UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #316  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Joselo I was 21 so long ago............I feel sooooooo old! Watching the Olympics ( which I have absolutely loved!) and it is full of 15 year old swimmers breaking records makes me feel ancient of days!!!
On an up note, I have just played badminton for the first time since I broke my leg on my Iceland Trek 3 years ago.It wasn't pretty, it wasn't zooming about the court and I daresay it wasn't much like badminton but we lasted 50 minutes me and my hubby who has quite significant disabilities!!! Not bad for a pair of puffed out old flubba-wubbas like us! He is doing it to help me with the weight loss bless his dear sweet little heart!!!
Poopy 201....a bath isn't right without a good book!!! Might treat myself to a bath tonight as I have a feeling my bum muscles may ache from playing badders!!
Has anybody heard from Lozz?
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrystalFairy View Post
Hi Mountain Walker ... thanks for your fabulous welcome!!

To answer your questions, I live in Yorkshire (the place that wins all the Olympic medals ) and I currently weigh 216.4 lbs ... or 15 stone 6 in English. I have a dream to be back at my "happy" weight of 9 stone, but that may be a goal a little too far, but we'll see. I'm just going to take each pound at a time.

As for how I'm going to lose my weight, well - in the past I've tried the Juicemaster diet, where I ate nothing but juiced fruit and vegetables. After two weeks I'd put on seven pounds, so me thinks that's not the diet for me! I succeeded a little at Slimming World in the past, but couldn't stand the happy-clappyness of the group weigh ins. And I put on another three stone since my last group, so maybe the mentality for that wasn't there. So I think I'm not going to follow a specific 'diet' as such - I think the mere word DIET scares the **** out of me if I'm honest. I visualise never being able to eat another pizza or ice cream ever again when I think of diets, and then I panic, and when I panic I eat.

I'm at the end of Day Two now, and I've managed to go with no sugar in my coffee, which is a HUGE achievement (even though I only drank a couple of cups a day), and I've also managed to not eat biscuits. I'm the sort of person who will open a packet of biscuits, take four, go back for another couple, and suddenly within the hour the whole packet has gone and I have to hide the wrapper out of guilt. So I suppose you could say I'm a secret eater.

I'm actually really proud of myself today - every time I've gone into the kitchen to get some food (can't BELIEVE how many times a day I actually do that!!) I've come away with a glass of water. So that has to be a start, doesn't it? Anyway, sorry, I'm waffling.

Moving on - Hi Jose! Maybe it's just quiet because everyone is away sunning themselves on beautiful sandy beaches. Man, I can't remember the last time I sunned myself on a beach, or removed even the slightest item of clothing to allow myself to be sunned! But I digress That Philosophy bath creme sounds divine - I never seem to find the time (well, make the time) for a relaxing bath these days. Maybe after my first stone I will follow your lead and treat myself, too. Congratulations, by the way. A stone is a massive amount of weight to lose - I'm impatient already to hit that target already!!

And finally hello 1987 - I'm so pleased I stumbled across this forum. It's great to meet like-minded folk who know what I'm going through. At home I have total support from my husband in whatever I do, and he loves me no matter what I look like, but somehow that's not the same as speaking to people who know what it's like to be overweight.

Anyway, sorry I've ranted on for long enough. I'll call back each day to say "hi" and have a chinwag. Now I just need to convince myself not to step on the scales until Monday; I'm not going to get weighed more than once a week otherwise I'll go insane
Wow that juicemaster diet doesn't sound too fun. I don't think I'd ever be able to do a juice/slim fast/shake kind of diet. But I suppose you get used to it eventually.

I cut out sugar in my tea/coffee too, and after around five months, I still haven't succumbed to the lure of sweet sweet sugar. I used to order a vanilla latte when out, but I haven't had one in months. I mainly stick to water/fruit juice nowadays.

On work days I used to have around 4 - 5 cups of coffee/tea per day. That's a lot of sugar when you think about it. Best of luck cutting it out and well done on the progress so far. You sound like you're off to a good start.

And yes, this forum is brilliant. Really supportive and great to hear from others in the same boat. Have fun settling in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy201 View Post
Hi, everyone, I'm back! Well, I got back from Paris on Friday but work is very busy with Olympics.

MW - Wales sounds great. Good going on getting all that exercise in. Although it sounds like you enjoy it.

1987, 40lbs down is amazing! And it's so lovely when people start noticing and paying you compliments. You must be feeling pretty good about yourself too.

