Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - Happpy to say that yesterday was a healthy day. I am always grateful for that! I planned/logged/journaled, had lots of water, had no seconds & kept my sodium under 1500 mg. I had to take my mom to a doctor's appointment. I used that time to read my arc/rc. Some credits there.

I have been very 'sloppy' about licking the spoon and tasting when cooking. I think I'll keep track of it with a chart or such and write down if I lick the spoon or eat standing for my contact with eating & cooking.

I hope you are all having a good day.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone!!!

So excited to report that I ate healthy today. Funny how it makes you feel so much better in every way!!

Today I ate cereal and an orange for breakfast, salad and sandwich for lunch, apple for snack, and a bit of homemade pea soup, chicken and roast veggies for dinner. Snack will be yogurt and pumpkin.

I also did my weights. I went grocery shopping and bought many fruits and veggies. I have a plan for tomorrow.

Wishing everyone a happy Friday
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #168  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Thursday Summary

Coaches

I've got the window open and am enjoying a nice refreshing breeze. 46F here my computer tells me. I just pulled three large heavy bags of garbage out to the garbage bin while wearing just a t-shirt and jeans, Nice. My friend T was by again today and he took out two carloads of garbage again; approximately 14 bags went today = 42 in two weeks. We've been working hard.

I made some decisions about lots of paintings and "found" canvases. I slashed them and they went to the garbage pile. I said to my friend "I thought artists were supposed to slash their canvases in a rage? I just don't want anyone to take them." I find that thought creepy. It was fun to destroy them. I enjoyed it, unlike tossing all those paints yesterday. I'm still licking my wounds over that.

Two of the three bedrooms are done now, as well as one of the two bathrooms. The freezer is happily, easily, defrosting in the basement. I just took out a lot of freezer food to the garbage bin. That was tough. And I feel bad I didn't offer the food to Zahara two doors down By the time I thought of it the stuff was unthawed. Today I am wondering if I should take the three cheap wooden shelves instead of leaving them as planned. I may take them. I can get rid of them if I need to on the other end, but would be thrilled to have them if I need them. I think I'll take them. It'll give us 6 bookcases total.

Details.

DH comes home tomorrow night. We pack the truck Saturday afternoon, drive it to Toronto Saturday, unload it Sunday 9am. Leave the car here. Then we drive back to Ottawa on Sunday with the truck and then DH drives the car back to Toronto Sunday. Next Friday he drives a panel van from Toronto to Ottawa. We pack the panel van, take Caesar cat and the fish with us to Toronto on Saturday. I take the car back to Ottawa on my own and keep it for the week. Then I drive back mid-week or earlier, whenever I am done here: painting three walls, getting cleaners to spruce the place up (I have a coupon), getting our medical files from the dr. packing the car with whatever is left to pack up.

And then it's done.

Except for the unpacking

Foodwise I cooked the turkey from the freezer last night. I had dinner at 11:30pm. It was good. I weighed in this morning at 282. I should reach my goal of 280 or less by March 31st. I'll try for it anyway.

Time for bed. I have a really full and busy day tomorrow.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-17-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Cycles of all kinds.

Something about being on the Beck plan, planning and tracking my food, my weight, my exercise has me noticing cycles all over the place. The spiral that I envision as my weight loss, the way I feel every spring, the five-year anniversary my DP and I will celebrate next month (so little time, but this has been my longest relationship). My 33rd birthday next week. So much seems to be both beginning and ending right now, not just for me, but for my friends and loved ones, for the world (Japan, Egypt, Libya, etc.)

One cycle has been looming over me this week, it seems ridiculous, but I'm seeing that it has such a huge effect on my life. I've been feeling myself approaching the beginning of the monthly hormone festival. I have this mounting anxiety, which is rapidly becoming one of my major 'symptoms' (I don't like this word, but how else to describe them?). I'm trying to just face this feeling. I appreciate that I can see the cycle, because that means I can address it. But the anxiety has a freezing effect on my writing. ::sigh:: Always this battle. And, let's face it: I'm likely depressed and anxious and dread-ful because a chapter deadline I've set is marked on the infamous wall calendar for tomorrow, and I'm not even close to being done. ::sigh again::

I think I'm going to claim some work time for myself this weekend.

