Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #61  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Monday morning comin' down

Good Morning Coaches

I waved bye-bye to DH a few minutes ago. He didn't get on the road last night opting to stay and sleep here. He emailed work and will be in late, probably around 1pm today. I never know how he's really doing these days. He's just tired. His face looked 10 years older when he arrived this weekend. This moving business is tough. He needs his stable homelife back. Oh well. How many more weekends in March? That's the max# of times he has to do the (438km one way) drive. I sent him off with 5 big shopping bags worth of precious objects this time and my submission to the jury for the local art studio tour in the fall. He filled the car with his precious things too. Probably our most special things are in that car right now... Caesar cat not included...or me

I am filled with panic this morning as I realize I didn't get done what was on my list this weekend. Yikes. 2 days behind. Scary. The moving truck is coming a week from Saturday. I have got to be ready. To be ready I have got to be moving on from this main floor area! I'm going along but I am not doing a thorough job. This morning that is worrying me But I am also pretty exhausted this morning.

There's no way out of this but through it. I have to do the work.

And with that, I'd better get started on it.

Zones for the week: 12/45 DONE
TODAY
#10a buffet TOP SURFACE done.
#10b buffet DRAWERS done.
#9A glass desk TOP SURFACE
#9b glass desk UNDERNEATH/AROUND done.
#9c glass desk - take it apart

#6 microwave cart + top of fridge + cupboard way above the fridge
#7 kitchen table top and below
#8 small kitchen appliances wiped/packed
#4 kitchen counters
#5 kitchen cupboards
#5a kitchen cupboards-FOOD/PANTRY cupboards
#5b kitchen cupboards-DISHES/TUPPERWARE-Y THINGS
#5c kitchen cupboards-DRAWERS/STOVE DRAWER

#3 powder room - counter and cupboard
#1 entry closet - another cleaning out if accessible...

#22 stuff in main hallway
#23 stuff on stairs
#24 linen closet

#25 sm bedrm closet
#26 sm bdrm floor
#27 sm bdrm shelves

#31 upstairs bathroom
#33 both dressers

Last edited by onebyone; 03-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning!

Like onebyone I am also in a winter wonderland ! We have had record snow fall these last 24 hours! Even the State did not require non-essential work personnel to come in (My fiance is a state employee). I'll get some exercise later clearning off his car and maybe some snow shoeing when the winds calm down? I am also thinking of dusting off some yoga DVDs I have. When I did them in the past they helped me develop some great muscle tone.

Yesterday was on plan! I find when I have an abundance of fruits and veggies available I do really well. I have been really into spinach, red pepper and avocado salads lately. I sprinkle some cashews on top and it reminds me of a favorite salad from a restaurant in town.

BillBE Friends of mine from the Boston area have raved about restaurant week! We have something similar up here, but I have never done it. Thank you for today's quote. It is especially relevant for me.

I only have the two Pink books, but think I might order the Green book today. I really like the quotes from it.

Beverlyjoy Wonderful news that your sister is home!

Hope everyone has a great start to the week!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've been experiencing some insomnia recently and last night was the worst in a while. I wrote "Eating will not fix tired" at the top of my to do list and food plan today. I hit a new low this morning, partially, I think, because being awake burns more calories than being asleep. But 100% on plan and some exercise help, too.

WI: -0.4kg (new low), Exercise: +45* 265/1600 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #64  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

It looks like I am the last one to post for this morning. I stopped off to weigh in at the 100 lbs group, post on the depression group and listen in on the surgery group. Eventually, I make my way down to this spot.

Well, it has been an extremely tasking week I had last week and from the sounds of it as well for some of you here. My heart goes out to you gardenerjoy.

I feel emotionally overdrawn and although I literally spent the entire day yesterday sleeping it only mildly refreshed me. I fell asleep about 40 minutes before BBE first post of the day. I awoke around 9:45 am but I am wore out. I might even do the unthinkable --take a nap!

Credit moi: for listening and then listening some more.

I'd like to share something that one of the people on the weight lose surgery site posted earlier today. She has lost over 200 lbs already according to her posted stats. She reminded all of us that "this" is more about what goes on in our heads than what we put into our mouths. One other person mentioned that a psychologist said that most obese people do not pay enough attention to themselves; how they feel in their body, how they relate to meeting their needs, etc. etc.

Again, it goes without saying "Fat heads make for fat bodies".

When I effectively tame my emotional reaction to stress in my life, I will be naturally thin and stay there. I have no doubt in my mind. I buckled this past month because I had some added stresses put on me besides the already existing ones and it was just too much.

