Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Im still working through a mountain of laundry today, but it gives me the chance to check in here. Yesterday was a good OP day. DH wanted to go out for a steak and I was happy to discover that the restaurant recently added a veggie burger. The weather was nice. I was tired, but got out for a walk with the dogs and was happy that I did. Now they need a bath, but you cant have it all.

CeeJay, great job on an OP day and for doing some planning so you can follow it with another OP day.

RubyJan, yay for a lecture that makes you proud! Nothing like a boost of confidence to give your diet the bump it needs. At least February was a learning experience, so its not a waste.

BillBE, yay for 7 boxes lighter! Great job turning away from Whole Foods and all the tempting samples. Its pretty cool to hear about someone successfully dealing with a sabotaging thought.

ChefJoona, kudos for getting back on plan and loving it! The quinoa dish sounds amazing. Thanks for the tip on the website.

Lexiss, ouch for being pulled in so many different directions and the effect it had on your eating. Great job recognizing the mistake and tracking your food anyways.

Gardenerjoy, crossing my fingers that your weather stays nice. In any event, I hope you get out and enjoy it while it lasts.

Pamatga, great job recognizing you dont need to be competitive about the weight loss. Slow and steady is more lasting. I think its helpful to see that scale jump up and down (thats true for most of us). It helps me to not freak out when I see it jump up or over celebrate when it drops. It just becomes information.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #17  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy rollercoaster

Hi Coaches

I cancelled a meetup with a friend a few days ago that was supposed to be for this morning because I could see I needed to focus on the packing. This friend called, twice, trying to re-schedule, offering to help, wondering what I was doing and how I was feeling. I just passively listened to her leaving me messages.
What was I doing?
I was in bed.
This morning I got up, talked to my sister on the phone, made plans to pack, then made my lunch/dinner so that I wouldn't have to stop later to eat it and instead I ate it all (way way overfull to a sore tummy) at 9:30am and then I was so overfull, embarrassed, defeated, and afraid, that I came back upstairs to bed and went to sleep.
I woke up about an hour ago.
Do I feel refreshed? Not really. Instead today I feel lost and stuck and like it is inevitable that I will end up as my friends ended up with their move. In order to break this spell I have to make some progress so I am going to get fully dressed to the shoes NOW, ready to work. I am pledging to do my two zones today:
#20 stuff along wall beside china cabinet 1/2 done
#21 stuff on/in china cabinet

I think I can also manage this one: #12 stuff from fishtank to wall

and could begin: #11 area between buffet and fishtank

*credit for completing 6/45 zones so far. *credit for not giving in to the feelings but fighting back and especially *credit for posting with honesty as I wasn't going to.

Sorry I am such a downer today.

update: managed to get 1/2 done with zone#20. I spent a lot of time making new boxes and getting the middle of the room organized again. Then I worked on the drawings for my final drawing group meetup tomorrow until after I am moved and it took hours. But I am all caught up so tomorrow I can continue with the zones and maybe it'll be done before I know it and before I head out the door to meet my group. I hadn't expected to do any zone work tomorrow so this would be a bonus.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-03-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #18  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Back after a long break. Sorry to be gone so long, but I needed it. I've had some new insights as I start some new things afresh and re-engage on others. Good to see some old and new faces around.

I'll get more into that tomorrow--have to get some sleep. Just got back from a business trip, quite stressful and my cell phone was stolen, which was way more painful than it probably should have been. I was forced to use my wits, and they are not what they used to be.

