Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 199/194/152

Height: 5'9"

Hi S.A.L. -- I was actually down to 168 or so about a year and half ago and I felt great. I was in the "normal" range of my BMI wearing size 8s and 10s. But I was also surprised my how much weight I still could lose -- I didn't feel nearly ready for a bikini or anything of that sort. So that's where I'm guessing 152 as a good guess for a goal weight, but am totally open to adjusting as necessary. I'm not stuck on the number at all---more how I look. Frankly, I'd love to be someone that had more muscle and weighed more as a result---then I'd have less to lose! but I'm pretty sure that's not me. I also think the "normal" range for our BMI is something like 125-168, though I can't imagine being less than 145 as an absolute low. But who knows...

As for the weight gain, just life -- joblessness (back there again unfortunately and a new relationship. Both added a lot to anxiety and depression (the joblessness, not the bf). I did a lot of reading about how food, especially carbs, affect brain chemistry and learned how they can act very similar to anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds in the short term (until you hit the low and then need more to get that high back again). I'd always heard of emotional eating but didn't really understand the breadth of what that could mean. So for the past year and half, I've been working on dealing with emotions and stress through other means than eating. Exercise is a great help in this, but also just being more mindful of my emotions and not going on automatic pilot and letting myself "feel" them rather than covering them up with cookies.

I stopped the upward gain, but hadn't really been ready to truly lose the weight until now. I wasn't quite yet in the right head space, but now I am and I'm using the South Beach diet as my means to accomplishing that goal. I was hesitant to do something like that because I thought it was going to be some fad, yo-yo diet, but I read the book over the weekend after a recommendation from a friend and it made a lot of sense. Frankly, I think it's really a lot of common sense that perhaps I just wasn't ready to hear yet. Anyway, that's my deal and I'm excited to be in the Tall Girls thread! I can't wait to follow in your footsteps! 177-- awesome!!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #407  

S/C/G: 199/194/152

Height: 5'9"

One more thing, SAL, I come from a tall family too. I was literally 20 or so before I realized that 6'2" wasn't the average height for a guy (the current bf is 6'3" and the former bf was 6'5"). One of my brothers is 6'0" and we tease him all the time about being the shorty in the family too! I moved up to SF from SoCal for school, and folks are generally shorter up here. Not sure why, but men that are over 6'0" are definitely the exception rather than the rule. And if you took out the transplants like my bf, I bet the number goes down even further.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 283/278/185

Height: 5'10"

I am glad I found this thread too! I am 6'1'' and I don't look my weight but I do feel it hence why I am trying to take it off... When I weighed 174 at this height, I was wearing a size 12! That's where I am aiming for....
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #409  

S/C/G: 249/237/190

Height: 5' 11"

hi there Eriluo, saw you joined the Canadian thread too! I'm feeling pretty dejected and useless at this right now and I know thats not a good place to be! The right attitude make all the difference in the world. I'll have to try to get it back and look around for some great inspiration that is everywhere on this site.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #410  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

I feel ya JJ! I was reading a thread last night about when people reach their goal- how anticlimactic it was, that it was WAY less exciting than they ever thought it would be; but the day they DO remember, the date embedded in their minds is the day they said enough is enough- FOR REAL this time, and changed their eating habits forever. I do good one day & horrible the next it seems, so Im there with you, needing to get to that great first day I will remember forever!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #411  

Hey there all!
So this morning I weighed in at 242....SOB I wish I could talk myself into this again.

Anyone out there doing the 30 day shred?

I have also heard one can become addicted to exercise!?!? I WANT that addiction!!

Laura! Keep up the good work...you've lost 24 lbs!! I had actually been down 12 lbs but 4 have come back on. I did just come back from a short holiday with my hubby and put on two lbs while away. Just have to get back at 'er!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #412  
Ms. Fat Smasher

S/C/G: 338/329/175

Height: 6'0

Hi all. I joined this site earlier this year, but started Atkins a week ago. Like eriluo, my goal is to get down to 170ish. I weighed in at 337 last week, and this morning weighed in at 326.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #413  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

Hey everyone! I'm excited to see this thread!! I'm 5'11 and have always been told "I'm not fat, I'm just tall." Well then how come I have rolls on my stomach and a disgusting double chin? I have just recently restarted on this site and I'm ready to COMMIT! No excuses this time, no cheating, just going to be honest with myself and plan, plan plan. I'm shaped like an apple, I carry all my weight in my stomach and butt and I'm ready for that to go! I look forward to talking with all you lovely tall ladies!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #414  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'8

I am 5'8 or so...no one believes i weigh as much as i do which is good. I feel uncomfortable though..today i went to the gyno and was saying how i wanted to lose weight before we get pregnant and she laughed and told me to get on the scale..she couldnt believe her eyes..i am TOP HEAVY and would like to lose a cup size or 2...lol
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #415  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Canada View Post
Hey there all!
So this morning I weighed in at 242....SOB I wish I could talk myself into this again.