Yesterday involved some unplanned emotional eating. Very yummy at the time, but the rest of the night I had major cravings for more carbs, and I felt heavy and yucky. Noted the feeling in my journal.

No exercise today. I did treat myself to my ritual of Thai food lunch after a stressful round of bill-paying. Was very careful about measuring my food at dinner. Still enjoying this feeling of being able to get back on track. It's a great skill, when right now my emotions are all over the place.

Thanks for listening, friends. Sending positive vibes to all!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #170  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - This morning I will move some dozen boxes to a staging area near the door to be ready to go to the front porch for a Saturday pickup. CREDIT moi for continuing the saga.

I'm away from my speedy Internet connection for the weekend; will post again Monday. Looking forward to a whole web-free weekend.

onebyone - Lots of progress there in the home stretch. Keeping bookshelves just in case sounds smart. You've got a lot of back and forth to Toronto in your future.

CeeJay - What a stellar day - with homemade pea soup even!

Beverlyjoy - Keeping sodium under 1500 mg can be a challenge; Kudos. Wish I'd take the effort to track my sodium. I believe in the 1500 mg goal, but don't know what I get from processed foods.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Always admire a NO CHOICE.

MaryContrary - Interesting to note all the cycles of our lives. Can't wait to congratulate you for 5 years with your DP - even with teenagers around, LOL. Bill paying makes me crazy - I'll have to see if Thai food resolves that.

maryann - Yep, an "easy eating weekend" sounds good to me, too.

ChefJoona - Beginning is the hardest part for an exercise program; Kudos for starting.

pamatga - Gotta assume that a student who brings the teacher cookies at a class on diabetes is missing the point or doesn't need to be in that class, LOL.

Jan (jmaf) - Yay for walking - it's always there.

Sharon (jicarilla) - Glad you found us again. Even though it can feel discouraging when the weight drop slows, your body knows you're on plan; it'll keep track and post the results later.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 3

The truth of the matter is that highly processed foods and large restaurant portions are not going to disappear. Neither are fast-food joints, all-you-can-eat buffets, or cafeterias. To lose excess weight and keep it off, you will learn how to stay in control in any eating situation, including at restaurants, parties, and extended family dinners. You will learn how to stay in control when you are stressed, sick, busy, or traveling. these challenging situations simply require a set of dieting skills - skills that will build on what you will already have learned during Stage 1.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 29-30.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Yes- TGIF!

Still not sleeping great. Looking forward to the weekend- maybe not having the work week stress will help sleep. I remember last Friday night I slept from 7:30pm-7:30am after having a disrupted sleep week that week too.

I forgot my planned food in the fridge yesterday. Luckily I keep some healthy staples in my desk and work next to a health food store with a yummy salad bar (I try to limit going there for $ reasons). I cut down on my dinner portion to fit in a bit of ice cream. I was mindful to stickc to the serving size- a 1/2 a cup doesn't feel like enough ice cream as I measure it, but it satisfied my craving and I didn't feel guilty.

We are dog sitting for a couple days and the weather is feeling like spring. DFiance came out for a walk with me and the dog last night. I think we'll go for a longer one tonight.

MaryContrary I'm right there with you with the whole "cycle" thing... joys of being a woman.

Onebyone Keep up the great work and progress!

BillBE Enjoy the internet free weekend! Sounds great to me!

maryann Let me know if you have anymore questions about VT as you make your decision regarding Goddard!

Waving to everyone else!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #172  

Hi folks - another healthy day yesterday.. I am grateful. That's three...I am aiming for another today. I planned/logged/measured, no seconds, tried to eat more slowly, lots of water, shopped for healthy foods, ate low sodium, and left a bite at each meal.