Anne
Old 03-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hello Everyone
Its 7.30 am on 3 March, and I am going to work to keep up my daily plan and my checking in. sadly, I had to move my anteater back to 196 -- the first three pounds I lost and kept off for two month, were back on in only a week....but I have a plan for today and tomorrow, and have written it down, I read my advantages card before sitting down to my delicious porridge, and think that if I can get it together to clean my kitchen over the weekend, that may help as well. onebyone -- I can entirely relate to the fatigue that sets in when too much has to get done. My tiny flat is a complete mess and has been for more weeks that I care to admit. And every day I promise myself to get it sorted out, since I KNOW it will feel great when its done...and...I ignore my commands, and just feel bad. But your moving will take place, and the place will get packed, and this dreadful time will just float away. Shepherdess I love reading your reports from the real America -- while I never did get to Wyoming, I now find myself imagining what its like to go for a walk with some dogs out west.
Best wishes to everyone for their day ahead, Your Urban Dreamer, RubyJan
Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I planned to eat mindfully at a potluck last night and to skip the desserts. Did the first, CREDIT moi, but got suckered by a mini cupcake from a local bakery, Ouch. I would have easily skipped a whole cupcake as obviously unnecessary, but the mini slipped in because it was on my list to try one of the new cupcakes that are the rage these days. For what it's worth, it tasted like . . . a cupcake. You know, like at birthdays in the fourth grade, LOL.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, including trying to lift dumbbells that I couldn't. I actually dropped them on my chest which wasn't so cool - could have caused damage. These were the same weights that I had lifted last week. I'm pleased that I'm reaching to do something that's just beyond me, but chagrined that I didn't act safely.

onebyone - Sending packing thoughts as you wrestle your tasks ahead. Kudos for "completing 6/45 zones" - your breaking this down into doable chunks is so clearly a good idea.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Yay for taking a need break; Super Yay for returning. Losing a cell phone is a bummer; hope you can find all the numbers you've stored on it. It's a joy to have you back.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You guys are certainly having a rough weather winter - you're gonna appreciate Spring this year.

Shepherdess - Ouch for doggie baths - I've never had a dog who liked those, although my kids liked theirs and it was a fun ending to the day. Yay that it's not a violation of state law to serve a veggie burger in Wyoming.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - That's a nice list of credits for a day you rate poorly - Kudos for them.

ChefJoona - Drooling over you quinoa dish - so many ingredients that I love. Kudos for another day on track.

Urban Dreamer (RubyJan) - Ouch for an anteater crawling in the wrong direction, but Kudos for just facing it and charging forward. Anteaters are known for meandering a bit, LOL.

pamatga - My Uber Admiration for, "I decided that my ego created more rifts than anything so I hung it out to dry and never retrieved it." That stage is just barely in my dreams.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 1
To start out, you will learn and practice nine Success Skills adapted from the most successful dieters I've counseled. You will master these skills - such as continually motivating yourself, weighting yourself daily, eating slowly, and overcoming hunger and cravings - before you transition to the Think Think Initial Eating Plan in Stage 2.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 25.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Another on plan day yesterday! My mid-week weigh-in showed a loss of 1lb. I somewhat question that accuracy, but am happy with the downward trend.

Credit for saying NO CHOICE to night time snacking despite a panicked thought "I have to eat now, I won't be eating breakfast for 12 more hours!". I reminded myself that I had eaten a healthy amount for dinner and that the hunger I was feeling was not an emergency.

Credit also for skipping the pot luck part of a social gathering to come home and eat my quinoa leftovers, and then joining the gathering after.

Planning a healthy dinner out at a sushi place with a friend tonight.

I am feeling an ache to get my body moving with exercise, but when it comes time to do something I just can't get myself to do it. I know that exercise will help me reach my goal in SO many ways.

onebyone Major credit for turning a rough day around! What a great reminder that it is never too late to shift gears and refocus on your goals.

Wishing you all a great day!

Last edited by ChefJoona; 03-03-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters - I have decided that it's I am making it a little too complicated for myself. I've been needing to concentrate on sodium, soft food, healthy, and not too spicy. My doctor told me to watch my salt - she didn't actually give me a number to aim for. I found that number on the interneet - 1500 mg if you have high blood pressure. My blood pressure is borderline: 130/83. Normally, a person should not eat more than 2300 mgs salt a day. I've decided to aim for about 2000 mgs a salt a day. I think it will be easier to live with for now.

I got on the scale today and it was the same. I am grateful. I have not been using the beck techniques that I know will help me. Today - I woke up with the willingness to do so.

Last week my sister had back surgery - five fusions and 10 steel rods. I was with her last year at this time when she had her first back surgery. She is having complications - many. I have been very worried about her. I may need to go help her again. Will I ever fix my ankle/foot? I need to decide. Please send prayers or positive thoughts to my sister. She is faced with a long, long recooperation.

