Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi All,

Haven't had time to reply lately, but I've been reading all the posts to help keep me on-track.

Down 2 lbs for weigh-in this morning. Yay! Still doing well with eating but need to work on being consistent with exercise. I went all-out on Sunday and have been sore since - I have to remember 'moderation' even when it comes to exercise.

I haven't been reading the book lately and I want to get back to that. It seems to help me to remember the principles and not get complacent. Tomorrow is dinner out with friends - we don't know where we're going yet, but I'm hoping it's someplace with an online menu so that I can plan ahead.

Jan
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Coaches - yesterday was on plan until the evening. I am feeling stressed about many things.. many decisions to make.

It's been one year since I had to stop working because of my ankle/foot problem. Three times I planned my surgery and three times it was cancelled for legitimate reasons. I am feeling down... it should be all over by now. I should be healed. Not fair... Oh well.

I am still not performing and am turning down jobs. I've been doing very little walking this year. My foot/ankle doesn't hurt as much as last year. I think it's because I am not doing much. Every month I get it padded and a soft cast - all this along with my ankle brace. This is how I've managed. I'll discuss with my sister if she needs me to come and help her after her big surgery. Yes, alot to think about.

Today has gone well with my food. I am going to read my arc/rc to try and get my through the evening.

Credits for yesterday (Monday)
planned/measured/ logged - until bedtime
read arc/ar
exercises
slowed down my food
ate seated only
a few twirls when I didn't lick the spoon while cooking

Hope all is well with you. As always, I appreicate you all.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #78  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I was thinking today might slow down, but there was a shout out for some items for our friend in ICU and I spent a good part of the day from start to send off. We're going to travel to our other house for a few days. It will be nice to have a break.
Credits:
~food planned and OP
~didn't want to exercise; used Dr. Beck's 10 minute NO CHOICE
~tracked my food

I'm finding myself amazingly strong right now when encountering food I need to say NO CHOICE to. I know it's part the result of my persisting, but I am always cautious knowing that "stuff" pops up when I least expect it.

Good evening everyone!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 305/284/160

Height: 5' 8 1/2"

Default Tailspin

Hello everyone. I have been absent from here for about 4 months now. I had gotten off to a decent start and then the holidays hit, I kept telling myself I would get back on track tomorrow and we all know that tomorrow never comes.

Anyway, I have been reading, "Overcoming Overeating" which is a book that talks about intuitive eating (eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full). The basic premise is that diets don't work and any kind of food limiting activity is only going to make a person go into rebellion and eat more. The problem is that if I knew how to eat when I was hungry and stop when I was full, I wouldn't even be considering a new way of life when it comes to eating/dieting, etc.

I am smart enough to know that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I'm sure that intuitive eating has worked wonders for lots of people, and I wish I was one of those people, but I know that I use it as an excuse to eat everything in sight and I don't see that the urge to do so would wear off eventually.

The main draw for me is that intuitive eating promises that it will stop the food obsessions. I want to be in control of food, I don't want to be controlled by food anymore. So, I'm wondering, for those of you who have been doing Beck for a while, have you found that it stops your obsessive thoughts about food? Do you feel like you're more in control of your nutrition/diet?

I don't know if this makes sense, but I don't want to switch a food obsession for a diet obsession. I don't want to spend so much mental energy thinking about what I'm eating.

If you made it to the end of this post, congratulations. I look forward to your insight and wisdom.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Ash Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a day of on-plan eating from my kitchen; CREDIT moi for the simple, the obvious, and the necessary. I did have an urge for some nuts for a second afternoon snack, but it NO CHOICE'd away nicely.

onebyone - Absolutely Kudos for "for a positive attitude and staying calm" - you're picking up steam.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Yay for Lundi Gras pancakes - especially the good kind. Monster Congrats for the best day of your career - may there be many more of it's ilk. [Tks: CREDIT moi for the events that I mastered.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) - What a nice place to be - planning a new restaurant with assurance.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for the sad one year anniversary. I hope this current schedule for your foot/ankle surgery remains in place.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Inspiring statement, "amazingly strong right now when encountering food I need to say NO CHOICE to."

maryann - Yay for "not celebrating with food" - it's startling to be reminded how often our culture does just that.

MinniePaul - My attempts at Intuitive Eating were the same as yours - my intuition seems to be broken there, or worse, replace by an intuition to eat everything in sight. I don't know if "obsessive thoughts about food" have stopped, but rather they now just pass quickly since I don't entertain or encourage them.

ChefJoona - Digging out a car works a whole body's worth of muscles - good stuff.

pamatga - Sending positive vibes through the ether since you're on your "Day of Reflection" and are Internet free.

