Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #16  

Talking

Hi I am new and I really want to do this. My name is Gina and I have a five year old daughter. Just one but I still have 50lbs to lose. I need a group to keep me motivated. I have read all of the groups and I just felt like I didn't fit in to any of them. Friday is a good day for weigh in for me. I am excited.
gina71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #17  
Rowing Mama

S/C/G: 202/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Default Scales or measurements, we don't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbootie
Julie,

50 lbs does seem like alot, but I think that it is a good goal to have. Even if we don't loose it we can sure try. Friday's for a weigh in sounds good. Guess I better go buy a scale. The only reason I even know my weight is because I was just at the Doctors. I haven't weighed myself in years!!!
If you'd rather just take measurements rather than buy a scale, I'm sure that'd be fine. Then you can just get on the scale someplace else. Whatever you are comfortable with.
julieofarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #18  
Rowing Mama

Hey Gina- I'm hope you'll feel like you fit okay here. We've all be where you're at (with 1 little), and we remember! Be talkin' with ya soon...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #19  
Rowing Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmedcalf
Hey everyone,
I'm a 31 yr. old stay-at-home mom of 3 (ages 8,soon to be 7, & soon to be 5) and also a p/t student. Would love some support and accountablility in the weight loss area! Friday weigh-ins sound like they would work, but I can't promise it will be in the a.m. My hubby just designed a strenght training routine (he's an avid weight lifter) and I plan on starting to it tonight. Wish me luck!
Missy
Yeah Missy! I'm glad you're here! (Missy and I go way back- like high school! I watched her pour more quarts of oil into her RX7 than should be allowed. And college! And weight lifting partners! And she was my maid-of-honor!) Since we had talked on the phone, I didn't reply initially, then I realized how rude that looked to the rest of us! So, a big ole' Texas welcome from Colorado!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #20  

Ok, I am off to go have a chicken salad for lunch. I am so excited. I know I can do this. Thanks
Gina
gina71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #21  
~Mom on a Mission~

Default I'm in~

Hi ladies~
I'm in for this one as well - I have *way* more than 50 lbs to lose but it's a start (and how motivating!!).

I have 3 little ones (3, 2, and almost 3 months) and I'm breastfeeding - but I have SO much milk, I doubt it will be a problem. Plus, I'm really going for lifestyle change here rather than drastic starving weightloss.

Julie, I don't think I qualify for MOMYS (isn't it 4 under 8yrs. old?) - but I'll be there soon enough, Lord willing!!

Friday is weigh-in day - don't have a scale but I'm going to just check in with how I'm doing. I'm also going to try the 'find a too-small item of clothing' idea. Let's see...I have a dress that is a bit too small - I'll start with that. If I can get to where that dress is too large, then I'll know I'm doing good.

Talk to ya soon!
MommaB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 180/173/140

Height: 5ft. 8

Well, HOWDY!! Jules and hello to everyone else. I am not following any particular "meal plan", but am trying to up the fruits and veggies and cut back on the rest. Hoping to sit down tomorrow and mark out my goals. And I've already got the "motivation jeans" hanging in my closet!! Think I'm off to attempt my new strength training routine!! Talk to everyone tomorrow!
Missy
txmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #23  
Rowing Mama

Default Hey Lori!

This is fun! You gals will just have to make sure and kick me in the backside when it gets to being not fun, okay?

I'm so glad you're here too Lori! I get to see Lori on a fairly regular basis since we go to church together. We both seem to be pretty busy lately (her with her new baby, and me with I don't know what exactly), so we've been short on girl time. I'm just tickled to have a couple real life friends here as well as you new virtual friends!

As far as the MOMYS goes, I don't think anyone really knew what that meant. (MOMYS is an email list for moms with at least 4 children ages 8 + under, or who've had that many under 8 ever.) I was just hoping to find some other moms with young children who would understand some of the weight loss challenges that presents. You all definitely qualify!

I'm doing about 1600 calories a day, which isn't very drastic, but combined with the exercise *should* bring about the desired effect.

And Lori, if you just want to weigh in, you're welcome to drop by my house and use mine. Some people prefer not to use them at all, so that's cool too, I just wanted to offer. I bought one of those fancy digital ones that goes to the nearest halfpound when I tried doing the WW online stuff..... oh, I guess it was 8 years ago?... Anyhow, it's right on accurate with the real doctor type scales at the YMCA.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #24  

Okay!! I would love to join this group as well. My name is Amy, I am married to a wonderful man for almost 5 years and mommy to one (yes only one) daugter, who will be two in October. I want to loss 50# by Christmas for a number of reasons: my health, my self and above all my family. I don't want to leave then just yet. My daughter is now at the fun exploring age and I feel as though I can't keep up with her sometimes. And just the other day she picked up on that and asked me if I was ok. I have a problem with portion control and motivating myself to excersise. I am a work at home mom running my own business which keeps me at the computer for a greater portion of the day. So I am looking forward to getting to know you all and to lose 50# by CHRISTMAS!!!!!
AmySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #25  
Rowing Mama

Default Welcome AmySue

Hi Amy Sue! You and Gina both are in the 1 kid club, so you're not alone.

