Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #301  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Quick check in.

Credit yesterday for free weights. Made a very healthy dinner... quinoa, carrots and roasted chick peas with a side of brussel sprouts. I have three more servings for lunch or dinner during the remainder of the week.

I had a high protein greek style yogurt for a snack around 3pm yesterday (normally I have a piece of fruit or something else carb based). I noticed a big difference in my hunger level for the rest of the day (it was much less than it usually is). I think I am going to make the yogurt my regular afternoon snack and see if this continues. Helpful information!

I bought some fat free ice cream at the store this past weekend because I have been craving ice cream and got into DF's full fate ic cream a couple times recently. I thought this would be a good alternative, but I am feeling the urge to throw it out. I don't want the sugar, and it seems even if I stick to just a small portion of the ice cream I end up putting a topping (or toppings) on it which just increases the calories.

Tonight is a potluck birthday celebration for a friend. I will go in armed with my Beck skills and a healthy contribution that will help me stay on plan!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #302  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We can add "writing anxiety" to the list of things that eating does not fix. The dreaded blank page stays blank no matter how much I eat. Oh well, could have been worse.

Today is going to be one of those days that resists planning, but my goal is to focus on veggies and limit the starches. And exercise, because I'm within reach of my goal for March.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +70* 1465/1600 minutes for March, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #303  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Thanks for the welcome!

The books I'm reading are the Beck Diet Solution and the Beck Diet for Life. I also am reading The End of Overeating by Kessler.

I'm on Day 8, creating time and energy, and one of the most important things in this step for me is having moved the exercise bike from my bedroom to the living room. It's unsightly, but while I watch my daily dose of stupid tv I can exercise. Instead of being a couch potato, I'm going to be a bike celery!

Another way to fit exercise in is to stay in the town where my children go to school instead of driving home. My kids go to school an hour from home, so the driving back and forth each day puts me sitting in the car for 4 hours. Instead, I'm going to bring my snack and lunch with me and walk the local trails until my kids get out of school. I won't be able to do it every day, but I'm going to plan for a minimum of 2 days a week for that.

I'm going to keep my fridge stocked up with the foods I need to keep myself on plan- 0% Chobanis, spring mix lettuces, tuna, asparagus, and lots of other fruits and veggies. I don't eat meat besides fish, so I can easily have a stash of tuna around for protein (tuna made with no mayo, just a dressing of garlic, lemon juice, and cumin).

I spoke with a local IRL friend who is also trying to lose weight to see if she'd agree to be my diet coach; she felt honored I chose her, and we spoke last night about checking in daily either via phone or email. She's going out of the country for a few weeks, so I'll post here during that time.

One big challenge is coming up for me this weekend. One of my boys will be having his birthday and my mother will be visiting. I always tend to overeat when my mother is around (she's always been overweight), but I'm determined to keep only healthy foods in the house, and I'll pass on the cake and ice cream. I'm going to have a fresh mango instead.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #304  
doing it

Good morning Coaches,

Had some time this morning to catch up on this thread...

Lexxiss - I'm another green smoothie fan! I just got a vitamix last year and was really amazed at the difference between this blender and my old one.

RunningFree - I binge also. I'm hoping Beck will finally help me conquer this. Press forward and remember that food does not bring comfort in stressful times. Hoping you are having a better day today.

ChefJoona - hope today's potluck goes well. Your dinner sounded wonderful.

Beck - hello from one newbie to another. I liked The End of Overeating also. Sounds like you are making good on the daily tasks.

Hope everyone is having a good day so far.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #305  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I’m still hanging in there, but this schedule is pretty tough. It was made worse when I was called in to work a couple of times this week when I had planned to sleep. I’m still working out the wrinkles, but have hope that I’ll settle into a routine here soon. I was doing pretty well with food, but had meltdown yesterday. I did finally pull it together and had a salad for a late dinner during a break between classes.

