Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 08:48 AM   #121  

Smile Scrumptious Sunday

Hello All!

Needed to run a Virus Update this am so am running a bit behind-
Although, I did do quite a bit in the tomato garden while the update ran-- Tomato plants are in the composter- just need to get the crabgrass to the curb- ( crabgrass doesnt go in the composter does it? won't that just give you mulch w/ crabgrass seeds?)

DH and I stopped at the bin after breakfast but couldnt bring much back as we brought back shelving and it took up so much room. Might sneak another trip in b/4 the rain starts. But we have made a real dent and think we might have the thing empty by month end. Amazing what things you find. And just as amazing what was the reason for holding onto in the first place?

Here's to eveyone making the best possible choices today!

Today's thought is:
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." Henry Ford

Old 11-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #122  
Empress/Queen

Top o' the morning to all o' ye, Pilgrims and Indians!!! Thanks be, Kaylets, for that quote! Amarantha needeth that as her sea cow metabolism is sluggishly floundering around in the wind resistance created by her pound-a-week aspirations. (Translation, she maintaineth for yet another week, which isn't too bad and she's not discouraged and she be still determined to get to her Turkey Time Challenge Goal!! Now she hath to lose TWO pounds a week, but she'll do 'er!!! Shiver me timbers, she will!!! Ta da!!)

Today Elberta Crone is going to pick out a recipe from Amarantha's WW cookbook to make for dinner!!! So Amarantha must goeth to Costco and get ingredients!!!

Amarantha may not posteth for a few days. Hopeth all goes well for Pilgrims, Indians and Turkeyettes!!
Old 11-10-2002, 01:19 PM   #123  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Unhappy Such is life...

I've been a bit down in the dumps since Friday, even though I started out full of spirit. I found out late in the afternoon that the new company I've been working for is going out of business, while still owing me $1000. They say they intend to try to pay people but don't know if they'll be able to or not. I shouldn't let it get me down. I know I'll find something else, and I do have another company I do fairly steady work for. Nevertheless, I feel slightly crushed. Oh well, I'll get over it.

I've kept OP in any case, which is cause for rejoicing.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:33 PM   #124  

Default Think i was prescient, choosing a Warrior Wood Nymph persona

More bad news. My son's roommate informed him that he didn't want to live with him any more and would be moving out the end of the month. Now my son wants to come live with us and stay in a part of the basement. My husband is not enthusiastic, and it's not the ideal situation, but I feel like, when your kids have trouble, you try to help them out.

DH wants to make sure we have everything laid out clearly before we allow him to move back and he's right. But I just wish things could go smoothly for my son for a bit. He's had a really tough few years - difficulty finding jobs, finding terrible jobs where he felt like he was selling his soul daily, his girlfriend getting pregnant because she quit taking the pill without telling him. I know that suffering is a part of life, but I wish I could spare him some of it. And maybe this will help.

Sorry for venting. And I'm still OP, anyway...
Old 11-10-2002, 06:26 PM   #125  

Default Still Sunday!

Arabella- so sorry you've had so much bad news today! Hope you get paid what you're owed--

As for DS issues-- I can relate to an extent- so far we haven'd been seen an "official" move out yet. Doesn't seem to be in any hurry- guess girls here all have their own places!! A favorite aunt always says ' The bigger your children get, the bigger the problems'-- Its hard to know when your "help" is really their "crutch".

Seems like the "teenage" years go on long into the twenties w/ some of these boys. DD, on the other hand, doesnt ever ask for a dime and as I've pointed out to DH, the way DS always has his hand out, DD wouldnt stand a chance. And believe, me, although DD is married, there have been 3 job layoffs and a long illness as well.

BUT-- the GOOD NEWS is that you hung on this afternoon and stayed on plan- GOOD FOR YOU!!

Maybe you could get in something great tonight, something w/ music-- give yourself some space and hopefully, some perspective.

and by the way, of course, you should come and vent!! Isnt this the place?
Old 11-11-2002, 05:34 AM   #126  

Smile Must be Monday!

Hello all!

My job is one of the few open today ( not counting retail stores,etc) although most of our contacts, except international will not be open. So, if I'm really lucky it will be a light day. We'll see what was sent in thru the mail before the weekend.

Monday is my offiical weighin day and I have not lost. I am disappointed although I know better. I guess I'll allow myself another 30 minutes of disappointment and then move on.

Weather here is "unseasonably warm" -News channel just announced the warm weather's spawned a tornado watch until almost noon-- Guess that's enough perspective !!

Here's to Monday!

Todays' thought is:Nobody ever died of laughter. Max Beerbohm
Old 11-11-2002, 07:16 AM   #127  

Hanging in OP.

Kaylets, thanks for the kind words. It would be nice to be paid what I'm owed - I'm more upset about the potential earnings. But it isn't like that was my dream gig, and I know if I dig around I can find other stuff, and maybe something more personally meaningful.

Sorry you didn't have a loss this week, but I bet it means you'll do twice as well at next WI.