I listened to my sister as she spewed out all of her troubles over several days. I know she needed to vent but after some point I was finding it too dark and disturbed to not be pulled into it all. Obviously, it has had a negative impact on her but more importantly it has on me. She needs professional help but she won't seek it. I can't do anything for her but listen but it has taken a serious toll on my health this past week so now I am wore out and exhausted from "being there" for someone who can't even receive comfort from that. It is a poisonous situation that I had to move 986 miles away from to heal from and to be periodically pulled back into it is just too much for me especially given my own trials I have been dealing with the past 18 months.

My husband has a deadline of coming up with $700 by this coming Friday. If we can't get it elsewhere it will come out of our own pockets at a time when we really can't afford it. He is depending on my former expertise in fundraising but I am tapped as well. I'm stressing about that too.

Today is weigh in day, down from the middle of the week but up from last Monday. I over ate raw walnuts yesterday. It added 1000 calories, healthy fat, no sodium (TG) to my food plan. Had I not had that I would have had a good day food wise.

Yes, you can overeat healthy foods. I do it often.

Today is a clean slate and I am going to do all I can to take care of myself.I hope that you will as well. Onebyone-as your name says, that is how it done.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-07-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning- After I have been gone a weekend catching up on personals always seems daunting. I think I'll check in and do personals tom.
Like BBE: I was faced with lots of meals out. I have learned these last six months that 1 meal out a day is my limit. I pack the rest. Well, didn't work out. Life, as happens with family, is often unpredictable. Credit _ I followed a plan, I was moderate to the extreme and gained about a pound - so 2 pounds from ticker- AGAIN. But, I know some is sodium. Credit for peace with the situation and enjoying the family - not obesssing on food.
So this morning thinking "Am I going to stay in the 140s or boomerang in and out. My answer is - It is none of my business. All I can do is stay OP, keep progressing and let the numbers take care of themselves. Sounds strangely out of control for me but maybe that is the way it is supposed to be.
Telling the truth, today. It is not always pretty. I'm reading a book by Marianne Williamson on the spiritual solution for food addiction. I'll let you know if I like it.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #66  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Whew! I drove to Denver in fog and snow to drop my sis at the airport at 6am, then drove around Denver for several hours after, looking for some items requested for my friend who is still in ICU back East. I'm hoping to be back into the swing of things tomorrow regarding my posting here.

BBE, you asked about internet in the back of the car....it is with my laptop connect, which is why I'm having the issue in my little mtn town. It needs a cell phone type connection and the local cell tower gets jammed. I live an hour from 10 ski resorts and the tower just doesn't accomodate all the travelers. Once we start driving towards Denver there are more towers and better service.

I've actually been doing quite well-really using my Beck tools to get through these days making good choices and avoiding unplanned eating.
Credits
~unplanned, but successful hunger experiment, as I drove around Denver getting errands done. I wanted to wait for my planned healthy lunch.
~staying OP, and tracking all food and exercise
~picked up a stray choc. raisin off the counter today and put it back in hubbys stash

Take care everyone!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 271/253.4/160

Height: 5'5"

Hey guys, sorry for my absence lately. Life has been nuts. I fell off the Beck wagon for a few days but I'm climbing back on. CREDIT!!!! Hope everyone is well and I'll check back in later when I have more time.

Andrea
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Fat Tuesday - Mardi Gras

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Last night was the fourth day in a row with away from home eating challenges in the evening and I fared poorly on the whole stretch; Ouch. Over eating does seem to lead to over eating. I did stand down the urge to have some tree nuts before I went out, CREDIT moi, as well as on-plan until evening - all four days - which is worth acknowledging to remind myself that it was the specific events, not days of disaster. I'm looking forward to the next stretch of days when all food will come from my kitchen.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. Decided to only press the dumbbells I've been successful with for a spell to get my arms in shape for the heavier ones that were too difficult for me last week.

onebyone - Good reminder for all of us for most obstacles, "There's no way out of this but through it." Kudos for the packing done, despite the panic feelings for that that hasn't been done yet.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Kudos for recovering from the earlier meltdown with your DD. My theory is that kids need to cause those periodically just to feel out the hard boundaries to feel safe - but I also believe that I made up that theory to justify my red faced urge to toss them out the window. [Yep, I deterred myself from dessert with thoughts of my orange once recently; I'll make up a theory on how it works when I'm further from the glop I've eaten on the other nights, LOL.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope sound sleep returns; seems sane to have reminded yourself, "Eating will not fix tired."

Beverlyjoy - Yay for your sister's exit from the hospital; may she have a successful recovery. Yep, Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies are baked by the devil.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for your "unplanned, but successful hunger experiment" - useful encouragement for me. [Thanks for the reminder that cell phones can link laptops - I never think of that.]

maryann - Thanks for the reminder, "All I can do is stay OP, keep progressing and let the numbers take care of themselves."

ChefJoona - Wow, the news is reporting that you've had serious snow; hope you're safe and warm. Sounds yummy, your "spinach, red pepper and avocado salads."

Andrea (masondixonmama) - "I'm climbing back on" is definitely the way to go - Kudos.

pamatga - Yay for naps; they're not just for little kids anymore, LOL. Sending supportive thoughts for the abundance of stress stacking up at once.

Gwen - Congrats, again, that your scale shows you firmly in Onederland, again. Yep, I'm currently an expert on minor stretching of the eating plan leading to more stretching, LOL. Love the strong strategy, "If it doesn't pass I can have one tomorrow."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

Here's a brief preview of the important dieting skills you will learn in each stage.
Stage 1
Once you learn and practice the Success Skills, you will have a much easier time standing firm in the face of dieting challenges. you will know what to do when you feel hungry but it's not time to eat. You will know what to say to yourself to resist the treats coworkers bring to office meetings. You will know how to ride out a craving and how to prioritize dieting no matter how busy your life becomes. When your family members try to cajole you into taking second helpings at a holiday meal or undermine your progress, you will know what to tell them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 26.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-09-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Well, the snow has stopped. I'll be venturing out soon for work and will see then how the roads are. I was hearing last night that a lot of places still had not been plowed. It look my DF and me 45 minutes just to dig out his car yesterday. That was my exercise! It felt good to be active, though I realized how weak my muscles are.

Yesterday was on-plan, which is good because I was around the house all day. I'm feeling my committment coming back!

Out into the wonderland....
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

I was subscribed to two threads, but decided to stick with just one--this one. I met my goal for the two-week intensive phase 1 on my diet, but seemed to have gained a pound since Sunday when I went to Phase 2. The post on not trusting the scale makes sense, tho. And good for me for sticking to a rather rigorous regimen for two weeks. Where the does phrase "Credit moi" come from? I don't remember it from JB's first book.

I was pet-sitting a dog for three days and did a long walk each day--it felt so good, but I haven't done it for three days. The weather hasn't been good either, but there is the gym and the pool. JB and the research is clear: people who don't exercise gain weight back. My goal today is to walk at least two miles or go to the gym. Staying on the food plan isn't the problem--it's keeping moving.

Sharon, the Couch Potato
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #71  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Celebrated Lundi Gras with the kids last night because Tuesdays just don't work for me--DD's gymnastics night will dominate. We planned pancakes, and not wishing to spend good calories on bad food, I made the good cakes. Loved planned indulgences.

Had what may have been the single most productive day of my career yesterday. It is good when things come together.

Then, of course, headache. Post-success, post-fun normal these days. No sign of it this morning, which I still think I owe to my new meds. It was headache with four day headache-hangover before this.

Gotta run, but quickies to gardnerjoy, thanks for "Eating will not fix tired" and reminder to BBE that you made it through several events before succumbing and that is worth a big "Credit moi," yes?

Anne
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #72  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default "Pray to God, but continue to row toward shore. Russian Proverb

Hi Coaches

My friend T is supposed to come by this morning to help me pack. He was 1/2 of the couple with the horrible packing/moving experience at the end of last month. They are both still traumatized and *worried* about me. I finally just said "come tomorrow". I expect him in about an hour. He was supposed to be here a half hour ago. His life is like that and I know it.

I have only the top of my glass desk to do and to take it apart. The taking apart is not so critical. It's more the cleaning it off.

I'm counting on getting the kitchen done today--well as done as you can do a kitchen when you are still living in a place. Tricky. I already started sorting a while back but it was just a dent. After that just the hallway (lined with artwork and art projects in various stages plus show display stuff) the small bathroom and a go again in the entry closet if I can get there. If not, it waits.

It is SO IMPORTANT to get these areas done before I have to leave the house on Thursday. I have to move on.

Quote:
“I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.”-- Charles Dickens

Update: My friend T did arrive. We did the bulk of the kitchen. I could continue with the counters and the drawers. The rest is food stuff to be donated/used/tossed out but probably the night before the move as I am using things since I am eating things. My kitchen table is now gone and a stack of packed, labelled and sealed boxes are in its place. T will be back Thursday morning and we'll get at something awful again: I think the small bedroom I have never been able to tame. I am ready to turn the corner now, literally and figuratively, and work my way down the hall and upstairs. It'll be good to have the bottom floor 85% complete. Some areas need tweaking but if what I left undone had to go, I could live with that. CREDIT for a positive attitude and staying calm

*CREDIT weighed this morning: 284 - felt I was 10lbs heavier "for sure". I was wrong.

Zones for the week: 16/45 DONE
TODAY

#3 powder room - counter and cupboard

#22 stuff in main hallway
#23 stuff on stairs

and I am UPSTAIRS!!!!
#24 linen closet

#25 sm bedrm closet
#26 sm bdrm floor
#27 sm bdrm shelves
#31 upstairs bathroom
#33 both dressers

CREDIT MOI
#9 glass desk done.
#6 microwave cart + top of fridge + cupboard way above the fridge done.
#7 kitchen table top and below done.
#8 small kitchen appliances wiped/packed done.
#5 kitchen cupboards: done for now--still in use.
#5b kitchen cupboards-TUPPERWARE-Y THINGS done.
#5c kitchen cupboards-STOVE DRAWER done.
note to self: kitchen is not 100% and won't be until we are really leaving... move on.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-09-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

We're going out tonight. It will be a new restaurant, probably Thai, so I think I should be able to make a good choice there.

WI: +0.35kgs, Exercise: +45* 310/1600 minutes for March, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #74  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

BBE First of all, I wanted to let you know that I will not be posting tomorrow on Ash Wednesday. After my weekend meltdown, I decided for sure that I needed to start out Lent, my time of soul review and renewal, on the right foot. So I signed DH and I to go to an Ignatius retreat center for a "Day of Reflection". My food plan for the day will be controled by the retreat staff and it will be sparse compared to what I would do at home for fasting. Fasting is difficult for me because of my blood glucose getting too low but I am packing my glucose tablets along with a water bottle. No 5 "meals" tomorrow. 1 regular meal and two light "snacks". This retreat center is in the midst of a beautiful serene woods so there will be plenty of time to be "at one" with God's paradise He gave us to keep over.

Onebyone it finally sounds like you have the worst behind you. I swear I feel like you've been in labor forever. When will this "child" see the light of day? I hope soon.

Although this is traditionally the night to eat up all fats in the cupboard, my Mardi Gras is going to be getting back and staying on track. I had a dismal February food wise and even the first week of March seemed to bode the same as well. However, after sleeping nearly 36 hours between two days(nights?) I feel rested enough to resume my former regimen. I drank over 100 oz to flush more sodium out of my body. It worked. I am now back where I was a week ago. OY! Even saying that is painful. Pride and perfectionism are going to die if it's the last thing I do.

Lent is one of the most spiritually demanding times for me but I come out a better person for it. As I said before, I began a consecration on February 20th which will end on March 25th. I am also doing a 54 day Rosary Novena, among other daily spiritual exercises. I began joining my husband, who is a professed lay Carmelite, in contemplative prayer a few years ago and it suits me.

On a side note, I found out (thanks to one of my fellow Bible study members and his blackberry) that St. Servatus is the patron saint of rheumatism, legs, feet, mice, rats and success. Yes, in that order! I wonder if this includes mice or rats with rhematism. Pray that they run ....quickly and successfully? The engraved lithograph of this saint is one of a bishop with his staff and his foot firmly in a dragon's mouth with the key to the city. My guess, he is the saint to Belgium that St. Pat's is to Ireland and his driving out the snakes in Ireland. Well, rats were a big problem in the 17th century. I am sure that if Servatus got rid of them he was a local "hero".

Speaking of which, my DH who is 100% Irish, and I will be attending our annual St. Pat's dinner and dance this coming weekend. No problem with the food, I think Irish food is soooooo bland. Pass the salt, please. Well, maybe, only a sprinkling. Although the Irish coffee should go down nice.

Have a blessed day, all. You will be in my prayers tomorrow. One, Anne, garderner,bev, BBE, you are all a cherished blessing to me now. I hope I can only return the "favor" in my time.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-08-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Welcome Fat Tuesday. I am not celebrating with food, no last supper. Today is OP except to mini candy bars I will compensate for later at evening snack. I am grateful for work because it keeps my focus on others and off the kitchen.

Lexxiss: Victory comes in small, chocolate raisin packages.
Masondixonmama: Welcome back.
BBE: Thanks for "Not Days of Disaster"
Chefjoona- Congrats on OP
JICarilla - Congrats on op. Walking is the BEST exercise. It is the one people keep up with.
Onebyone: congrats on positive attitude.
Hi to everyone else. I'll be joining Pagmata in Ash Wednesday observance.

Last edited by maryann; 03-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Closed Thread