Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #31  
Rowing Mama

S/C/G: 202/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

You gals are all too fun!

Way to go on skipping the chocolate chip cookie, Aila! That can be big stuff for us! (And sorry for misspelling your name earlier- I get to 'thinking' a name a certain way so I can remember how to say it, and sometimes it comes out in the typing....

Lori, I had hoped we can all just check in during the week as time allows. We're all busy with our little ones, but if we can take a minute to share our discouragement or our motivation, we can make each others burden lighter. (I'm a Christian, and definitely believe in bearing each others burdens- we can't carry each other's weight, but we can help each other to have the courage to make good decisions on what to put into our body and whether we move our body as well.)

Several of you mentioned my being motivated- that's good! I really am on a mission to get this part of my life under control. It's probably a little too much of a focus right now, but I know time will help me mellow out a bit. And like I said before, when I get down I'll be depending on ya'll (I'm a former Texan, so I take liberties- I really don't have much of an accent, but people here say 'oh, there's another Southern girl', which I find rather funny coming from Californians and Minnesotans.) to help carry me.

Hi Jen! Welcome aboard!

Our local Mom's Group (Lori knows this) does a 'Brags & Sags' part of the session each week. Maybe we could incorporate that on a weekly/daily/sporadic basis. (as in whenever works for you) so you can say your brag (highlight, best thing, etc.) and sag (worst, etc.) on your daily habits. So, chime in whenever you feel like it, okay?

Gotta go clean (I am a horrible housekeeper- my dh had a men's group meeting tonight, so I'll be doing an hour of heavy cleaning instead of water aerobics after the kids are in bed) so when the computer repair guy comes he isn't shocked at the popcorn and almonds on the floor in here. And I am *not* going to bake cookies like I planned, because I know who'll end up eating too many..... ME! If it ain't here, I won't eat it, but if it is........ watch out!
julieofarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 AM   #32  

Default Scale Correct?

The last time I was weighed was July 18 at a doctors visit and I weighed in at 212. I weighed myself last night and to my suprise I am down to 197. I am questioning if the scale is right only because I didn't get really serious about loosing until this week. After my doctors appointment I started watching what I ate a little more but still was not very careful. I will take the 197 though. It is making me feel even more inspired to eat right and exercise. I know that we are supposed to do a weigh in on Friday's so I will wait until next Friday to do mine.

Julie it is okay that you spelled my name wrong I am used to it. It happens to me all the time. LOL. Good decision not baking those cookies, who can resist homemade cookies?

I hope everyone has a good day talk to you all later.

Aila
bigbootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #33  

Thumbs up

Aila,

I know that people have told me that when you diet only go off of one scale and use that scale in the same place everytime that you weigh. Because the same scale can weigh you differently if say you were weighing yourself on a hard floor verses carpet. Sometime even if its both hard floors but ones in the bathroom and the other in the kitchen will still be different depending on the structure of the floor and house. What I do is I weigh myself in the bathroom and mark the same place for the scale so its in the same place everytime. The best way is if you don't have to move it at all.

I know when I was trying to get pregnant I would weigh myself at home right before my doctors appointment and then they would weigh me at the office. No matter what between the two scales the numbers would never match. My suggestion for you, Aila, is to take the loss and be extremely excited about it. Weigh from your scale at home only!! And if you ever have to get weighed at the doctors again, just keep that in mind that you are only using the one at your home, PERIOD!!!!!!

Keep it up Girly!!! Your doing GREAT!!!!!!
AmySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #34  

Hello all,
I have done great today and even went for a walk. I lifted some free weight yesterday. I have some 10 and 15 lb weights and when I do them on a regular basis I can really see a difference in inches lost. I am still going to weigh on Fri, but I may not see the big weight loss at first if I am lifting weights. I will try the push up and hold for sure. I was watching Oprah last night and her guest (Perrconni Promise ?) said that if you replace coffee with green tea you can lose 10lb in two months. He said that coffee causes an increase in insulin. I thought I might give it a try. I do like green tea and it would be a great way to get off coffee. Has anyone else heard of this guys book?

