Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hugs to everyone out there- those of you who are struggling and those of you who are feeling good about your progress.

I am in my final week before holidays. My only goals for this week are to work normal hours with no overtime and to go to bed at a reasonable hour. If I can do those 2 things I can start my holidays in a much better frame of mind.

I am planning on sitting down tomorrow night and writing out my goals and what steps I am going to take. Since ditching one of my jobs I have begun to feel like I am surfacing from a deep well- coming up for a breath. I don't know how I let things go on for so long- well, I do know how- but wish I had taken action earlier. So I am going to use my 2 weeks off as a get back to a healthy, balanced exercise, sleeping, and eating routine. Take long walks, read books, do some meditating, have some fun...

Take care everyone!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #137  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post unbelievable day

Coaches!

So yesterday at 9am I was online, in the virtual waiting room for the space shuttle tickets. You are unable to get tickets until it randomly allows you in. the screen refreshes every 30 sec and you just wait. Then it suddenly opens and you one minute to fill the information for that page in, then you have 4 min for the next page, and 2 min for the next. The site only allows you on it once with the password sent in email = only one chance to get the tickets you want. So during my time on the ticket site, when I was desperately trying to get it done, DH called to remind me to get the tickets, and my friend T called about coming over to help me pack, and I was frazzled, and so I got rid of them and kept going, got to the end of the site, got the last page, the confirmation page, heaved a sigh of relief and then I saw it.... in my address I put the number 4, instead of the number 41. My street address is wrong. The site matches what I put in for my address with my credit card billing address and no match = no tickets. I tried to go back in the site to change the number, but the login only works the once. So I tried to email the space center to tell them what I did and the email bounced back-you have to call. I called and was on hold 30+ minutes. Finally I talked to someone who wrote it down and said someone would call and all day I waited and no call--but yesterday was the only day to get the tickets and I am sure I am not the only one who flubbed it. I did call the credit card company who said the charge was trying to "come in" onto the card and she said in a case where all the information matches but the one thing well then security calls to verify and she wrote a note in my file about this charge. She was hopeful it would work out. I'll try again in the morning to straighten it out.

I was DEVASTATED to think I would have flubbed my chance to get the tickets to the very last shuttle launch ever. I'm better now of course but wow.

My friend and I completed the small bedroom and started the "studio" bedroom closet and we almost finished it. *credit*

DH and I have decided to go forward with the big truck and the move on Saturday as planned. I am leaving the basement packing for now. We'll move the furniture and the boxes that I have ready this weekend. Then next weekend we have a panel van booked in case I have that much more stuff to move. And if I don't, then we just fill the car and use that.

It's happening and I'm not eating my way through it. *credit.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-15-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #138  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lived my day, CREDIT moi, remembering This, too, shall pass. My lunch included a packaged Indian bean dish over broccoli slaw. Really yummy with modest calories. But enough salt to note on the scale for a few days, LOL.

Had a lovely walk after work to do an errand. It's nice to be out and about after work while it's still light.

onebyone - Monster Ouch for your Shuttle ticket story; keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. We did four shelves of books last night; most kept because it was the bookcase for poetry and art books and I'm a sucker for keeping all of those. I did let go of some books of photographs - there are so many good pictures.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Rather amazing day to even include a potty training success - presumably with DS. My DD just trained herself and moved on, like learning to walk. [Jealous of your Phainopepla - haven't seen one yet. Sibley pictures their striking crest and markings to remind me of a Cedar Waxwing. But their range in only in your part of the US and in Mexico.]

FutureFitChick - Waving back toward the depths of graduate school.

CeeJay - You can hang in for a week; lovely thoughts about using your two weeks off.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It's too late for snow. Spring is coming - didn't you get the memo?

Shepherdess - Ouch for the frustrations of midwifery - hope all works out for you. Kudos for doing yoga for two - you should get a limber baby for your efforts.

Beverlyjoy - OK. Short response then, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Might just have to drop by for that "gooey Mexican food" - all low calorie of course.

maryann - Kudos for surviving a high stress week with your soul intact.

ChefJoona - Whenever you eat Ben and Jerry's, you can take credit that you're supporting local Vermont cows, LOL. Hope you survive the dentist.

pamatga - Well, ever since our little incident with the tea in Boston Harbor, we've been paying taxes around here, so you're likely to be able to get work. And our local Irish population goes unstable around St. Pats day.

Gwen - Yay for a bike ride and Yay for the joy of grand-kids on a play structure.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 2
You will stick with the plan because:
. . .
You won't feel as hungry as you have on other diets. The Think Thin plan satisfies hunger because, at every eating opportunity, you will consume a mixture of the following three nutrients.
Fat: The Think Thin plan includes modest amounts of fatty foods, which help fill you up, make food taste good, and add to your satisfaction. Some fatty foods - such as olives, nuts, avocado, and certain kinds of oil - contain a specific type of fat, called monounsaturated fat, that is thought to help improve health.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 29.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-16-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Corrected Beck page number.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

I'm wondering where BillBE is! When I am up this early he has usually posted!