I’ve been struggling to be perfect for the last week. Meticulously tracking calories and nutrients to make sure I get everything I need. Clearly I’m a woman of extremes. I’ve got to let go of that perfectionism. I’m struggling with stress, frustration at a number of things with this job and trying to deal with a wonky sleep schedule, all while growing human. I can’t eat absolutely perfectly on top of that. I need to learn to live with good enough.

On a positive note, exercise remains consistent. I’ve been getting out and for walk/runs with the dogs every day and even getting in an occasional yoga or strength workout. We’ve been lucky to have amazing weather. We’re being threatened by a big spring storm, but so far, we’ve only had a few snowflakes fall. We’ll likely get our big spring blizzard (or two) before too long, but I’m enjoying the weather while it lasts.

Thanks, coaches, for being there to support me and letting me rant!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #306  

S/C/G: 175/168/140

Height: 5'11

onebyone, for buying nutritious food and your warriors attitude.

tarte, credit for not binging after dinner. And good luck with your exercise routine.

RubyJan, for being 3 pounds leaner even though you were working a lot.

Lexxiss, yay for planning, tracking, exercising and staying within your calorie range.

BillBlueEyes, I like your calm, good energy. Thank you.

ChefJoona, yay for healthy choices and even more yay for your determination to use Beck skills at potluck.

gardenerjoy, sorry for planning resistant day, but you are still making a good choices and credit goes to you for that.

Beck, wow you are doing so great with all Beck tasks. Kudos for that.

Beck Day 17. Today I practiced not to overeat. For lunch, I loaded my plate with two pieces of chicken breast fillet, some raw vegetables and a cookie. Plan was to eat only one chicken fillet, leave veggies for later and not to touch cookie. It was easy.
I was playing with the same cookie all day: on my plate, out of my plate. But usually I am not tempted if it’s just one cookie or just a little piece of chocolate. I would have been more tempted if it were whole jar of cookies or a large chocolate bar. Then my need to destroy it would have kicked in. I just don’t feel about little cookie like it’s a threat.
To fulfill my need of discipline I made a strict schedule for all daily activities. I hope this way I’ll be able to organize my life better.
And I put a big box of chocolate assortment on my desk. Yesterdays binging relapse really scared me, so I’ll train my resistance muscle a little harder, so that it wouldn’t let me down next time.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #307  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks -

Beck - welcome!
Yesterday went better. I did my stretches, strengthening & recumbent bike - credit for that! I stayed with my plan until evening. I am letting stress, not sleeping and pain issues overtake my willingness. However, I have planned for a good day today and will move forward with my Beck techniques.

As always, I appreciate you all and your support with no judgement.

Hope you are having a GREAT day.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #308  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone

Another quick check in.

Credit today for

riding exercise bike 30 min.
doing weights
reading response and advantage cards
reading a bit of the Pink Workbook
eating reasonably well and on plan

Will be away tomorrow and Friday so hope you all enjoy the rest of the week and I'll check in on Saturday.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #309  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking only one day to catch up

Hi Coaches

Looks like I will be on the road April Fool's Day and not tomorrow but maybe I am wrong. We'll see how the day progresses.

I have the 1-888-junk-van coming between 8 and 12 tomorrow to take my stuff away. I am dithering about whether I can't just throw away the garbage bags myself but really, they should just do it all shouldn't they? YES. Yes. Yes.
It's more feelings of embarrassment at not taking care of this myself, and of showing my neighbours that indeed I do have junk.

Oh well. Once it's over it is truly over. I have to wait to get my car back in the afternoon. I brought it in for servicing and for a paint touch up. The paint is done the buffing of the paint is not so there's a delay. It's too bad cause that causes a delay in me packing my car one last time. And this means it brings me closer to being on the road at night and I'm not so sure I want to do that. But if I stay around for one more night I'll spend it over at my mom's.

I still thought I was here tomorrow night but I'm not. Weird. Finally. Great.

Better get to bed. I have a lot of "panic packing" to do in the morning. I think from now on I'll make us move every 5 years so we simply can't accumulate so much stuff --- whether it's good stuff or not.