Anyone out there doing the 30 day shred?

I have also heard one can become addicted to exercise!?!? I WANT that addiction!!

Laura! Keep up the good work...you've lost 24 lbs!! I had actually been down 12 lbs but 4 have come back on. I did just come back from a short holiday with my hubby and put on two lbs while away. Just have to get back at 'er!

OMG, i always tell my husband how much I want to become addicted to exercise. lol...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #416  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel83 View Post
I am 5'8 or so...no one believes i weigh as much as i do which is good. I feel uncomfortable though..today i went to the gyno and was saying how i wanted to lose weight before we get pregnant and she laughed and told me to get on the scale..she couldnt believe her eyes..i am TOP HEAVY and would like to lose a cup size or 2...lol
I think that happens to us tall girls a lot. When I was weighing 170's....this Nursing Instructor I had heard me say how I wanted to lose about 10 lbs; he laughed and said "you can't weigh an ounce over 150...." So I stepped on a scale and showed him how well us tall girls can hide the weight. I think it can be more damaging to ourselves too, because everyone says we are ok or healthy, when all the BMI calculators and recommended weight tables say otherwise.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #417  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I guess I should introduce myself. :P
I'm 26, married for 4 years, and I just had my first baby back in August! I gained 50 lbs with the pregnancy, not because I was going crazy eating (just the occasional chocolate milkshake) but I lost about 38 lbs of it after I had him. I'm a Critical Care Nurse and work 12 hour night shifts, and on top of that am completely my bachelors degree. So even though I have plenty on my plate, I know my health should be a priority. I am trying to get me and my husband eating healthy and exercising so we can be an example to our new boy.
I am not certain if my goal should be 160 or not, guess I won't know until I get closer.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #418  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
So I stepped on a scale and showed him how well us tall girls can hide the weight. I think it can be more damaging to ourselves too, because everyone says we are ok or healthy, when all the BMI calculators and recommended weight tables say otherwise.
hey everyone, tall girl here, been off the forum for some time but trying to catch up; I absolutely agree with you on this, I'm tired of people treating me badly about the weight issue or dismissing it as a female fad or obsession - I am far from that, I lost weight slowly with healthy eating and exercising and I just want to reach my "ideal" "doctor's said it" weight. Not to become stick thin. It's just that most of my weight is in my belly and I hide it beneath clothes. Then a tiny pocket of fat here, another one there.. really hard to see, they consider me already ok and it's kinda frustrating. Especially being an apple shape, I have the most dangerous kind of fat, my waist is absolutely disproportioned and I am over the recommended guidelines... I'm really worried about my visceral fat and can't wait until my belly finally shrinks down to the healthy range.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #419  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
I guess I should introduce myself. :P
I'm 26, married for 4 years, and I just had my first baby back in August! I gained 50 lbs with the pregnancy, not because I was going crazy eating (just the occasional chocolate milkshake) but I lost about 38 lbs of it after I had him. I'm a Critical Care Nurse and work 12 hour night shifts, and on top of that am completely my bachelors degree. So even though I have plenty on my plate, I know my health should be a priority. I am trying to get me and my husband eating healthy and exercising so we can be an example to our new boy.
I am not certain if my goal should be 160 or not, guess I won't know until I get closer.
Hey there!! I just wanted to say hi & introduce myself cause we have so much in common! Similar height, your smaller than me but we have similar goals, & I am also in nursing school! Im an LPN at a SNF, but graduating from my ADN program in May- CANT WAIT to be done with school FOREVER!!!! & by forever I mean until Im pressured in to getting my Bachelors Anyways, keep up the good work!! Us nurses gotta represent & be healthy!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #420  

Hey ladies,

I'm always checking this site out but lately I haven't been posting since i felt like i was not budging on the scale at all.

The more I look around, the more I see positive and uplifting people and it seems no matter how hard i try I can't seem to get into the right frame of mind. Sometimes I wonder if I should head on over to the depression forum but yet, I'm not on meds, and I don't think I'm overly depressed.

I just heard the other day from a friend of mine that we are in control of our "psyche" and if we think positive thoughts we become a positive person, and vice versa. i'll have to try that and be like the "little engine that could"

Right now I have joined a BIGGEST LOSER group in my home town and the scale is finally moving again. it seems the motivation is here again and I hope it stays! We all had to pay $25 to join, and at every weekly weigh in if we stay the same or gain we pay $5. If we lose we pay nothing. At the end of the 6 weeks whoever lost the most percentage of fat wins the pot of money!!

My goal is to not to pay the $5 every week. Not so much the pot at the end, but don't get me wrong, the pot would be great too!!

I have made it down to 236.8 lbs and my goal is to see the 220's again!!

JJ
Closed Thread