On plan day yesterday for most of the day. Grabbed dinner at a Vietnamese place with friends. I ordered a veggie and tofu based dish with rice noodles. It tasted pretty oily, so it was probably more calorie laden than expected.

Had an active day yesterday, but no real exercise. They have finally cleared the side walks in our neighborhood, so some outdoor walking is more realistic.

onebyone Hope all works out with the tickets!

Waving to everyone else!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #140  

I guess we were posting at the same time!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #141  
Simply Filling Technique

Cool

I see a reoccurant theme this morning: dealing with stress, food and social eatings we have limited control over. I used to avoid social eatings a few years ago because I felt so much stress from "the unknown". I decided to make peace with the situation and now I eat a little of everything and call it quits. The problem is that usually I come home and end up making a sandwich or something because then I undereat; like Saturday night.

The food actually tasted good (done to my liking) but the server were giving 1/2 cup portion sizes. My white plate underneath was visible between the food items. I had undereaten earlier in the day so I could eat with enjoyment instead of anxiety. However, it didn't quite pan out that way. You know what stopped me? I told my DH later that had I gone back for seconds I would have felt that "people" would think, "Oh, yeah, we know why she has a weight issue" but when I watched thin, "normal-size" people snarf down huge portions with abandonment I thought no one would either think that or even notice. It's both self-discrimination and incrimination. Now, I understand why some overweight people become closet eaters and why we are also people-pleasers. This is an attitude I have been aware of for decades. I can't change society but I can change how I view social eating.

Side note: when I was thin (up until age 30) I would have never even had these thoughts. This is the part of my "fat head" that I have been working on in the past 25 years or so.

Back during the Civil War, women of "delicacy" (read: refinement) would lightly snack before a ball so the courters would think these women could control this "base desire": to eat with enjoyment (read: abandonment). Sometimes, I eat like a lumberjack but I also sometimes feel self-conscious of it. It is a struggle that I don't quite feel is "natural". I know that there is a lot of ongoing debate on how we eat as much as what we eat. I am a veteran dieter (close to 30 years under my belt). I know the "drill" but that doesn't make it any less palatable. The jury is out on this one for me. I'm still chewing on it.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-15-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi - well, I don't need to go to my sister's in LA to help after her surgery. She has help. I was having 'anxiety attacks' thinking of calling my surgeon. (for new folks - three times my scheduled surgery was cancelled for legitimate reasons). I know I have to have another examination. If/when we schedule the foot/ankle surgery, I will not get emotionally attached to the date.
I did overeat. I have to say that it was the only way I could 'get through it'. Good grief. Oh well. My doctor appointment is on April 11.

On a light note… two friends came over for tea yesterday. We shared our stories of our latest travels. Sally - Peace Corp in Rwanda, me at Disney World and Joyce to Israel/Palestine with her church. Fun.

Today I have planned for a healthy day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-15-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #143  
Green Tomatoes

I picked up a melorange at the grocery store yesterday. Have you heard of it? It's a winter melon. Supposed to be very sweet. I'll let you know what we think.

WI: -0.65kgs, Exercise: +60* 750/1600 minutes for March, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #144  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up still on the launch pad

Hi Coaches

It's a nice sunny day here today. I'm liking that!

So I called the Space Center this morning about my tickets. The woman on the phone said the woman yesterday should have dealt with it while I was on the phone. Well she didn't. She asked me the woman's name from yesterday. well I didn't have it. After a long pause she took my information down, asked me what happened, and said she would look into it and call back. No call yet. I didn't write her name down either I realized after I hung up. I think I'll call the credit card company and see what happened on that end.

Surely some Human Being will correct an address typo?

My friend T just left. I am now 3/4 done the bedroom/studio space. OMG it was so *painful* to dump 3 large drawers full of craft paint into the trash. PAIN-FULL. Terrible. The toughest thing I have had to do yet. And I have so many canvases. They'll be coming so whatever about how many I have. Let it go I tell myself. Let it go.

I called and arranged for two movers for Saturday to help load the truck. They'll be here at noon. My place is so chaotic right now. I'll need to re/create clear walkways for the movers.

I am *so fighting the urge* to order pizza or chinese food or to walk to the indian lunch buffet. I'm not doing any of that. I'm right here, defrosting a turkey in the sink, wondering what to eat to help use up my food stores. I haven't ordered because I a) don't want to spend any $ and b) I really do want to eat my own food and c) I just can't be bothered to call out or to go out.

My goal today is to complete the studio/bedroom and do the upstairs bathroom too. Very doable. It sure made a difference to have the longer day yesterday I felt like continuing to work longer than before.

*credit for hiring the movers for Saturday. 2 guys 2 hours plus my DH and my friend T to take care of 2 floors of stuff. Should be enough manpower. I am hoping 2 hrs takes care of it. I need to be prepared for the whirlwind of activity.