OMG I'm getting my life back. SO GLAD.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #310  
doing it

Default day 10: set a realistic goal

There really isn't much to do in today's chapter. Clearly, she is discouraging unrealistic expectations and wants everyone to set a goal to "lose 5 lbs." So although the ultimate goal is more than 5 lbs, for now, my goal is to lose 5 lbs. And I will reward myself with something non-food related... maybe a manicure or a CD.

Had some stress today at work and was definitely snacking more than usual, but I stayed on clean foods and didn't go off my diet plan for today. Was disappointed with my dinner and really wanted to throw it in the trash and have something else (probably junk food) but I am back at the computer typing this instead.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #311  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Mundane eating, CREDIT moi, just the way I like it. Had a whiff of a desire to dig into DW's jar of nuts, but kept moving.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. Was doing my lunges and saw that I was about to collide with a newbie following his personal trainer lunging perpendicular to my path. Wouldn't have thought anything about it, since obviously I could alter to avoid hitting, but the trainer nearly had a heart attack. Made it a notable incident. He acted like a lawsuit was about to happen.

onebyone - Good grief, it's really happening!!! LOL at the thought of your final drive being on April Fools day. I sometimes feel embarrassed by the volume of stuff going out my door - as if the neighbors have their volumemeter trained on my curb.

CeeJay - Kudos for "eating reasonably well and on plan" - I love being reminded that reasonably well is worthy of credit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Cheering you on as you face 135 minutes of your exercise goal for the last two days of March.

Shepherdess - I also need that reminder, "I need to learn to live with good enough." Kudos for keeping up with your exercise despite the "wonky sleep schedule." With our first born, my DW was jogging right up to her 9th month, with doctor's approval, which freaked out some onlookers, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - We all seem to be facing the old Food does not fix stress. Kudos for seeing it and moving forward.

ChefJoona - Kudos for consciously experimenting with your snacks; interesting that the Greek yogurt prevents hunger longer.

RunningFree - You're brave to practice resistance with the tempting foods in sight - not sure that I could stand seeing a jar of chocolates all day. Kudos for working out your way to strengthen your resistance muscle; staying your course will get easier as it gets stronger.

tarte - Yep, neat to have a realistic goal. Glad to read that you're considering a CD as a reward, since I was recently made to feel like an old fashioned idiot when I bought some cool CDs at a yard sale from a guy who said, "No one uses those old things any more."

Beck - Terrific news that you'll have a RL Diet Coach. Even then, drop by from time to time to let us know how that's working out. I loved The End of Overeating by Kessler.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 1
Gather your supplies
You will need a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following:
. . .
  • A Digital Scale. Preferably choose one that weighs to the half pound, so you can weigh yourself daily and keep track of your progress.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 33.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #312  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Frustration!

Mid weekly weigh-in shows I'm up almost a pound since Sunday. I feel stuck and stalled. I did pretty good at the pot luck last night.

Its been a bad week at work, and DFiance and I got into a fight last night. Well it was more like me taking my stress out on him.

Haven't had time to walk since Monday. Maybe tonight.

Credit for checking in when I felt really resistant.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #313  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was pretty good, all in all. I stayed within my calories, exercised and logged my food. It was a travel day and I was hungrier than usual. I have noticed this pattern since I started tracking things more closely. I had an unplanned snack, took a nap and noted that I will plan an extra snack on my travel days. We got our garden rototilled and will haul the tiller back to our other place tomorrow. It's a good exercise machine.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for mundane eating-I agree it's pretty nice. That's a big task, too, moving by the tree nuts

ChefJoona, nice work figuring out that you need more protein in the afternoon. Sorry about the stress...I understand it's a catalyst for water retention.

gardenerjoy, wow, yet another thing to remember that eating does not fix-"writing anxiety".

Beck , good list of books you have there. I, too, liked reading Kessler's book. I think there are lots of folks who put exercise equipment near the tv. Great planning for food and exercise AND a RL diet coach.

tarte, I've had my vitamix since Sept. and it's the best investment I've made in years. *credit* for using Dr. Beck's suggestion and setting a 5 pound goal.