JoseLo - a stone! Congrats. I'm sure people will start to notice soon. Do you ever go to Molton Brown for bath stuff? They have some lovely bubble baths! (Something I treat myself to far too often. I can be in the bath for over an hour with a good book!)

Welcome, Crystal Fairy. I think you sound like you're going for a sensible appoach, not focusing so much on a "diet" and more on changing stuff for the better in your life. Are you going to start counting calories or anything, or just generally make better choices? Even making little changes can affect weight loss, so sugar and biscuits seems a good place to start.

As for me, Paris went well, food-wise, I think. I mostly ate salad nicoise. (And I didn't feel deprieved, the weather was pretty hot in Paris so didn't really want massive hot meals.) Although I did drink quite a lot (OK, a lot!) of wine. As a result, I've only lost 1lb between last Friday and yesterday. I know that's still fine, and every bit counts, and at least it's not a gain... but I still feel guilty...(I'm not sure if that is the right emotion I'm identifying.)

I'm also feeling guilt when I eat out and can't control calories in the same way. Tonight is my bofriend's birthday and we're going to a restaurant and I'm already feeling quite anxious about it. I think the problem is when I'm calorie counting, after dinner, I always feel like I could eat more, whereas in restaurants I feel full and that makes me anxious and guilty. I even considering telling my boyfriend I was sick and couldn't come but then realised how ridiculous (and selfish) that is. Aaagh, no problems with binging still, (thank God) but finding the emotional mind stuff a bit hard at the moment.

What do you all do when you go out for dinner?
Thanks Poppy, yes it feels good but it's not so good for my bank balance haha, too much clothes shopping

Glad you had a nice time in Paris, a loss of a 1lb is still a great loss so bravo!

I can relate to the going out for dinner thing, it annoys me that so many restaurants don't detail the nutritional info/calories of their menu items. Some places do, so it makes my choice much easier. But in places that don't it can be a minefield. I find it best to eat light during the day to make way for a potentially more calorific dinner than normal. Going out for dinner is part of life, so it's important not to avoid it. It's to be enjoyed after all, especially on birthdays etc. You'll get used to it, I promise.

Hope you had a lovely evening for your boyfriends birthday

As for me, I have lost 1lb over the past few days so I am now 1lb away from a three stone loss! 1 measly pound to go until I am 60% of the way to goal woohoo.

No bike tonight, night off. But managed 2 hrs so far this week with another 2 to go so very achievable.

Hope you guys are all having a nice Wednesday xxx
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 180/165/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
I can relate to the going out for dinner thing, it annoys me that so many restaurants don't detail the nutritional info/calories of their menu items. Some places do, so it makes my choice much easier. But in places that don't it can be a minefield. I find it best to eat light during the day to make way for a potentially more calorific dinner than normal. Going out for dinner is part of life, so it's important not to avoid it. It's to be enjoyed after all, especially on birthdays etc. You'll get used to it, I promise.
Yes, exactly, I wish menus had calories too! Or at least two different menus so you could ask for the one with nutritional information. Ah, well, you are right, it's meant to be enjoyed and I think I'm fairly OK at not going overboard and making healthy choices - I just need to stop feeling so guilty about it! Hope you managed to shift that lb!

Haha, JoseLo, big and bold indeed. I might not be online on Sunday so HAPPY 21ST for then! Where are you going for your birthday meal? I definitely don't think you need to count calories on your 21st birthday. Hope you have a brill time!

CrystalFairy - thanks for all the restaurant advice! Yes, it's definitely a good mentality to get into - "I don't need to eat everything put in front of me." It can be hard sometimes, though! And I saw on that Secret Eaters C4 programme that people tend to eat more when they're out for dinner with friends since you're all talking and spending longer at the table so you're not concentrating on how much you're eating or when you're actually full. Which makes sense. How's cutting down drinking going? I don't drink every day, but I know if I was to give up wine I would probably lose faster and be much healthier but I'm not sure I can face doing that yet! Think it might push me off the wagon. Hope it's going well for you.

MW, thanks for all the advice. Hope you weren't too sore after badminton!

I weighed myself this morning - under 12 stone! (Just! ) So that's a good start to the weekend. Hope everyone has a lovely Friday x
Poppy201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #319  
mountain walker

well done poopy you must be really pleased!
Surprisingly good after badminton bum muscles a bit achy but otherwise great.....and it was soooo much fun to get back out on the badminton court again. I was a bit gentle with my cra**y knee but I guess the confidence will increase each time I play.
My other exciting news is that I have received my resources to start my OU access course.........yippee!!!!
Happy Friday my lovelies......!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #320  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

I admire you so much all the sport and exercise you're doing MM!! What is the OU course in??