Anyway. Better go. Have a great day.

update: the tickets are okay! I can go to the launch! we find out tomorrow if DH gets the go ahead from his other boss for the vacation time.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-15-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #145  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

OnebyOne: Your name should be on an attendee list, so, even without the physical tickets you should be allowed in! Also, you could go to the space center website and contact them online. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello:

I am trying to get back into the swing of things:

Credit today for:

-doing weights
-checking in here
-planning for what I am going to do to get back to a sane sleeping, eating and exercise schedule over my vacation-at-home

Doesn't look like much but it is three things more than nothing!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hello Everyone:
I have just read through all the posts I missed while on the lam from living a responsible life for my body. The semester is almost over, and we are on strike one day next week to defend our pension scheme, which they (all the UK universities)are threatening to close down, and it won't be very long until I can get back to research for my book during the easter holiday and that is always good for my soul and my eating plan. But this weekend is a depressing birthday for me --59 years old! How could this have happened while I wasn't paying attention?!?! If I want to live long enough to write three more books, I had better face the music. So, I am going spend the fateful day reading Beck, getting some exercise (time to return to the gym), and then having a glass of champagne with a friend. My goal -- to get my weight down by 30 pounds by my 60th!! As my mother would have said, 'Knock on Wood" -- so I am knocking on my wooden brain, and trying to get through the door to 59 without major damage to my self-esteem! I loved reading all the news, and I feel as anxious about the Shuttle launch as you one by one!
Off to the dentist, as a relief from counting my age. RubyJan
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had the thought of additional snacks in the afternoon, but didn't, CREDIT moi. Went through two very, very, old boxes of books and papers last night, keeping most of the books and half of the papers. Still don't understand why it's so painful. Included a bunch of books about using my Nikormat camera - an absolutely terrific analog camera that is suddenly obsolete.

Walked out at lunch to run an errand. It was brisk, but sunny and clearly past being hard-core winter. Saw students in shorts which encourages me, even though I was wearing gloves, LOL. Did the usual gym, CREDIT moi, trying a dumbbell that I couldn't lift, but without chagrin - I'll get there or I won't.

onebyone - Joy for your tickets to the Shuttle launch. And Kudos both for moving forth with packing and avoiding the comfort foods. I so relate to your "PAIN-FULL."

CeeJay - Yep, Kudos for "three things more than nothing," LOL. Neat to be planning your stay-cation.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - googled melorange - sure looks like a cantaloupe. Look forward to hearing how super sweet goes with a winter squash.

Beverlyjoy - Ahhh ... the next great thing about travel is telling the stories.

Ruby (RubyJan) - Good grief - a dentist visit as a relief, LOL. Welcome to 59, it's easy to still think of that as the LATE 40's.

pamatga - Love the history lesson that women of "delicacy" ... could control this "base desire." Good work identifying your "fat head" thinking.

Gwen - Yep, there he was, LOL. Love the notion that even "a veggie and tofu based dish" might not be healthy because of all the oil. Glad Vermont is coming out from under its unexpected late snow.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 2
You will stick with the plan because:
. . .
You will continue to eat this way for a lifetime. You don't go on this diet and then go off of it. You go on it, adapt it until it's comfortable and easy, and you stay on it - breaking the cycle of yo-yo dieting and achieving permanent weight loss. That's yet another way this eating plan is different. You won't stick exclusively to the limited options in Stage 2 for long. And in Stage 4, I'll teach you how to modify the plan to include your personal recipes. I'll also teach you how and when to make flexible rules for eating, so that you will continue to benefit from the diet forever, without regaining the weight you lose. In short, I'll provide you with the eating plan that you can stick with for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 29.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #149  
Simply Filling Technique

Cool

OnebyOne all of this about the launch sounds interesting. How did you ever decide to do something like that? I may have come in late on how this interest manifested itself in your life.
RubyJanwhat kind of books do you write? Are these for your profession like a disseration?
Beverlyjoy Again, I stepped into your discussion about your surgery at the tail end. Did you try other non-surgical steps before deciding on surgery? Did you tear your tendon and it didn't heal properly? Did you get a second opinion?
BBE How long have you been lifting? What is your end goal on this?
Gwen and CeeJay Sounds like a plan, and a good one at that!
JoyIsn't it neat to try weird and exotic fruits? I don't like fresh mango but I do like mango peach frozen yogurt. It's probably the added sugar, right? sigh

I am posting this early because I haven't been able to fall asleep on just one dosage of pain meds. I tossed and turned for over two hours before getting up. My rheumatism flares up when the temps drop below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. It rained yesterday and that cooled things off. I do best when it is over 60 with low humidity.

I have stinkin thinkin right now. I credit myself for recognizing that in spite of my best intentions I am spinning my wheels. Cracking open BDS and starting back at square one.

I need to do a checklist of what I could/should be doing and what I am not. Thank you BBE for pointing out my "fat head" thinking. Fat heds make for fat bodies, right?

Last edited by pamatga; 03-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #150  

One plan day yesterday. I was out of the office and in meetings a lot, so I wasn't thinking much about eating or food. I made my new favorite Quinoa Salad for dinner, and have left overs for several days for lunch or dinner.

Going to a "St. Patty's Day" dinner at a friend's house tonight. Will stick to mostly veggies and a taste of the corned beef and bread. I'm not a Guiness fan, so that won't be a problem!
Closed Thread