Shepherdess, wow, a lot on your plate right now. Letting go of absolute perfectionism is certainly a large task with rewards of it's own. Best wishes as you try to settle into a routine-which isn't very routine.

RunningFree, great that you are using your experience of overeating to train your resistance muscle a little harder. Great job on Day 17.

Beverlyjoy, yay for "yesterday went better".

CeeJay, 5 nice credits!

onebyone, "finally" getting your life back! Yay!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #314  
Green Tomatoes

Today is DH's birthday and what he wants more than anything is to handle some paperwork that's been bugging him! I want it a matter of record that I offered to take him to an art exhibit that he wanted to see! But, I'm being cheerful about helping with the paperwork. We'll probably go out to lunch. I don't know where so I can't plan ahead, but I'm sure I'll find something veggie-centric to eat.

WI: +0.6kgs, Exercise: +80* 1545/1600 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beck and tarte: I'm a big fan of Kessler's End of Overeating -- that book is what got me to go cold turkey on junk food, a great step one, and led me to Beck for all the other steps I needed.

Shepherdess: hugs! You are going through a challenging time. According to Marion Nestle, you can't get an accurate measurement of calories closer than the nearest 5 even in the lab. So, here's a suggestion: round every single food item to the nearest 10 calories and every snack or meal to the nearest 50. Besides curing your perfectionism, that will have the added bonus of making your math easier.

RunningFree: yay for training your resistance muscle!

Beverlyjoy: great to see you here and persistent!

CeeJay: waving back! Hope you have a good rest of the week, too.

onebyone: hope your junk van works well -- it was a good experience for me when I did that at the end of the last move. I was embarrassed, too, and then it turned out it was no big deal at all. The nice young people just took care of it and it was gone!

BillBlueEyes: LOL at causing a stir at the gym. Always need a little more excitement there.

ChefJoona: you know a pound is just normal variability. My weight is up 1.3 pounds today, but I know it will come right back off. It wouldn't even seem like a big deal if you weren't handling a lot of stress right now. Hugs! And, breathe!

Lexxiss: great catch to see that you need an extra planned snack on travel days.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #315  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Thursday. I am enjoying the sunny morning - our first in quite awhile. OP today with plans for Pilates this afternoon. Battling back from a parent call made to my principal - "I was putting to much pressure on her daughter" and she wanted her moved. Never mind the woman could have talked to me directly, never mind at the beginning of the year she had said the daughter had never been challenged, and forget that it is an advanced class where homework is the expectation. Thank God my Boss took care of it. I have 120 kids a day with one negative call and still my stomach goes in knots. How is that for perfectionism, Shepardess? I ache for the pain we put ourselves through for being no more than human. I can tell you, Shepardess to be easier on yourself but I can't let it go when it is me. Scarier still, DS woke up today freaked out about homework. I saw my perfectionism in him and it made me angry. I am sorry to say I took it out on him and had to later apologize. Some of this anxiety I know is biological and I do not want him to suffer with it as I have. Still, as I have mentioned before, there is a God and I am not it. I know we both can be "relieved of the bondage of self" and know peace. It is just not instantaneous and the trick is to NOT overeat while waiting for the miracle to happen.
Good News is I deliberately planned a teaching-free couple of days. I am going to sit on the couch, watch old movies, meditate and pray to forgive the rabid mom because the resentment will hurt me - not her.
ChefJoona: I hear the frustration of a stall. I have experienced it many a time. This will pass and there is no situation which overeating won't make worse.
Gardenerjoy: Happy paperwork. Good for you husband for knowing what he wants and good for you for giving it to him.
Beck: lol bike celery
Tarte: I am tempted by your vitamix. Does it retain the fiber in the foods it juices?
RunningFree: Beverleyjoy always mentions leaving a bite on her plate. I am glad she reminds me of it because it is such a powerful tool.
onebyone: congrats on getting your life back.
BBE: Does it not amaze you how people these days thrive off cheap drama every chance? The narrow escape of the lunging collision! Is there not enough real drama for everyone to be worried about in this life?
Lexxiss: What are you planting in your garden?

Last edited by maryann; 03-31-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Closed Thread