 7, my weight loss will register on the scale.

MaryANN -- Gosh, I know how utterly frustrating it is to be in the midst of this global, brutal attack on education. And the exhaustion and frustrations that go with it. I sometimes feel, myself, that I should just give up...but then I also know that no body is going to support me if I decide to become a 'free-lance' scholar. But its the teaching that is the thing about an academic life that justifies the rest -- trying to help young people figure out how to figure out how to be a person in the world.

My plan for lunch today is grilled eel and salad; dinner -- beans and a chicken breast and lots and lots of water....

My best wishes to all.... Ruby
Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #240  
Simply Filling Technique

Ruby and Mary I really feel for you regarding the choices that you have to make. It sure seems to be quite a year so far all around the world. It just makes a person wonder where it is all leading us to.

Early check-in. Feeling very mentally wore out. I hope April is better. That is all I can say.
Closed Thread