Glad you well Poppy. I am not sure what to think about cals on the menu. I don't like my enjoyment being spoilt with guilt when I am out... but maybe that is th POINT! However for my 21st I am going to Nandos with some friends. I bet they will all at quite healthy, that is what they are like, but I am afraid I am having 1/2 chicken with hot sauce, with rice and chips. Plus my friends' leftovers, probably. I plan to get frozen yoghurt for pudding but I might end up getting caramel cheesecake. I know it is not so good but I could eat more than that in a senseless bing so I don't feel too bad about it. I guess I am just not ready for that sacrifice of a nicemeal yet! I am sooo looking forward to it, has to be said!!

Then we are going to some bars and fpr dancing! Maybe I can burn off a few cals with my moves!!

Glad to see you nearing that milestone, well done 1987!!
xxxxx
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #321  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy201 View Post
Yes, exactly, I wish menus had calories too! Or at least two different menus so you could ask for the one with nutritional information. Ah, well, you are right, it's meant to be enjoyed and I think I'm fairly OK at not going overboard and making healthy choices - I just need to stop feeling so guilty about it! Hope you managed to shift that lb!

Haha, JoseLo, big and bold indeed. I might not be online on Sunday so HAPPY 21ST for then! Where are you going for your birthday meal? I definitely don't think you need to count calories on your 21st birthday. Hope you have a brill time!

CrystalFairy - thanks for all the restaurant advice! Yes, it's definitely a good mentality to get into - "I don't need to eat everything put in front of me." It can be hard sometimes, though! And I saw on that Secret Eaters C4 programme that people tend to eat more when they're out for dinner with friends since you're all talking and spending longer at the table so you're not concentrating on how much you're eating or when you're actually full. Which makes sense. How's cutting down drinking going? I don't drink every day, but I know if I was to give up wine I would probably lose faster and be much healthier but I'm not sure I can face doing that yet! Think it might push me off the wagon. Hope it's going well for you.

MW, thanks for all the advice. Hope you weren't too sore after badminton!

I weighed myself this morning - under 12 stone! (Just! ) So that's a good start to the weekend. Hope everyone has a lovely Friday x
Thank you

Well done on the weigh in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseLo View Post
I admire you so much all the sport and exercise you're doing MM!! What is the OU course in??

Glad you well Poppy. I am not sure what to think about cals on the menu. I don't like my enjoyment being spoilt with guilt when I am out... but maybe that is th POINT! However for my 21st I am going to Nandos with some friends. I bet they will all at quite healthy, that is what they are like, but I am afraid I am having 1/2 chicken with hot sauce, with rice and chips. Plus my friends' leftovers, probably. I plan to get frozen yoghurt for pudding but I might end up getting caramel cheesecake. I know it is not so good but I could eat more than that in a senseless bing so I don't feel too bad about it. I guess I am just not ready for that sacrifice of a nicemeal yet! I am sooo looking forward to it, has to be said!!

Then we are going to some bars and fpr dancing! Maybe I can burn off a few cals with my moves!!

Glad to see you nearing that milestone, well done 1987!!
xxxxx
Hope you have a lovely birthday with your friends mister!

I don't go to Nandos often but it is yummmmy. I can't handle the spice though, no peri peri for me thanks

If you can't go all out on your birthday then when can you go all out eh? I guess you could maybe eat light throughout the day and the days surrounding that day if it's gonna be a mega meal though. That'll help some.

Have a nice weekend everyoen xxx
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #322  

S/C/G: 216/216/126

Height: 5'6"

Default Happy Saturday!!!

Morning all ... sorry I've not been around for a couple of days; been really busy with work, then yesterday I had a pretty crappy day and ate too much, and had my first alcohol of the week. Feeling really down on myself this morning because of it, but hey, it's another day - and it's the weekend!!!!

Hey Poppy - hope you had a good night out the other evening and excellent for getting under 12 stone. Well done you! I dream of those numbers, and hope to see them pop up on my scales again. Happy days

1987 ... vanilla latte sounds SO good to me this morning, but I'm just settling down in front of the computer with a plain old boring instant coffee. With no sugar. I must say I wavered a bit this morning as to whether to put sugar in, but I know I don't need it, and it tastes fine without it - just a hard habit to break I suppose. You have a great weekend and lose that pesky pound. Three stone here you come - SUCH a massive achievement, you need to be very, very proud of yourself.