For today - I plan to journal, read my cards, plan/measure/log my food, lots of water and exercise.

Have your best day, friends.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-03-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

I seem to have found the ticket to losing weight after it went missing for a couple of months. Persistence pays!

WI: -0.05kg (new low), Exercise: +50* 105/1600 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for tasting the cupcake! I've been curious about this new trend as well. Should I encounter one I will remember your assessment that it tastes like a cupcake. LOL.

ChefJoona: yay for another on plan day! Any ideas for how to answer your call for getting your body moving? Do you need to think about what would be a better time in your day? Or a different form of exercise to plan?

Beverlyjoy: hugs for you and your sister (but very, very gentle ones for her!). Yay for waking up to willingness. Low sodium gets easier and a gradual approach really works! You lose your taste for salty foods if you gradually move toward less and less.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #24  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up rollercoaster upswing

Hello Coaches

My apologies coaches that my posts are more about me moving and packing than specifically about my food and Beck. Sorry if this is off-topic.

I was awakened by the phone at 9am this morning. My very together friend M called to say she had boxes ready to return to me from my friend's move. I was thrilled to hear that and very surprised. They only finished moving yesterday I heard - 2 days past the due date. They had a monstrous move.*shudder* Anyway she offered me her help and I heard myself say "next week" so apparently I am willing to allow others to help me before this becomes a crisis-a shift in attitude for this perfectionist. I think I will get my helpers to help me create the junk piles I will get the junk people to haul away. I think if I organize my junk piles they will be in and out that much faster. I may ask her to be here with me for moral support on the day of the event if it is a day DH cannot be here. I feel a modicum of embarrassment at picturing the Junkers driving up in some big truck and all the neighbours seeing them toss my crap into it for an hour or so. I already lived this nightmare when we had to do that before we moved here because of an apartment fire. Two guys just cleared out our apartment by throwing our stuff out the front window into a dumpster. Wow. VERY humiliating that was but I got over it and it got done. You'd think I would not need another de-junking so soon? 7 yrs. Wow. Right now that makes me feel bad again. Rollercoaster emotions. Nevermind. It takes what it takes. A Big Beck OH WELL to all of it.

I'll have to warn DH this is happening soon. This may be his last weekend to decide on what stays and goes of his stuff, though he is doing a fantastic job of that.

Progress&plans for the day:
#20 stuff along wall beside china cabinet DONE
#21 stuff on/in china cabinet DONE
#2 entry space DONE
-move cabinet into corner
-set up a holding area for boxes in its place=storage/studio/donate/keep areas
-move coffee table&futon from where it is too
-get magazine boxes to the curb
-get garbage to the curb DONE
-clean out the fridge today for the garbage pickup DONE

Opening up the space will allow me to complete the living room which means:#12 stuff from fishtank to wall & #11 area between buffet and fishtank which leads into space#2 diningroom.

9/45 zones so far. *credit for moving forward *credit for posting *credit for OP breakfast & lunch

Beverlyjoy I will keep your sister in my thoughts. I completely see your dilemma re: your foot surgery/your sister's recovery. For me I would sit very quietly to listen to what my heart says is the right thing to do. You could say a little prayer before you go to bed and ask to have the answer in the morning. This has always worked for me. I let my subconscious work on it. Kudos for getting on track with the food and for not allowing Life to derail you. You're awesome. Carry on.

ChefJoona I had to laugh at this
Quote:
My mid-week weigh-in showed a loss of 1lb. I somewhat question that accuracy, but am happy with the downward trend.
I too question the wisdom of my scale. Good to be skeptical yet accept the information. Nice that it said -1 on it. Exercise-wise I would probably take a piece of paper, set a time limit like 10 min (15 if you are a writer and used to writing) and force myself to write about why I have a block about exercising. For this kind of writing, you do not allow yourself to take a break during the 10minutes. Your pen must be to the paper and moving all the time just writing out your thoughts as you get them, no censoring, just write what is at the top of your brain and let it out through your pen/pencil. You stay on the page and write continuously by hand (important it be by hand) with one topic going to the next going to a bunch of "I don't know why i am doing this it's stupid" sentences if necessary. This stream of consciousness writing will often reveal to you your actual block about the topic at hand. It is very powerful. Only do this if you are serious about removing the block cause once you get the answer you will have to act on it. You may need to do it a few times to get to the root cause but I assure you it becomes fun, but it can be painful too. depends on our own issues and what has brought us to this point in time. Excellent Beck progress btw-kudos.