Jan (jmaf) - Yep, " 'moderation' even when it comes to exercise."

Sharon (jicarilla) - Kudos for exercise by walking a dog - there is no better exercise IMO. <sigh> . . . when it came time for me to give myself credit in my first post on this forum, I just couldn't do it, so "CREDIT moi" was what my fingers typed as the best that I could do. A rather un-mystical origin of the phrase.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 1
You will always be faced with tempting foods that you have to limit. Wouldn't it be wonderful to find it easy to resist? If so, you have to learn and practice the Success Skills over and over again. These skills are so important that you will not only use them during Stage 1, but also you will continue to practice and brush up on them in every subsequent stage - and to use some of them for the rest of your life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 26.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-10-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Another on plan day yesterday. I have been very overwhelmed during the work week, and with wedding planning and feeling a bit down. I am someone who tends to not over eat when I am having a hard time. I let my eating go when I'm happy and feeling carefree. These last couple nights I haven't even been able to finish my dinner.

MinniePaul The greatest thing that the Beck program has done for me is interupt some obsessive thoughts about food. One big example is "hunger is not an emergency". With this new way of thinking, if I notice I am feeling hungry but it is not near a meal or snack time or at a time when I have already eaten, I can feel confident to stop eating or not eat because I know nothing bad will happen to me if I don't eat, and I know I have another planned eating time within a couple hours. Beck has given me clear ways to talk to and back to my damaging thoughts about food. I am able to have brief conversations with myself, and then get back to the rest of life.

onebyone Keep up the great work with packing!!!

Happy Wednesday all!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #82  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Default Intuitive Eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinniePaul View Post
... I have been reading, "Overcoming Overeating" which is a book that talks about intuitive eating (eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full)...

... The problem is that if I knew how to eat when I was hungry and stop when I was full, I wouldn't even be considering a new way of life when it comes to eating/dieting, etc.

.... I want to be in control of food, I don't want to be controlled by food anymore.

.... I don't want to spend so much mental energy thinking about what I'm eating...
Mini, you've found your motivating responses here! Work with them!

I felt the same as Bill and probably everyone who has ever tried "intuitive eating": "my intuition seems to be broken, or worse, replaced by an intuition to eat everything in sight. (After reading Beck) I don't know if "obsessive thoughts about food" have stopped, but rather they now just pass quickly since I don't entertain or encourage them."

Following The Beck Solution has indeed changed my thinking. Using the tools learned from Dr. Beck has enabled me to control eating in a way I never have. THIS is intuitive eating - with the full knowledge that calories in/out count - I am in control of food - FINALLY.

Here's what I've done to motivate myself:

YOU CAN DO IT MINI!!!

Last edited by Gwen; 03-09-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #83  
    persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Wednesday & the week is 1/2 over!!!

Coaches

Quick check-in. I am off to lunch with a friend and will come back to face the music and get packing. I wanted to pack this morning but another friend called. Everyone is checking in with me before I move away. It's very nice.

Bye for now.

Zones for the week: 16/45 DONE
    TODAY

#3 powder room - counter and cupboard

#22 stuff in main hallway
    #23 stuff on stairs

and I am UPSTAIRS!!!!
    #24 linen closet

#25 sm bedrm closet
    #26 sm bdrm floor
    #27 sm bdrm shelves
    #31 upstairs bathroom
    #33 both dressers
    #32 bedrm closet + bookcase
    #29 studio shelf wall
    #30 oppos wall in studio
    #28 studio closet

Last edited by onebyone; 03-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks, friends, coaches - I am here and posting. I got up today and ate too much for breakfast - but, so far, I’ve drawn that line in the sand. My plan is to forget about that part of the day and plan the rest of the day healthfully. I have written in my journal and intend to read the postings at the forum.

I am going to see the counselor I saw before when I had all the health stuff come up that ended with me having to cancel the surgeries. Every time I think of calling the surgeon, I start breathing heavy, feel very anxious and my stomach starts to hurt. I think I am feeling very very anxious about it. Like something is going to happen that will result in another delay. I need to talk to someone that help me figure it out. I just keeping thinking something will go wrong.

My sister sounds so much better. She sounds hopeful and even a bit cheerful - even being on major pain medicine. She has the help that she needs, so far - so, I will don't think I'll need to go to California. Thanks again for all your prayers and positive thoughts.

Gwen - I liked reading your list of things that you are doing. A mirror near the kitchen… that’s a brave thing to do. But, looks like it is very helpful. Carry on!

Chefjoona - so glad to hear about your on plan day. Good reminder, always, hunger is not an emergency.

