Old 07-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #1  
Rowing Mama

S/C/G: 202/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Default MOMYS Seeking to Lose 50# by Christmas

Hey gals- I'm a 31 year old MOMYS (Mother of Many Young Siblings) with 4 ages 8, 5, 3, 2 and planning to lose 50 # by Christmas. Anyone else wanna come along for the ride?

I'm working towards some specific fitness goals so I can do some competitve rowing next year. I've been eating along the lines of what is recommended in the Perricone Prescription, but mostly just lean meats and fruits and veggies.

Julie
julieofarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #2  

Default I'm in!!

I will go along with you. I want to lose 50# by Christmas. I started Adkin's 3 days ago. This is day #4 for me. So far ...so good. I am determined to get this weight off this time & KEEP IT OFF! I have a 9 year old and I am 28. Keep in touch!
Jamie

Last edited by tamemejamie1977; 07-31-2005 at 11:26 AM. Reason: sign off
tamemejamie1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:50 AM   #3  

Wow we have so much in common. I am 26 and have tw0 boys 10 and 5. I want to lose 50 pounds by december too. I graudate from college in feb. so I want to look good. mabe we can keep in touch. I am doing akins too but I cant seem to keep on track. I only lost three pounds and it has been two weeks so I need a little help lol.
bsweet2selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #4  
Rowing Mama

Great Jamie & bsweet! I'm did Atkins a couple years ago, and really had some TMJ issues with it. So, I'm loosely following the food plan in the Perricone Prescription (lots of lean fish and poultry, with berries & melons and the dark veggies, some nuts). I'm considering joining Weight Watchers here, but it seems like a lot of money just for that. (And I get a little obsessive about counting points!) Overall, my plan is to work my way through this weight at the gym while making healthy, sensible food choices.

Do we want to pick a weigh in day so we can keep each other accountable? (I didn't lose anything this last week, but since I've been in the gym the last couple weeks that makes me happy since muscle weighs more than fat.)

I was able to buy a pair of size 18's in capri pants yesterday. That's big stuff for me. I also bought a pair of 16's so I can still wear them 10 pounds from now. I read someone around here saying they buy new clothes a size smaller as a motivation. I think that idea may have some merit.

Anything particular you gals want out of this buddy thing?

bsweet- I just started back to college to finish my BA in History. I'll be taking about 9 hrs. this fall and 9 this spring, in addition to being wife, mom, homeschool teacher, and woman on a mission to lose this weight. What's your degree in?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #5  

i'm in too! 35 and 2 kids - ages 7 and 4. i'm just shy of wanting to lose 50lbs, but close enough. i need a regular place i can check in, weigh in, and just chat. i find the board bit overwhelming, so it would be nice to have one group to call 'home'. i'm trying weight watchers - but not officially (i just have all the stuff from my last failed attempt at joining them). my vices - eating after the kids go to bed, and portion size.
bellarotunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 PM   #6  

Default I Soo Want On This Bandwagon!

Hey there.... Dont leave me behind! Ive been lurking around for awhile now, trying to see just how this thing works and thinking I would like more of a buddy situation. I have way more than 50 to lose at this point, but 50 by Christmas would make a huge dent I think. Ive got little ones myself so hopefully Ill fit right in Angie
momof3hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #7  
Rowing Mama

Default Good Little Group Goin'

Well, we're forming a good little group here! I'm so excited to meet each of you. Welcome, Angie & Bella. I'm so glad to see so many of us with little ones. It gets harder and harder to make good choices for yourself, both in the food and exercise realm, with little ones needing so many things from you. I am finally adopting the 'airplane oxygen' philosophy- I can't take care of them well until I've taken care of myself. Not in a selfish way, but if I'm an overweight, unfit mom, I can't by the mother, wife, homemaker I want to be.

Is everyone up for Friday AM's as weigh-in days? (I'm also taking measurements once a month, and comparing them at www.mybodycomp.com . Just be forewarned that my body fat % was waaaaay off- even the bio-impedence thing the PT used somewhat as a joke after doing the body composition caliper stuff said about 10 percent lower than my physical measurements calcuation did. I haven't heard back from her yet as to what the total is.)

Off to put my littlest two down for naps and have the oldest read to the 5 year old.

Julie
Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #8  
Rowing Mama

Default Christmas Breakdown

Hi again! I wanted to 'talk out loud' about this 50# thing. I don't want to get to October and think, "Whoa! This isn't possible!" because I messed around early on. For me, losing the 50 will require a steady loss of about 2#/week. I'm not going to crash diet or compromise muscle mass in order to make a silly goal. So, here's some mini-goals I'm thinking on:

By Labor Day: -10 #
By Halloween (or Reformation Day): -16 (26 total)
By Thanksgiving: -8 (34 Total)
By Christmas: -8 (42 total)

Most of us, unless we've been at this a while will probably drop more than the 2# a week at the beginning. I started counting towards this two weeks ago, which would add another 4 lbs. avg. to the total of 46. That's still a little agressive, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Is 50 too much to aim for? Should we say 40? Or aim for 50 just to see if we can make it?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 PM   #9  

Default hi there...