This morning I've done my stretches & strengthening. It's March Madness. DH loves this and I have fun watching with him (although, not quite as enthused as him) I love hanging out with him. We are going out to lunch Saturday with family. We are going to the Chinese Restaurant with the steamed Hong Kong fish.

Ceejay - I agree that being on plan just makes everything seem better in different parts of our lives. Kudo’s for planning ahead at grocery and meals.

Onebyone - you are making such good progress in your packing - excellent. Kudo’s for cooking that turkey - such a good thing to have around to eat. Your weight goal sounds good.,

Mary contrary - yes, being observant of food plan cycles can spill into parts of our lives. Darn carbs - they can getcha. Making a note of it in your journal makes it more real.

Billbe - have a great weekend. Kudo’s on your continued decluttering. You would be utterly shocked to see how much sodium is in processed food. It’s very eye-opening.

I dearly appreciate all your folks for your time, input and support in this journey. I will try to get back to do more personals. Shout out to everyone.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #173  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

[Keeping sodium under 1500 mg can be a challenge; Kudos. Wish I'd take the effort to track my sodium. I believe in the 1500 mg goal, but don't know what I get from processed foods.]

This is the new standard that the instructor (from the diabetes class) also mentioned! I was floored to say the least. I feel fortunate when I stay below 3000 mg each day, which my Biggest Loser food plan allows. If I am understanding the last part of your comment, BBE, do you mean you don't know what the sodium is from processed foods? If that is what you meant then I would recommend reading labels. All frozen foods have a lot of sodium because it is a food preservative. As does any food prepared in restaurants.

When I go below 2000 mg of sodium per day, I get light-headed and my B/P drops down to 95/54. I average a 102/64 B/P. I think the reason why BL encourages a higher sodium is because part of that plan is a lot of exercise and, therefore, you are sweating most of it off. Bev, what would be an average food plan for you that you are able to get under 1500 mg sodium?

I haven't slept yet. I was awake all through the night. I was cold. I was hungry (having eaten the last food around 7 pm). And, my knees and front of my thigh muscles hurt in spite of pain meds. I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes the last two days.

You know, I guess I never thought that was odd he gave her those cookies because she had said her policy is "eat in moderation, including desserts". She does not believe in using sugar free products including diet sodas. Something which I do. (there was a recent study about a link between heart attacks and strokes and drinking diet sodas--I am still trying to figure out how and why?)

It is a myth that diabetics can't have sugar. It is all about carb counting and portioning those out throughout the day so you don't have any sudden spikes in blood sugar. Until I knew exactly how certain foods affected my blood glucose levels, I tested 7 times a day. I had a couple of really sore fingertips too. I feel really fortunate that I discovered this when it responded so easily to diet, losing weight and exercising. I also got a very comprehensive book on the disease. That was my primary reason for going to this 4 part series. I told her that I knew there are a lot of "fallacies" and I wanted to walk away with the facts so I could make informed decisions. As she stressed, it is healthy eating in moderation so, yes, cookies are a part of that. I like that because I think any kind of food plan that restricts or eliminates certain food groups is going to do more psychological damage than good. It's not about being at war with ourselves but learning to be at peace.

I followed the South Beach Diet, with the group that posts on 3FC, from 2008-2010. It is a really low carb food plan although I did adapt to it. I just felt I needed more variety. The food plan promoted for diabetes is mostly non-starchy vegetables, smaller portions of protein and starch along with milk and fruit. I also have the book for the Sonoma Diet which also uses the plate method that she discussed on Wednesday but I just get tired of eating so many vegetables. I average 2 cups a day. I feel that is doable for me.

I am tweaking my food plan all the time. It is definitely a work in progress. I do know that I eat much healthier than I did in 2007. I have slips but overall I do quite well. It is really about arming yourself with knowledge and then applying it, which to me seems very "Beck".
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #174  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Default I am so depressed...