Gina
gina71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 180/173/140

Height: 5ft. 8

Hey girls,

I totally agree on the "use only your home scale thing"!!! I only use the one at my house so if I'm off, I'm consistently off!

I LOVE the "brag and sag" idea. I think we all need the chance to vent and then let it go. We also need the opportunity for other gals to pat us on the back when we do good! So... kudos on the bypassing the cookie!!!

Well, looks like another south TX lightning storm is headed my way, guess I need to go unplug everything...again...

I did work out yesterday and today, yeah for me!!!
Missy
txmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #36  
Rowing Mama

Let's see, for today:

My sag is that I woke up with a migraine and so I didn't go to the gym. That has become my stress relief outlet. My dh and I are talking about buying an erg so we'd have something here for the times we can't make it to the gym. Someone on the Concept2 website mentioned they like to rent movies and then row for the 1 1/2 hours during the movie- a long steady row. I love that idea, and it would sure work better than my current habit of eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's while watching a movie. (But hey, they now have B & J's Body & Soul variations that are like half the fat and a quarter the sugar or something like that. I have yet to try it.)

My brag is.... hmmm, can think of more sags than brags given my frame of mind and all this rain..... that I've gone up and down the stairs many, many times on purpose. So, rather than setting a toy that belongs downstairs on the stairs to be taken later, I've been taking it and then coming back upstairs. Anyone know where you can buy those little clicker counter things? You know, where you can push a button and it counts up so you can keep track of laps around the track, etc.? I think I want one if they're not too expensive.

My mom is flying in to visit, so I'm headed out to the airport to pick her up! I told her to bring her gym clothes and hiking stuff, so if this rain quits we can go to a couple of the nice day hiking areas around here.

Looking forward to weigh-in day so I'll have a better baseline. It took me a while to get used to drinking the water and quit pinging up and down on a day to day basis. (I still do, just not nearly as much.)
Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #37  

Hmm my sag for the day....hmmm I have a lot of sags thats what I am trying to get rid of.

My brag for the day... just when I was getting depressed and thinking about grabing something well not healthy to eat...I got the newspaper. Now how you ask does that side track one from eating..... my business was on the FRONT PAGE!!!!! I was soooooooo excited that I started to dance around like a mad woman!!! Needless to say that I forgot about eating and was more thirsty than anything!!

Anyhoo~ Julie ~ I think that your looking for a pedometer (sp?) They at one time was giving them out with the Adult Happy Meals at McD's. I have also seen them on cereal boxes like special k. Do a search and I am sure that you will find one at a decent price. What it does is keeps track of you steps for how ever long you wear it.

Sounds like you and your mom are going to have a nice time with hiking and the gym. Let us know how everything goes!!

Weigh in is tomorrow ~ do we have a "set" time as to when to weigh? I know some only weigh themselves in the morning before they eat anything because you are suppose to weigh less in the morning. Does it matter? should we just remember to weight at the same time and same day each week?

So ready to shed 50lbs!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #38  

Default Tired of being tired

Hey Julie, Missy, and everyone else;
My name is Sherri and I would love to loose 50 pounds by X-mas as well. I actually started eating better and exercising on Aug.1st (my 28th b-day). I have made it my goal that I am not going to be fat this year. I didn't know about this group until my sister (Missy) e-mailed me earlier this week. I don't have a particular goal in mind but I know that I don't want to stay in a size 16.

I am a single mom of an amlost four yr old little boy, I am a preschool teacher during the day and a college student at night. I have struggled with my weight all my life and I'm tired of being the heavy one in the family. I have come to the realization that I eat when I am bored and I tend to eat junk food most of the time. I am in a constant battle with depression, which doesn't help matters but since starting this diet on Monday I feel better about my self and I have alot more energy.

Weighing in on Friday mornings sounds great, but I have to be at work at 6:30. If I don't get a chance to weigh in, I will have my sister weigh in for me. I think it is wonderful to know that there is a support group out there to hold me accountable every week. I am really excited and I will talk to everyone later.
txmom2ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #39  

Default Have room for one more?