Friday weigh day sounds perfect! I think I am going to stick to the 50 lb. thing. I just have SO MUCH to lose. My youngest will be 2 at the end of this month and I am still breastfeeding. Up until this point, I have been eating carefully and plentiful. He is only nursing now for comfort and I am comfortable with eating way less now. I dont know about the whole measuring inches thing. I have never been confident with the idea that I am measuring the exact same spot as the last time...if that makes any sense. Anyway, I am still toying with what exactly I am going to be eating. That pericone? plan sounds interesting but Im not a big meat eater. I MUST STAY AWAY FROM THE SKITTLES! lol. Anyway...I am so glad to have met you, and am thrilled to have somewhere to post my weight and not hang my head in shame. I have been so depressed and am feeling rather hopeful right now. Thanks
momof3hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #10  

Unhappy

Hey girls! Wait for me! I am a 29yr old married mother of 3. A ten yr old, 7yr old, and the baby just turned 1. Currently, I am a stay at home mom, and a nontrad student at the local UW. I was planning on getting my BA in Education, but then we had a little surprise... (our baby) so I am still in school but now taking it very S...L...O...W.... I think I'll be taking this semester off, as the last two with the new addition to our family were REALLY TOUGH!
I don't know about you guys, but I have tried EVERY diet pill on the market, and nothing has worked. I know the only way to lose the weight is to exercise but I just don't have the motivation. I try for a few days and then give up. A support system would be awesome!! My golden birthday is December 30th. I really don't want to enter my thirties with this extra weight....
bbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #11  
Rowing Mama

Cool, bbmom! Glad you're here. And I'm still sticking to the 50# thing as well, Angie.

I downloaded a free trial of the Weight-by-date program from www.weightbydate.com last night, and I think I'm really going to like it. It accounts for measurements and weight, tracks calories, tracks exercise, water, journal notes, etc. For visual folks, it offers graphs and charts of your progress and projected finish date for your goal. It also tells you what, given you height, body fat percentage you should be at at goal, and if that's a healthy range. It costs $39.95 to buy, but I think I'll end up doing it anyhow (that's cheaper than WW or other things to help you track).

BTW, I was a good girl and drank all my water yesterday and was up peeing every couple hours last night! Arrrggh! I need to work towards finishing my water earlier in the day, obviously. Also, I know my body will get acclimated to being well hydrated and regulate that better. Until then I may lovingly request that my dh switch sides of the bed with me!

Julie
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/173/140

Height: 5ft. 8

Hey everyone,
I'm a 31 yr. old stay-at-home mom of 3 (ages 8,soon to be 7, & soon to be 5) and also a p/t student. Would love some support and accountablility in the weight loss area! Friday weigh-ins sound like they would work, but I can't promise it will be in the a.m. My hubby just designed a strenght training routine (he's an avid weight lifter) and I plan on starting to it tonight. Wish me luck!
Missy
txmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #13  
Rowing Mama

So, there are 8 of us to date:

me (Julie)
tamejamie1977 (Jamie)
bsweet2selina
bellarotunda
txmedcalf (Missy)
bbmom
bigbootie (Ailah)
momof3hes (Angie)

And we're going to weigh in on Fridays and post our pounds lost/gained (gasp!). Why don't we also post our exercise hours for the week? That'll help make sure we're not just starving ourselves....

Also, let's pick something in our closets that's a size too small or just doesn't fit well, and work towards getting into it. (My personal trainer is having me do this besides just weighing.) Make sure to let us know when you fit into yours so we can cheer you on!!!! (People around here seem to love dancing bananas!) I'm chosing two things- a pair of size 16 capris and a knee-length tank dress that fits rather close (too close! I look pregnant in it right now!).

We can talk about creative ways to get some exercise with little ones around, if anyone needs some ideas. I'm sure everyone has something to share about that.

I'll find out if we need to move this from the buddy area to the support group list or if the moderators will do that for us.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #14  

Default Hello Ladies

My name is Aila and I also have the goal of loosing 50lbs by XMAS. (Hopefully) I am a mother of 4, they are 10,9,4 & 6 months. I do not have a specific diet that I am following. I am just watching what I eat, and exercising. I am glad to be a part of your group and look forward to getting to know all of you.
bigbootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #15  

Default 50 Lbs BY Xmas

Julie,

50 lbs does seem like alot, but I think that it is a good goal to have. Even if we don't loose it we can sure try. Friday's for a weigh in sounds good. Guess I better go buy a scale. The only reason I even know my weight is because I was just at the Doctors. I haven't weighed myself in years!!!
bigbootie is offline   Reply With Quote