The scale is stuck at 196... it simply won't budge! And to top that off, I had to go and take bikini photos of myself in front of that stupid full length mirror... front, back, side. Uuuuugh. How depressing, humiliating, mortifying.... I'm just not feeling Beckish right now. However;
  • NOT going to eat, this is good
  • Don't feel like working out.
  • Don't feel like counting calories.
  • Bought a new book on cognitive thinking for weight loss, but it's nowhere near as good as Beck. It did come with a hypnosis cd. Listened to that, not very motivating though.
  • Pulled out my old hypnosis program and that was a good thing.
Just want to vegetate and mourn my long lost skinny self.

Is there a crying river of tears smiley somewhere?

PLEASE motivate me!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #175  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I got up bright and early….to no power. I went back to bed. We had some heavy Spring snow. Yesterday was a good Beck day. I planned, logged , exercised and stayed within my calorie goal. I actually had a bit of an emotional fallout last night...too much happening. I actually cried for a bit and identified sadness that I was saying NO CHOICE to unplanned eating. I wanted to very badly. I didn't and like the book says, the feeling passed.

BillBlueEyes, major decluttering *credit*. Enjoy your web free weekend. You deserve it! Thanks, as always, for your dedication to our group!

jicarilla, sticking with your plan even when the scale isn't moving is a great Beck tool. *credit*

maryann, *credit* that you find yourself excited about an easy eating weekend . I feel that, too.

Jan(jmaf), *credit* for getting some exercise even when it isn't hard core. Dr Beck teaches us that consistency in exercise is important even if it's 10 minutes.

CeeJay,*credit* for a healthy day and recognition of how good it feels.

onebyone, *credit* for slashing old canvases as a way of letting go. You are on the home stretch!

MaryContrary, being mindful of your "cycles" in all facets of your life is a great strategy. *credit* Thanks for sending positive vibes!

ChefJoona, enjoy your dog sitting weekend! Great strategy having some emergency food on hand at work for days when you forget...or just don't have time. *credit*

Beverlyjoy, great *credits* yesterday...and exercise already this morning!

pamatga, *credit* for constantly striving to learn more about foods and about yourself as you are "arming yourself with knowledge and then applying it".

Gwen, reading from the Beck books has really helped put things into perspective for me when it comes to the point that I base the level of my self esteem on the scale. Dr. Beck gives some excellent pointers regarding positive steps you can take when the scale isn't moving. I don't have my book handy to quote specific pages. *credit* for listing steps you can take. Following SBD, I was resistant to counting calories but I've learned lots about "what" I eat since starting. I don’t plan on doing it forever, but at the moment it's really helping.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-18-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #176  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post TGIF & pushing through

Hi Coaches

26/35 zones completed as of 11:36am today *credit
weighed in: 283 *credit for weighing in
cooking from scratch *credit

I'm just taking a break. I emptied our dressers into garbage bags. Done. Check. Now I am wokring on packing up my side of the bedroom. Not as fast but fairly pleasant with the tv and the kitty keeping me company. My BIG JOB today is to get the bedroom done. Mostly this means to keep pushing forward with the stuff on my side (I'm 1/2 done). I found yet another box of magazines. Wow. I just have to count them before they go. And I am saving all the cooking magazines. Oh Well. Cooking and Variety and Rolling Stone. Funny. I'm just letting myself do what feels right. Obviously I am ready to get back to an "us" and a daily routine and all that. DH is eager to have this all overwith and this time tomorrow we'll be driving the truck here to load it up. OMG that will be fantastic. I will be THRILLED to see the majority of all our stuff get on that darn truck.