I'm going to try to marshall my forces and have a good day (if it's any consolation, I have to work all day too). I need to remember that this kind of stuff is just part of life and not truly catastrophic.

Ironic, though. Just a few nights ago, going to sleep, I found myself thinking (unusually) that I had nothing to worry about -- everything was (finally!) going well for my son, and our finances were getting on track. Anyway, could be much worse stuff to have to deal with than this. Must get a grip.

Let's take this day and do the best we can with it. Love to all!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:11 AM   #128  

Arabella, my hat'
s off to you for staying OP through all your tribulations. I think that's a sign you're really making it with the "life change" part of this turkey trot. As you said, these things are part of life. But that doesn't mean we don't feel them (and grieve them). I always found it more difficult to deal with my kids' problems than my own as I have a bit more control in my own. My ds seemed to have his share of job tribulations. He's now been in his current (good) job five years and dh and I still are so grateful. We constantly say it's hard to believe it's that long since the roughest years. I guess we're still carrying them around. I hope ds is not but from time to time he'll say things that lead me to believe he is.
My dd's trials have been of a different sort. Some have resolved really beautifully but others will be with her for a lifetime or in other cases at least a long time.

In any event, hope your own work situation comes to an improved level and, again, staying OP should give you a great feeling of being in charge.

Kaylets, you constantly surprise me. Your posts are so young at heart I was surprised to read you had grown children. In my case, it's ds who keeps plodding on and we find out some things only after the fact (and then usually from his wife). We are usually involved in dd's situations, fortunately none have been financial in recent years, more a case of physical and emotional support which we're glad to give. She's always been a bit more of a high maintenance sort than ds.

Hope work goes light for both of you today.

Last edited by anagram; 11-11-2002 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:22 AM   #129  
To love me is a privilege

Good Monday morning to everyone. It is rainy and windy here in the big state of Noth Carolina. My diet mood is pretty good today. I have started with a new attitude for some reason. What ever it is I am not questioning it.
We have two scales in our house and one weighs 2 pounds less than the other. One is digital. I am not sure why there is a difference, but I took the one that weighs me less and put it in my bathroom.
My starting weight was worse than I thought. I said 209 but when I weighed the next morning it was 214. Acording to my new scale this morning I am 209 now. The one meal at a time seems to really work for me. I did however give into this weekend. I worked hard out in the yard and it didn't seem to stick to my thighs according to the scale.
Hotsplashes: Hang in there, those 5 pounds will be gone before you know it.
Amarantha: My mothly visitor adds at leat 4 to 5 pounds. I try not to weigh during that week. It is way to depressing.
To everyone else: Hope all is well.

Tipper
Old 11-11-2002, 11:06 AM   #130  
Is it Friday yet?

It's Monday.... blech!

I've not only fallen off the wagon, I fell into a puddle then got ran over by the wagon... WHY is it that when I exercise I eat crap, then when I'm eating healthy I won't move a muscle?? I've gone to Curves 3 times a week for 3 weeks now and am *still* excited about going - but I keep cramming garbage in my mouth. It's like there's another person in my body that doesn't want to get healthy. I botched the Halloween challenge and I don't want to blow this one too. I've had far too many "just one last splurge" - when IS the last one??? I didn't even get on the scale this morning - or all weekend. A sure sign that I've completely fallen off is when I don't weigh myself. I WILL tomarrow though - I have to know what's going on - denial only leads to more weight... (ok, end rant)

Amarantha, I share your frustration (obviously). Oprah said "it's not about the food"?? That's what I was telling myself a few months ago - and I guess need to start reminding myself of again. Because it's NOT about the food - it's about my behavior around the food. Oh if it were just that simple... it should be!

Kaylets - Yes, I'll take a couple of those No Guilt Cards thank you! Look at your week as a "practicing maintenance" week. You'll loose next week!
My ornaments turned out soooo cute! I painted 6 porcelain stars (they're puffy, hallow inside) in silver and gold with jeweled spots (like a sticker, but you can't remove them) - they will go on my tree. Then I started on my other ornaments - all plaster - they will be attached to presents for family & friends. Again, they're stars, but they look like they're sewn and have a 3D look to them. I had a blast painting this weekend - it did help with the hand-to-mouth disease I have too!

Hotsplash - Fear not - weigh again in a few days! I always avoided the scale during "that time".

Arabella - I hope the situation with your son works out ok and that he finds his way soon - I know at that age I would've hated having to move back home. After you've had a taste of life in your own place it's beyond hard to go back.
I will also keep my fingers crossed that you get the money owed to you. Any way you can place a lien on them? A $1000 is a lot of money to loose.

It will probably be a quiet day today since so many of our clients are state, federal or military. I could use a quiet Monday...

Terri
Old 11-11-2002, 11:36 AM   #131  
To love me is a privilege

Terri:
I have found that the more I exercise the more junk I eat as well. I think it is the guilt factor is gone.
I feel like since I exercised then that last piece of pizza won't matter.
I think it also has to do with our metabolism being jump started.

Anyway, I was told once that it's not what you eat. It's how much of it you eat. And that you should not deny yourself of a craving. Satisfy it and move on.

Don't give up. Jump on that scale and be proud of yourself.

Have a great day.
Tipper
Old 11-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #132  
Hot Stuff

Just popping in to say I'm still with the challenge. Haven't weighed because it's *that* week for me. Will try to drop in during the evening this week to catch up!
Old 11-11-2002, 12:49 PM   #133  
Empress/Queen

Default Avanti ...

Well, Amarantha hath NOT gone fishing. She intendeth to take time off from the internet except for work, as she feeleth her lack o' dietary success and what an editor once called her "zip and zing" (don't ask) would bring down the spirits o' this spirited group o' Turkeyettes. But she liketh it here and here she be again!!!

Seemingly, some here be collectively in a slump but we're gonna get our joie d'vivre (sp? Amarantha hath no French language skills, so forgive her if this means something other than she thinks it means)!!! Howsomever, it be good to be down sometimes, methinks, as from down there's nowhere to go but UP!!!! Except in the case of dieters, who get down when they go UP and feel up when they are DOWN!!!

Arabella, thou fantastic wood sprite thou, great job on staying OP and dealing with thy family and work matters at the same time. Mayhap thou will find great joy in thy son's return but it's a change of how thee thought things would go and that takes some getting used to. Dunno what to say about the $1,000 thou be owed (understanding that it's the loss of future with this employer that be the real cause o' thy woes). I know from my freelancing that it is very hard to get paid sometimes ... some clients I've had think I just LIKE doing this. I'm so happy (kind of) that I'm now on staff with a stable publisher. But my desire is to leave this line of work as soon as I can think of something else I can do ... or move north ... whichever comes first!!!

Punkin o' Friday! Thy trouble beith that it's NOT FRIDAY!!! Don't feel bad about thy topple from that wagon!!! Just hop back on and keep a'goin' ... when thee thinks about it, that's all any of us can do, since we are Turkeyettes and NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE UP!!!!

Remember Turkeyettes, after Thanksgiving comes Christmas. There's always another chance to set and reach new goals. It ain't over 'till it's over! Somebody famous said that long ago, but Amarantha hath no idea who it was. But it's true.

Thy ornaments sound lovely, Punkin! It is so wonderful to make beautiful things, especially for holidays.

Dollar? Be thou there? How's it going?

Tipper!!!! Methinks thou be right about not denying access to the dreaded DC (Demon Craving)! Very powerful is DC but oft will go away like a lamb if he gets what he wants!

Speaking of which, Amarantha must confess she ate a vanilla triangle donut in the Walmart parking lot yesterday! (Oh, no!!!!) It was a little short on the vanilla filling and so somewhat of a disappointment.

Bee Anagram!!!! Sounds as though thou be doing well and hope thou hast a great day!!!

Kaylets!!! Amarantha loveth thy philosophical approach: "I guess I'll allow myself another 30 minutes of disappointment and then move on." With this attitude, thy Demon Scale shall have no choice but to cooperate soon!

Eydie!!! Be thou out there? Hope all is well!!!

To All Whom Amarantha Misseth: Haveth a great day!!! WE CAN DO THIS THING!!! (Yes, we can!)
Old 11-11-2002, 01:37 PM   #134  
Super Star

Dear Amarantha

I just wanted to post here to tell you ho much i appreciate your words to my journal

I was so tocuhed by what you said. Your words were amazing. Please do not go. As you said us Tracy's need to stick together.

Your words were so amazing..just reading them made me feel better.

I thank you..and you..are...right now..my everyday hero.

God Bless YOU!!

Tracy
Old 11-11-2002, 01:49 PM   #135  
Is it Friday yet?

Ok, the "whoa is me" fest is over. Something hit me on the head reading all the positive posts and I thought "what good is it doing me to focus so much on what I'm NOT doing???" I should be focusing on what I *AM* doing. I am exercising. I am *caring* that I'm not eating right (vs. what the ****, please pass the chocolate sauce) and I am maintaining the over 20 pounds I lost since January. So what that it's 11 months later and I'm still hovering, so what? I'm still over 20 pounds lighter than I was this time last year! My blood pressure is down! I'm exercising and starting to see some definition in my arms! THAT is what I'm going to focus on - what I have achieved and what I have my sights on - NOT what I've screwed up recently. I've been successful before - I will be again!!!
(I should also have this paragraph tattoo'd on my forehead for the next time I invite myself to the pity party)

Amarantha - Cie, est joie d'vive (the joy of life or long life I believe). I remember juuuust enough French from high school to get smart. I know more Italian, but that's thanks to a friend in Rome...

Tipper - You may have something there. My body hasn't been exercised like this in a very long time. It would make sense for it to be hungrier than normal - add to that a binge history and I can see where my falling off the wagon would come in. Perhaps I need to schedule some more snacks and REMEMBER to eat them so I don't get too hungry...

Ok, back to work!!!

Terri
Closed Thread