Billbe - credit for saying and using No Choice as you faced the extra nuts! The excerpt for Dr. Beck’s book today is so, so true…’ You will always be faced with tempting foods that you have to limit. Wouldn't it be wonderful to find it easy to resist? If so, you have to learn and practice the Success Skills over and over again. It’s nice for you to be back home in your food comfort zone.

Minnie pearl - so nice to see you again. I have read Overcoming Overeating too. I have tried intuitive eating. I tried it for several weeks. I really think that part of me is broken. Yes, planning makes much better sense, for me. I think planning and writing down a food plan is a very freeing way to approach food. Once it is written down, it is decided - for me there aren’t the thoughts of what ‘will I eat next’ spinning around in my brain. It is helpful.

Lexxiss/Debbie - Major credit for the willingness to use the Beck tools and techniques to help you get through this hospital time. I know all this is hard - I am sorry you are going through it.

Jmaf - hooray for two pounds down! Yes, I like the restaurants with the online menu’s too. Glad you are going to read your Beck book… it helps me too, when I am willing to do so.

Maryann - credit for having a plan for Fat Tuesday. No last supper is commendable. I think it’s hard not to say ‘this is my chance to eat something I won’t have for a while.: Credit~!

Pamatga - your retreat with DH sounds so nice. I am glad that you are back where you were a week ago. However, it’s hard to remember that we can’t change the past only the future. You said> Pride and perfectionism are going to die if it's the last thing I do. We all work on that in some respect. Also, where is the surgery discussion here at 3fc?

Gardener/joy - glad the Thai restaurant has foods within your plan! I am always impressed that you read your arc/rc so consistently. - Credit!

Onebyone - I am so glad you will have help with your packing. Yes - staying calm during all this is a major credit!!!

Anne wonders - congrats on your most productive day at work. That’s wonderful. Yes, the planned indulgences are the very best!

Jicarilla - extra nice that the dog sitting included those extra walks! - credit. Credit also for staying on your plan. You don’t look like a couch potato to me!

Masondixonmama - sometimes it happens - we fall off of our plan. Just hop right back on your plan, forgive yourself and move forward.

Have a great day folks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-09-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #85  
    Green Tomatoes

I discovered a secret to eating smaller servings at restaurants -- order really spicy food! I went for "Medium" spicy at the Thai restaurant last night and I couldn't eat more than half of what I was served. Tasty, but good grief it was hot. And I get to have that small serving experience again for lunch! I didn't weigh myself this morning because I have a feeling there was a lot of salt lurking under all that hot pepper, so I'm going to give it a day or two to clear out.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +60* 370/1600 minutes for March, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

MinniePaul: I'm another one who believes my intuition around food is broken. My current theory is intuitive eating may work for people who have a small amount of weight to lose, but those of us who need to lose significant amounts of weight are going to need a different approach.
    My worst form of food obsession was cravings for junk food. Between Beck and David Kessler's The End of Overeating, I was able to stop the junk food cold turkey. I quit having cravings for most of it after a couple of weeks. The donut craving, for some reason, showed up off and on for months. But, with Beck techniques, I never gave in and I haven't had a craving for several months. Now I'm highly motivated to stay away from them because who wants to go through that a second time?
    As far as moving from food obsession to diet obsession, I have done a little of that, but in ways that are rewarding to me. I don't think Beck helped me do this directly, but kind of opened up the space for it. I decided to go with mostly natural foods and so I get to enjoy shopping at farmers markets, growing my own vegetables, and participating in a CSA and then working with all of those ingredients in my own kitchen. I have also made a hobby out of reading healthy cookbooks and diet and nutrition books.
    As for the rebellion aspect, I worried about that a lot, but I eventually realized that my inner rebel was more help than hindrance in this journey. What it takes to lose weight in our environment is to check out of the Modern American Diet (because it's crazy MAD) in some fairly significant ways and that is the kind of subversive project that my inner rebel likes. My inner rebel likes thumbing her nose at Hardee's billboards and pizza commercials because I make better and, often, faster food at home.
    I also can echo Beverlyjoy's experience: "I think planning and writing down a food plan is a very freeing way to approach food. Once it is written down, it is decided - for me there aren’t the thoughts of what ‘will I eat next’ spinning around in my brain. It is helpful."

Beverlyjoy: I think working with a counselor that helped you before is a very wise move. Hugs!
    Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #86  
    GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've just sat down to catch up on things. We travelled today and I'm back in the land of fast internet. I have started working on personals and it will probably take a day for me to catch up.
    Credits:
    ~ food OP
    ~used the Beck NO CHOICE and got on my bike for 11 minutes. I have a meeting at 6 and that's about all I could fit in but IT WORKS!