Besides the bedroom, which is my main focus, I have to go back around the place and pack/finish packing some areas. I'm a little concerned about some of the spots I've left undone and I'm overly concerned with making sure there are clear unobstructed pathways for the movers o move stuff out of here. This means I have to tackle another area, the downstairs landing. I'm not planning on packing or sorting it but I do have to move it out of the way.

Wow. Many more hours of work. I'd better go finish something.

bye for now coaches. tgif.

update:1:29pm finished my side of the bedroom CREDIT

update: 5:30pm
-cleaning under the bed DONE
-cleaning DH's bedside area DONE
-clearing off small bookcase *later if at all*
-clean out linen closet DONE

DECIDING TO.... leave the bedroom closet for now so I can:

-finish small shelves in dining area
-stuff on top of glass desk
-move stuff off of downstairs landing
-wipe down freezer
-wipe up/gather up wet stuff on floor around freezer
-make a path for removal of the freezer from the basement
-clear entry way and hallway one more time (this is endless!!!! )
-box up electronics &/or ready boxes for electronics
-clear off kitchen counters
-box up crockpot/microwave inner plate/ring thingy
-separate DONATION boxes from what's going
-put all important papers in one place/box/bag

Last edited by onebyone; 03-18-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Fighting the "food fixes tired" sabotaging thought. I lost one battle (I did give into a cookie), but am winning the war. My new job is finally taking off, which is good, but I am trying to adjust to the schedule. I'm teaching about 3 hours in the middle of the night a few days a week and just haven't gotten my sleep schedule adjusted to it yet. It's just like everything else in life; I need to come up with a good plan.

I was tired yesterday and it was windy, but the dogs desperately needed some exercise. I talked myself into taking them for a walk/run. I'm glad I did and I was able to get to bed early. No teaching last night, so I feel better.

Onebyone, yay for moving day! It looks like your plan to get stuff packed is working for you. Having it finally done will bring a huge relief.

Lexxiss, yikes for a spring storm that brings a power outage. We were supposed to get one, but am thankful it didn't happen. . .yet. Great job staying in your calorie range, but hugs for feeling emotionally overwhelmed. You've had a lot going on! Hope you get some time to recharge.

Gwen, ouch for the bikini photos that put you in a very un-Beck mood, but great job showing up here and posting anyways! No better way to combat the lack of motivation than to "just do it."

Pamatga, yay for eating healthier now than 2007! It's great to take those steps to success. I think continually tweaking your food plan can be a good thing. There are lots of good diets out there, but each one of us is unique so it's worth experimenting and finding what works for you.

Beverlyjoy, kudos on a healthy day! I'm so impressed that you continue to monitor your sodium so closely. Great job thinking ahead and planning for a healthy meal out with your family.

Chefjoona, yay for dogs who get you out for a walk. Mine are a constant motivation to exercise even when I don't feel like it. Great job making healthy swaps when your planned healthy food was left at home. Wishing you sweet dreams for the weekend.

BillBE, yay for a web-free weekend. It can be so great to be unplugged!

MaryContrary, sending supportive thoughts while you face stress of your upcoming deadline. Ouch for the off-plan eating, but great job using it to learn something!

Ceejay, kudos on a healthy day! Yay that being OP makes you feel so much better about the rest of your life!

Jmaf, great job getting out and getting exercise! Your St. Patty's day meal sounds fun and healthy.

Jicarilla, glad you found us here in March! Hugs while feeling discouraged with your diet, but yay for the confidence that you be successful. Congrats on 5 lbs gone forever.

Maryann, yay for a leisurly morning to yourself and yay that the weekend weight is gone. I understand the appeal of an easy weekend to get stuff done around the house.