BillBlueEyes
I don't get the cupcake craze. I don't really like the icing so maybe that's the thing with me, though the cakes can be very pretty. (see here The cupcakes look good but are way too sweet for me (a rare criticism from me.) Kudos on pushing yourself at the gym. Recklessly, well that's not so good, but the desire to do more is awesome. You'll find the balance you need. Credit on being OP almost all of the time and for posting here. [ps. these are hickory sticks]

RubyJan Thank you for telling me
Quote:
But your moving will take place, and the place will get packed, and this dreadful time will just float away.
I so need to hear that. Don't worry about the anteater. He may have drank from a waterhole and the 3lbs is just that: water. It will be gone again if you stay OP and don't panic which I sense you know... kudos for being honest with your ticker.

AnneWonders back! So glad to see your post. I look forward to reading what you've been up to and where you are at. Yay!

Sorry I can't do more personals coaches... time to get back at it.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-03-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Sorry - no time for personals but just wanted to check in. Still on track food-wise but not getting the exercise time that I need. My plan is to do that tonight. I'm hoping that by posting here, I'll actually follow through!

Jan
Old 03-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Credit for doing weights yesterday while waiting for laundry. I didn't get out for the walk that I had hoped to do. I was just too tired to motivate myself to get out in the wind. It's definitely time for a nap! I succomed to that "food fixes tired" yesterday and started munching chips I didn't need. I pulled it together quickly and am thankful for that. I just read a study that found those who were sleep deprived tended to have a higher BMI, so sleep is a priority for today.

OnebyOne, ouch for feeling overhwelmed by the move, but enlisting the help of friends is a great strategy! It seems overwhelming to get it all done, but you have a good plan--does that sound like Beck or what?

AnneWonders, great to see you back here! It's great that the much needed hiatus brought some new insights. Sorry about the cell phone loss and hope the pain has passed.

RubyJan, great job making a plan after a dissappointing weigh-in. That's the smart response (some of us wind up back on the couch with a bag of cookies). I need to follow your lead and get the kitchen cleaned and organized. It definitely does help!

BillBE, LOL that mini cupcakes taste just like regular cupcakes. I hope the mini limited damage. I would be tempted to keep coming back, because, you know, they're small and don't count. Yikes for the incident with heavier weights. Glad you weren't injured.

Beverlyjoy, hugs for everything you are facing right now and sending healing thoughts to your sister. Your plan for sodium sounds like a sensible comprimise and one you can stick with.

Gardenerjoy, yay for "Persistance Pays!" It's a great reminder to all of us to just keep plugging away even when it seems like we're not getting anywhere.

jmaf, kudos for "still on track!" Here's to posting to keep that willpower strong!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #27  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

BBE, I have a Master Chef certificate for these kinds of confections. When I was in college I took cake decorating classes as a "destresser". I thought about going into this as a catering business but decided against it. I find it interesing how so many of these chefs are trying to reinvent the wheel. Like someone else said, all this is just another cupcake; albeit with a new marketing spin. [There are secrets they do that we don't at home. Read: major overload of sugar and fat, not the healthy kind either. That's why they taste differently.] Sidenote: my chef "teacher" had us fledgings use Crisco instead of frosting in our pastry bags so we wouldn't be tempted to nibble during class. I kid you not!

So, I opted out of "jumping on the bandwagon" a few years ago. Now, if I buy something it is because I figure that I might like the taste of it. If it has any kind of sugar or fat in it, of course I do! Duh! I play this game with myself on every new thing I see when I go shopping. It is one reason why I send my DH alone many times to do our shopping. I have the stores we go to memorized. I know them better than the clerks. In fact, once I argued with a stocker that concentrated lemon juice should be in the baking aisle and instead was in the juice aisle?? Really? I'm digressing here. Sorry.

Again, the magic two ingredients, overload of sugar and trans fat, are pretty much a new spin on an old favorite! They just dress it up for today's "buyers". It's also another way of charging $2.00 for something when people balk at $15 for a whole cake. We're in a recession, right? (I could make a fortune in marketing) It is all an advertising account executive's dream plan. As long as we play "snobs" and follow the latest "trends" we easily fall victim to these very clever marketing ploys. Having said that, I still love super sweet cupcakes. Hey, I ain't perfect but parts of me are excellent!

Speaking of sweets, my DH bought some flavored coffee creamers during the past holidays and I decided to try one today. Wow! The pumplin pie spice taste mighty good with instant coffee and 8 oz skim milk on ice! This might soon become an indulgence I practice frequently. At 17 calories per tsp I can get behind this.

Bevelryjoy, I laid my fingers on my monitor and prayed over your sis. I firmly and resonsantly believe our prayers are heard and answered! Hey, I live in the middle of the Bible belt and it's not as bad as ya'all might think. I have discovered a lot of good people living their faith.

Onebyone, your experience is quickly making me want to never ever leave this apartment, ever! Like I said to my DH, it makes me seriously think about bringing one extra thing in our home. We better need it, whatever it might be!

Credit moi:

Last night I attended the first of four seminars on Diabetes. I discovered last year that my blood glucose was in the diabetic range. I brought it down from 174 mg/dl (diabetic is considered 126 mg/dl fasting) to 104 mg/dl by losing the first 30 lbs, keeping them off and doing what I can for activity. If it is okay with you all, I would like to share what I have learned beyong the basics, since I am assuming you know as much.

There are 3 types of carbohydrates: 1)sugar 2)starch and 3)fiber. The first two raise your blood glucose and the third lowers it. NOW, I finally understand the connection with blood glucose and fiber. I try to average 35-45 grams of fiber a day. Although my initial reason was because I had heard fiber lowers cholesterol (which it does) and it fills you up. Now, I have discovered another added benefit.

Right now, if you read labels (I do!) on food products, starch is not required by law so the FDA omits it but it is still there. NOW, I understand why diabetics need to watch foods like gravies because most are made with cornstarch, as an thickening agent.

I am a nutrition nerd. I like to know the chemistry behind the food I eat even if I eat way off the charts sometimes.

This woman, both an nutritionist and home economist(which she freely admits rarely exists any more), asked us what we wanted to learn in the next three sessions. I want to know why I get so ravenously hungry. I am having a heck of a time trying to stay under 2600 calories a day. I am never going to lose weight until I tame this beast.

Anyone have any ideas they think might work? I am willing to try anything. I am already drinking an average of 80 oz of plain purified water each day. I usually have a protein with each meal, as recommended. I eat lots of fibrous fruits and vegetables. I am nursing a really inflamed calf muscle but I will concede exercising does help but I need to do at least 30-40 minutes to subdue my hunger monster. That helps for about 4-5 hours. As you all know, I stay up until 2:30 am(yes, I am back to doing that). I can't sleep any time before that. I think it is my evening class that ends at 10 pm. Tonight is the last night for class but I still need to study for the finals which could go on for another month or two. I have to take a practicum 3x and pass with 90% each time before allowing to sit for the certification from Microsoft. A lot of hoops to jump through for something I have a half-heart invested in.

Have a great day!

Last edited by pamatga; 03-03-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #28  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It has been very busy! I am taking a few moments to breathe and check in.

Beverlyjoy, sending supportive thoughts to both you and your sister.

I have been using my Beck tools during this busy time....two birthdays, sis still here, Whole Foods, Costco, NBA game last night, dinners out....friend still having such a rough go.
*credits*
~logging my food and making reasonable choices
~making exercise a priority
We went to dinner before the Denver Nuggets game last night...at a sports bar (not my choice). I ordered salmon and when it came the serving was huge!!!! We were with a group of people. I remembered that I could take half of my dinner home (thanks ya'll!). I did, and we'll have leftovers for dinner tonight.

Take care everyone!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #29  

Coaches/Buddies Also not as much time as I'd like tonight. Phone has been replaced and I've been updating passwords and such. It is taking longer than I'd like. So I probably won't get as far as I'd planned, and personals will have to wait a couple days, but it is really good to be here with you all again.

I'll attempt to keep the personal drama (all quite mundane except perhaps to me) to a minimum and stick to the Beck stuff as it pertains to weight loss. I've overcome significant personal challenges at work and home in the last few months, am figuring out how to deal with physical issues in the form of migraines and knee problems, and am ready to prioritize weight issues again. My children (almost 3 and 5+) continue to mature and as they improve at the routine things like dressing themselves and independent play, I begin to once again have the physical and emotional resources to stay up later that 6:30 pm.

I've been doing the weight loss/maintenance thing for 8+ years now, with Beck techniques for two of those. That's a long time, and things change. It had been a while since I went back to basics and thought about what I really wanted from this. What trade offs am I willing to make in my life? What will really bring me closer to being fulfilled, content, and happy?

My ARC wasn't working for me anymore. I let it get stale. It had things on it that just weren't relevant any more, like "become a faster runner" when my knees really weren't letting me run effectively (I've been in denial about that for a couple years) and "play with the dog" when the dog has passed on a while back. Lots of stuff on it was, and is, still relevant, but there was enough of my emotional baggage on there, and unfulfilled or historic hopes and dreams. Frankly, reading it was depressing. So I stopped reading. I had enough good habits to get me through, but I quit working it.

Life changes. What works for weight management also can, and often does. This is a secret of long term weight loss maintenance. One I keep learning over and over.

I lost over 100 lbs and kept it off for 8 years, and I might have some tough spots now and then, but going back is not an option. NOT. I live the Beck "no choice" thing every day.

So.

I put some time and thought and emotion into what it is that I want. What is going to make me happy? What makes me feel good? And what conveniences and habits am I willing to change to get there? What am I not willing to do? Compromise is acceptable, and necessary. So I have a new list, which is effectively a new ARC, in my notebook.

The next step for me is to turn that into a plan of action. Break the big steps into small ones, and put CBT techniques in place to get it done. Build the new habits I need, reinforce the good ones I have, and make some changes to the unhelpful ones.

This is a good place for that. I'll be trying to work some of this out over the next bit.

Anne
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was bitter cold when I took my walk (CREDIT moi) but, with warm clothes, I still returned wet from my efforts.

Eating was OP, CREDIT moi, if I adopt the Weight Watchers notion that fruit and healthy veggies have zero points. In real calories, I had double my fruit allocation for my evening snack because I had my orange, then joined DW in attacking some fruit that she had cut up for a meeting. I still need to work on keeping my evening snack from growing.

onebyone - Kudos for struggling forth, with Extra Kudos for getting the attitude in line with "A Big Beck OH WELL to all of it."

Anne (AnneWonders) - Thanks for the thoughts about updating our ARC. Mine, too, is dated. I'm not much motivated by the vision of what I'll be when I lose weight since I'm there. It does help to remember what my painful feelings are when I feel like I'm too big. Methinks it's time for me to make another go at mine.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "Persistence pays!" I find that easy to forget.

Shepherdess - Ouch for "food fixes tired" - I'm right this moment fighting food fixes a pending deadline.

Beverlyjoy - Sending supportive thoughts to you and your sister as she faces complications from surgery. keeping the faith that you'll find a slot for yourself in your life to address your ankle/foot.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Neat to convert a trip to a sports bar into a healthy eating experience.

ChefJoona - Good move there to join the gathering after the potluck; Kudos for flexibility.

pamatga - LOL at Crisco in the pastry bags. Kudos for moving forth with your seminars on diabetes.

Jan (jmaf) - Yep, being on-track with your eating plan will leak a little motivation over into your exercise plan.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 1
Many dieters don't want to wait to start a diet because they want to start losing weight this very moment. I will give you a few minor ways to change your eating at the beginning of Stage 1. But I have found - over and over again - that it is just too overwhelming to stick to a comprehensive eating plan while still learning such essential skills as eating everything slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite. Sure, you can lose excess weight without learning these skills. You have undoubtedly done so in the past. But you haven't been able to keep it off.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 25.
Closed Thread