I didn't eat lunch and it wasn't an emergency. I have a veggie/bean stew simmering and a freshly made salad in the fridge. I'm glad to be back to my pool and will bounce around with my friends in the sunshine at water aerobics at 9am tomorrow. Temp 51 here...I may actually get to ride my bike to the pool for the first time in 2011. Yay!
    Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone:

Just reading through a few posts for the first time in awhile. I miss being here.

Utter lunacy= my life. I am finally admitting this needs to stop and am taking control. I delegated most of one of my jobs to another coworker this week. He will be overloaded for awhile but not nearly as badly as I have been and for not nearly as long. I just can't do it anymore.

The cost of all this has been a complete derailment of working on my health. I eat under stress and that is all I do these days- eat and work, work and eat. I am craving sugar often. I am eating too much salt, too much take out, too many snacks. I have not exercised since last week. I have not been posting here or reading cards. I have not been tracking food or weighing myself or making lunches or planning meals. I feel like crap. I am so tired. I know I am gaining weight.

I am off on holidays for the last 2 weeks of March and need to push like crazy so that I can take the time off and come back to one job. Just gotta hang on.

I am sorry I am so in need of support and so lousy at giving it these days. Just nothing left at the end of the day. Thank you for letting me rant.

to you all
    Old 03-10-2011, 03:15 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hello Everybody:
    Just read your post CeeJay, and its given me the kick to get back online and OP. These Eat and Work weeks have been my Private Horror this week. 9 hours a day at work, and over the weekend, a sense of a mountain about to collapse on my head, while in fact a mountain has been rising on my body!! My house is insanely messy, etc. But after tomorrow, amazingly, I will have the weekend more or less off....And that's when I am going to clean the place, and set myself up again for the Beck Experience. Do I hate myself for this lousy start to a better life? Well, I would if I weren't giving myself credit for turning Cee-Jay's rant into a reason to both commiserate and try to start again. I hope you can feel my support coming over cyber-space to you!
    Sinking in London, RubyJan
    Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #89  
    Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just another day on-plan with no external food; CREDIT moi. I even skipped my afternoon snack because dinner was early.

Did gym; CREDIT moi. I'm continuing to go slow with the dumbbells so that I don't scare myself away. De-cluttering had two minor setbacks from the boxes of Free stuff we've put out on our curb: 1) I picked up two small items and put them in my pocket, and 2) Someone added something of theirs to our stack, LOL.

onebyone - Yay for moving upstairs - making progress.

CeeJay - Congrats for taking care of yourself by shedding an impossible load at work.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I'll have to try you tip to "order really spicy food" -bet it'd work for me since I'm a wimp with the hot stuff.

Beverlyjoy - Such good news that you sister is feeling better and that a trip to California isn't going to set back your surgery schedule.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for enough Spring to get to ride your bike to the pool.

ChefJoona - Wedding planning can be overwhelming; sending supportive thoughts. And two notions: 1) It will end, and 2) Your wedding is the one occasion in your life where everyone in the room wants it to succeed and for you to look good.

Ruby (RubyJan) - Yep, Kudos indeed for letting a post here get into your brain and encourage you to mush forward.

Gwen - Monster Kudos for the courage to hang a full length mirror in your bathroom.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2
    Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
    Stage 2
    Once you master the Success Skills, you're ready to start the Think Think Initial Eating Plan. This is a nutritious diet that provides the basis for the Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan, which, as the name implies, you can use for life. You will stick with the plan because:

You will enjoy real food, not "diet" food. The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan includes an assortment of meal options that are rich in fiber, lean protein, and other important nutrients. These options also include real foods that real people like to eat - such as pizza, soups, steak, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, and more. These are foods you can feel good about feeding yourself and your family. It's simple food, too. You won't have to spend lost of time and energy learning new recipes or cooking techniques - unless you really want to. And it's convenient. I've even included healthful no-cook options.
    . . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 27.
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Surpise on the scale this morning for my mid-week weigh-in. I'm -4 lbs from my last time on the scale on Sunday. I know I have been eating on plan and as I shared yesterday not always eating my full dinner, but yesterday I felt that I ate a lot. Interesting... Sunday morning was after a party where I ate lots of salty food, so perhaps my weight showed as higher on Sunday that it really actually was. I'm noticing its really hard for me to accept when I have a weight loss. I guess I still don't believe I have the skills to actually do it.

No time for personals this morning... preparing for a snowy drive into work!

Thinking of you all as I have read your posts this morning!
    Closed Thread