Annewonders, hope you are feeling better soon!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Still not an OP day. Not "down the rabbit hole" as Mary Contrary says but not clean and I yearn for Clean. I admire Beverleyjoy's three days and hope to jump in with my own Op day today - no matter what. It helps to read everyone's struggles. They remind me where I have been and/or where I will mostly struggle again.
School day off and I love hanging out with my son. I made him Mac and cheese (my downfall) and will go into the kitchen after this and throw the extra away.
JMAF: Thanks for eating corned beef for me. Maybe I'll pick some up on sale this week.
Shepardess: Credit on job taking off. Night work is a tough adjustment.
Lexxiss: I am borrowing a little of your "No Choice" today.
Gwen: I am stuck too. I finally admitted this morning that I have been 151 for two months, give or take a little up or down. I am asking for a little Divine intervention on this plateau. I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to have to eat less and I don't want to see that. Maybe a miracle will happen.
Pagmata: There is lots of pain I am finding in constantly tweeking my food plan to what sounds good.
ChefJoona: I never cease to be amazed how small 1/2 cup of ice cream is.
Ceejay: Credit for you good day.
BBE: Have a great weekend. You're getting lighter by the day.

Last edited by maryann; 03-18-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #179  

Pamatga - eating low sodium is a challenge. My blood pressure has been borderline high the past few times I’ve gone to the doctor. It, however, it may have to do with stress. My doctor said to watch my sodium. Daily, via government standards, recommendation is about 2300. I aim for 1500 - 2000 mg. When I started to keep track, I was eating way, way too much sodium. Some days my sodium is below 1500mg and sometimes it's a little more than 1500mg. I don't want to start obsessing about it... but, be conscience of salt in foods and make good choices.

Processed food has a lot of sodium. I was shocked when I started keeping track. I try to find the no salt added or low sodium varieties. The foods with the least sodium are vegetables and fruits. (although I’ve learned that spinach, carrots, celery & beets have the most salt.) Some low salt or no salt added processed foods I use are: ketchup, canned beans (garbonzo, white etc), canned vegetables, cheese (I use low fat, it has lower about of salt), ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, broth with no salt added, etc. I was surprised to learn that sweet potatoes have alot more sodium than white potatoes.

Since you asked to see -Here are a few days of menus:

Breakfast - egg white scramble with ketchup, pnb toast
Snack - smoothie - cucumber and tangerine
Lunch - red pepper & white bean hummus ( I made with no salt added), carrot sticks, crackers, half banana
Snack - strawberries, rice cake
Dinner - turkey burger & cheese, ketchup, pumpkin with margerine & sf maple syrup.
Snack - lite hot cocoa, fruit,
Sodium - 1250

Breakfast - pnb spoon, pumpkin with sf syrup, margerine, cinn.
Snack - smoothie with cuke, tangerine, flax
Lunch - hummus, parsnips, crackers, ½ banana
Snack - fiber one cereal, milk, raisins, crackers
Dinner - crock pot chicken with potato, onions, carrots - cooked in no salt added broth
Snack - cocoa, cheese, rice cake
Sodium - 1725

Breakfast - pumpkin/margerine/sf maple syrup/, ricotta cheese
Snack - apple
Lunch - pasta with sauce made of: ricotta cheese, asparagus, evoo, onions, leftover chicken broth from last night, oregano, parm. Cheese
Snack - half banana, pnb
Dinner - turkey polish sausage (high sodium), crackers, parsnips
Snack - cocoa, cheese
Sodium - 1820

My food plan is exchanges via Richard Simmons old program with the food mover. It is based on the old food pyramid. I don’t however, use the plastic doo-hickey foodmover to keep track. I write it in my journal.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-19-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

WOW!!

2 days of healthy eating!!!

Breakfast- egg whites and cheese
Snack- plain yogurt and strawberries
Lunch- salad and ham sandwich (whole wheat, no butter, mustard)
Snack- apple and small yogurt with berries
Dinner- was in the city. Resisted many thoughts about pizza, chinese, Mcdonalds, donuts, etc and went to Subway for a whole wheat turkey sub- no cheese.
Planning on a bit of soup for snack.

So happy- it was starting to feel like I was never going to get back on track. But I am not getting cocky. One minute at a time.

to you all
Closed Thread