Hi Everyone!

I would love to join! I am a working mom (teacher) with a husband and one child. I NEED to lose some weight. Each year it creeps up and up. Overall I would love to lose 60 pounds but 50 is good to. I think I am going to do WW. I am creating meal plans for each week.month. So that I do not have to think about it. I really wish i was Oprah. I would have enough money to hire a chef.

Anyway let me know if you have room.

Kathy (bearsmommy)
Bearsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #40  
Rowing Mama

[QUOTE=txmom2ty]
If I don't get a chance to weigh in, I will have my sister weigh in for me. [QUOTE]

Now, Sherri, it's no fair posting someone else's weight! As much as you may not like it, you will have to weigh yourself!!!

Okay, really bad joke! It just hit me funny when you said you'd have Missy weigh in for you!

Glad you found us, Sherri! Thanks for sharing your bio.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #41  
Rowing Mama

Default Weigh-In 08/0/05

Hey gals- I'm checkin' in. I'm down 1.5 pounds. (203.5 last fri, 202 today) I can't get those silly tickers below to show half-pounds! This is also my PMS week, so I'm hoping in two weeks to see some more down, since I do tend to keep water weight around this time.

Even better, my measurements show I'm down 1.5 inches in my thighs (I measured and remeasured to see if there was a 'bigger' place, and I couldn't find anything!) That I love! I gained a bit in waist, biceps, but lost in my thighs and calves

I have picked a tile in our bathroom to set the scale on to make sure it weighs evenly. I'll be weighing in after I get up in the mornings on Fridays. I think as long as you pick a regular time, it works the same.

Amy- you are too funny! It took me a minute, I was thinking "Oh, poor girl, she's really had a bad day and has too many to share." until I realized you were talking about other kinds of sags! LOL

Kathy- Welcome! Welcome! As it's getting later in the weeks, I think the probability of losing 50 by Christmas becomes pretty minute, depending on how much you had to lose in the first place. The moral of that story is please don't be frustrated if it doesn't happen. Honestly, if we all lost 25 by Christmas that would be awesome. I'd be in a size 14! I could shop with the normal people. I'm impressed with your meal planning. I go in fits and sta
rts with that.

All right, time to 'fess up everyone!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #42  

OK, here it goes...

I weighed on Tues and it was 168, this morning it was 167. Hoping the strength training has something to do with that. But, a pound is a pound and I'll take it gladly. About 35 more to go!

Sherri (for those of you who didn't see before, is my sister) emailed her weigh-in last night. Starting Mon, she was 205 and as of last night she's down to 197!!!! YIPEE!!

Don't let the thought of getting on a scale discourage you! It's just a number to work with. Concentrate on how you feel, and how good what you are working on is for you!

My sag for today....I was up most of the night w/ my son throwing up! My brag is that despite that, after having to weigh in, I will still work out!! (Sherri is coming to town later today and she'll drag my rear out there even if I don't feel like it, it's fail proof )

Have a good one, and welcome to the new members!!! Glad you're here!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #43  

Default Wooohoooo!!!!!!

Ok Girlies~ Last week I weighed myself and weighed a whopping 273 lbs. But today I stepped on the scale not expecting ANY change at all. Much to my suprise it said 268!!! I rubbed my eyes and still 268!! I HAVE LOST 5 POUNDS!!!!!!

Now I am all excited and believe more now than I did that I CAN and WILL do this!! I WILL NOT LET FOOD CONTROL MY LIFE!!! I am off to use the tread mill some more!!

Thank you all so much for all the support that you give, KEEP IT COMIN'!!!!

And BY ALL MEANS KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!! I want to see "less" of you all!!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #44  

WAY TOO GO AMYSUE!!!
Missy
Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmedcalf
WAY TOO GO AMYSUE!!!
Missy
Thank you!! And congrats to you and your sis a well!! Keep up the good work!!