As far as exercising at home, the personal trainer I'm working with at the Y (that's a nice way of saying I'm paying tons for her time.... ) keeps showing me exercises I can 'do at home with the kids'. I think I need to tell her I come to the Y on purpose- so I don't have to try to exercise with them around my feet. (I've tried that for years, and as we have added more children and they've gotten older but not old enough to be trusted to stay out of trouble on their own for a bit, it's just gotten more difficult.) I just find that funny- some things she's recommending are: walking lunges (takes me back to cross country in high school), squats with a chair under you, push-ups against the wall rather than on the floor (I'm a wimp and can't do them on the floor, on knees or otherwise- now Missy, that girl can rock with her upper body!) and getting in the push-up position and just holding yourself up by tightening abs. I'm sure this makes absolutely no sense, so I'm not sure why I typed it up.

I think one thing I am going to do is to keep track of how many times I go up/down the stairs by putting a paper & stickers or pen at the top of the 2nd floor and the basement door. I tend to avoid going up and down, so it would naturally help me in the exercise department just to do that regularly instead of piling things on the steps to be carried up later. I'll have to think up some good non-food reward for making 100 trips or something (and that should easily happen in a week- our laundry is generated upstairs, but the washer and dryer is in the basement. )
Old 08-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #26  

Default hello!

I was going to say hello to everyone who hopped aboard and as I read, I realized there were so many that I couldnt remember their names! But hello to you all nevertheless and of course good luck! Julie...you seem so motivated...could you throw a little of that my way?
momof3hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #27  
Jamngclub

Smile Count me in too, please :)

Hi everyone!!

I'm Jen currently a sahm to 2 girls (ages 7 and 5) I say currently because I will probaly be going back to work in the fall when the kids are in school (well, if I can find a job after being home 6 yrs - hee hee) Anyways, I will be 29 next month (9/12) and NEED to lose some weight. 50lbs would be great by Christmas!! hee hee

My short term I goal is to lose 75lbs total. Ideally I would like to 100-125, but I could live with 75lbs.

Anyone have any good advise? I have had NO luck in my dieting attempts in the past. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jen
Jamngclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 AM   #28  
~Mom on a Mission~

Default Exercise?

I'm not sure how you ladies want to do this? Should we just check in each day with how we are doing as far as eating and exercising go??

Today, I ate "OK" - meaning less than I used to eat, more than I should have eaten. But then dh came home and decided we were taking a family walk. We grabbed our "hospitality meal" and headed to a new family we have just met recently. (our walks usually include giving away some of our extra food, which I guess is good for our health as well!)

We ended up walking for about an hour - which is good for us!

I also have a stair stepper machine - but it KICKS MY BUTT!! I'm gonna see if I can learn how to adjust it and see if I can get it any easier to start off with. Right now, I can only do 1-2 min. - seriously.

Dh has also agreed to purchasing an exercise video of some sort, to help me out at home. Can anyone recommend something?? I'm wondering about this Pilates craze I've heard about? Any suggestions??

Ok, time to hit the hay~
MommaB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 180/173/140

Height: 5ft. 8

Hey gals,
I'm also having a hard time remembering who posted what, so this is a catch all answer to several comment! Julie, as for the push up hold, it's AWESOME! For those of you who don't know, I had all the children by c-section, and NOT the nice little bikini cut kind. I got the big, up and down mondo inscision (emergency on the first baby). Needless to say, my abs are not what they used to be! Get into a push up position (be sure and keep you back level) and hold. It works LOTS of muscles and great for the abs!!

As for the stair stepping machine, I also have one but can't do it for very long. (Yeah, I know Julie, the 30 mins. on it at the Colvin Center at OSU seems AGES ago). I can set mine to where I'm simply walking slowly up. Like that setting a lot! As for Pilates vidoes, I have a couple, but my issue is ABS ABS ABS! The beginning moves are great, I really like them, but to do the more advanced stuff, my abs just don't hold up. My main issue w/ videos is like what Julie was saying, can't keep kiddos out from under my feet. Maybe someone else can suggest something?!

Someone mentioned Julie as motivating! You came to the right person for that! When she puts her mind to something, everybody better watch out!!! It's gonna get done!! Love ya, Julie!!

Well, girls, off to run errands in town. Thanks to ya'll (I can say ya'll cause I'm from TX!!) I will be taking the monster sized water bottle in tow!!

Have a great day!
Missy
txmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #30  

Default Good Morning Everyone

There are so many of us that I justed wanted to mention a quick Hello to everyone. My dh offered me some chocolate chip cookies last night and I turned them down, I am so proud of myself. That is a first for me. I have never said no to chocolate. I am beginning to really think that I can do this. I have had some doubts but I can see a glimpse of me now skiiny and beautiful. I hope all is well with everyone and I hope you all have a Good Day!!!
bigbootie is offline   Reply With Quote