Wow Mountain Walker - badminton! I haven't played badminton since 1993, and even then I wasn't any good at it. Glad you're not suffering too much from it, so it hasn't put you off from getting out there and playing again. Meanwhile excellent news on your OU course. What are you studying?

And finally JoseLo ... big and bold is good, especially on a 27" screen. Man that made me giggle at how massive it was You're doing brilliantly, and oh to be twenty-one again. Make sure you have a wonderfully brilliant birthday weekend, and sod healthy eating on your meal out to Nandos. You only turn 21 once, but there's is always going to be a tomorrow that you can eat healthily and lose weight. Can't believe I'm encouraging you to go out and eat chips - but you've done so well up to now I'm sure that once your birthday celebrations are over you will be back on track and better than ever!

Right - best go and get some work done. The perils of being self-employed - doesn't stop just because it's Saturday morning. Have fun all - enjoy your weekend and speak really soon.
TheCrystalFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #323  

Hello!!

I am so happyyyyy!!!!!! As I may possibley have mentioned (hehe!) it is my birthday tomorrow, but because itis Saturday, today is my main day for celebrating. Having a lie in with th newspaper and read my cards. I am meeting my oldest sister and brother Carmencita and Carlito about 1, for a cup of tea in town. Then I go home and get ready for my evening, I am meeting 5 close friends for the meal (yeeeey!!) then we probably meeting a few others for some drinking and dancing!! So excited!!

I weighed myself yesterday, maintained, which is to be expected considering I did well generally but there was one day where I ate about 6000cals so ooops. Just about away with it. Shame on me!

Awww CF, I know that post drink downer that can happen Hope you feel better soon. What is your work?

Morning 1987!

xxx
I think I am just not the kind of good dieter who can turn down an excuse for a blow out. I don't think I stand a chance of following a diet that doesn't allow for this sort of thing!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 216/216/126

Height: 5'6"

Default Happy Nearly Birthday!!!

Hey JoseLo - Happy Nearly Birthday Staying in bed and opening birthday cards seems like THE best way to start your weekend. And the rest of your birthday celebrations today sound just perfect. And remember to dance those socks off, young man - burn those extra calories without even thinking about it!

We'll just ignore your bad day this week, shall we? And I shall ignore my yesterday (can't believe I had a crap day so early on in my new regime!) but ****, like you I could never stick to a 'diet' if I thought I could never do bad things occasionally. And that's just it - as long as it's just occasionally then we'll all be fine. I'm really trying hard not to beat myself up about yesterday. I've realised that my eating problems are worse at certain times of the month, but you're a boy so I shouldn't even mention that!!

As for what I do, I'm a photographer. I specialise in making people of all shapes and sizes feel good about themselves, especially women. I'm kind of a female Gok Wan!!

Right mister - you go out and par-tay 'til the sun comes up. Have fun
TheCrystalFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #325  
mountain walker

Joselo....Happy Birthday!!!!! Have a wonderful day/night/morning after!!
Crystalfairy what an amazing gift. Alot of overweight people hate having their photos take. I got married last November and had a wonderful day but although my husband says I look wonderful I can't help but see all the rolls of fat in my dress. I was at my biggest and it is my dream to have photos taken again when I reach my goal. When I went to buy an outfit as my budget was very limited so was my choice and I cried all over the woman in Anne Harvey as I didn't want to spend money on something I would still feel like a pile ( a very BIG pile) of pooh in.
My OU course is an access course into the Arts but I am hoping to start a full time degree in Feb, a BA mainly in History. It's a bit of a career change as I was a Physio for 25 years!!
As you can hopefully see from my ticker ( not sure if I did it right) I AM UNDER 300 LBS!!!!! Only just but I am so thrilled as I lost the plot a bit on hols and have been a bit out of routine with the kids off school. My total loss is 4 stone and 2 lb. Actually it is probably a bit more as I was too scared to weigh myself around Xmas last year but I know I must have been knocking on the door of 26 stone.
Exercise continues apace I now have my daily dog walk down to 45 mins from an hour and a quarter! I have started to do an extra session of exercise on most days to up teh ante a bit.
Happy saturday peeps xxxxx
Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #326  

Aah, that is OK to have a bad day early on, you just getting to grips with it CF! I am lucky I don't have the TOM issue to deal with! That must be hard. Don't worry, i am used to hearing about it, I think it is a gay guy privileg thing, women talk to you about all kinds of personal stuff like that, hehehe!!!
That is such an amazing job CF! Even though I want to lose weight, I think
it is very important that everyon should be able to feel beautiful and attractive just as they are. Weight loss is a seperate health issue to be considered, but not in a way to affect feelings about yourself. Easier said than done I know! That is great work you are doing! I try and promote somthing like that in my work because I strongly feel fashion and style can be for everyone, whatever your size, and I like to be an example of that! Sometimes people coming in who need some measuring get really self concious, especially bigger people. I like to think I put everyone at ease. It helps maybe also that people can see I am big so I probably won't judge! I am proud of that. (apart from the lady who said she 'didn't want a BLACK MAN to do that!!')

Awwwww MW... I hope you didn't feel like a big pile of poo on your wedding day. I bet you looked beautiful *hugs*

What an exiting time for you!! Learning new things, starting a new direction, losing so much weight!! You really are doing so wonderfully!
xxxx
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #327  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 314.15/289.9/150

Height: 5"8

Default Haaaappy Biiirthday!!!

JOSE!!!! Oh to be 21 again lol Enjoy it while you can!! Anway, if you haven't aleady, check your messages on MFP, I've explained how to use the speadsheet there for you. CHECK the purple box numbers are right tho... purely because its saying a loss of 12lbs and not 14lbs in total.

So anyway, I'm back!! Properly!! My netbook is running like dream AT LAST!! So I'll be able to check online more often now.

Loss wise..... BAH!! don't get me started!! It feels like I've been maintaining for weeks... well... 2 lol But starting yesterday I got back on the WII and jogged for 10mins straight after doing my warm up. I need to fix the board tho as the battery cover has done a runner and every time I try to do the step aerobic thing it keeps getting disconnected... GRRRR I'll fix that on thursday morning so I can get on it then. I'm not going to do it on the days when i'm working. I think I'll end up damaging myself lol

Also, in a couple of weeks planning to get started with the Zumba-ness. The great thing is, on a thursday night Zumba is at 8pm for an hour then I can go swimming straight after, and let my muscles relax a bit. Thats a plan right?

I also took measurements on thurdsday and will be each week as the scale is refusing to move.

If still no movement on the scale after a couple of sessions of zumba and everything else, I'm going to have to look at jigging my cals around... I'm at 1500 a day at the moment, although some days I'm way below... Could that be a reason perhaps?

I'm hoping somone insightful like Brid or MW could shed some light on this for me

Anyways, Welcome to the newbies too and if you want to get involved with the spreadsheet here's a link and gimme a shout. I'll check if that linky works. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...NYnE1Snc#gid=0

(yup it works lol)

TTFN!!!!

Last edited by LozzCowell; 08-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
LozzCowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #328  
mountain walker

Hiya peeps. Bin proper poorly with some sort of tummy bug which I am just getting to the end of. On the up side I did lose a pound and a half just on the loo!!!
Lozz I have been thinking about your slight plateau. Have you considered that as you are alot lighter than you were you might need to up the ante to keep the weight loss going? Depends on what floats yer boat but for me exercise is the way to go rather than cutting back the cals too far...remembering that this is a "forever" deal not just a quick fix. The other culprits would be underestimating what you are eating ( this is a biggie for me) and our old friend hormones!!
There is alot of talk about the alternate day diet thing and I do think there is something to be said for variety. I slimfast a day or 2 here and there and I think it does help.
Hoping to get back out to exercise tomorrow!
Hugs xxx
Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #329  

Heeey!!

I have been so busy last few days, not least on MFP!! I started a thread about some personal musings on racial identity and it went on sooo long, it was very interesting, and no one got nasty (very impressive!) and stupid comments were minimal. And I got several lovely messages and friend requests which is great!

Anyways, diet is going ok, getting back on the wagon after my weekend off for my birthday, awwweee! I am trying a new approach of shopping for the next 4 days and making the food last. I had been shopping every day because I feared if I kept food at home I'd eat it all. But I think it is getting me to hung up on the ritual of shopping, and I seem to end up buying more than I mean each day. I am going to see how this works out for me. 5 days til i start the weight management sessions, eeeek nervouse!!

Glad you are feeling better now MW, lol about the loo! I know what you mean about underestimating, I am the worst for that as Joselito portions is not 'recommended' portions, haha! The times I thought I had just a serving of something and realised I had many times that!! I am learning!

Thank you Lozz! I hope you overcome the plateau; your exercise idea is very good, I hope you enjoy the zumba, my sister teaches a class in that, I want to help her with it if/when I get slim!! The music is mostly reggaeton from my country! I think it will definitely tone you if nothing else, and hopefully kick start the losses again. I can not be very insightful but you know I always listen
xxxx
Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #330  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote